General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #1  

Default 4 day diet by Dr. Ian

I saw him on Rachel Ray today. What is his 4 day diet all about? How do you do it? Where can I find out more about it?

Thanks.
cookinmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, this is only my first day on it, so I am not much help ... I had to buy the book to find out about the way the diet works. Basically it's broken down into four-day mini-diets with different requirements for each one. I'm in the induction phase, which is for detoxing. I'm not lying; it seems to be tough. Very low on carbs, at least in the beginning.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #3  

Oh, another low carb diet. Well, cant do that, gotta have my carbs. Thanks though.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  
She's trying...really !

S/C/G: 185/176/160

Height: 5'10"

I just joined today. My first post! I actually came here to see if anyone was doing this diet. I am on my 9th day. I find it very doable. For one, I know I can get through 4 days of anything. By having it change every 4, it keeps it interesting. I also do much better on highly structured diets. I got the book from the library and copied each of the diet days. I keep it with me.

I would in no way call this low carb. Maybe just because of the first 4 detox days, but when I put my daily food into the sparkpeople food tracker, it shows I'm way high on carbs. But GOOD carbs, that's for sure. In fact, I'm in the Protein phase right now and you have a sandwich every day. How is that low carb?

It involves a lot of brown rice and beans, like fat smash does. I've even got my hubby on it, and he isn't complaining. I get as creative as I can with each day's items. For example, in the Transition phase, you get eggs and brown rice. We made a great "fried rice" with scrambled egg, veg, etc.

I have also used the '2 snacks' as the meals, etc. I cannot wait to see how much I lose in 28 days. I've got hypothyroid and weight just never comes off... I'm down 3.5 in 1 week and hope that I stay slow n steady at least 1 lb per week.

Ask me anything, I've got the whole thing pretty memorized!
shestrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #5  

Hi She,

Can you give me the menus? What to eat on those days? I do like beans and rice.

I will see if my library has the book so I can read it.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #6  

I didn't mean to imply it was a low-carb diet ... I have looked ahead in the book and see that carbs are incorporated more as you go along. I like this because it is easy to do vegetarian. My husband is vegetarian, so I can make food that he can eat too; I just add stuff in for him. I did Fat Smash last year and it worked out great. Unfortunately, the holidays did me in.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #7  

Ah,so this can be done in a veg way. Cool.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #8  

I do almost everything in a veg way! LOL!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #9  
She's trying...really !

Howdy, I would not be able to give you the menus, there are too many! On some phases they change every day, on others, they stay the same for the 4 days. I couldn't type them all out.

Hopefully the library will have it, or maybe abe or amazon. It's a good read regarding motivations.

There are recipes that I think are kinda silly as he doesn't really show what module each one goes in (Ian, if you are out there, make your next edition show what module the recipe fits in!)

I'm on the protein module and it's going good. Saturday is SMOOTH! I can't wait for smooth, there are some fun things in it like 2 slices of pizza and burger.

I am down another lb this morning, makes 4 lbs in 10 days - and I'm hypothyroid so that is HUGE!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I love this diet. There is a thread for Fat Smash, Extreme Fat Smash and the 4 day diet (books by the same author) here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...21-3-27-a.html
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #11  
She's trying...really !

I love it too!

and I joined your thread over there.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #12  
Inittothinit

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Hey, ladies! I started and STOPPED this diet. I was doing good (lost 5 pounds during the detox) and then BAM starvation settled in. I swear this diet caused me to binge at night because I was so hungry all day. As soon as I started eating again, I started to gain weight. What are you guys doing to NOT go on an eating spree when the hunger pangs start coming?! I also have Dr. Ian Smith's Extreme Fat Smash book which is 3 weeks of eating very similar to the induction/transition phases. I just want to find a way to eat that I can stick to, not just a diet. HELP!
Nieceyeffbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #13  

Default Got the book on CD

Ok, went to library and got the book on CD. It says on the cover that there is a PDF on the final CD that features many breakfasts, lunches and dinners plus a snack list.

I didnt see any PDF. I listened to it on the computer. What did I do wrong? I was hoping to get some info so I could know how to do it.

Anyone else listen to it on CD?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #14  
She's trying...really !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nieceyeffbaby View Post
What are you guys doing to NOT go on an eating spree when the hunger pangs start coming?!
I focused on spreading the food out all day long, so that it seemed like I was eating all day! Seriously, I'd eat at 8, 10, 12, 1:30, 3:30, 5:30 and one last somethin' at about 8. I also think the fiber is key. I added benefiber and during the day drank some of the south beach water additive (protein & fiber). I am not going to say there weren't times I was a little hungry - but by breaking it up and always eating as soon as it hit, I was able to get thru detox.

I also got creative as possible with the foods... and after the 4 days, used the "snack" as my main meal (that veggie burger snack was a godsend). I've never gone this long without cheese (my downfall) but as soon as I saw the scale move, I was motivated!

I got on the scale today and am down 1.5 this week. I am SO PSYCHED because with my hypothyroidism, I have tried to get the scale to move for 6 mos now, and this diet kicked it in gear.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #15  

I was down three pounds as of today! WOOHOO!