Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Goign to the Nut tomorrow

Hey Ladies:
I've been seesawing with the reactive hypoglycemia so tomorrow I'm goign to the Nut/dietician whatever she is allegedly she specializes in bariatric peeps.

I just want to feel good and in control and not worry about not having snacks!

so we'll see what she says.
Thinking about it I think I've had Hypoglycemia a long time. I used t o pass out in class after breakfast and lunch in college.

I want to fix this and I will!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'm glad your going KO, let us know what she says. I also have HypoG... just give me a bagel and watch what happens 1 hr later. Its strange though, some times I'm not affected and some time I could drop like a stone... strange.

GOOD LUCK !! and feel better
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Lovie! My appts at 4 I know what you mean about different stuff
Don't get sick from Choc Chip cookies *cough* but prego spag sauce? (sorry Jiff it was on sale) and I'm out like a light
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

I hope they are able to help and please keep us updated Goodluck!!!

Last edited by GinaG; 03-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

good luck!
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey KO: How did it go! I'm the queen of hypo. I hate it! I'm thinking I'm just danged weird! LOL!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

ok here goes
So my home scale has bobbed between 147 and 149 however that's naked with a generally empty stomach
The Nut's scale said 152 I wasn't freakshow but Who needs coffee after that wake up call!

So I'm on a Low Refined Carb Plan
4+ Servings of Veggies
2 servings of fruit
2 servings of milk (Did I mention I'm a Cheese-a-holic)
4 servings of starch
10 oz protein (70 grams)
5 servings of fat

the fat serving is goign to be the hard part I have to switch from eggs to egg beaters (when I finish the eggs in my fridge) I haven't counted fat in 3 years
Also have to snag some greek yogurt which I love so that's not bad
she also wants me to ditch splenda for my fibro and CP

I have to think Critically about how i want to shop and plan meals any ideas are totally welcome!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Glad your on the right track again KO... bet it feels good having direction again. Having to count all those servings sure does make my head spin, but that explains why I not at goal eh. I know you can do it !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks leens now I just have to haul my buns to thhe grocery!!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

Who is this nutritionist? there's one who lives in your area who is EXCELLENT but i can't for the life of me remember her name!!!! she's short, with very dark hair. what does she consider 'a serving'? is it 15 grams of carbs? 1/2 c veggies? 1/2 c fruit?

so many Qs!!!! oh. and i'm going to Corrado's tomorrow, and will pick up a 5 pound container of yogurt [for 5.99]. THEN put some in a coffee filter in a strainer, and put it all on top of a bowl, and let it drain for a couple of hours. GREEK YOGURT!!!

hope the nut helps - please keep us posted!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Barb Pieroni from storch nutritionals she's ok a little too low fat nuts for me but we'll see
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #12  

KO: I'm glad to know about the Splenda-fibro connection. I often wondered about that plus, I think it really makes me want more sweets. How many calories are we talking here? I'm trying so hard to balance low glycemic carbs and protein every time but don't think that I do a very good job. It really does help me keep my blood sugar more level. Isn't it funny how carbs can creep back in!!! What kind of starches are you going to do? Please keep us in on your plan....not just nosy, but really might have to do the same thing.

I really am trying to eat a more balanced diet, but hate the darn left-overs. Today we had a small salad and a chicken breast and of course there are left overs again. I'm whining. Sorry.

My DH decided that we were going to see Avatar last night and go out to eat before. I got testy about it and told him that I was tired of all of our "dates" be about eating out. Fixed us quinoa with veggies and sliced roasted pork and asked to go for a walk at the cemetary!!! It was cold and windy, but I found another unusual name there: Flavilla. Boy, aren't we an exciting pair. Then he took me to StarBucks, because my fingers were cold and I had a fake "chia" tea. I know they hate me when they see me coming. I do a small tea with 1/2 skim, vanilla robios tea, and two pumps of sugar free cinnamon dulche syrup. Got me warmed up without too many carbs. I fiqured about 8 carbs. Did I tell you that we start East Coast Swing classes the first of April. I wanted to do ballroom or tappercize, but ballroom not available and I didn't think that my poor foot and fake knee could keep up with tappercize. Probably would have signed up for Eatercise if they had offered it! DH has gained back about 10 pounds and I've had to do a sweep of grandkid's snacks and his stash! LOL! Apples and air popcorn almost every night and he told me the apples were out of season and the popcorn tasted like styrofoam! We've got a Parm-garlic cheese topping to put on it, but he says it won't stick. I'll bet he's been licking the bowl when he is done! LOL!

Last edited by nanj; 03-28-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #13  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan Not a problem! This is what I ate today so far
She has me on 1400 calories but I don't have to technically count them yet

Meal 1
1 Oatmeal Nessa Bar (from the south beach board) The only switch I made was instead of 1 cup of powdered Milk I used 1 cup of Vanilla Protein added 1 tsp of vanilla and used 1 cup of natural chunky apple sauce it makes 6 bars with Isopure its 133 calories and 16 grams of protein
These were a little dry next time I will attempt a layer of sf jam or polaner all fruit in the middle

Meal 2
1/8 Southwest Quiche 1 can drained black beans 3 eggs 4 egg whites 1 cup RF shredded cheese 1 cup Stop and shop (or giant) Southwest Salsa
I have to plug it into daily plate to get the #s wasn't bad with the whites but wasnt as firm
M3 4 oz 2% cottage cheese and an apple
(not sure why but I dumped off this) I've been eating these apples for days
M4 string cheese
M5 1 cup steamed chicken and brocc with a drizzle of black bean sauce

We're going to the store tomorrow night after PT If we had gone tonight I was going to get a head of cauliflower to make "rice" out of I have a Fried "rice" recipe to try out and some ground pork that needs to be cooked What I might end up doing is getting precut cauliflower so I don't have to chop the stem and whiring them up in the mini chopper

I'm also going to get some canned salmon and make salmon/spinach muffies
I'm not sure she has me eating enough protein
I'm also going to get greek yogurt an all bran buds (according to the plan it's free) and either frozen berries or some NSA canned fruit
If you want I can post my menus
I'm proud of you for not making your date about food. sounds good! so does your chai!!
Nan we can do this together!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #14  

5:30 a.m. had a cup of chia tea with tsp of lite creamora, tbsp of cinnamon dulche SF flavoring (got it from Starbucks) and a tsp of wheylow.

Started getting low blood sugar around 9:00 a.m. Had a late breakfast because had to do phonics and reading this morning with the GKs. Breakfast was one egg omelet with mushrooms, 1/2 tsp onions, red pepper, tbsp of sharp cheese. Oh, tbsp of lowfat 1/2 and 1/2.

This morning, I baked a whole wheat buttermilk banana nut bread and a loaf of buttermilk spelt bread this morning and the smell is calling my name. Not hungry, but won't go near it until it is cool enough to put away.

The banana nut bread has splenda and golden whey-low. Whey-low is better for someone who has trouble with the blood sugars. It is made out of milk products. But the cost is 6.50 a pound, so I've been using half splenda and half whey-low. Besides all splenda bakes too dry for me.

I do like the Nessa bars, but I use 1/2 powdered milk and 1/2 protein. I'm so burnt out on protein tasting stuff. Still use Atkin's Protein bars and DH likes the Chocolate Mocha Atkin's protein drinks. I don't like coffee, but can stomach the strawberry protein drinks. I think the cost of these are now $1.20 each!

Cottage cheese and apples.....hmmm wonder why the dumping. Cottage cheese around 4 carbs and the apple? Doesn't a small apple have around 15 carbs or so? Can't remember.

My standby lately has been poached chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of adzuki beans with a sprinkle of cheese. I think there are about 22 carbs in 4 oz. of the beans. But they are teeming with nuts. I think the red kidney bean only has about 7 carbs so might give them a try. My worst time is after I get home at night from work. I don't want to do a whole meal when I get home. In fact, I don't want to eat at all, but it has been about six hours and I'm half sick. I'm taking a protein bar and eating it on the way home so that I don't try to eat my two dogs and my DH when I hit the door! LOL!

There is a lady on ObesityHelp that has a weird type of hypoglycemia that has developed after WLS. I think her name is melting mama....something like that. Might want to check her story out. I think hers is pretty drastic.

Are their diabetics in your family? Were you diabetic before you had WLS? Was your sugar high before your surgery? Did you develop the low blood sugars right after surgery or later on?

Can you get in 1400 cals? Does your NUT have a good bariatric background? The one we have in this area wouldn't meet with me. Said that she didn't have enough experience and wanted to send me to the big city. That is where my bariatric NUT is so will probably be checking in with her again in October.

Weight? My scale is the same as the doctors...so no surprise when I go in, but I usually fluctuate about five pounds. I went about two weeks without my vits and sup, because I was being stupid and craved everything I could think of. I was having one of those tired of "this" life thingies. Poor old, poor old me....wah! I'm back on them. My exercise has been crappy along with the weather and I'm starting to beef that back up.....umm beef. See food is never far from my mind! LOL!

Well, better get going. DH left his hearing aids here and I'm afraid he'll get ran over on his mail route so I'm running them in to him. Going to pick up some veggies to steam.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Sorry for the delay Nan was sick on Monday! yesterday was just crazy pants
I don't dump on apples and nuts so I'm going to stick with that also brought a banana as an option today
I think the cottage cheese was too slidey

watching the fat and cutting down the dairy seem to have helped I'm back down to 146 this am from my scale of 149. I don't think I'm getting enough protein and I doubt I'm getting 1400 calories
I have upped the veggies and fruit

I also learned yesterday corn syrup really does make me the cookie monster
A gf brought me a box of Nut-rition bars from plantars I had 1 it tasted like a PBJ and without a beat I had another!
so those are goign to DH
Today's menu is
Breakfast
1/8 SW Quiche
Snack
(big snack)
1/2 cup 2% Cottage cheese
1/2 cup Fiber 1
1/2 cup Pineapple in juice
I think the fiber 1 will stop the slide factor
Lunch
Arnolds thin with mustard salad and 3 servings of Turkey