South Beach Diet - first Weekend In Spring Beach Chat

cottagebythesea
03-20-2010, 06:38 AM
:sunny: :flow1: :sunny: :flow1: :sunny:

Happy First Day of SPRING! :dance: :hat:

I'll be back with my coffee in a minute!

Heidi58
03-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Good morning! I'm here with my tea, just waiting for some company. lol

The first day of Spring is going to be gorgeous here! :) I'm looking forward to a long walk this morning and hopefully I'll get some raking done this afternoon. Our shady backyard has still got snow but the front yard is pretty bare and the little bit that's left there should melt today. There's snow in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday, but I'll just enjoy one day at a time. lol

Enjoy your Saturday friends! :hug:

CyndiM
03-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Good morning Spring Chicks :coffee2: I was up late and can't believe I'm awake already. I can't stay in bed on a nice day

Cottage - Happy spring to you :)

Heidi - I'm ignoring that forecast. Our snow is all gone except for plow piles. Enjoy that walk :)

We will stick close to home this weekend and do some spring cleaning. I'm also planning yard work including getting the row cover up over one of my beds and peas and kale planted. I just can't wait any longer :flow1::flow2:

Right now I need some more coffee though. I'm at the hour post wake-up wish I'd gone back to sleep instead point.

Heidi58
03-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Good morning Cyndi :wave:

I'm anxious to get our garden started too. It's a bit too early for us to start yet though. I'm kind of envious of you though. lol

CyndiM
03-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Heidi - I cheat :) I have this great mini greenhouse thing that fits over the row. If I put that out now it will keep things warm and protected when the temps drop. I always put my peas in too late so am hoping to get it right this year.

Lexxiss
03-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Good Morning:sunny: :sunny:

Thanks for the Spring wake up call, Linda.

I had a chatty post going, but pushed the wrong button...so have a great weekend everyone! We're off as soon as we get the car packed up. I got out of dog evals so we have the whole day to get to our destination which means lots of fun stops.

Heidi58
03-20-2010, 07:19 AM
:) Ah. Sounds great Cyndi.
We grew peas for years but the deer always get more of them than we do so the past few years we haven't bothered with them. We're anxious to get our Swiss Chard in though.

Good morning Debbie :wave:
Have a safe trip and enjoy lots of fun stops!

femmecreole
03-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Morning all! Sounds like eveyone is in a sunny planting mood!
Everthing here is starting to turn green and sprouting...along with the pollen that has made me sick as a dog! I can usually fight it off, but this year it got me big time...cough, cough!! Going to do some stuff around the house, but should take it easy. Haven't been to the gym in a week and I feel all tired and sluggish...ick.

cottagebythesea
03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
:coffee2: OK, I'm back!

Heidi, all our snow is finally gone and I think it's safe to say we're done with it for the year. :crossed: The forecast is for rain and mild temps next week, but I can deal with that. It's going to be a glorious day here, and I'm going to be out in the sunshine as much as possible. Enjoy your walk!

Cyndi, I was looking at the garden yesterday, but Jake wants to get a load of supersoil on it before we do any planting. We tried the lasagna method throught the winter, but we still need more soil. I'm going to have a couple yards of it delivered next week. Jake is looking into making row covers with pvc piping and some heavy gauge plastic, and he'll probably be working on it today.

So, we're off for some breakfast and some grocery shopping, then back home in time for Amber and Tyler to be dropped off. They are spending the afternoon with us, and I'm thinking of taking them to the park down the street, since our back yard is still too muddy for them to play in. We're going to be outside as much as possible today and enjoy this weather while it lasts. :)

Debbie and Karen, safe travels today!

Kara, did Tom make it home all right?

Good morning, Cat! Sorry that the spring allergies are getting to you! I'd better start taking something for mine before they get bad, too! Feel better soon!

Mmckellen
03-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Happy Spring everyone! How about thoughts for a new beginning...for me, it will be back to Phase 1 as of tomorrow for 2 full weeks, and a change in attitude. I am starting CBT on Wednesday to deal with my perfectionism issues and I'm excited about it. I also realized that I have had a sinus infection, rather than just a cold for the last two weeks. Since I started an antibiotic I feel so much better.

Heidi, Cyndi and Cottage - I am SO jealous of your gardens. We live in an apartment and I would love a garden so much (almost as much as my husband would like a garage). Some day it will happen for us!

Have a great day everyone!

TwynnB
03-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow ladies!! It is a such a gorgeous day, I have to at least pop in and say hello. I've been fantasizing about my garden as well. A friend that has a farm said I could plant some greens in 1-2 weeks!!! WAHOO!! Turnips, maybe collards. I need to plan it out soon, since we're having an invisible fence put in , and I want it to go around the garden so she doesn't run through it.

Have a FABULOUS day!!

Ruthxxx
03-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Whahhhh! I want to be home and in the garden.

Gprgepus day here and we are going to Melbourne which is on the ocean. I may wade! Really having a relaxing and fun time.

Heidi58
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Ruth :wave:
Enjoy your day at the ocean! I'm glad you're having a great time.

Twynn, that's a good plan with the fence! Our little dog loves to dig in soft soil. She dug up a section of newly marigolds several years ago. She was only about 3 feet away from my DH but he was 'distracted'. ;)

Mmck - glad you're starting to feel better. And Cat - I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Lexxiss
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
We're on the road and battery life is limited. I'll save some for later. I think someone should start the Spring gardening thread!

1oftheLuvs
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies

It has been an extremely busy week around here, which is why I haven't been around in the last couple of days. We're getting ready to leave bright and early tomorrow morning to go on a cruise for a week... it seems as though I always have more things that pop up that I need to address just before I go... I don't know why that is... :?:

I have been staying completely OP in spite of being busy, I just haven't gotten over here or done my written meal plans.

Obviously I won't be staying totally OP next week, but I have a plan for staying about 90% OP and I hope that's enough to prevent a gain while we're gone. We go quite often, so I have to learn to eat well on a ship or I'm going to be in trouble.

I'll do my Monday morning weigh-in tomorrow morning, but I'm not quite sure what to expect from the scale (TOM).

It sounds like everyone here is ready for Spring... Enjoy it. :)

KatehSparrow
03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Afternoon everyone! I love all the talk about gardening. The daffodils in our front yard are slowly coming up and should be here in time for easter. Afterall, what is easter without daffodils?

I'm inviting some friends over today to play board games out on the deck for a relaxing afternoon. I would have loved to go biking or something but one of them got hit by a car a few weeks ago and is on crutches/in a wheelchair because of a broken leg. I figured playing games outside was a good way for us to enjoy the sunshine.

Today is my last day here and I haven't gotten ANY work done... which isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I scheduled time to procrastinate it... which is very strange, I know, but it keeps me on track.

Enjoy this beautiful day, everyone!

jenne1017
03-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Morning chickies!

I was up at 5a - awoken by my 70 year old neighbor cursing out a guy trying to break into her car! It was lively. So now my day is off because I couldn't get back to sleep until 6:30a and lept until 11a. I am going to spring clean the kitchen, clear out the fridge and then go to Target for cat food and the grocery store as well.

I think there are random tulips popping up in the backyard. Because we don't own the house, we can't nor do we want to put in the effort and $ into a real garden. So my dad bought a seed mat...lol I want to put it out today when I am hauling the garbage back and fourth.

Anyway, I am off to start my day. It's times liek these when I am thankful not to have kids ;)

femmecreole
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
re: the dog digging...

My dogs LOVE to dig in my raised garden when I first plant stuff, so what I do is cover the soil in cayenne pepper and that keeps them out of there. I just get those huge cheapo containers of it at the grocery store.

Heidi58
03-20-2010, 05:45 PM
That's a good idea Cat. Neighborhood cats and dogs get into my mom's gardens, I'll have to pass that tip along.

I just finished several hours of yard work and I'm feeling tired but very happy. I wore my gloves but ended up with a few blisters anyway... instead of whining about them I'm calling them the start of my "nice weather calluses". :lol:

I was amazed at how many shoots I found when I started raking. I hope I won't be sorry that I uncovered my flower beds so soon, but this has been a weird winter - so mild. I'm expecting a delightful, early spring. :encore:

Chelby29
03-20-2010, 08:49 PM
My dogs don't dig, but they lay in the middle of my flower beds. I'll try the cayenne. Thanks, Cat!

It has been a beautiful couple of days here. But, the forecast from Sunday night through Monday morning calls for snow. Boo! Who said to enjoy it one day at a time? I hope for a little more sun and warmth tomorrow morning...

Lexxiss
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Chelby, I just can't imagine cayenne phasing Sparkit! Maybe bulk from Sams :lol:

We're in the middle of nowhere...very beautiful, but I'm glad I brought food...very few choices and very expensive. We toured Capitol Reef Natl Park today and will head to Bryce Canyon Natl Park tomorrow. No coffee maker in the room-I have to walk down now and get our thermos filled...a Sunday without coffee in the heart of Mormon country would be quite grim!

Chelby29
03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Debbie, My SIL got an invisible fence for their little yappy dog. The fence installer said that there are only two dogs that could not be deterred by the electric shock -- a malamute and a great pyrenees. You are right -- it may take more persuasion to keep Sparkit out of my garden. :p

Good luck with the coffee!

WaistingTime
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Made it home! Is it really spring? Snow here! We made our delayed-start drive straight through in 12 hours with only bad roads the first hour or so and the last hour. Phew.

Shoulder is still quite sore. Hard to type:( Doubt I can exercise. Eager to catch up tomorrow and see what scale says. Til then chicks :hug:

cottagebythesea
03-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Good Sunday morning. :coffee:

I'm glad you made it back home through the snowstorms, Karen! I hope your shoulder heals soon so you can start getting back into the swing of things.

I think we're going to get one more day of this gorgeous, sunny weather before rain moves in. I'm visiting my parents this morning for a while, but plan to sit out on the patio with my book for a while this afternoon. Yesterday, I found new homes for several azalea and a few perrenials that we dug up from the front yard before the water guys got here, so there's nothing pressing to do today. Amber, Tyler and I had a lot of fun at the park yesterday, playing on the playground equipment and exploring the creek. Both kids came home with muddy shoes and wet pant cuffs, but they had a blast, and that's what matters. :)
I think Monica and the girls are coming out after church today, and Dustin and Andrea and the kids will be back over for supper, so I'm making them chicken parmigiana and pasta, and will make spaghetti squash for me.

What's everyone doing today?

Heidi58
03-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Good morning! :wave:

Karen, I'm glad you're home safe and sound. I'm sorry your shoulder is still so painful though.

Linda it sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday! And gave Amber and Tyler some great memories.

I spent most of my day outdoors yesterday too. I got so much done and I'm feeling great this morning, but I look pretty awful. My eyes are bloodshot (allergies) and my nose is bright red (I never thought to use sunscreen in March) and I've got band aids all over my hands to keep the blister ointment where it belongs. lol I'm hoping I can make myself look a little bit more presentable before I leave for church or people will start fleeing when I walk in the door. :lol: My yard looks really good though. :D

I've got a little bit more to do out there this afternoon, we've got rain/sleet on the way so it's today or who knows when. I've also got lesson plans and some baking to do too, (for a funeral meal tomorrow). I'll wait and do the baking right after supper when I'm stuffed though. That's when it's easiest for me not to do any taste testing.

Enjoy your Sunday ladies! :hug:

CyndiM
03-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Good morning :coffee2: The cats let us sleep in until 6:30. It's not much but I'll take it. No sun or 70s here today, more like rain and 50s. Oh well, still beats that other stuff.

Karen - hope the shoulder recovers quickly.

Cottage - Enjoy the sun :) I encourage mud play and send ideas out about that all the time. Mud is fun!

Heidi - Yesterday morning I was laughing because I got my first Pollen Update, a sure sign of spring. It's New England I'm sure everyone was making the most of the weather yesterday :)

Today it's all about spring cleaning and watching basketball :) I cooked 4 kinds of beans yesterday but might do some chick peas for crunchies today. For all you mock snack cake adventurers I made a pumpkin spice cake last night that is amazing. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this recipe :)

Now I need my coffee! Hope the sun is out where you are

cottagebythesea
03-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Heidi, it's a shame that you have to suffer through allergies while enjoying the weather. Are you taking anything for the symptoms? I like your strategy for avoiding any baking mishaps!

Cyndi, we're supposed to have rain for the next couple of days, so I'm getting the most out of today! Did you get your peas planted yesterday?

I'd better be prepared for Spring allergy season, although so far I've been OK. It's not OP, but I swear by a spoonful of local raw, unprocessed honey every day. It's helped get me through the pollen season when nothing else worked.

Woohoo! I just found a can of organic pumpkin in my pantry! I'm going to bake a Pumpkin Spice Snack Cake today! :)

Lexxiss
03-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Good Morning:sunny:
Karen, glad to hear from you. I hope you get some rest today.

Cottage, I'm always amazed when I hear that azaleas really grow in the ground! I'm glad you're having a great weekend with the kids. Enjoy your porch moments today.

Heidi, you provided such a good description-I imagined the gardener both pre-project and after. Ouch. Have a good day.

Cyndi, please post your pumpkin modification. I tried one, but it wasn't post worthy. I did make a gingerbread, but won't post it since it has a bit of molasses. Enjoy your day at home.

Me, sitting in Torrey, Utah, drinking reheated coffee (organic-fair trade) waiting for the troops to rise. At least it looks like there will be time to drink this coffee and have them fill our thermos. I hope we get some good hiking in today, and that maybe I can ride my bike a bit, too. It's freezing cold here-very windy.

Have a great day everyone!

Heidi58
03-21-2010, 07:46 AM
I think you're right about spring in New England Cyndi - I had fun watching traffic go by. One minute a car would go by with skis on the roof, headed for Sunday River and some spring skiing. The next thing you know a motorcycle or a convertible with the top down would whiz past. lol

Linda, I take zyrtec, nasonex and use eye drops as needed for my allergies. I never had any problems with allergies (or my weight) until I was 39. I had pneumonia that winter and I've been plagued with asthma and all sorts of allergies ever since. I hate taking so many medicines but I end up on prednisone if I'm not really careful. I have a love/hate relationship with prednisone - I'm thankful for it when I can't breathe and to be honest I feel really good when I'm taking it, every little ache and pain disappears and my IBS becomes a faint memory. lol But I always gain weight. Lots of weight. :( It slows my metabolism, saps my energy and gives me an awful case of the munchies. I have a hard time tapering off once I'm taking it, so I usually end up on small doses for several months at a time. I've been really blessed this winter though and I'm praying for a great spring/summer too.

Good morning Debbie! :wave:
I hope you can get some hiking in! I'm so anxious for our first hike of the season. We'd end up knee deep in mud if we tried it now though. :lol:
Enjoy your day!

CyndiM
03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
We tried a mini-hike yesterday, just around the reservoir. The ground had a lot of that top frozen layer that cracks when you stop on it and water and mud underneath. Then there was the ice. Think I'll stick with paths for a few more weeks :)

Debbie - Sounds beautiful there. I hope there will be pictures? You've inspired me to pull my bike out and get it to the hop for a spring tune-up. Have to be ready to ride !
The cake - basically just used maybe 1/2 cup homemade pumpkin butter (:o I did not actually measure) instead of oil or other add-ins, lots of spices (cinnamon, cloves, mace, ginger). I sweetened with coconut palm sugar.

Chelby29
03-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Good Morning, Chickies,

Karen, I hope your shoulder feels better soon. Maybe a nice bath with epsom salts?

Cottage, On my 40th birthday, it rained terribly all day. The kids had the best time playing in the mud. I think mud memories are my favorite memories of that day.

Heidi, I bet you aren't the only red-nosed member at church this morning. :)

Cyndi, How considerate of your kitties to let you sleep! :p I'm making pintos today. Yum!

Debbie, Vacation is supposed to be south and sunny! ;) I hope it warms up enough for a bike ride.

Me: Our trip to the flea market is off today because the weather is already bad. Bummer! I do have to make a trip to the grocery store today. And the laundry... It might be a great nap day, too. If we can't have sun, we may as well have a nap. :D

jenne1017
03-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Morning chicks! Karen - hope your shoulder feels better.

DW is mad that it was 70 in Maine yesterday and today it's going to be 48. Haha. She shouldn't have left me - 72 here today. I even slept with the windows open last night!!! Today, I will be writing a paper and finishing with the downstairs cleaning so I can come home all week to a clean house. So it's 2 evils to get done, grrr!

Last night when I was eating my Thai Curry Shrimp (posted the recipe and picture in the recipe section) my neighbor came by, smelled it and forgot what he came by to ask (to use my garbage can - they have an open house today). Yay South Beach!!!

KatehSparrow
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Morning everyone!
Heading back to school today. Spent all of all of last night packing and cleaning. Tomorrow its back to the same old, same old. And it's supposed to rain. :( Oh well.

Enjoy your sunday, everyone!

Chelby29
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Jenn, Did you give your neighbor a 'to-go' box? :)

jenne1017
03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
No Way Chelby! I wanted the leftovers myself! Which I just finished eating :)

tammies00
03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Morning Chicks

I am done two more pounds. I have lost 6 pounds this month. My goal was 5!!!

Yesterday was nice here. I planted some things into their containers. My baby seedlings for strawberries and tomatoes are starting to just sprout!! My husband thinks I am nuts when I get so excited and yell look I have babies!!! I bought two red bell pepper plants and two zucchini plants yesterday. I planted them into containers. I have to do everything in containers because I live on a military base and they do all the yard work which means they spray weed killing stuff and pesticides everywhere!!! They didn't kill my flowers but they warned us not to plant in the yard because of the pesticides they spray.

Hubby cleaned out the front flower bed and told me to get flowers and such and he would help me get them planted next weekend.

I hope you all have a great day.

Today I need to finish a quiz and read one more chapter in my business law class and then house cleaning and laundry.

LOL I live such an excited life!!!

Have a great day

Tammie

Heidi58
03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
No Way Chelby! I wanted the leftovers myself! Which I just finished eating :)
LOL This totally cracked me up Jenn. :D

Tammie, way to go on the weight loss! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot: You're doing awesome!

jenne1017
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
lol Heidi -- for reals, it smelled like a Thai restaurant in here :)

:broc: Congrats Tammie!

WaistingTime
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
You chicks crack me up!

Thanks for the well wishes. Darn shoulder is not doing very well. I did the elliptical today holding my arms at my waist. Will not go to yoga or cycling tomorrow. Now I need to decide at what point I need to see someone.

Off course it would probably help if I stopped typing. I spent much of the day moving my blog, which was indeed as complicated as I dreaded it might be.

Should find time for personals again tomorrow!

BTW - I actually managed to LOSE weight on vacation! How about that:)

Heidi58
03-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Karen, I'll go check out your blog now. :D
Lousy news on the shoulder - but AWESOME news about the scale! :carrot:

Hope you wake up feeling a little bit better. :hug: