Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What sauce do you like on your sandwiches?

Renwomin
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm really looking for more flavorful ideas for sandwiches. There is a spicy southwest mustard I get from Walmart that I like, but I know I'm going to get tired of mustard quick. I need to shake things up! :cb:

What do you like on your sandwich?

Are there any little packets of sauce that are good to carry with?

Later Addition (3/30/10): Since we had so many good ideas I thought I would make a list!

Master List

Mayonnaise
“Good Fat” Mayo (Olive Oil & Canola Oil)
Mayo and Horseradish
Mayo and Hot Sauce
Miracle Whip (Light or Fat Free)
Canola Mayo and no sugar Currant Jelly & mustard or mustard powder
Canola Mayo and Bacon Bits or Crumbled Bacon
Mayo and Chili Garlic Paste
Mayo and Wasabi
Garlic Flavored Mayo

Mustards
Assorted Mustards
Southwest Spicy Mustard
Mustard and Frank’s Hot Sauce

Ketchup
Ketchup and Horseradish
Ketchup and Teriyaki
Ketchup and Worcestershire

BBQ Sauce
Bull’s Eye Guinness Beer Blend
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ (Watch the calories from the sugar!)
Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce

Hummus
Regular Hummus
Lemon Dill Hummus

Dressings
Caesar Dressing
Thousand Island Dressing
Ranch Dressings

Other Spreads
Avocado (with or without Dijon Mustard)
Guacamole
Spinach / Artichoke Spread
Spaghetti Sauce
Plain Greek Yogurt
Pesto (Regular and Sundried)
Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
Hot Sauce
Marmite
Salsa

Other
Laughing Cow Cheese (with or without Hot Sauce)
Pickles, Banana Peppers, Cucumbers (Juicy Veggies!)
Picalilli
Branston Sandwich Pickle
Bruschetta Topping
Chutney
Tapenades
Muffaleta Mix
Black Beans and Roast Garlic (Pureed)
Cranberry Sauce
Marshmallow Fluff

AnnieDrews
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
At my house, we have the following:

-Lite Miracle Whip
-Mustard
-Mayo w/ olive oil

I also love horseradish and plan to buy some and mix it up with a small amount of mayo to make my own spread.

I've also recently been making my version of my fav sandwich using a high fiber english muffin spread w/ fat free cream cheese.

tiffany0809
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I like to use a little bit of avocado as a spread on my sandwiches.

lychee
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
I like using juicy veggies instead of sauces.. I keep pickles (the tabasco ones are great if you can find them!), banana peppers, cucumbers and stuff like that around to slap on my sandwiches to keep them from being dry. Of course, I'm kinda picky and don't like many sauces to begin with..so it's a little different for me I guess. I still like mayo, spinach/artichoke spread, and caesar dressing on sandwiches though.. or if I make it Italian style, I'll dip it in spaghetti sauce.

ctokarek
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
My favorite is lemon/dill hummus.

grrlscout
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I love all sorts of mustards. Sometimes I'll do mustard on one side, and a schmear of a flavored Laughing Cow cheese wedge on the other.

nelie
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Hummus!!
Although I like a variety of mustards as well but hummus (and all variations of hummus) is my favorite.

Avocado is good as well.

SpookyMrsBoo
03-24-2010, 03:16 PM
try avocado or hummus :D

Gracie789
03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Since my lifestyle change I've become addicted to spicy things. Horseradish with a little mayo is my absolute favorite. I also like hot sauce mixed with a little mayo (tastes like a southwestern sauce). I also add hot sauce to mustard because I'm just that weird ;) . I also like using Thousand Island dressing or pretty much any low-fat low-calorie salad dressing.

aneleh
03-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I like plain greek yogurt (or just strained regular yogurt) instead of mayo, and put a ton of it on! Also smushed avocado, hummus, and pesto are great (sundried tomato and regular).

Morgan03
03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Sometimes I use a tablespoon of my fave BBQ sauce (Bull'sEye Guinness Beer Blend) for 25 calories.

azmom
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
personally, i adore mustard in any way, shape or form. i've never met a mustard i didn't like!!

JayneEnglandUK123
03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I know most of you are from the US but do you have picalilli over there or branston sandwich pickle?? they are both great on sandwiches and low in calories and fat. seen as you like mustard you would love picalilli - its a mustard base which can either be sweet or strong and has chunks of cauliflower, baby onions and gherkin etc in, it's gorgeous! branston's is well it's a bit hard to describe - is a dark sauce with chunks of onion and stuff in. i can recommend both of them if you like your sarnies!!! :-0

Renwomin
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know why I had never thought of putting hummus on a sandwich before as an added spread but it sounds really good! I also need to remind myself that LIGHT mayo isn't so bad. I'll also need to make sure I pick up an avocado at the store.

Morgan, I'm going to have to try out that BBQ sauce. My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's but it has a lot of sugar in it! :(

Jayne, I haven't seen piccalilli over here in the store but I also haven't been looking. I'm intrigued.

Thighs Be Gone
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
At home I like fat-free Miracle Whip. When I go out I do mustard usually.

kaplods
03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I love condiments, especially flavored mayonaise, so I buy Hellman's Canola mayonaise. It's half the calories of the regular Hellman's, but tastes more like regular mayonaise than most light mayos. I also like Sweet Baby Ray's and I'll mix a tsp of the bbq sauced into a tablespoon of the mayo (I'll mix it right on the bread or tortilla with a knife). A little dry mustard or prepared mustard also is a nice combination with a little bit of mayo.

For chicken or turkey sandwhiches, I sometimes mix the canola mayo with no-sugar-added currant jelly (from Aldi) and a bit of mustard or mustard powder.

Bacon bits or crumbled bacon and canola mayo.
Oriental chili garlic paste and mayo.
Wasabi and mayo
horseradish and mayo (or horseradish and ketchup)
teriyaki sauce and ketchup
ketchup and worcestershire sauce (makes a great steak sauce)
I've even used a pinch of Crystal Light mix to make a raspberry vinaigrette.

I have a bunch of tiny tupperware style containers that only hold 2 tablespoons. They're perfect for mixing just enough condiment or salad dressing for one or two servings. I just have to make sure that if there is leftover not to let the little tub get lost in the fridge.

honeybunny917
03-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I like to add Frank's hot sauce to my mustard. I also like the laughing cow cheese idea I saw on here. I think I might try that for lunch tomorrow. I already know I like that on English muffins.;)

Regera Dowdy
03-25-2010, 02:43 AM
I was thinking of asking this same question because I have a new panini press and I have no idea what sauces to put in it. I'll have to figure out pesto, hummus, and maybe chimichurri, but I'll have to find recipes on things that add more flavor than mayo. I hate BBQ sauce and use mustard a lot. I hope I find more healthy or adaptable options that are tasty.

BlueToBlue
03-25-2010, 03:22 AM
I like a lot of the stuff that's been suggested here. A few other ideas:
- guacamole
- bruschetta topping
- tapenades
- chutneys
- muffaleta mix (an olive spread)
- raspberry chipotle sauce (available at Cost Plus and maybe Trader Joe's)

JayneEnglandUK123
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know why I had never thought of putting hummus on a sandwich before as an added spread but it sounds really good! I also need to remind myself that LIGHT mayo isn't so bad. I'll also need to make sure I pick up an avocado at the store.

Morgan, I'm going to have to try out that BBQ sauce. My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's but it has a lot of sugar in it! :(

Jayne, I haven't seen piccalilli over here in the store but I also haven't been looking. I'm intrigued.

I had a quick look to see if anywhere over there would sell it and i'm not sure - british food shops would definitely sell it if you have any in your area as it's pretty popular over here, for on meats and stuff too. the makes i have had have been heinz or haywards. definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on it. :D

JayneEnglandUK123
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
somebody in another forum has been looking for picalilli and apparently someone has seen it in kroger? which i believe you have some of them in the midwest? x

Renwomin
03-25-2010, 04:35 PM
somebody in another forum has been looking for picalilli and apparently someone has seen it in kroger? which i believe you have some of them in the midwest? x

Ooooo.. Kroger! Yes, we have several Krogers in my town. Thank you for the info. I'll have to go on a picalilli hunt.

JayneEnglandUK123
03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
hehe no worries :D i hope you manage to hunt some down!!! :carrot:

AnnieDrews
03-25-2010, 05:04 PM
I think here in America it is just called pickled vegetables or gardiniera. My Mom used to like to eat it. Look in the pickles section.

Woops.....nope, just looked up picalilli images on Google and it is not the same thing. It seems to be more of a relish....and I think Mom used to like that, too! Looks kind of like what we call chow chow here.

Love comparing words/foods with others!

JayneEnglandUK123
03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
hehe me too, i find it fascinating what different countries have and different words for the same food :D
yeah i guess it is a bit more of a relish or a chutney, but the chunks are more crunchy rather than cooked like in a chuntey or relish. yeah just looked up chow chow, does look fairly similar to some of the photos on google. the ones we have are generally pretty strong, not so much heat strong, but the kind of strong that makes you salivate and sweat lol, its fantastic!! great with cheese and gammon/ham :-0

sotypical
03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I think most people said what I use, but I will add my two cents anyway!

Mustard
Hummus
BBQ Sauce
Hot Sauce
Bruschetta
Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge (use this a lot with Hot Sauce!)

ANOther
03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
I know most of you are from the US but do you have picalilli over there or branston sandwich pickle?? they are both great on sandwiches and low in calories and fat. seen as you like mustard you would love picalilli - its a mustard base which can either be sweet or strong and has chunks of cauliflower, baby onions and gherkin etc in, it's gorgeous! branston's is well it's a bit hard to describe - is a dark sauce with chunks of onion and stuff in. i can recommend both of them if you like your sarnies!!! :-0

Not easy to find, but some supermarkets have a small section of British and European imported foods. So does the Vermont Country Store catalog and website; they get British Heinz foods, like beans, soup, canned spaghetti and sponge-cake desserts (FYI Jayne, in the US Heinz is just ketchup, 57 Sauce, mustard, vinegar, salad dressing, pickle relish and jarred gravy: nothing that's ready-to-eat or heat-n-serve, unless under other brand names). I've had branston pickle and I think it's pretty good. Next time I should try picalilli. (Sometimes they'll have one food for a while and then they won't have it again: puh-leeze, curry sauce!)

Another Brit something that you might like to try on your sandwiches (if you're brave: even the Brits admit it's an acquired taste) is Marmite (or its Australian equivalent Vegemite) which is a brewer's yeast spread and tastes kind of salty

AnnieDrews
03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
ANOther-I love, love, love the Vermont Country Store. I could order something from every page of their catalog! Such neat and interesting things.:)

tpanisiak
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Advocato with a tsp of Dijon Mustard.

I'm also a self-professed mustard hater. Also, for some reason, the advocato sates my desire to put cheese on my sandwich.

Or, you can puree black beans and roast garlic together. That, of course, works better on wraps.

Tia87
03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I just use regular, full-fat mayo. Great suggestions in this thread maybe I should try hummus!

ANOther
03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Other stuff you might try:
salsa
cranberry sauce on a chicken or turkey sandwich
horseradish sauce
if you can find garlic-flavored mayo, mmmm (again not very easy to find but I did find a bottle once of garlic lite mayo @ Target)

JayneEnglandUK123
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Not easy to find, but some supermarkets have a small section of British and European imported foods. So does the Vermont Country Store catalog and website; they get British Heinz foods, like beans, soup, canned spaghetti and sponge-cake desserts (FYI Jayne, in the US Heinz is just ketchup, 57 Sauce, mustard, vinegar, salad dressing, pickle relish and jarred gravy: nothing that's ready-to-eat or heat-n-serve, unless under other brand names). I've had branston pickle and I think it's pretty good. Next time I should try picalilli. (Sometimes they'll have one food for a while and then they won't have it again: puh-leeze, curry sauce!)

Another Brit something that you might like to try on your sandwiches (if you're brave: even the Brits admit it's an acquired taste) is Marmite (or its Australian equivalent Vegemite) which is a brewer's yeast spread and tastes kind of salty

hehe yeah marmite is definitely an odd one, like they say over here,vyou ever love it or you hate it!!! i personally love it, is very nice on toast too. Apparently is very nice with cheese or even meat.
its such a pain that different countries have different foods!! there are so many american foods i love, especially marshmallow fluff!!! lol not that i can really eat it now but i love it!! and is very good in a sandwich, but i'm sure you all already know that! :dizzy::dizzy:

nelie
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Marshmallow fluff? That sounds disgusting :)

I've tried marmite and I wasn't a fan.

JayneEnglandUK123
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
oh my god havent you had marshmallow fluff before??????? its the best thing ever with peanut butter or even choclate spread!!
i absolute hate marshamllows but this is ace, its really thick and creamy and sweet!! havent you heard of fluffer nutter sandwiches?? i just assumed everyone in the US had heard of it. :dizzy:

nelie
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
hah no, no fluffer nutter and never had marshmallow fluff before. I'm not a fan of marshmallows either.

JayneEnglandUK123
03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
hehe well like me, you may just enjoy marshmallow fluff!!!

fluffer nutter sandwich

nelie
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Umm.. that doesn't look appetizing :) I looked up the ingredients and it is also pure sugar which I avoid beyond the fact that I don't eat eggs which is the other ingredient.

FunSize
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I won't eat a sandwhich unless it has mayonaise or ranch dressing on it-- Otherwise it's not worth it to me to even eat it if it's not going to taste good! I don't like mustards or other low cal stuff!

annie175
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
BBQ Sauce on EVERYTHING!! Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce

ANOther
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
oh my god havent you had marshmallow fluff before??????? its the best thing ever with peanut butter or even choclate spread!!
i absolute hate marshamllows but this is ace, its really thick and creamy and sweet!! havent you heard of fluffer nutter sandwiches?? i just assumed everyone in the US had heard of it. :dizzy:

I was an adult before I ever even heard of fluffernutters either (maybe it's more of an East-Coast thing [ETA 03.31, the Wikipedia entry for "fluffernutter" says 'particularly popular in the Northeastern US'], I'm a lifelong Minnesotan and as far as I can tell the specific Marshmallow Fluff brand has been available in our supermarkets only recently: that's another item that's turned up in the Vermont Country Store 'log). Then again I have to admit that while I remember toasting marshmallows over backyard barbeques and having s'mores (Jayne, a s'more is made by toasting a marshmallow, putting a piece of a Hershey chocolate bar on a graham cracker [like your digestive biscuits only larger and square], then putting the toasted marshmallow on top) at campouts, I was never all that wild about the taste of marshmallows in general, so maybe if fluffernutters existed here I just wasn't listening

JayneEnglandUK123
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
I was an adult before I ever even heard of fluffernutters either (maybe it's more of an East-Coast thing, I'm a lifelong Minnesotan and as far as I can tell the specific Marshmallow Fluff brand has been available in our supermarkets only recently: that's another item that's turned up in the Vermont Country Store 'log). Then again I have to admit that while I remember toasting marshmallows over backyard barbeques and having s'mores (Jayne, a s'more is made by toasting a marshmallow, putting a piece of a Hershey chocolate bar on a graham cracker [like your digestive biscuits only larger and square], then putting the toasted marshmallow on top) at campouts, I was never all that wild about the taste of marshmallows in general, so maybe if fluffernutters existed here I just wasn't listening

ahhhh right i see, i guess we dont have some things in certain regions here that we do in others, never really thought of it before!!
wow s'mores sound good, ive heard of them before but never really knew what they were. i quite like marshmallows when theyre toasted so will have to try them next time we have a bonfire! although will have to adapt them i guess - we dont really have hersheys choc or graham crackers. ooh how exciting :D

Renwomin
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I updated my first post with a master list for easy reference. I have to say collectively we use a lot of different spreads! Thanks again for the suggestions!

Keep them coming!

ANOther
03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Hershey here is THE big choc brand, like Cadbury in the UK, so Jayne, if you want to try making 'smores I suppose you could put a few squares of Cadbury on it. Or cut corners a bit, take a couple of digestive biscuits that have a layer of choc on the bottom and put the marshmallow in between

JayneEnglandUK123
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Hershey here is THE big choc brand, like Cadbury in the UK, so Jayne, if you want to try making 'smores I suppose you could put a few squares of Cadbury on it. Or cut corners a bit, take a couple of digestive biscuits that have a layer of choc on the bottom and put the marshmallow in between

hey cheers ANOther - thats a great idea!!!! when i do them i can always buy a very small bar of cadburys lol so it isn't too bad!!! hehe. i have seen the cookies and cream hersheys in one of the cheap discount shops here but thats it!!! we do have mike and ike in some places and also reeses cups etc all of which i love lol. just a shame i cant have them while dieting :mad: :(

AmyLynn76
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm a sucker for Honey Mustard or Salsa.