Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #1  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Hurt myself running?

I've been doing the C25k plan and it was going really well until last week. I had just finished week 5. On Sunday 3/21 I ran for about 30 min on the treadmill (for some reason the treadmill is SO much easier to me than around a track) and was fine. On Monday I started week 6 and as I was running I noticed I was getting sore in my right calf. Nothing unusual, because let's face it, running is hard and that "burn" happens. I slowed down a bit and kept going, but it kept getting worse. Like a charlie horse or bad cramp or something. I stopped running and began walking and it eased up. i stopped for day and I stretched after and figured I'd be fine.

Only the next day, I was still in pain. I've been getting pain on and off since then, in my right calf, in my right hamstring and also in my right ankle. I eeked through a run on that Wednesday, but haven't run since. It's not terrible pain, just kind of sore and on and off.

I'm bummed out because I was doing so well and I actually LIKED running. Only now I'm afraid I hurt myself somehow. I didn't trip or land weird or anything. It's very strange.

I was planning on signing up for a 5k in early May, but now am wondering if I should. Do you think I should tough it out or go see a doctor or something?
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Is it sore like a kinda after-cramp sore? LIke a sort of residual cramp feeling? Sometimes after a bad cramp the pain/feeling sticks around for a while and stretching helps, as well as warmth. if its that kind of pain i think it'll be fine, i just usually take a longer warm up before i run. If it persists though you might want to see someone about it. It could also be a pull or tear, which I personally wouldnt run to the doctor for, but thats something you really have to decide for yourself
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Have you been properly fitted for running shoes? Makes a HUGE difference.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #4  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I second the shoe suggestion... the ankle/calf pain indicates (to me in my non expert opinion) a support problem. I also wanted to throw out the idea of getting a foam roller. They are notorious for helping all kinds of aches and pains from running. I use it on my hamstrings, ITB, quads, etc. after a long run and it keeps me pain-free. I also used it to rehab my ITB problems late last year and it works wonders. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911

I'd still stay on track with the 5k in May and work on getting yourself as injury-free as possible in the meantime! Good luck!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #5  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I have been super sore since I started going back to the gym myself. Granted, I just got new shoes so I think it's just that I've been working out consistently for the first time in forever. Someone suggested bananas. As you know, potassium helps with leg cramps. Maybe that will help too?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #6  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

i'm not sure the reason why you got the cramps in the first place but I don't think its odd that it was still there the second day. sometimes my feet get sore from running so I make sure to take some time off from running (for an extra day usually, so two days) and do the bike instead. so my suggestion is that if u get really sore, make sure to give your body enough time to recooperate!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #7  
Not so starving student

That's for the suggestions. It's been a week now, and I'm still a bit sore. It's just like a mild "after" cramp, I guess? I was fitted for a pair of running shoes at a local running store, so I'm pretty confident that it's not that (at least, it better not be, for what a good pair of running shoes cost!) I guess I'll just keep stretching and taking it easy for a bit longer before I try running again.

That foam roller thing looks cool. Maybe I'll invest.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/165/145

Height: 5'0

I think the sort of general rule is that "sore" is ok but any sharp pains should get checked out. If it was a cramp I'll second the banana suggestion! As soon as I started eating bananas every so often I havent gotten any more leg cramps! I'd continue like you are and maybe just walk a couple more days with good stretching
Yelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/175/150

Height: 5'5

I get this after some time on the elliptical.

I know you're probably stretching really well, but adding in a few calf/shin stretches has helped me a lot.

Best of luck to you, that sounds frustrating!
DCAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosekeet View Post

That foam roller thing looks cool. Maybe I'll invest.
be prepared for pain xD Esp on the IT band. Esp at first >.<
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #11  
Not so starving student

The banana suggestion is funny because I had no idea they were good for cramps, but a banana with some peanut butter is my favorite after workout snack. I've been stretching a few times a day, so i'll keep that up and try running again in a few days.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #12  
Samantha417

A month ago I had some bad pain in my achilles tendon. It was so bad that I had to limp everywhere. I stretched before and after my work outs, but it still hurt...so I put hot compresses on it. I'd try that for your ankle. But definitely take it easy for the next few days...stay on the stationary bike or something that is low intensity for your legs. You probably just really strained it, and it needs time to heal.