South Beach Diet - What's for Dinner in the spring

View Full Version : What's for Dinner in the spring

CyndiM
03-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I love spring with it's crazy swings from winter to summer weather with brief stops in-between. It can make dinner planning a challenge though :)

Tonight I'm making a frittata, sweet potato home fries, and side salads. I'll pick the veggie for the frittata when I get to the Co-op. Maybe someone will have early greens?

cottagebythesea
03-22-2010, 05:59 AM
A frittata sounds pretty good, Cyndi. I haven't made one in a while, and I have the makings for a spinach and feta cheese one. That would go good tonight along with butternut squash fries. ;)

jenne1017
03-22-2010, 08:11 AM
You two are like twins!

I am going to make a steak with steamed broccoli and a cucumber tomato salad. If it rains, then leftovers of Stuffed Bell Peppers.

JerseyGirrl
03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a pack of lean ground chicken I have to use tonight. I am thinking maybe a chicken burger(no bun) with tzatiki sauce over it with a tomato salad and butternut squash "fries".

jenne...you are looking great! I remember your pic from last year and you can really see the weightloss in your face. Congrats!

TallGirl
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I am taking the crack slaw plunge here! I will add a small portion of brown rice to my serving and adding some additional veggies to it also. Broccoli on the side.

Kim_Star060404
03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
It's 2:54 pm and I have NO CLUE what we're having. :rolleyes: I was supposed to have thawed out some meat and started the crock pot this morning, but yesterday was crazy and I completely forgot about dinner tonight.

I'm headed to the store after work and will probably pick up the fixin's for big salads w/ some lean grilled protein on top. I'll just have to wait and see what looks good at the store.

jenne1017
03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Aww Thanks Melissa. It's the only place I seem to be losing though is my face :lol3:

Kim - hope something protein-y looks too good to pass up!

Heidi58
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and a red pepper chopped and baked in tomato sauce with some shredded mozzarella added before serving. Also spinach salad and ww rolls for Fergie.

Easy and boring but very yummy. :)

Lexxiss
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM
We missed our roasted chix by 5 min so we're having black beans with fresh salsa from the salad bar, cauliflower, radishes and jicama. DH bought a 69 cent ramen but I'll pass.

Next year we'll bring more food. We didn't realize how expensive it would be here.

JerseyGirrl
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM
jenne...my face is the hardest place for me to lose lol ...my lil turkey neck is cemented in lol

jennyplain
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I gave myself one table spoon of vegetable oil to make my whole dinner tonight. I'm trying to eat less fats.

So, I seasoned some tilapia with Old Bay and adobo seasoning (brushing it lightly with veggie oil), then baked it at 450 degrees for 25 minutes. Then, in the toaster oven, I roasted asparagus with some of the leftover oil, along with some shallot salt. I took what was left of my tablespoon (almost half!) and put it in a pain, where I sauteed about a cup of mushrooms.

I was shocked I could make one tablespoonful go so far! This will teach me to let the oil glug glug and think I was being healthy, haha.

CyndiM
03-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Okay, I give up. tonight I'm trying the crack slaw. It better be as good as all the hype around here ;)

Heidi58
03-23-2010, 06:16 AM
:D Good move, Cyndi! I'll be shocked if you don't love it. :lol:

cottagebythesea
03-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Cyndi, I'm not trying to be your clone, but I was contemplating trying the Crackslaw on my family this evening, too!

Too funny! :lol:

CyndiM
03-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Heidi - We love greens and baby bok choi cooked this way so I'm sure we will love it. I'm still debating tofu or veggie chicken strips. I'll figure that out tonight :)

cottagebythesea
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm making mine with Smartfoods fake Chicken Strips. :)

jenne1017
03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Cyndi and Cottage need to be separated now please! They are morphing into one!!!

Cyndi, how do you plan on making the crack slaw?

I think I am going to make some tofu stir fry. I don't think I've ever made tofu myself before. Any tips?

CyndiM
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Cottage - I'm doing mine the same way tomorrow. Today I'm home early because I'm feeling punky so it's mock cornbread casserole for me.

Jenn - I like to cut the tofu into chunks and roast it in the oven before using. Crisps it up without all the oil.

Kim_Star060404
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
We're having lean ground sirloin and red beans over brown rice. We'll probably have big salads on the side and I have some leftover brussel sprouts as well. I'll be making up the beef and beans as I go, so let's hope it tastes good. I'm thinking I'll make it with a bit of a cajun flair. My goal was to have enough leftovers for DH to eat tomorrow and Thursday night while I'm gone.

jenne1017
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
I never thought to roast it!!! It really crisps it Cyn?

CyndiM
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I never thought to roast it!!! It really crisps it Cyn?

Not quite like the corn starch dredged fried chunks at Chinese restaurants but pretty good.

jenne1017
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Ahhhh Corn Starch. Hmmm. I wound up making a beef stir fry with broccoli and mushroom caps as all were about to go bad.

I must put more thought into the tofu.

cottagebythesea
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
I had to report back that the Crackslaw was a big hit here tonight. But my family thinks it should be called by a different name. Even I have to admit that I flinch when I say it. ;)

Cyndi, what are we making for supper tomorrow? :lol:

Lexxiss
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Tabouli, jicama, cucumber, fruit and bean brownie for dessert. DH will finish the roasted chicken (and his Doritos)

Lexxiss
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I had to report back that the Crackslaw was a big hit here tonight. But my family thinks it should be called by a different name. Even I have to admit that I flinch when I say it. ;) :lol:

I think you could call it Mu Shu Beef, pork or chicken. It's close enough to the Chinese recipe. I call it crackslaw just because I don't have kids and I think it's funny, but I vary the recipe a bit and in my heart it's really Mu Shu.

CyndiM
03-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Okay, I haven't actually made the crackslaw yet. Tuesday I needed comfort food and yesterday our local Shaws had almost no veggies (strike at teh warehouse apparently). Tonight is the night! It's perfect because I need quick and easy so I can watch the game!

Last night I made a super easy chickpea & spinach dinner with Greek seasonings. It would also be good with curry. We served it over quinoa. The whole meal took less than half an hour and that was cooking not prep. DW loved it. I love quick and easy dinners :)

cottagebythesea
03-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Cyndi, I'd love that recipe, please?

I'm going to do something with spaghetti squash for tonight's supper, probably the deep dish pie.

jenne1017
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I had brown rice pasta last night and I plan to be out of here no later than 5:30p tonight. I still haven't made that yam and it's the last night of DW-free dinners so I am thinking of baked chicken (breasts - I don't eat chicken on a bone) and roasted sweet potatoes with smashed cauliflower.

I hope I can get to the store!

WaistingTime
03-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately for me, DS has his first track meet tomorrow and needs to carb load. So he is having spaghetti with meat sauce tonight. I will have the sauce and a plate of veggies. I have tried it on spaghetti squash before for myself but didn't love it. His sports seasons make my dinners more complicated:)

Mmckellen
03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Dinners for week of 3/28-4/2
Sunday - out for middle eastern food - felafel, babaganoush, cauliflower, salad
Monday - roast chicken from the store with broccoli rabe and regular broccoli
Tuesday - a planned cheat night. We were invited to a seder and I am having a latke or two.
Wednesday - sage sausage sauteed with fat drained off and mixed with chick peas, arugula
Thursday - at my mom's place, not sure
Friday - mom's place again.

KellyEnix
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok, I've heard the term "crack slaw" like 50 times in the past 2 days on here.... What is crack slaw??? Will someone please enlighten me and possibly point me in the direction of a recipe?? Thanks!

cottagebythesea
03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Kelly, crack slaw is shredded cabbage & carrots (coleslaw mix), cooked in sesame seed oil. You can find the recipe in our Phase 1 Entrees section of this forum.

CyndiM
03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Mmc - I am so jealous that you have a good place to get Middle Eastern food. That's about the only thing I miss about Syracuse.

Tonight was tofurkey roast with a few tiny blue potatoes that have been hanging around since the fall CSA. DW had smashed cauliflower and mine was crisp steamed.

Tomorrow will be a veggie scramble with a little goat cheese and refried beans.

litar
03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Tonight was leftovers....but I made an eggplant lasagna for tomorrow night and DH even helped me out a little. It was time consuming- especially for me but I just took a small little bite to see how it turned out and it was YUMMY. The eggplant replaces the noodles so it is SB friendly!

Heidi58
03-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Lisa I'm wishing I could have supper at your house tonight! :) I love eggplant lasagna, actually I love eggplant anything. lol

We had eggplant, red pepper and green and yellow squash in tomato sauce with a green salad.

TwynnB
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM
I need to try eggplant lasagna again, if even only for myself. Anyone have any favorite recipes?

litar
03-29-2010, 06:02 AM
I can post the one I used...I will try and add it to the recipe section today! I won't have time this morning but I can later today!

Ruthxxx
03-29-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm planning either Crack Slaw with leftover beef or that spinach and chick-pea dish with quinoa. I keep planning it and then eating out of my stash but today may be the day to try one of two recipes.

cottagebythesea
03-29-2010, 07:11 AM
I discovered some fake "Buffalo Wings" at the grocery store, and I found a SBD friendly blue cheese dressing, so I'm looking forward to having that tonight, along with a big salad.

jenne1017
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Crack Slaw for us tonight!

CyndiM
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Changed my mind - bok choi with fake chicken tonight (think crack slaw with bok choi). I"ll make the veggie scramble tomorrow after my massage ;)

Cottage - Recently I've found 2 new brands of wings and both are good. I often eat my naked quorn cutlets with wing sauce :)
Hope you like yours

jenne1017
03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
crack slaw!

Heidi58
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I need to try eggplant lasagna again, if even only for myself. Anyone have any favorite recipes?

Here's the one I use (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/198000-easy-eggplant-casserole.html#post3223650). It's not quite as 'traditional lasagna' as the one Lisa posted, but it's quite easy and only serves 4.

Lisa, I'm going to try yours next time my son and his girlfriend come for dinner. It sounds really good - thanks for posting it. :)

TwynnB
03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks!

CyndiM
04-12-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm trying to plan a week at a time which is a big change for us. I usually wander through the grocery store and decide last minute.

This week (no order yet):

Mock cornbread casserole with an Italian flair
spaghetti squash & veggies
veggie scramble
crack slaw with veggie chicken

Friday night we will have wraps from the Co-op because we will be on the road :)

Auburn Girl
04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I am making Eggplant Parmesan/Lasagna tonight for dinner with homemade spaghetti sauce from canned tomatoes with cucumber salad.

HistoryChick
04-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking about making that yummy taco bake!

EmmaD
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to plan a week at a time which is a big change for us. I usually wander through the grocery store and decide last minute.

Me too! Starting this week. First time EVER.

So, let's see, the week consists of:

Mon: Tempeh parmesan with steamed broccoli, spinach salad
Tue: Salmon roll stuffed with crabmeat; steamed cauliflower (orange cauliflower?), grilled asparagus and a green salad
Wed: Poached eggs in spicy yogurt (a Turkish dish (http://almostturkish.blogspot.com/2007/03/turkish-poached-eggs-with-yogurt-lbr.html); I make it with very little butter and add chopped roasted red pepper to the yogurt) with cucumber/tomato salad
Thur: Shrimp or tofu stirfry with red peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, etc… with brown rice/multigrain "medley"
Fri: Spaghetti squash deep-dish pie (haven't made it this way yet) with zucchini, broccoli and spinach, tomato sauce and real mozzarella cheese (just a bit :) ) and arugula salad.
Weekend, who knows, we'll probably be out. Will try to stick to fish & veggies.

cottagebythesea
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm having a big plate of cauliflower popcorn and mushrooms for supper tonight.

Fat Melanie
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I made some chicken breast rubbed with herbs and spices and a little salt and pepper, topped with chunky-chopped onion, drizzled with EVOO. Side of lima beans and green beans. I don't have any fudgesicles so I'm going to use my 2 cups allowance of FF milk and mix it with a teaspoon of instant coffee, a bit of cinnamon, and a splenda packet to see if it turns out good for dessert.

litar
04-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I just made the spinach and chicken casserole that is in the recipe section...I followed the recipe but tweaked it as Jenn did in a post that followed the recipe b/c her suggestions sounded great and her photo looked even better. It was a hit with everyone....Thanks Jenn

murphmitch
04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Spaghetti squash deep dish Italian pie: We like sauteed red peppers, garlic and onions over tomato & basil spaghetti sauce topped with RF cheese. Yum! Leftovers tomorrow night.

CyndiM
04-14-2010, 06:38 AM
The planning did not work for me :o Monday I made a large salad for lunch, didn't eat it because I forgot I had soup left from Friday. Dinner was salad and veggie burgers. Last night DW went directly to an open mike so dinner was on my own. Tomorrow night we are going out with a friend so dinner at the pub (large salad with grilled salmon). Ah well, I'll keep working on it ;)

Tonight - Mock cornbread casserole with an Italian seasoned filling with veggie sausage

CyndiM
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
You know I love this thread ;)

Tonight was crack slaw. This week's version had coleslaw mix, a few snow peas, and frozen thai veggies along with veggie chicken strips and plenty of garlic. :drool:

I told a coworker about the recipe today. She needs quick and tasty meals and I know they love Chinese food. This one like the mock snack cake isn't just for dieters :)

cottagebythesea
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Cyndi, I made crackslaw for my dinner yesterday, and had leftovers for lunch today. My version was made with coleslaw mix, mushrooms, lots of onions and garlic, and fake chicken strips. Next time, I'm going to use either chickpeas or another white bean as the protein. Can't wait to try that!

Lexxiss
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
We had crackslaw last night, too!

Tonight was one of my versions of Taco Bake.

CyndiM
04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
No energy tonight so it was a simple dinner - refried beans with lots of spicy salsa and a little rf cheese and a giant chopped salad.

EmmaD
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I've been away and I had to look almost a month back to find this thread. I love this one! Hope it picks up again. It gives me the best ideas for new stuff to try ...

Mine's not so exciting tonight, but here goes:

Pan-grilled Ahi tuna steaks with steamed broccoli and a huge green salad :)

CyndiM
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Mine is even more dull but a good recommendation for in a hurry or away from home days. we are eating Lightlife frozen meals for dinner. They are all whole grain (rice, pasta,etc) and have the sauce on the side so you can decide how much, if any, you want. I'm making a huge salad to go along with it. I decided not to cook so made breakfasts to reheat (frittata and beans) and brought salad ingredients, veggie burgers, lightlife dinners, beans, hummus & flatout wraps. It's not as good as eating at home but a lt better than eating out every night :

Ruthxxx
05-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Some sort of shrimp, spinach and pepper stir-fry on quinoa, my new fave carb!

cottagebythesea
05-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Roasted green beans, mini peppers, & mushrooms, sprinkled with feta cheese. With a glass of Menage a Trois. YUM! :T

Lexxiss
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Morningstar veggie burger, a sm. piece of kippered red salmon from my Alaska stash, fresh brussel sprouts and kitchen sink salad.

RiverGirl
05-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Grilled chicken caesar salad.... yum! :T

Christian
05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I had baked chicken breast, boiled cabbage, 1/4 cup of beans and tomatoes YUM!

luckontherun
05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Phase 2, day 3

Dinner was sauted summer squash, onions, green olives, some pine nuts and avocado frittata, was delicious!

I think this meets the plan?

Must try the crack cabbage that everyone is raving about! Thanks for the heads up! Luck

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
One of my fave spring/summer dinners is definitely caprese salad over mixed baby greens dressed with equal parts balsamic vinegar and EVOO. Light and delicious with all the fresh veggies.

luckontherun
05-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey THC,
That may have answered my question if fresh mozarella is part of the plan? Love caprese salad, and have my basil planted for just such a venture. My sister does cottage cheese, small tomatoes, basil and balsamic. Yum

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey THC,
That may have answered my question if fresh mozarella is part of the plan? Love caprese salad, and have my basil planted for just such a venture. My sister does cottage cheese, small tomatoes, basil and balsamic. Yum

As far as I know, fresh mozzarella is acceptable. I ate tons of it on my last SBD go round. I get Bel Gioioso fresh mozzarella pearls at Costco, and they have 70 cal and 5g fat per 1 oz serving. They are fabulous.

RiverGirl
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Tonights dinner was a cold chicken salad (with hb egg, onions, celery, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper & a little pickle) served on a bed of romaine lettuce, topped with tomatoes.

cottagebythesea
05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I had my usual Thursday night salad bar salad and ate it in the car while the girls were in gymnastics. Tonight's salad consisted of chickpeas, baby spinach and red leaf lettuce, cukes, red onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, shredded carrots and a little shredded cheddar cheese, without any dressing.

Lexxiss
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Everybody's dinners sounded great!

Late night here
FRESH ALASKA KING SALMON
Green beans and brussel sprouts
kitchen sink salad

Bon apetit!

EmmaD
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Trying something that I haven't tried since starting South Beach - a stir-fry. I used to use bottled sauces that have a lot of sugar in them.

Will include shrimp, peppers, broccoli, carrots/sweet potato.
Sauce? Need to research. Will involve soy sauce.

I will serve mine over quinoa, hubby's over white rice.

I'm going to start the meal with a completely unrelated tomato/cucumber salad.

Christian
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Looks like great northern beans and SBD approved turkey sausage for me ;)