Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #1  

Default The easter candy...is not treating me well.

I love Easter candy. God, it's my favorite candy ever and I've been so horrible. I've been buying the Cadbury orange and the caramel eggs and eating tons of them! Some where in my mind, I'm justifying eating it--thinking "well this is just one time a year." "they'll be gone soon".

Really, I'm over doing it. I bought 2 of those 4 packs of the chocolate egg things--both are gone in 2 days. This isn't the first time. I know I've gained weight--thankfully not a ton, but it's not helping my overall goal which is to get back to where I was last year!

Any one else struggling through this? 1 more week!
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

You really shouldn't buy the eggs. It's almost like you're enabling yourself to eat them.

My mom-in-law always sends a package of Easter candy to our house every year. She sends a 2lb chocolate/peanut butter filled egg and a box of 50 peanut butter melt-away bunnies. This year as soon as I got the package, I didn't even bring it in the house, I walked right over to my neighbor's house and told her Happy Easter and gave her all the candy.

If it's in the store I won't bring it home and if it somehow makes it to my house I immediately give it away. It's really just all about the will power.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I put all holiday candy on "no" status 5 years ago. I don't miss it and I don't miss how I feel after eating it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have no small children at home, thankfully, so no reason to have the candy here at all. We got some Easter goodies for our granddaughters yesterday, one chocolate bunny each, plus sidewalk chalk, stuffed animals and some bubble necklaces. Today we got them some farm animal shaped eggs fillked with candy treats that my kids can hide for them to find, but not much candy at all, mostly non-edible things, and the package will leave tomorrow. I try to stay away from that aisle in the stores. Easter is not so bad for me, but Christmas is gonna be brutal.

Don't buy any more candy. If you have children, then go to the store, get what you need for them and ask someone else to hold it for you until the night before the bunny hides things.

If you let yourself, you can find a reason way too often for it to be "just this once". You CAN do this!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #5  
banned

I'm bad around Halloween. *shakes head* It's so bad.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #6  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

I try to remember that holidays are not an excuse to gorge myself. We're adults - we can have whatever food we want, whatever time of year. Easter candy isn't usually even good chocolate. I can go out any day of the year and buy really excellent chocolate if I want it. And because the stores are ridiculous about stocking the shelves way in advance of the holiday, and having big sales after, there are months, not just days, where Easter candy is available. So, it's not really just "one more week" that you need to get through. It's probably several.

You can eat whatever you want. Nobody will stop you. But nobody is forcing you to eat it, either. The Cadbury bunny is not sitting there with a gun to your head (or some other, less violent metaphor). If you really love Easter candy, maybe you can limit yourself to one a day. Or buy the mini ones (they make the cream eggs in minis) and have one of those a day. Or one every two days. Try to make it a real treat, rather than just another part of your day.

Good luck!
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful8 View Post
It's really just all about the will power.
and the good thing is that if you just don't buy it, you don't need to use will power all the time, just for that one opportunity to not have it in your house. After that, you can think about it, but since it's not Right.There you don't have to work up the willpower to not eat it.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

It's not the Easter candy that's not treating you well. It's you who have decided not to treat yourself well.

Why are you doing this?

How are you eating, otherwise? Are you on plan, except for this one thing?

When you eat these eggs, what do you do, exactly? I mean, describe what the behavior is. Do you have one after dinner, at the table, carefully unwrapping it & savoring it? Or do you leave the package open on a counter somewhere & say you'll have just one, then keep getting up & returning to it, somewhat compulsively?

To change a behavior, you need to think about why & how it happens. Because it may not just happen around Easter. There are chocolate-centric holidays scattered all over the calendar. The retailers & candy manufacturers like it that way. The "once a year" special occasion is really not so special, after all. And I don't know how old you are, but you may have 30 years of Cadbury to look forward to. So don't get sucked into "scarcity thinking" where you think it's going to all be gone forever & you'd best grab it & gobble as much as you can while it's still around. It will be there. It's a mass-manufactured thing sold in stores all over the place.

Last edited by saef; 03-29-2010 at 09:12 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I have a huge problem with holiday candy. I don't normally buy whole bags of regular candy, but put it in the shape of an egg, or in pastel colors, and I think I need to buy it. With that being said, last year, I convinced myself that I was working on losing weight, I could not buy then. It was not the last year candy companies where going to make holiday candy. I love the Dove truffle eggs. They only have them at Easter time, but you know what, Easter comes around every year. They will be here next year, and the years after. Amazingly enough, even though I didn't buy a single Dove truffle egg, the company didn't go out of business, and the Dove truffle eggs were back on the shelves this year. Fortunately, this year, the desire to buy them has passed. I didn't die without them last year, I don't have the temtation to buy them now.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

The easter candy is tough. You walk into practically any store and that cheap chocolatly sugary smell wafts under your nose and it's soooo hard to resist.

I'm thinking of buying some for my students, and then I can have one--instead of a whole bag.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #11  

I'd be judgemental if I hadn't done the same thing so many times myself...

The last 3 straight Halloween's I've one through multiple bags of mini-candy bars my wife bought for events in a matter of days, she always complains about having to go buy more. I used all the same arguments.

1. It's just once a year.
2. Well they'll be around tempting me until somebody eats them so might as well go for it (how lol is that)

I've had nights were I've easily gone through 20-30 mini-candy bars and felt disgusted with myself.

No more excuses...I am tempted by it so I don't buy it. And I always have better choices around for when the temptation is around for various reasons.

3 weeks ago we had a half-gallon of ice cream in the freezer leftover from a party. I didn't touch a single bite of it, I can tell you that the psychological victory of knowing it was up there for weeks without me succumbing was actually a greater victory than the wasted calories!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  

I love Cadbury creme eggs. I'm going to have one this year. One.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #13  

When you buy things and eat them that don't support your weight loss goal, you have made a decision that the candy is more important than losing weight and being healthy. Only you are responsible for what goes into your mouth. You could have bought just one egg for a planned treat. The first bite and the last all taste the same. I have one Reese's peanut butter egg I am saving for Easter.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I love love LOVE Cadbury Cream eggs. My husband bought a four-pack for me a couple of weeks ago, and I scheduled one a day into my calorie budget for four days. I'm not one of those people disgusted by the sugar at ALL, even though I don't eat a lot of it anymore. They were good. And I finished them, and it took care of my craving for a year.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #15  

Mindi - I also don't think sugar is the devil.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote