Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #1  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Default So, I got really BRAVE and measured by waist size

ZOIKES!

So glad I am doing something about loosing weight now.

All of my fat is in my bell - ugh, so my waist size is WOW.

Anyone take measurements and think you took them wrong?
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

When I started, I believe my waist was 56 inches.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I measure my waist quite often because, like you, that's where the bulk of my fat is and I'm constantly hoping it's shrinking. At 298, my waist was about 55 inches. Today it's around 47. Still big, but significantly better!

I do wonder whether or not I'm being accurate. Like questioning whether or not I am sucking it in at all, that sort of thing.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Where do you measure your waist? Is it around the belly button? Or the most narrow part? Cos the most narrow part for me is higher up, right under my rib cage.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlesofnoodles View Post
Where do you measure your waist? Is it around the belly button? Or the most narrow part? Cos the most narrow part for me is higher up, right under my rib cage.
My waist is slightly higher than my belly button. I measure where the waist of my pants sit. Either way, as long as you are measuring at a consistent location, then you can measure the inches lost accurately.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #6  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Either way, as long as you are measuring at a consistent location, then you can measure the inches lost accurately

I don't have good skills at this. For me, it totally depends on how tight my belt is, how tight the tape measure is around my waist, etc. I try to be as consistent as possible, but I definitely screw it up.

I generally prefer to take a pair of pants that are one size too small and try them on. Generally, I can feel if they are less tight than before and then I know i've lost a bit around the waist.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlesofnoodles View Post
me too! I've been wanting to measure, but wasn't sure where - the smallest part is much, much higher than my belly button but I never wear my clothing there!

I guess I will just do at my belly button, so I can be consistent and track the change over time. I think that was 44, but I was measuring so many different places to try to figure it out that I don't remember what number went with where anymore! lol!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

My waist is 40, used to be 25. I was horrified when I measured it. I think that's why I never think I'm as big as I obviously am, because I've always had a waistline compared to my humongous hips. My backside is like the side of a barn. I sure will be glad to get rid of some of this. I keep hearing Dr. Oz saying the maximum waist a woman should have is 35 or else huge health problems.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

To measure your waist, you are supposed to figure out where your middle breaks when you bend to the side-- that's above the belly button for most people, but it's not up by the ribs.

I just checked my past measurements and I didn't measure AT ALL until I was down about 25 pounds from my highest, and my waist was 49"

I keep feeling like it's no smaller, but in fact it is-- it's about 38" now-- 37" if I pull the tape snug.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Mine started at 52". Gross. Now it's 37". 15" lost - holy moly! The medical rule of thumb is that a healthy waist measurement should be no more than half your height. For me that's 36", so I'm almost there! And according to Dr. Oz, you should be sucking in your gut and pulling the tape taut and measuring at the natural waist, which is typically a few inches above your belly button.

I'm also one who carried my weight predominantly around my mid-section so I understand the horror of seeing that first measurement.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #11  

I did this tonight myself. I'm at 48" inches No clue where I was before I lost the 30 lbs.

OH well, I look forward to getting it to shrink with all of you
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Having measurements is GREAT because you have a baseline to compare it to. I went from a 37" waist to a 27" waist. I love knowing that! (I'm a pear though, my weight was mostly in my hips/butt/thighs).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

"my waist size is like WOW" sorry that made me laugh! "Do you have these pants in a size WOW?"

Just remember that's the LAST TIME you'll see THAT number!! it'll get smalllller and teeeny tinnnnnier and you'll say "how did i ever have that big a waist when now my waist WOWSY SMALL" yay!!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I went from a size 24/26 pants to a size 18. I'm almost in a 16 now. I think that says enough about how big around I was !
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Mine started at 52". Gross. Now it's 37". 15" lost - holy moly! The medical rule of thumb is that a healthy waist measurement should be no more than half your height. For me that's 36", so I'm almost there! And according to Dr. Oz, you should be sucking in your gut and pulling the tape taut and measuring at the natural waist, which is typically a few inches above your belly button.

I'm also one who carried my weight predominantly around my mid-section so I understand the horror of seeing that first measurement.
YAY! I didn't know it was legal to suck in my gut, because sucking in and pulling the tape taut I'm definitely a 37"
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote