Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #1  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Question Is JM's 30 Day Shred only for people who have a little to lose?

I read a few online reviews, and the gist of them was that Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred was really for people who have 20 pounds or less to lose. I've completed the six week Last Chance Workout and am now mixing Cardio Max and Power Sculpt. I love the Biggest Loser workouts, but I don't want to waste my money/time if I'm not up to the challenge of 30DS yet. Thanks!

Last edited by rainydays; 03-30-2010 at 03:44 AM.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I haven't seen the others, but the 30-day-shred has different levels, so the idea is when you get good at one you move to the next. Each level is a 20-minute workout that mixes 30-60 seconds of cardio (like jumping jacks) with compound exercises (squats with bicep curls, etc.) The idea is not to take a break in between to keep your heart rate up -- but of course you can do that if you want.

I suspect if you have managed her other videos you can do this one, at least at the starting level. All I was doing before was 30-60 minutes on the elliptical machine 3-5 days a week; I wanted something for on days I can't make it to the gym and this is a good alternative for me. It was challenging at first but it was mostly from using different muscles than I usually do: you might want to do it carefully the first day! I had some soreness in my thighs from the lunges the next day that I didn't expect.

The only issue is if you don't want to do the bouncing exercises -- jumping jacks and jogging in place -- because she doesn't offer any alternatives for that. The other things you can do with smaller/no weights, not doing squats and lunges all the way down, etc.

Have you looked at the video sample on Amazon? About half of it is just the beginning stretching, but it does show some jumping jacks and pushups. I can't do real pushups yet, so for one of the sets I do the knee pushups, and for the other I try to hold a plank.

Last edited by bronzeager; 03-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #3  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Okay, sounds like it's challenging but not unrealistic. Thank you so much!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote