Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #1  

Default It takes a lot of work staying fat

I've been realizing lately how much work it is to stay fat. I know that most people talk about how hard it is to lose weight, but what about how hard it is to stay fat?

1. I feel guilty if I eat "bad foods".
2. I'm uncomfortable around people because I feel self so conscious.
3. I spend a lot of time reading about diets looking for some "magic cure".
4. It's constantly on my mind. I don't get a brake from thinking about food and from thinking about how I should be exercising.
5. My body is tired, my joints ache, and I get sick too much

I'm sure there are many more to list. There's so much mental and physical work to be fat. I don't think that most people think about it. They think about how much work it is to lose the weight, but don't take into consideration all the effort that it takes to keep the weight.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

what a fantastic way to see things!!!

all of the above are true, plus:
i kept thinking if my other halfs really thought I was attractive, or if they were just saying so because it's something that's said when you're with someone!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It's so much work to be fat!

* It's harder to tie your shoes.
* It's harder to get off the couch.
* It's hard on your knees, feet and joints in general.
* It's hard to sleep! (Sleep apnea/snoring)
* It's hard to get in and out of the car.
* It's hard to chase after little ones.
* It's hard to bend over to get something off the floor!
* It's hard to find clothes that fit, let alone clothes that flattering.
* It's hard to go to the movies or to the theater and have to squeeze past the arm rests.
*It's hard to be hungry all the time, to have no control over food cravings.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-23-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #4  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Loved your post! I'm in one of my "I have to start again, but WHICH plan should I try?" phase, and, although i can't add anything to what's been written so far, I absolutely agree with you! And had a good laugh.

Oh, how easy it must be to be thin
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #5  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

I agree! Being fat is all consuming for me!

Morning, noon and night I think about food, what can I eat, what can't I eat. I'm fat, I'll always be fat, I'm not good enough.

Sheesh! Too much work!

I'm on a mission to just live in the moment. Slowly, getting there.
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #6  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

I love this thread. The biggest thing I hate about being fat is that during 5 pregnancies it was not until around 32 week or later that people would ask when the baby was due. I hated it, especailly since I wen7 through 2 of those pregancies with a close thin friend and people could look at her and know she was pregnant when she was 4 months along. So maybe that is funny thing to be sad about but it is very true.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoThree View Post
I love this thread. The biggest thing I hate about being fat is that during 5 pregnancies it was not until around 32 week or later that people would ask when the baby was due. I hated it, especailly since I wen7 through 2 of those pregancies with a close thin friend and people could look at her and know she was pregnant when she was 4 months along. So maybe that is funny thing to be sad about but it is very true.
I totally understand being sad about that. I thought I looked obviously pregnant for a long time before others thought so. I tried to wear clothes that looked maternity like, too. I loved being pregnant because it was the only time that I didn't feel self conscious or have to suck in my belly.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Oh you are SO right. It is so much harder to mop floors at 278 pounds than it is at 222, I can tell you that.

Then mental effort we expend telling ourselves we will do it TOMORROW and trying to figure out what to do next, would be much better spent thinking of a healthy dinner to prepare tonight.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 03-23-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/120????

Height: 5'2"

I really like how you put things into perspective. Being overweight makes life so much harder. Its hard to keep up with my daughter because she's so active. I find it hard to find clothes that fit me in a way that makes me comfortable. And when I'm out in public I feel like everyone is staring.
mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/180/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I agree. It's hard being heavy.
hometowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ha, that's good! I'm the opposite tho, I'm afraid -- getting and staying fat was FUN and EASY! lol sad but true! tons of crap and no exercise was easy as pie for me WIsh there were an Olympic event for it, I would have brought home the gold for Canada!!!

One thing I don't love about the "new me" is that I feel obsessed with food NOW when I never used to be. I ate what I wanted and when (ha! and look where that got me!?!). Now I THINK about it PLAN for it, always know what my next meal is, always know what i'm buying at the grocery store, it's a necessary evil I know, but Idon't have to love it!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #12  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
ha, that's good! I'm the opposite tho, I'm afraid -- getting and staying fat was FUN and EASY! lol sad but true! tons of crap and no exercise was easy as pie for me WIsh there were an Olympic event for it, I would have brought home the gold for Canada!!!
! hahahaha LOL I'd cheer for you as a fellow Canuck! Although I'm glad I can instead cheer for you getting healthy here

What always strikes me about being fat is how *little* time it takes to lose weight, relative to how awful I used to feel year after year about being fat. In my mind it seemed like it would take "forever" to get to my goal, like it was so out of reach, and the misery of staying where I was was just so daunting and difficult. That was so difficult for me. But then I started to lose weight and it seems like such a quick process by comparison. I know it's not always, especially during the days when my inner me is calling "are we there yet??", but it's nothing compared to the misery and resistance I felt when all of the energy I expand now on losing weight was dedicated to feeling badly about myself and about being fat. It's mind-blowing that I spent so much time sitting on the couch feeling badly about myself but not doing anything to change it.

Paradigm shift for sure.

Last edited by beautifulone; 03-23-2010 at 04:12 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
One thing I don't love about the "new me" is that I feel obsessed with food NOW when I never used to be. I ate what I wanted and when (ha! and look where that got me!?!). Now I THINK about it PLAN for it, always know what my next meal is, always know what i'm buying at the grocery store, it's a necessary evil I know, but Idon't have to love it!
I am with ya there, sometimes I wish I didn't have to care so much, but alas I do.

Being fat makes everything harder in my opinion.

I had no energy
I got anxious when meeting new people.
I never wanted to go anywhere or do anything that involved movement, Plus I even hated going to the movies cause I didn't fit in the seat.
Being fat SUCKED there is nothing I miss about it!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Well, I was a secret binger so actually just staying fat took a lot of work.

I had to find ways to get to the store alone, keep cash in my wallet, throw out wrappers where no one would see them, figure out how to eat more than my share of goodies and yet try to prevent people from noticing. Pick times to raid the kitchen when no one was around.

The whole thing was totally and completely exhausting, expensive, soul-sucking and above all POINTLESS, because even though I could hide a lot of my bad eating habits, I couldn't hide the RESULTS.

Much, much, much easier just eating more or less like a normal person.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #15  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

It's harder to find something cute to wear when meeting the (likely) future in-laws for the first time.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote