Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default NSV - kid related

So, my kids are young, 4 and 6, and they've never known any 'diet' except that mom always keeps fresh fruits and veggies cut up for them, we always have yogurt, string cheese, whole grain crackers etc. Occasionally, I do buy them something more 'kid-geared' such as spiderman or princess gummie bears or whatever, but its a once a month thing, and I just looked in the cabinets because it was on my mind. They still each have 4 packets, and the boxes come with 8. So, halfway through March, they still have half a box apiece. I think it helps that I've always kept the healthy stuff right at their eye level in the fridge, cleaned, cut ready to roll, all they have to do it grab it.

The NSV came last night. I make a really good grilled shrimp alfredo, sorta. I use whole grain, organic rotini noodles, because the kids eat better if it's in a fun shape, grilled shrimp, and just enough sauce to give it that taste of alfredo, usually, if you look at a jar, I use a 1/4 of the jar, to an entire box of pasta, a bag of frozen broccoli and a big bag of fresh spinach, mix it all up, grind fresh pepper over it and top with a pinch of freshly grated parm. My kids EAT THIS UP. (And I love it, because, hey! it's alfredo) But it's chock full of veggies. So, I was making this and my daughter, the 6 yr old, brings me a bag of grated carrots I use in my smoothies and toss into salads and asked me to put some in the alfredo, I checked with my son, he agrees, and so I toss it in there. Same amount of the -unhealthy- stuff, such as the sauce, but they ate this up. I love that my kids are looking for ways to increase their veggie intake. So, last night at dinner, we had 3 veggies, all at my kids request. To me, thats one of the best NSV's I can ever achieve because it tells me, my kids will more than likely never have to battle this weight issue, or overcoming a dislike of veggies to eat more healthily. They already do, they know no other way of eating.

The other one came last week, but my son, who is 4 loves water, I mean he will drink it over soda, chocolate milk etc. He got one of those fun Batman water bottles and has been carrying it everywhere. I notice when he comes home from school he always heads straight to the faucet and downs 3 glasses of water. At breakfast and lunch at school the options for liquids are 2% milk, whole milk and chocolate milk. No juices or water. So he's asked if he can just bring his own water. I talked with his teacher and at first they were initially against it, because if one kid does it, every kid will want to do it, and while I understand that, I'm sorry, really, but my son wants water, give the kid water. So, now he fills his water bottle and we drop it off in the cafeteria every morning so it's available at lunch and he drinks milk with breakfast. YAY for kids learning wonderful lessons
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

This is amazing! My boyfriend and I talk about how we hope for this sort of thing with our future kids (obviously, we've been together a while). While he's not overweight, he does have some weight to lose. We don't want them to have to deal with weird food issues like we're dealing with now.

Congrats on being such a wonderful mom!

Last edited by Gourmet Bean; 03-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yay! Go kids!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #4  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

That's awesome! Good for you for teaching your kids good habits while they are young!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

That is so wonderful. You are a great mom!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

That is fantastic! Parent's are the best role models a kid can have. My youngest loves the veggies and fruit as well. My oldest, that's another story. But I love it when my little guy(5) will come to me and ask for fresh fruit or frozen raspberries instead of junk. He especially loves the little grape tomatoes he could devour a container in a sitting if I let him. Occasionally I will make homemade cookies or have some brownies sitting around and he will turn those down for some frozen berries and yogurt. We're raising some smart kids! Fortunately my oldest son(8) has bottled water available at school with meals, which he chooses over juice. He loves water as well, when I pack his lunch I always pack a water bottle for him.

We do still have unhealthy choices in our house. My husband has no desire to eat a healthy diet. He drinks his mt. dew and has chips and all kinds of other crap that is so not good for you.(But he's not overweight, go figure) My kids see him eating those things but I try my hardest to curb those habits in their eating. So far I'm doing pretty good. I just wish my 8yo would eat some more veggies. I do get him to eat broccoli and he likes raw carrots but I think he needs a wider variety. Maybe he'll grow out of it.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #7  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

EXCELLENT example!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #8  
Kim

S/C/G: 256/*ticker*/140

What a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing. My DS will NOT eat tacos without spinach in it. He's like... Where's the salad???

Such a great thing you are doing for your kids!
Wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #9  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

wow, that is great
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #10  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

That is awesome! I love it when the rare times we are at a restaurant my son orders water to drink even after being told fruit punch, lemonade, or chocolate milk are tastier (insert eye roll here) by his grandparents.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote