General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Default Anyone watching Ruby?

I came across Ruby a couple weeks ago and I'm hooked. She's so sassy. It's kick to watch her go through the weight loss and the life changes that come with it.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A little bit, between trying to finish up some work for the office tomorrow & roasting Cornish game hens for dinner the next few nights. And I have to say I'm intrigued by the idea of changing four (or was it five?) things in her life to get her out of a rut & to help change her weight. This sounds like excellent advice for anyone dealing with a stalled out life or a weight plateau (which kind of amounts to the same thing).
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #3  

Yeah, cutting out the soda was a hoot. It's been something that has been a challenge at the house between me and my DS.

My husband & I laughed at the juicer experience. We tried that once and spent the next week cleaning it!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #4  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I watched Ruby a couple of times and I kind of like the show, but then I went to the network's website and discovered I don't like her most ardent fans at all.

Honestly, they think Ruby can do no wrong, and if anything is posted about her that even hints at less than a worshipful adoration, they're up in arms. It's ridiculous.

But that's her fans, not her. I once made that mistake about Sam Kinison's fans. I had been bombarded with insults being hurled at me by perfect strangers, seemingly out of the blue, and I didn't know what was going on until I got home, and my late husband explained to me that Kinison was in town that night. I was mad at the comedian for some time and didn't shed a tear when he died, but I realized later that I was wrong. He was paid for his humor, and he kept it on the stage and screen, where it belonged. The doofuses on the street were just being rude and immature, playing "let's pretend" like a bunch of pre-schoolers. Not Kinison's fault, and I was wrong to blame him.

So I'm going to try not to hold Ruby's fans against her, although it's hard to watch the show now without thinking about those people.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 03-28-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: clarity
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I tried to watch it, but I can't stand Ruby's "fakey" voice. She has a normal voice, then the fakey, southern, overly sweet voice that she uses a lot. Like nails on a chalkboard. I do hope she's still doing well!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #6  
Mrs. Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I tried to watch it, but I can't stand Ruby's "fakey" voice. She has a normal voice, then the fakey, southern, overly sweet voice that she uses a lot. Like nails on a chalkboard. I do hope she's still doing well!
You know, that bothers me out of Paula Deen too. I'm a Southerner myself, but to me it sounds fake.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  
Mrs. Brady

I have a confession to make.

I think the reason a lot of this Ruby-adoration bothers me is because I am just plain jealous. I have much in common with her. I am a food addict, I struggle with depression, I was an abused child (which Ruby may or may not have been) and there are even chunks I can't remember, although I was there and I was old enough to remember. Like Ruby, I am diagnosed with PTSD.

But I doubt seriously if I'd get the same level of adoration if I told my story. Why do people care so much about her in particular? What's she got that I ain't got? I don't even want a TV show; it's not that, but it's all the "oh, Ruby, you're so beautiful, you're such an inspiration," and here I am in much the same predicament, and I wonder how many people even care.

I don't mean this to sound nasty. I'm having a rough time in my head right now. But does feeling this way make me a bad person?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #8  

No, it doesn't make you a bad person! I'm sorry that things are rough for you right now. What I love about the board is that everyone supports each other. My challenges may be the same or different from yours, but we're here together rooting each other on.

I hope today is a good one for you even if it's a rainy day in the Pacific NW!

Take care.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #9  
Mrs. Brady

Thank you, Kylie. Into each life, some rain must fall, but this Washington weather is getting ridiculous! Weather does affect my depression level, and I'm really having a hard time.

Back to Ruby, well, I might have some difficulty watching the show; a lot of it hits too close to home, and her fans *do* get on my nerves.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Just discovered the show yesterday, loved it.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote