The Maintenance Library - Primal Law#1 Eat lots of plants and animals.

srmb60
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Real live, natural foods. Whole foods!

Eye openers? Implementation? Joys? Difficulties?

Nada
03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Live animals? No thanks, I prefer mine dead and (usually) cooked ;)

srmb60
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I haven't eaten any live animals either LOL. But people get squeemish when you say dead animals.

I didn't really have any trouble with this law. Even my 1200 calorie diet was mostly lean proteins and things that grow.

JulieJ08
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
This step is not much of a step when you're already coming from a wholefoods perspective! It's the lull before the storm of law 2, which pulls the rug out from under you ;)

Still, I think it's the law that makes Primal so much more attractive to me than just low carb.

I can't remember if he talks about pastured meats under this principle or the next. But to me, that's the part that gets more difficult.

nelie
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Well I eat lots of plants :)

srmb60
03-19-2010, 06:54 PM
This is another one of the ways that the 80% rule appeals to me. I'm fortunate that I live in an area where I can get local produce and pastured organic meats ... however ... I'm not wealthy. I can do the best I can afford.

And on that sort of note ... I've explored the 100 mile diet too. It and primal can mesh.

Ilene
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I loves my veggies and protein...:hun: I do best when I stick to this way of eating, avoiding processed pastas, rice, cereals etc...

silverbirch
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with Ilene: that's how I do best as well. In fact, processed carbs and I don't get on at all now.

I would disagree slightly with the 'eat lots' part. If The Primals mean plants & animals should form the main part of the diet, OK. If they mean eat large volumes, then no - for me. I do better eating moderately or, as Judith Beck puts it, 'to mild fullness'.

Thanks for this thread (series?), Susan. Interesting.

srmb60
03-20-2010, 08:32 PM
WRT the term "lots of" ...

I used my fitday account for a few days and was surprised to find ... although I thought I was eating lavishly ... my calorie totals were 1600, 1800 ... Not nearly the huge amounts I would have thought.

silverbirch
03-21-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm saying I don't like putting lots of food into my tum. It makes me feel uncomfortable. :)

Interesting calories.

srmb60
03-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Let me see if I can clarify... I'm finding that a reasonable sized portion of primal foods is far more satisfying than I'd thought it would be. I don't have to stuff myself to feeling uncomfortably full in order to ward off hunger for a few hours. Which never actually worked anyway ;)

Other than the big big salad with protein, I don't think Sisson ever does give actual suggested amounts of anything. Of course I don't have the book in my hand right now. Anybody?

JulieJ08
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't own the book either (have scanned it at the bookstore). But with my impression of primal/paleo, I think what he's getting at is that without grains, you are unlikely to have to purposely control portions. You should be off the constant hunger and/or craving roller coaster. I don't think he's suggesting anyone eat to a point that makes them physically uncomfortable. Only that they *can* eat to satisfaction. It's "allowed." :) You aren't supposed to be constantly fighting your hunger.

silverbirch
03-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Goodo. :) Just clarifying "lots".

Add me to the list of people without the book.

srmb60
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
The website is very good. Probably more than enough information to get started.

srmb60
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I tried to explain what I was doing to a coworker (she asked!) I guess it didn't come out quite right. She sat beside me at lunch and peered into my bowl. "But ... that looks good."

But??? It was broccoli, celery, tomatoes, almonds, salmon and salad dressing. I wonder what she heard me say.

Ilene
03-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I tried to explain what I was doing to a coworker (she asked!) I guess it didn't come out quite right. She sat beside me at lunch and peered into my bowl. "But ... that looks good."

But??? It was broccoli, celery, tomatoes, almonds, salmon and salad dressing. I wonder what she heard me say.:lol: It's so difficult for some to understand clean, natural eating ... Oye :faint:

wendyland
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Let me see if I can clarify... I'm finding that a reasonable sized portion of primal foods is far more satisfying than I'd thought it would be. I don't have to stuff myself to feeling uncomfortably full in order to ward off hunger for a few hours. Which never actually worked anyway ;)

Other than the big big salad with protein, I don't think Sisson ever does give actual suggested amounts of anything. Of course I don't have the book in my hand right now. Anybody?

I have the book. He doesn't give suggested amounts. I'm definitely going to follow this discussion. I find that grains and sugar = inflammation with me. I tried to give them up at the beginning of the year, but wasn't very successful. I'm very addicted to sweets. I'm recommitting to following the primal lifestyle after my vacation in a couple weeks.

I wanted to mention that there are a couple of interviews with Mark Sisson done by Jimmy Moore on the Livin La vida low carb show. The podcast can be downloaded.