100 lb. Club - Loosing the BELLY weight.............

Summerblue
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello Everyone!

I would say of all of my 100 lbs of overweightness ok fatness, is in my mid- section.

For excercise I am walking a lot.........any one have any suggestions for tackling the mid section directly?

THANKS!

luvja
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
That's where I gain most of my weight aswell. I've lost over 100 lbs to date, and my belly has shrunk a lot, and the only excercise I have ever done is walk :) Walking works! Good luck.

JackiG
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
You are not able to target one specific area. You need to do it as a whole. Cardio and resistance exercise will do it! I carry a lot of weight in my stomach area as well. Good luck!

Eliana
03-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Like Jaki said, you can't target weight loss, unfortunately. Our bodies get to choose where to put it and where to take it off. But you can tone the muscle underneath so when the fat DOES come off, the muscles will be there. ;)

Walking is great! Stick with walking! Even better, find a hilly area and walk there. :D

astrophe
03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm an apple shape and this is where I carry it most too. You are not alone!

A.

PeanutsMom704
03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm a mid-section weight carrier too. I hate it, I have such a tough time finding clothing to fit because if it goes around my waist, it's miles too big everywhere else!

I'm just hoping that as I lose more weight, it will eventually come from there too.

Asherdoodles87
03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm the same way. My waist and hips have lost a few inches since I started exercising. I have been doing cardio and strength. I have also been doing a lot of ab exercises. Unfortunately we can't target a specific area to lose the weight. It should slim down over time.

graceandbalance
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm also an apple shape - like PeanutsMom its hard for me to find clothes that fit the waist and aren't huge in the butt/legs. Not only that, but my pants size is highly highly dependent on the rise of the pants - if they are low rise I can be a size 20, if they come to the waist I'm at least a 24. Even when I was much thinner (140 lbs) I had the same issue - its just the size range was between an 8 and a 12. It's hard to fight your natural body shape...

fitbyforty
03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Pilates did wonders for me.

Asherdoodles87
03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I wanted to try pilates, but I have always been nervous to try pilates because of my size. Is it harder if you're larger to keep up?

Helen ready to lose
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
It is true you can't target an area. However, I agree that doing Pilates or even specific ab exercises strengthens/tones your ab area and it looks much better.

WarMaiden
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Throughout my journey, I have been slower to lose from my belly than from anywhere else, alas. But eventually, it'll have to come off. And even now, I have lost significant inches from my waist. I just purchased a piece of shaping underwear that is helping to control the whole area from my ribs to my butt, and that feels really good. (Helps me stand up straighter, too!) I think there's no shame in controlling my belly with spandex while I also work on changing it with diet and exercise.

MomtoThree
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
WarMadien, now I feel better about looking at that shaping underwear. I am thinking about buying something so I can wear dresses without looking pregnant. Have you noticed how much of it is in smaller sizes?

WarMaiden
03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Have you noticed how much of it is in smaller sizes?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean whether it will be possible to find the correct size for you right now, or whether it might be too small? Or whether they make shapewear for smaller sizes than we are now?

jigglefree
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Warmaiden I'm so with you. I'm working on everything but having something to help me in the meantime is what I'm doing especially with clingy stuff.

JustSharing83
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I think patience is key for us big bellied gals because the fat can take its sweet time leaving that area.

I know I can't target my belly for weight loss, but I do enjoy working the area with jackknives on the Wii Fit! I started at 10 and now can easily do 100 and BOY! does my tummy feel it! Not really pain or anything, I just know it's been worked.

Summerblue
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone........my son has a Wii...maybe i'll look into Wii Fit - does anyone here use it?

I will continue walking everyday and also look for more hilly areas.

Yah clothes can be frustrating.......I have noticed that I must have lost inches, I should measure myself and keep track. My once snug clothes are fitting well and even a couple items are baggy.

I always wear the shapers underware. I hate low rise, I never like my stomach hanging over. But that's me :)

JustSharing83
03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Wii Fit has been an incredible tool for me, especially when it comes to getting exercise during Iowa's hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters when getting out of the house just isn't an option for me. I love the variety and I actually have fun with it. There are four categories - balance, yoga, strength training, aerobics with several exercises in each. My absolute favorite exercise is the free run. Depending on my mood and how much time I have, I run 10, 20, or 30 minutes. I know running in place can sound monotonous, but their cute park graphics or the option of turning it over to live TV keeps me into it and it's really effective. My heart rate stays up and I sweat like crazy, but it sure feels good!

Also, Wii Fit has a very active scale and charts your progress which can be very motivating.

MomtoThree
03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean whether it will be possible to find the correct size for you right now, or whether it might be too small? Or whether they make shapewear for smaller sizes than we are now?

I was just surprised that when I was looking that is was harder for me to find a plus size. I think I am going to head to Layne Bryant this week end. It just amazed me how many size smalls the stores carried. I never really thought about thinner women wearing a foundation to make their clothes look better.

MomtoThree
03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone........my son has a Wii...maybe i'll look into Wii Fit - does anyone here use it?:)

Our family loves our Wii Fit. We have owned it about a year. It is a fun thing to help all of us get active. Most of our kids are younger so that do not always know how to play but the still enjoy it especially the running.

My favorite thing has been the Wii Active. I feel like I can get a good workout and I burn more calories with the activities on it. (I use a gowear fit to tell me how many calories I am burning.) I started out with Wii Active More and last night I bought the Wii active original version for more variety.

mkyice
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Summerblue~ I love the wii fit. You can use it to excercise and play games with the family.
Momtothree~ I'm in Japan. I haven't seen very many heavy Japanese ladies. I can only recall seeing 1 who was most likely obese. I have seen lots of very tiny ladies (both height and weight). I was suprised to see a lot of body shaper type undergarments in the department stores (all in tiny sizes!) I guess there are a lot of people thinking they could use a little help "smoothing things out." I do get what you are saying though, I would expect to see a greater amount in the larger sizes and less in the tiny sizes. Maybe it's because the bigger sizes sell faster?

Angihas2
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Thinner women tend to buy the short, clingy dresses/outfits/etc...just like us bigger girls, they deal with bra bulge, muffin tops, saddlebags etc. They want the same things we do, that smooth drape of clothing and they often use shapers to achieve this. I'm all for them, small, big or really big, if it makes you feel more confident, more attractive go for it. I know I used them before when I was 127 lbs and I know I'll use them again.

ubergirl
03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I have tons of belly fat, but since I started running and working out with a personal trainer my abs really control the belly a lot better, so it's not as noticeable when I'm dressed....

TempleBody
03-23-2010, 11:15 PM
My personal trainer told me to work out my legs hard and then when I've lost all the weight if my legs are not proportionate then I can work on building muscle there. Also, told me to lose belly fat its best to avoid carbs and stuff like that, but its over all fat loss that matters and yes, belly fat is usually the last place that gos.

JustBeckyV
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
*raises hand* Right there with ya -- just keep doing what you are doing and eventually it's gotta go - right? That's what I am hoping anyway lol