100 lb. Club - Good Reads?

View Full Version : Good Reads?

2phatinvictoria
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello all!

Well I noticed that if i am fighting off a craving .. i pick up a book and just read and i totally forget about whatever im craving and by the time im done reading its time for lunch or dinner.. but i was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations? I am currently ready pride prejudice and zombies as well as angry fat chicks..
thanks so much
hope all of you are have super days!

ChrissyBean
03-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm reading The Flying Troutmans and loving it. :)

2phatinvictoria
03-25-2010, 05:41 PM
OH I actually have that book on my night stand waiting to be read!

astrophe
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm a Terry Pratchett fan. So I've been reading those.

A.

HokieLoki
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I do the same thing! watching TV makes me think I am hungry, but when I read, I forget about food.

I recently finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

I am halfway through Bite Me by Christopher Moore

Next in line is a book I read in high school, but want to read again, A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving

Then The Daily Coyote by Shreve Stockton

ubergirl
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I am halfway through Bite Me by Christopher Moore

Now, see-- that one would make me hungry. :D

HokieLoki
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Now, see-- that one would make me hungry. :D

Hahaha! maybe, but it's a love story about vampires. It's witty and well written, nothing like Twilight (which I think is drivel)

Summerblue
03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Other than cookbooks with pictures you mean? hahaha Just Kidding.

I used to be a BIG TIME reader, until I had kids and it's like I have so much going on, when I try and read, I immediately fall asleep.

Though I did read A Million Little Pieces - that was a very interesting and quick read, I don't care if it's fiction or what, it was still a page turner for me anyway. :)

Lyn2007
03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Well, it's not a book, but you can really get lost reading weight loss blogs from this weight loss community blogroll:

Memorial Blogroll (http://memorialblogroll.blogspot.com/)

westernsoutherngirl
03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I just read these books in the last few months and they were all great:
The Help
Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Prayers for Sale
Out Stealing Horses
The Outlander
For Non-fiction, these were really good
The Horse Boy
Born to Run

Nothing better than a good book!

2phatinvictoria
03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Though I did read A Million Little Pieces - that was a very interesting and quick read, I don't care if it's fiction or what, it was still a page turner for me anyway. :)

If you like a million little pieces you will like his 2nd book.. my friend Leonard.. which is amazing!!

possiblesuccess
03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I am reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. So far its good, and I like My Sisters Keeper too. I am a nerd, so I re-read the Harry Potter series all the time. I also read this book called A Lesson Before Dying, I don't remember the author, but its really good. I like the series written by Janet Evanovich. The books are a quick read, but they are really funny.

slimsilhouette2b
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm more into the 'silly' books that I don't have to really think about and can sink my teeth into.

My favorites:
Anything by Jude Deveroux.

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is absolutetly fantastic!!!!

I also enjoy the clasics like Pride and Prejudice. Lord of the Rings is also great.

I read all the time so can't remember all I've read. LOL.

jewelrymaker81
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Ooo, Jodi Picoult is great. Her best ones are "My Sister's Keeper", "Nineteen Minutes" (my personal favorite of hers), "The Pact" and "Plain Truth." Everything Dennis Lehane writes is wonderful (Mystic River, Shutter Island). Depends on what kind of books you like. Wally Lamb is really good too. Ooo, and "Whistling in the Dark" by Lesley Kagen. I could think of this stuff all day!

Smiling_Sara
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm more into the 'silly' books that I don't have to really think about and can sink my teeth into.

My favorites:
Anything by Jude Deveroux.

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is absolutetly fantastic!!!!

I also enjoy the clasics like Pride and Prejudice. Lord of the Rings is also great.

I read all the time so can't remember all I've read. LOL.

I got to book 6 and kinda realized ( IMO anyway ) that the stories were very much the same. Do they change much after book 5?

slimsilhouette2b
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I got to book 6 and kinda realized ( IMO anyway ) that the stories were very much the same. Do they change much after book 5?

Yeah I guess they do because I don't find them at all alike. I mean she has some similar situations, like the cars and the guys but they are all pretty funny.

duckyyellowfeet
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm an English major, so I read all the time. Right now, I wish I had something fun to read, as I'm supposed to be reading my Linguistics text book.

When I have time to read, the spoils of time trilogy by Penny Vincenzi (Something Dangerous, No Angel and Into Temptation) is excellent. If you like the movie "The Princess Bride", try reading the book by William Goldman; its funny and light-hearted. Dracula is interesting as well, totally different than I expected. A Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs is interesting and funny no matter your religious background.

I'll stop now or I'll just tell you the title and author of every book I own. My books are like small, portable children to me....

LitChick
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Oooh, books! One of my favorite topics!

If you liked P&P&Z, you might want to read Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford. Here's my blog post about it: http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=1501 (I keep a book blog of all the books I read)

The author of P&P&Z also has a new book out: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

synger
03-26-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm usually a Victorian fiction or sci-fi/fantasy reader, for fiction. I also like history and Christian history/theology. Right now I'm reading "Lost in Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation or How He Became Comfortable Eating Live Squid (http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Planet-China-Understand-Comfortable/dp/076792200X)". It's interesting, but he keeps emphasizing the negative -- the pollution, the crowds, the spitting on the sidewalk. It gets a bit old after a while.

time2lose
03-26-2010, 08:25 AM
One of my favorites is The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls. It is a true story and very touching.

paris81
03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank--both beautifully written stories.

knobhdy
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I highly recommend Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards. It is engrossing, but I warn you it will make you cry. My mother brought it to a summer vacation one year. She read and finished it on Friday night and I saw her bawling over it. On Saturday, I took it to the beach and read it cover to cover, and cried. On Sunday my niece read it and she was crying too. :) But it is a very good book.

If you can handle young adult books, I recommend the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. It has a wonder theme of quick and surface deep beauty making life "perfect" when in fact it is far from it.

cfmama
03-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Right now I'm reading "Fingersmith." It's not a style I'd normally read BUT it's keeping me GLUED. I spent 2 hours in the bath last night reading!

ChrissyBean
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, I'm halfway through Plain Truth, but I left it somewhere. I'm not a HUGE fan of Picoult's...I must say, I don't get all the hype.

I ****loved**** The Help. Flying Troutmans is great. I'm literally laughing out loud and reading bits out to my husband.

diyana
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
If you love animals, especially if you're a cat lover, I highly recommend "Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World ".

SnowboundChick
03-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm in a fluff phase right now, I'm reading Watermelon by Marion Keyes, it's the second last of her books for me to read. I've read all hers in the last 6 months. I'm also reading The Lightning Thief which I'll pass on to my 8yo when I'm done.

WhitePicketFences
03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I find Picoult overrated also ... I like them, but you know.

Two fictions I loved recently: Marcelo in the Real World, by Francisco X Stork, and The Family Man, by Elinor Lipman. The former is a young adult book BUT very engrossing; anyone would love it.

Die For You, by Lisa Unger, was a real page turner. Suspense done well.