Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default another study on exercise and weight loss

It's so discouraging when I see these studies. And I know it's probably right.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...3/12/1173?home

As we get older, we don't really need all those extra calories we are eating. I have to just remind myself that I'm not a growing teenager and can't eat as much as I used to without suffering the consequences.

Another way to look at is our bodies are such effecient machines that it doesn't need as large amount of fuel as we get older. At least I have to keep thinking postively about it because if not, I want to give up and eat a pint of ice cream and a package of cookies in misery. but no...must be positive.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #2  
Meg

Interestingly, the study talks about the prevention of weight gain, not weight loss, but I'm sure the conclusions would be similar if the study looked at weight loss. Except that (sorry to say!) even more exercise is probably needed for weight loss because we're trying to create a calorie deficit instead of just staying in calorie equilibrium, like we would for maintenance. So we need even fewer calories than for maintenance of weight.

In my experience with myself and personal training clients, exercise is an absolute imperative as we get older. It's almost impossible for women my age (55) to create a sufficient calorie deficit without exercise in order to lose weight. And it's very, very hard to restrict calories to a maintenance level without exercise.

For example, right now I maintain at about 1400 - 1600 calories a day, with about 90 minutes of daily exercise. If I didn't exercise, my maintenance calories would probably be in the neighborhood of 1000 calories a day, which for me, would be completely unsustainable for the long haul. No thanks! There are so many benefits to exercise besides weight loss and maintenance that it's a no-brainer to pick eating more with more exercise over eating less without exercise.

Putting aside weight, exercise is the Fountain of Youth for us older women. We build strong bones, get rid of toxic belly fat, have shapely arms and perky butts, keep our metabolisms running high, wear smaller sizes, and have healthy cardiovascular systems with exercise (and don't forget that heart disease is still the number one killer of women!) The weight loss and maintenance benefits are a bonus, but exercise is something we all should have in our daily lives, regardless of our weight.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #3  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Meg - you are awesome. I am sitting at my desk, trying to gather the willpower to go to the gym over my lunch hour. So far I've told myself that I just need to GO. I don't have to stay long, I just need to get in the door (usually that's enough to switch my mindset to "hey! The gym! I like it here!") but your post was so inspiring that I'm heading up there, willingly, as soon as I submit this post. Thank you!
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #4  
Meg

CharlieBaby, that's awesome! I'm so glad my post helped you, especially when I forgot to say that exercise just plain makes us feel good! I know you're going to walk out of your gym today with a big old smile on your face, feeling like a million dollars.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote