Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Default New Coffee Machine

Hi everyone.....looking for a little info/advice here. My mother-in-law surprised me by sending me a Keurig single cup coffee maker in the mail! It's awesome....one of those single cup brewer thingys and I love it already. I have always loved coffee, but my dh doesn't drink it, so as a result I never make it. I've never, ever, had a coffee habit because I hated to make a pot just for myself. Well, this machine will be dangerous, because I can so easily make a single cup for myself.

Suffice it to say, I've gone a little overboard on the coffee this weekend with my new toy! I'm on my third cup already today, and I hardly ever drink coffee on a regular basis. Calorie wise, I think I'm okay because from what I read, an 8 oz cup of coffee is only 2 cals. I either don't add sugar, or add a little Splenda. I put in one tsp of fat free creamer which is about 12 calories. And I've diligently written down the calories consumed.

What are the negative effects of coffee diet-wise?? Obviously, too much caffeine is not good. And I think maybe dehydration or needing to drink more water is a factor. Does coffee fill you up or does it increase hunger? What are your opinions or experiences?

I need to buy some decaf varieties, because all that came with this kit is caffeinated. I think I'm more worried about the caffeine than anything else. I do drink iced tea sometimes, but I completely cut soda out of my life a year ago. I have no addiction to caffeine whatsoever at the present moment. I hope my new little "baby", the Keurig doesn't change that!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!! Any opinions/experiences would be awesome. I've come this far and don't want to jeopardize what I've achieved!

Last edited by kellost; 03-28-2010 at 05:36 PM.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Caffeine is not good for you. I drink coffee all day long and I've replace sugar with splenda. I add 2% milk also, and 244 calories and 10 grams of fat in my daily budget are always devoted to my coffee additives (the milk). I have to ration those two cups of milk because I don't want to use up all of my calories just to whiten my coffee.

I have lost 21 lbs. since starting counting calories and exercising on February 21 this year.

Dunno if that helps.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Caffeine can have two potentially negative side-effects when it comes to weight loss:

1. Even a small quantity may contribute to sleep troubles, such as difficulty falling asleep, or poor sleep. Getting enough sleep, and enough good-quality sleep, is very important to weight loss.

2. Caffeine does cause an insulin response, which can lower blood sugar, which can make you feel more hungry and more inclined to eat "carby" items.

However, caffeine is also often used as a metabolism-booster in combination with other stimulants, for weight loss.

You should use your own judgment and experimentation to decide whether or not to include caffeine in your regular diet.

For myself, I have determined (by experimentation) that a cup of caffeinated coffee once per week should be my limit, due to my issues with insulin resistance and sleep quality.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Keurig coffee maker!

I have one cup a day. In the mornings. With my creamer. Hasn't impeded my weight loss, and I adore having the ability to pick different flavored coffee...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369

Mayo Clinic website, which sorts answers your question...
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I honestly don't have the answers, but I do know that I have one HUGE cup (16 oz I think) of coffee everyday, if I don't I get a withdrawl headache. Awful I know, but anyway, I've been doing this for years (except when I was pregnant) and have done all though my weight loss and now that I'm counting I save 120 cals everyday for my daily cup. It hasn't seemed to effect my loss in the least and I only have a cup in the am before breakfast so if there are hunger issues related I really wouldn't know. I guess my point is if you feel ok with it and you're accounting for it, I don't think it's something you should be stressing about unless you feel like it's affecting your health.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Actually moderate use of natural stimulants like caffeine (at least from natural sources like coffee, tea and chocolate) may actually have some health benefits.

My doctor is very reluctant to recommend anything without peer-reviewed research behind it, and when I was having fatigue issues from my fibro, he recommended caffeine before trying any prescription meds. He referred to research that found health benefits associated with I believe it was up to three cups of coffee per day. It can aggravate some health conditions though, so if you have high blood pressure or heart issues you should talk to your doctor first.

I also read a recent Prevention magazine article that summarized the last few years of coffee research, and it found coffee to have similar benefits to those found in dark chocolate.

Also, it is a myth that caffeinated coffee is so dehydrating that you must drink extra water to compensate. Most of the fluid in coffee is used by the body just as it would use plain water. Very little "extra" is lost - so a cup of coffee does not put you in a 1 cup water deficit, rather 1 cup of coffee is equal to a cup of water minuse a couple tablespoons at most (so 8 ounces of coffee might be equivalent to 7 ounces of water).

Caffeine and other herbal stimulants can raise metabolism somewhat (which is why it and other herbal stimulants are often ingredients in many otc diet pills and weight loss "supplements"), but like all stimulants can have side effects especially in large quantities (side effects like jitters, nervousnous, insomnia, digestive problems, increased blood pressure, racing heartbeat...).

I am NOT a coffee drinker, so I'm not defending my vice. Although with all the benefits I'm reading about coffee and tea, I'm trying to get more of my caffeine from coffee and tea, and less from Diet Mountain Dew (my particular caffeine vice, which I doubt has any benefits, except that it is safer and cheaper than prescription fatigue-fighting drugs used to treat fibro and chronic fatigue).

I also have sleep issues, so I don't use caffeine (or any other stimulants, even chocolate after 2pm).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #7  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

I think it's very subjective, depending on the individual. Everything (okay, everything within reason) in moderation, y'know? I used to drink lots of coffee, several cups a day, and I didn't find it hurt my sleep pattern, or made me jittery. I stopped drinking it a couple weeks ago, for no other reason than I just didn't feel like having it one day and that has continued, and I haven't noticed anything different in my sleeping, or other parts of my life. I did have headaches for several days after I stopped drinking it (and dropped all other caffeine), but they subsided.

And those little individual coffee makers are great. I think enjoying it in moderation (maybe limit yourself to two or three a day, or fewer) is fine.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

We got a Keurig and I love it too!

And you don't need to worry about hydration. From the research I've read, the idea of caffeine dehydrating us turned out to be more a myth than anything else. Caffeinated beverages overall usually add to our hydration.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #9  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I love my Keurig also. My son/wife bought it for me for Christmas and also included a little cup that I can put my own coffee in if I don't want to buy those cups that come with it. (which can be used twice by the way )
One cup of coffee in the morning doesn't seem to wreck my sleep patterns
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

One or two cups a day is actually good for you--I think it was for warding off Parkinson's, and maybe Alzhiemer's as well (although I'm not certain about that last one).

I have no evidence for this, but I find that coffee in the morning supresses my appetite. I have it with a splash of milk, which helps a bit too. I can wake up starved, but I need some time in the morning before I can eat, and a few sips of coffee take away the discomfort. I can then wait 10-30 minutes to wake up before thinking about breakfast.

If it hurts your sleep, then it's not so good. And of course, too much can make you sick. But there are definitly health benefits--google it!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #11  

Haha, these threads are always entertaining.

Do a few searches on caffeine, we've had a couple of hotly debated threads about it's place in weight loss.

I'll try to fairly summarize with the caveat that I have not been convinced by an answer on either side....

First of all this is one of the most devicive issues on this board with many people swearing by either the benefits or detriments of caffeine.

Lots of people swear that it gives them a fantastic metabolism/energy boost that helps them stay on top of things, have better workouts, etc. I'm in this camp personally.

Lots of other people swear that it really hinders their loss either through sneaking in extra calores in coffee additives, or messing up insulin/metabolism. A lot of people on here will say that they saw better results when they eliminated caffeine.

I personally have not seen conclusive research on either side. My personal suggestion is that you make it a personal matter. If you really enjoy it as a treat, and your weight loss isn't stalling then go for it. If you hit a long plateau and you think you should be losing try giving it up and see if that changes things.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I drink a lot of coffee. A lot. It has never hindered my weight-loss efforts, nor my ability to sleep (provided I don't drink any after 3pm).

I say enjoy your coffee!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I love my Tassimo coffee maker!

As far as coffee - I read everywhere that it is an appetite stimulate - for me it is the opposite. When I drink coffee I feel fuller. I try and have no more then 1 or 2 cups a day - they are large in size though. Sometimes in the afternoon if I am hungry and high on calories, I will drink a cup of coffee black. I hate it black, but it helps me feel full.

In the mornings, I am really working on just drinking it with some milk - it's hard though, but I waste too much calories to the coffee!

I do drink TONS of water to offset the fact that it dehydrates you.

But it hasn't had any negative effects on me and my weight loss, if anything it helps because it's low in calories and helps keep me full.

Last edited by sotypical; 03-29-2010 at 12:12 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #14  

Height: 5'3"

sotypical: Caffeine is a *stimulant*, not an *appetite stimulant*.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #15  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

We got a kcup maker for my parents for xmas and we went through a whole box of coffee in one day (just 4 people!) I dont know why making coffee became so much fun! lol I just drink the regular decaf. Its like green mountain or w/e? They also sell tea kcups that maybe youd be interested in.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote