100 lb. Club - So, I got really BRAVE and measured by waist size

Summerblue
03-23-2010, 03:44 PM
ZOIKES!

So glad I am doing something about loosing weight now.

All of my fat is in my bell - ugh, so my waist size is WOW.

Anyone take measurements and think you took them wrong?

nelie
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
When I started, I believe my waist was 56 inches.

JustSharing83
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I measure my waist quite often because, like you, that's where the bulk of my fat is and I'm constantly hoping it's shrinking. At 298, my waist was about 55 inches. Today it's around 47. Still big, but significantly better!

I do wonder whether or not I'm being accurate. Like questioning whether or not I am sucking it in at all, that sort of thing.

oodlesofnoodles
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Where do you measure your waist? Is it around the belly button? Or the most narrow part? Cos the most narrow part for me is higher up, right under my rib cage. :?:

nelie
03-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Where do you measure your waist? Is it around the belly button? Or the most narrow part? Cos the most narrow part for me is higher up, right under my rib cage. :?:

My waist is slightly higher than my belly button. I measure where the waist of my pants sit. Either way, as long as you are measuring at a consistent location, then you can measure the inches lost accurately.

matt_H
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Either way, as long as you are measuring at a consistent location, then you can measure the inches lost accurately

I don't have good skills at this. For me, it totally depends on how tight my belt is, how tight the tape measure is around my waist, etc. I try to be as consistent as possible, but I definitely screw it up.

I generally prefer to take a pair of pants that are one size too small and try them on. Generally, I can feel if they are less tight than before and then I know i've lost a bit around the waist.

PeanutsMom704
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM

me too! I've been wanting to measure, but wasn't sure where - the smallest part is much, much higher than my belly button but I never wear my clothing there!

I guess I will just do at my belly button, so I can be consistent and track the change over time. I think that was 44, but I was measuring so many different places to try to figure it out that I don't remember what number went with where anymore! lol!

PaulaM
03-23-2010, 06:02 PM
My waist is 40, used to be 25. I was horrified when I measured it. I think that's why I never think I'm as big as I obviously am, because I've always had a waistline compared to my humongous hips. My backside is like the side of a barn. I sure will be glad to get rid of some of this. I keep hearing Dr. Oz saying the maximum waist a woman should have is 35 or else huge health problems.

ubergirl
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
To measure your waist, you are supposed to figure out where your middle breaks when you bend to the side-- that's above the belly button for most people, but it's not up by the ribs.

I just checked my past measurements and I didn't measure AT ALL until I was down about 25 pounds from my highest, and my waist was 49"

I keep feeling like it's no smaller, but in fact it is-- it's about 38" now-- 37" if I pull the tape snug.

CLCSC145
03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Mine started at 52". Gross. Now it's 37". 15" lost - holy moly! The medical rule of thumb is that a healthy waist measurement should be no more than half your height. For me that's 36", so I'm almost there! And according to Dr. Oz, you should be sucking in your gut and pulling the tape taut and measuring at the natural waist, which is typically a few inches above your belly button.

I'm also one who carried my weight predominantly around my mid-section so I understand the horror of seeing that first measurement.

ShylahEQ
03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I did this tonight myself. I'm at 48" inches :( No clue where I was before I lost the 30 lbs.

OH well, I look forward to getting it to shrink with all of you :p

Glory87
03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Having measurements is GREAT because you have a baseline to compare it to. I went from a 37" waist to a 27" waist. I love knowing that! (I'm a pear though, my weight was mostly in my hips/butt/thighs).

Trazey34
03-23-2010, 10:15 PM
"my waist size is like WOW" sorry that made me laugh! "Do you have these pants in a size WOW?"

Just remember that's the LAST TIME you'll see THAT number!! it'll get smalllller and teeeny tinnnnnier and you'll say "how did i ever have that big a waist when now my waist WOWSY SMALL" yay!!!!

TempleBody
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I went from a size 24/26 pants to a size 18. I'm almost in a 16 now. I think that says enough about how big around I was !

ubergirl
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Mine started at 52". Gross. Now it's 37". 15" lost - holy moly! The medical rule of thumb is that a healthy waist measurement should be no more than half your height. For me that's 36", so I'm almost there! And according to Dr. Oz, you should be sucking in your gut and pulling the tape taut and measuring at the natural waist, which is typically a few inches above your belly button.

I'm also one who carried my weight predominantly around my mid-section so I understand the horror of seeing that first measurement.

YAY! I didn't know it was legal to suck in my gut, because sucking in and pulling the tape taut I'm definitely a 37"

Rosinante
03-24-2010, 04:14 AM
You are so brave!
I keep meaning to do this and, maybe I will this time as I'm on a re-re-re-re-re-start. Usually I think about doing it after several months but it would still be so high that I'd re-re-re-give up again.

I'm an apple shape with no appreciable waist, just a place where one fat roll stops and the other one starts, so that dent is where I'd measure. Maybe today.

JessicaDawn
03-24-2010, 04:47 AM
I have a huge spare tire, but a true "waist" that is ten inches smaller than the tire.
I'm going with my tire number unfortunately :P
I'd feel like I was lying to myself otherwise
(and yes, it was a huge shock. I'm almost as round as I am tall...but not for long!)

knobhdy
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I take two waist measurements. One at my natural waist (as I would for sewing clothing) and one around my belly button.

This gives me my true waist number (which I use alot cause I am a seamstress) but also a more accurate representation of my overweight-ness, since I carry much of my weight in a spare tire around my stomach.

Summerblue
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
So my waist - above my belly button is 52" - youza. At one point just after high school my waist was 24", maybe that is why I was waiting to measure my waist.

But now I am glad I did....keepin' it REAL for me, I just flashed that 52" waist size in my head this morning when I was thinking (i said THINKING) about not walking because it's raining....then thinking about that big old 52 flashing like a red neon sign in my head, I walked and even farther than normal.

So here is to US and shrinking our waists....and may be I will eventually HAVE a waist again!

PeanutsMom704
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I decided to just go with my belly button, maybe it's not the specific right place but at least I'll know exactly where to measure for comparisons! Otherwise, I have nothing that is clear cut enough, I'd have to mark myself up with a sharpie! lol!

Today was 45", but I'm guessing that I've lost maybe 4" so far, maybe even a little more.

I got myself one of these fun little gizmos - I'll have to do a full body's worth of measurements, but I think just knowing my waist is as much as I can handle right now!

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y

ScarlettDrawl
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
This reminds me, the other day I found the notebook where I was recording measurements when I started working out and losing weight at the beginning of last year. I am going to do measurements again tonight, but I won't expect much since I had baby #2 in between the last log and now! But it will be nice to have a point of reference down the road.

Enduring Infinity
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
At my current weight (267lbs), my waist at the narrowest point is 38 inches, which is a whopping 17 inches smaller than my 55 inch hips! For comparison, when I started my journey 20 pounds ago, my waist was 41.5 inches and my hips were 58 inches, so I'm more or less keeping the same "distance" between the two as I shrink.

I'm definitely very much a pear shape and imagine that I always will be which means that I have a long, long future of having to get my pants tailored ahead of me, haha.