Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/145/115

Height: 5'4"

Default Trouble understanding exactly how many calories to eat

So. I'm 18, 5'3 3/4 and 145 pounds currently. I'm aiming to lose 2 pounds per week.
I calculated my BMR on some website and it was about 1500, then it said to multiply by 1.55 for activity level which bought me to about 2300. So If i subtract 1000 from that, thats 1300. Now do I eat 1300 calories per day or do I take my exercise into account and eat about 1600-1700 calories per day in order to lose 2+ pounds per week?

Sorry for the essay...I have the exercise part down, just not the whole diet thing haha
xxmelz91xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

On your rest days, 1300.

On workout days, go with the 1600-1700.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
On your rest days, 1300.

On workout days, go with the 1600-1700.

A.
+1

Don't think of it as an overly mathematical thing, our bodies are more complex than that. The ranges above are probably pretty good for your weight/height.

But with where you are currently don't be too surprised if you don't hit 2 lbs per week. That's a tough goal for even people with more to lose. I wouldn't go lower than the calories above to try to speed it up thought. Just prepare yourself that it might not be 2 a week.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/145/115

Height: 5'4"

okay thanks guys!!
also, one more question-does it make a difference what kind of diet I eat to lose weight at a faster rate? I mean I know I shouldn't be eating 1500 cal/day of junk food and sugar thats what got me here in the 1st place. should i eat low carb? or can I just eat any good healthy stuff I like in balance? Basically, what do I eat haha
xxmelz91xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #5  

Height: 6-1.5

I do low carb and vegetables. Protien is made of amino acids and I figure I need them. Vegetables/ fruits have vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, so I need them (raw preferably). Carbs have sugar that is stored for energy, but so do vegetables and there is some in meat, they also have soem fiber if they are "whole grain" but so do the vegetables. So Carbs are utterly useless. Some "experts" say that carbohydrates are totally useless except as filler (stomach stuffers) and also to provide more sugar to store in your fat cells. That is why I am low carb.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Those calorie counts calculators are great - until you hit a plateau and get frustrated.

Honestly, I think its a great starting point, but be flexible. You'll probably hit a place in the next few weeks or months where you want to re-evaluate.

The bottom line is that the "right" number of calories are the number that you will sustain day after day and that will result in weight loss. It's trial and error to find that. I reccommend tracking your weight/food daily so you can see what works and what doesn't. Also remember that it takes a few weeks at a certain calorie level to really deduce that it is working or not. Anything can happen in the timespan of a day or two.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There is no guarantee that if you eat X number of calories (and exercise) that you will definitely get a 2 lb weight loss per week.

These calculators are merely guesstimates and IMO, highly inaccurate and terribly misleading. You can do the same exact thing 4 weeks in a row (food wise and exercise wise) and get 4 totally different results. Weight loss is not linear and we are most definitely not machines. Things that are *supposed* to get us certain specific results more often than not - won't. Stick to your calorie allotment, track carefully for 2 - 3 weeks and re-assess as need be.

I for one would keep my calories the same, regardless of whether you've worked out that day or not. It is next to impossible to know precisely how many calories that you do in fact burn. I keep my calories consumed totally and completely separate from my calories burned. I adhere to a calorie budget. Any exercise or activity is an added bonus to me in the calorie deficit department.

You're not all that overweight and it's going to take consistency on your part to see steady results. IMO, 1700 calories may be too high to produce a deficit for you. Though of course the best way to find out is through experimentation.

As far as the foods to eat - for me, it's veggies, veggies and more veggies. VERY filling, satiating and voluminous. The veggies with low fat proteins and some fruit. Many people have success eating whole grains as well (but I don't). Eat frequently, drink water and most importantly have a plan in place. Always know what you will be eating IN ADVANCE. Have the *right* foods on hand, so that you can easily avoid the *wrong* ones.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote