100 lb. Club - Smoothie Ideas?

View Full Version : Smoothie Ideas?

2phatinvictoria
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Morning All,
I usually Have a fruit smoothie with my oatmeal every morning. I am afraid that in time I am going to get bored of it. As of right now i look forward to every morning, and its a nice easy way to get my fruit in:) My question is does anyone else here make their own smoothie types things? and if so do you have any fave recipes your willing to share with me??

Right Now My smoothie goes usually like this..
(frozen fruit mind you.. i like it really cold!)
approx-4-5 strawberries
approx-6-8 blueberries
Approx-2-3 slices of peaches (yumm)
And 1 med banana
added with some juice ( the juice is made with water and one of those crystal light packages so really its just flavoured water) and only enough so that it blends

It is a super great thing that i love starting my day to just looking to broaden my smoothie making abilities.. speaking of which i am off to make one:)

BeachBreeze2010
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Great topic! :D

I just went to Sam's club over the weekend and bought giant bags of frozen fruit. I put milk, ice and lowfat vanilla yogurt in the blender and mix, then add frozen fruit and blend again (my poor blender can't handle all of it at once!). It makes a huge pitcher-full that gives an 8 oz glass for myself, two DDs and a larger glass for DH. (I am working on getting him to eat less, but for now I will take the better quality!)

The bag of fruit was $8, the yogurt $3 and the milk $2. It makes 5 blender-fulls. $13/20 servings = cheap, healthy and very yummy snack for my family!

NightAngel26
03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
well, I've been making them on occasion. I use whatever I'm thinking of at the time. I try to keep frozen raspberries,strawberries,blueberries around in general. I also like banana, but my kids too too! lol. OH Pineapple is to die for! I use canned usually for that. I sometimes add orange juice, but often use just water and plain low fat or non-fat yogurt... also might try strawberry yogurt or wahtever... I have a pineapple yogurt in there too. I used pineapples, orange juice, a banana, yogurt, coconut shavings and ice one time, turns out great! Some smoothies without juice I have to add an artificial sweetener. I just bought this new one I like better than Splenda or nutrisweet called Nevella.

I'll have to try it with crystal light some time I drink a ton of it because I'm not loving just water. I prefer white grape or one of the teas often. Also if you want to get in a good amount of fiber, All-Bran has a pink lemonade flavored to-go stick that doesn't taste bad or have a bad texture. 10gs of fiber in that I think.

Oh, also I have added whipped cream to the blender before too, the non-dairy kind.... kind of a nice little addition. ;)

2phatinvictoria
03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh whipped cream yumm lol Today i used the raspberry ice crystal lite and omg! sooooooo goooood:)

Gourmet Bean
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I love using about 8 largeish blackberries (I buy the frozen unsweetened ones), 3-4 large strawberries, 3 spoonfuls of plain low-fat/no-fat yogurt, and a bit of skim milk so it blends. It's my faaavorite smoothie.

mortonpixie
03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
You might try some protein powder in there...The Biggest Loser has some that will give you the flavor of the crystal light plus protein and 5g of fiber. I do that, 1c of skim milk, 1/2 a banana, and 1/2c of frozen berries.

cfmama
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I really like one with a large banana, source vanilla yogurt cup, cup of skim milk and 1 T of peanut butter. I'll also put in a T of flax seeds. Yum!

Summerblue
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Oooooh that sounds good - esp. since I excersize in the AM - that will be great in Summer.

Right now, I'm still excited about my Special K cereal - I know crazy! LOL

BrittanieYork
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I have been reading up on protein powder. I have a magazine and it has a section on detoxing using plant proteins. It also gives you smoothie recipes and ingredients that you can mix and match to make something like 635 combinations. I can type it all out for you if you want. Just let me know. :)

The article was very interesting but it stressed that veggie protein powder was the best. Animal protein is much harder for you liver and other organs to break down. Yellow peas (whatever that is) and almonds are great. I am definitely looking into doing this. But it said "Lose 20 lbs and 7" around your waist in 2 weeks!", so I am kind of reluctant... I dunno.

For every 5 lbs lost
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wI3uIKw/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI3uIKw/)
Mini Goal 4: 160 - 45lbs to go
Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 50lbs to go

mammasita
03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Ive made them with flavored silken tofu. They have vanilla/chocolate/strawberry flavor. They actually turn out more like "milkshakes", regardless they are yummy.

1/4 plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup 1% milk
1 cup vanilla silken tofu
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 banana

and another:
1/4 cup chocolate silken tofu
1/4 cup 1% milk
3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 banana
about 5 strawberries

ter22ese
03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Brittanie,

what magazine is it? I would love to see the recipes. :) Thanks! Terese

junebug41
03-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I do a green smoothie with seltzer, Oj, frozen berries and a bunch of raw spinach (and psyllium).

I also make a protein shake with chocolate protein powder and light vanilla soy milk.

Oh, if you don't already, freezing the bananas makes it more smoothie like (it has an ice cream effect) :)

2phatinvictoria
03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Yumm So many sweet ideas! i cant wait for tomorrow morning to try out my next smoothie!

BrittanieYork
03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Terese ~ It's First - for women. The cover says Melt belly fat super-fast. It's the Spring issue and will be on the shelves till 4/12. Found it at WallyWorld for $2.50 :)

astrophe
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Juices-Natural-Vitality/dp/1844837998

Totally worth it. :)

A.

NightAngel26
03-30-2010, 01:43 PM
ok since I came here earlier I decided I wanted a smoothie. This one's very good actually. Today it's apple (cored and peeled), some blueberries, some light and fit vanilla yogurt (about a cup and a half for mine), some whipped cream, and ice. It came out beautifully, with the exception that my blender doesn't seem strong enough to get all the ice done up properly. It's already quite sweet and so no need for anything else for me. :hat:

NightAngel26
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I grabbed the link for that book on juices, looks interesting. I haven't been doing veggies in my juice as I'm not as fond of it that way, and my blender seems unable to deal with tougher things. I used to use a juicer instead but it can be a pain, much more than my blender. That thing was cool though I made a lot of juices with both veg and fruit very low cal.

I do usually get in enough veggies anyway now because I throw a whole bunch in anything we make that's pasta or starchy so I eat less starch. I'm still getting used to it that way, but it is filling.

ter22ese
03-30-2010, 05:29 PM
cool! Thanks Brittanie! I will be picking it up this week! :)

kaplods
03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I borrowed a few smoothie cookbooks from the library, before I started making my own. Only a few sounded interesting and unique enough to copy down - mostly I just browsed for ideas (and the combinations are endless).

c_laura
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
For a while I was making smoothies with frozen mixed berry fruit, instant oatmeal, fat free yogurt, and 1 cup of the chocolate, sugar free carnation instant breakfast (made w/skim milk). It would make 16 oz so I'd have breakfast and a snack, but I can't really afford the instant breakfast anymore and it never seems to go on sale....but it was a good way to get a large amount of fiber and protein in a yummy drink.

Elladorine
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I picked up that issue of First at Wal-mart a couple of days ago, and the article on smoothies has inspired me to get back into them.

I'm not sure what happened but I was drinking some every day from last summer to about the first of the year. And it was the about first of the year when I started on my plateau . . . hmm . . . maybe they were helping more than I thought?

When I first started making smoothies I was buying fresh berries, but eventually realized that at least in this case, the frozen ones were more beneficial. They're cheaper, they keep longer, and according to what I've read, are less likely to have lost nutrients. Plus the fact that they're frozen gives the smoothies a nice texture/temperature that makes them extra yummy (and there's no need to add ice cubes)!

I'd often use blueberries, strawberries, peaches, pineapples, banana halves, unsweetened cranberry juice, plain non-fat yogurt, milk (cow, almond, or rice), ground flaxmeal, vanilla extract, almonds, walnuts, flax oil, and olive oil. I typically focused on the berries but sometimes focused on pineapple (for a tropical flavor) or peaches and cinnamon with granola added after blending (for a sort of dessert-like smoothie). :D Sometimes I'd add a packet of no sugar added Carnation Breakfast Essentials, but I'd like to get away from that and pick up a protein powder. I felt lost with trying to pick one before, but that smoothie article suggests trying a plant-based one so I'm going to see what I can find locally. It also mentions carrot juice and chia seeds so I'm thinking about grabbing some to mix things up a bit (I've been reading a lot about chia seeds elsewhere and it sounds like an easy way to add nutrition).

I'm probably going to pick up a Magic Bullet in the next few weeks. I figure it'll be much easier to keep clean and will also keep my portion size in check (it's sooo easy to go overboard when I'm using a full-sized blender).

2phatinvictoria
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah i just bought a small blender thing from wally world.. its just 400ml and it fits perfect into a regular sized cup!! and it is way nicer than have a full blender of a smoothie i might not want tomorrow! and i just rolled to my local grocer! and frozen fruit bags were on sale!! i picked up 4 cause they were just 3 dollars usually 7.99 :)

astrophe
03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
I've actually been more into "carrot + something" than "berries + something" lately. But yeah, if you are going to go with whole juice, a good blender is a plus. Otherwise you have chunkies rather than smoothies. ;)

A.

Angihas2
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
I do fruit + yogurt + fresh spinach and grated carrots + flaxseed/wheat germ/fish oil. I can almost fit the 5 fruits and veggies in the smoothie. I drink half for breakfast amd the rest for a snack.

kaplods
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I do love my Rocket blender (similar to the Magic Bullet). I especially love that if hubby and I both want a smoothie (different flavors), we don't have to clean the blender, we just have to rinse the blade and get out another cup/comfort ring.

I find that it works better than our full-size blender (because the motor is more powerful in proportion to the smoothie volume).

mkyice
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I make mine with fat free milk and frozen fruit. Sometimes I'll throw a little vanilla extract in. The frozen fruit makes it nice and think. I like a mix of strawberries and blueberries, but my favorite way to make it is just plain frozen cherries. It can be a bit of a challenge using the frozen fruit in the blender; I find the food processor to be faster and easier.