General chatter - Ruby's "Change 5 Things" Challenge
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Last night on Ruby her therapist challenged her to change 5 things in her life to get her out of a weight loss rut. Not all of the things were actually food related. Ruby swore off diet soda, got rid of her "fat" lounge chair and got a new chair (smaller), committed to taking the stairs more, put some mirrors in key places around the house so she wouldn't be able to ignore her reflection, and there was one more (I forgot what it was).
I think this would be a good idea for me to do too! Anyone want to join me? It can include food or not food related things, anything to just shake it up!! I need to think about my five things...maybe you all can give me some ideas!
03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I'll join you! Hmmm, 5 things...
1. I will go through all my smaller clothes and see what fits. I have a mental block that these clothes are actually wearable since I still weigh more than when they last fit. I will then get the bigger clothes out of the closet and into storage.
2. Take the stairs at work and park in the garage more often. This adds some additional activity into my day.
3. Be more active at home. Not just structured exercise but just move around more - play with my daughter, clean, etc.
4. Stop obsessing about the scale and just worry about eating clean and getting into smaller sizes. The scale obsession is starting to derail my hard work.
5. Drink 10 glasses of water a day.
not the best 5 but all things I really need to work on.
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I never realized how bad diet soda was for you...and it can make you GAIN weight. I'm really going to try and kick my diet soda habit. Any idea of a carbonated beverage to replace with? I drink tons of water and my diet soda was a treat. I love carbonation!!!
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
justbeu, how about seltzer? Some people here make a diet 'cream' soda that sounds great.
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Justbeau, how about plain carbonated water - setlzer? I like it with a piece of lime in it and folks often think it's gin and tonic.
My five things I am going to work on changing:
1. Eating dinner so late - lunch at noon and dinner at 7 means I am ravenous
2. Drinking wine with dinner during the week
3. Drink more water
4. On sunny days, WALK down for the mail - take a dog!
5. Say "No" more often
Edited: :lol: at Mmck. We are inside each other's brain!
03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
1. More Excercise... I need to make it an everyday-no-matter-what thing.
2. Stop late night snacking!
3. Replace crystal lite and diet coke with plain ol water.
4. Stop comparing myself to other people.
5. Clean up after myself as I go, rather than ending up with a huge mess that I don't want to deal with.
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Ruth - is that a plan to drink MORE or LESS wine??!?! LOL :D
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
LOL Tammy!!! I was wondering the same thing.
1- Journal food daily- atleast in the daily thread here.
2- be more active at home- Moving during commercials if watching tv, instead of gathering everything at once take fewer things and make more trips
3- Spend some time each week individually with my kids
4- Walk the dogs everyday instead pushing them into the back yard
5- Spend time with hubby
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
This is a great thread! I'm pretty excited about this because I was just thinking about it on my drive home today. (What a coincidence!)
My Five Things:
1. :running:Of course, get to my goal weight and maintain it FOREVER!
2. :smoking:Stop Smoking!! This is going to be hard because my husband also smokes, but we both want to quit.
3. :write:Get our budget under control! I can't believe how much money we actually spend on cigarettes. When you do the math, it's very scary!
4. :coffee2:Stop drinking cokes... period and cut back on morning coffee. I have NOT had 1 DP in.... let me see...... I think it's been about 2 weeks. Which for me is AMAZING!
5. :ebike:Generally be more active. Get out with the dog and kids (We have a park literally right across the street from our house). I am starting this one already... I was proud the other day, I walked to the corner store instead of driving. Woohoo!
For every 5 lbs lost
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Mini Goal 1: 199 - 6lbs to go
Mini Goal 2: 185 - 20lbs to go - Memorial Day Challenge
Mini Goal 3: 175 - 30lbs to go
Mini Goal 4: 160 - 45lbs to go
Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 60lbs to go
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Loved yesterday's episode!!! My five things are...
1. Quit smoking (just started this yesterday, I want to be able to breathe when I jog lol)
2. Quit drinking diet coke ALLLL the time (haven't had one in quite awhile. I think I'm going to let myself have one or two a week, but no more than that. This is an improvement because I used to go through a 12 pack a week)
3. Walk the dog every day - weather permitting
4. No snacking in bed. I think I'm on like day 5 of this one, and it's haaaard.
5. No sitting on the couch while watching tv (I don't watch that much tv anyway) it's bouncing on the balance ball or no tv for me! :)
03-29-2010, 03:03 PM
This is very cool :cool:, thanks Mmc!
1. Make an effort to exercise at least 6 days a week.
2. Keep in contact with my younger family members more (send the kids cards and other things for doing well in school, etc.)
3. Stop saying "I feel fat", "I'm fat", etc. I'm better off than I was before and I am making an effort, that is what matters.
4. Budget my money better to save for emergencies and retirement.
5. Devote more time to my small business.
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Mmc, great idea! I haven't thought about it yet, but just saw that Hot Wings started http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/197945-six-week-change-5-things-challenge-march-29-may-10-2010-a.html at the Chicks up for a Challenge forum. She saw your thread and thought it was a good idea.
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
This is great, Mmckellan! I NEED to join in on this!
1. Stop drinking sodas of any kind.
2. Eat every bite in public. It's never the food that I eat in front of peers/coworkers/hubby that get me in trouble, it's the food I sneak. I will stop eating in private.
3. Do some kind of non-necessary physical activity for at least 15 minutes a day.
4. Get up hourly (at least) to check on my employees. It will get me moving more and make me a better boss; a win-win.
5. Bite my tongue when DH is being helpful/supportive even when I don't want to hear it. He truly only wants what is best for me.
03-30-2010, 03:47 AM
1.) No more fast food, even kid's meals/lower calorie options (Jamie Oliver and Doctor Oz are making me feel too guilty).
2.) Get a cute lunchbox and kiddie plates/utensils (eating small portions, even if the ingredients are physically filling, is mentally so depressing on our modern-day oversize plates and silverware).
3.) Water :dz:
4.) Lift weights more often.
5.) Switch up my meal plans BEFORE I get so sick of a food I don't want to even look at it for three months. That probably means I need to stop buying eggs in sets of five dozen.
03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I started this thread but I am going to change it up for myself. I am going to pick 5 unfinished projects and pledge to finish them by the end of April:
1. Put all hard copy photos into albums, and destroy duplicates and bad photos.
2. Organize on line photos scattered on different share sites on to one share site.
3. Create photo books for MIL, mother, and myself for Mother's Day.
4. Complete unfinished projects around the house:
a. new curtain rods in son's room
b. edge curtains in our bedroom
c. install kitchen backsplash (already in hand)
d. make list of items wanted (new living room rug, etc.)
5. File all papers.
03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I like this thread and loved the episode that the idea came from.
1) Eat the recommended daily amount of fruits and veggies every day
2) Learn and make a new healthy recipe for my family and me every week
3) Finish up all indoor projects (all require me to move more anyways :o) )
4) Do some sort of exercise everyday for at the very least,15 minutes
5) Read more and spend less time in front of the tv and computer
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Uh lemme think....
1. Go to the school gym at least 4 times a week, 2 days cardio, 2 days weight training, and if I can squeeze in a 5th day then use that for an additional cardio day.
2. Cut back on beer.
3. Stop skipping breakfast as much.
4. Try to start drawing more again to keep busy (eatting out of boredom is a killer for me).
5. Try not to stay up so late when it's not needed to prevent late night snacking.
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
I like this ...
1. Get my budget under control
2. Go to the gym at least 5 days a week
3. Start wearing my pedometer more often
4. Go through all old clothing and donate things that don't fit or that are out dated
5. Volunteer more with the Special Olympics
03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
i dig it! five things to do in April
1. no more Pepsi!!!
2. finish putting together the gym (i have a bulletin board and posters etc to put up- i've lived in my new house since November!)
3. finish household projects I've been putting off
4. plan all meals and stick with my plan
5. exercise every day