Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default scale anxiety

Anyone else worry all week long about what the scale will say? I only weigh once a week, because otherwise I would just super glue the dang thing to my foot and just keep swearing at it to show me a different number 24 X 7.

I'm just wondering if it will get better and eventually not be a big deal and just become matter of fact like a regular chore thing I do once a week? It is making me crazy!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #2  
Dream BIG to be small!

S/C/G: (kg)75/74/46

Height: 159cm 5"2

i think we all do!

Like what if it doesn't show a smaller number? Then all that exercising and calories counting and the enduring of hunger pangs for that whole week was completely wasted!

and yeah i had a period of time where i would compulsively weigh myself everyday, changing positions on the scale to see if my weight would change. not advisable. haha it just makes you depressed.

furthermore most of us usually weigh heavier at night etc.

but weighing myself is like an addicition. i so wanna see the results asap after every workout but ive gotta control!!!
unidestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #3  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

S/C/G: 215/192.4/140

Height: 5' 7"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
Anyone else worry all week long about what the scale will say? I only weigh once a week, because otherwise I would just super glue the dang thing to my foot and just keep swearing at it to show me a different number 24 X 7.

I'm just wondering if it will get better and eventually not be a big deal and just become matter of fact like a regular chore thing I do once a week? It is making me crazy!

Barb
I have the same issue, I noticed when I was watching 'Ruby' that she appears to weigh once every 2 weeks. So I have been trying that. Yes I get worried/excited. Sometimes I have to weigh my self more often than I should but I rather like the surprise after two weeks of work.

R.
rebeccamichelle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I have severe scale anxiety. It colors my whole week if it doesn't move, and if it does move, I obsess about how much. Getting on it every Monday is the hardest part of WL for me, but if I don't do it, I know I don't hold myself accountable.

I'm trying not to let the number mean too much to me, but I still get anxiety building up from Friday-Sunday, culminating in a feeling of dread when I get out of bed on Monday morning.

It's funny, because I've been consistently losing this time, but the anxiety hasn't gone away.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

oh yeah...i get that too. this morning i weighed a half pound more than i did yesterday morning and i was like "how did that HAPPEN?!?!"...a HALF POUND...puh-leeze! how about if i just calm down and take a freaking pee???
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #6  

I'm going to throw a hypothesis which I have no idea if it is true, but curious for opinions.

Is "severe scale anxiety" an indicator that one is more focused on good results instead of good behaviors? And if so does that attitude put one at greater risk for "back-sliding" and eventual regain?

I don't know but I thought I'd throw the question out there...
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I have really bad scale anxiety too. I recently decided I'm not going to let myself weigh-in for two months because I get way too obsessed about it. And then after that I'll see if I can go back to once a week. I want to be able to make eating right and exercising a habit independent of my weight. I know logically each pound up or down isn't that important, what matters is that overall I continue on a downward trend. I can't let myself feel like my entire worth as a person is decided by whether or not I lose a pound each week. So hopefully keeping myself from the scale but still focusing on the good habits I know will give me success will help break the sway the scale has over me.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 03-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
I'm going to throw a hypothesis which I have no idea if it is true, but curious for opinions.

Is "severe scale anxiety" an indicator that one is more focused on good results instead of good behaviors? And if so does that attitude put one at greater risk for "back-sliding" and eventual regain?

I don't know but I thought I'd throw the question out there...
honestly...now that you make me think about it. for me i would have to say, "good results"...i'm someone that HAS to have instant gratification. but you are TOTALLY right in that the focus SHOULD be on the behavior. food for thought...i like it!
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm sure it will get better.

Me, I tried once a week but I just like daily more.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I got over my anxiety by weighing daily. Now each day is not as big a deal, as long as I can see an overall downward trend. And I've learned some of my own patterns, such as seeing that I tend to have an increase on Mondays. I figured out that the variable was the increased activity on the weekends when I have more time. So now I don't worry about it - I track it but I know it will head back down starting on Tuesday.

I can't say it makes me happy if the number goes up, but it not longer depresses me. I know that I'm staying on plan and that the scale is not always a direct reflection of that but it will eventually catch up with me.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

For me it changes based on a few things.

If I feel a need to step on the scale, I do. If I feel a need to avoid the scale, I do.

Key for me... is keeping on... no matter what.

I'm not always successful, but I'm getting better.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote