Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Got them to eat their veggies!!

I have read a lot about panko bread crumbs and decided to buy some and try it for chicken. Loved that but wanted another use (got a large box at Costco).

Last night I was planning on steaming broccoli and heard the familiar groans from the kids! So I got an idea.

I used Pam butter flavor and sprayed a small skillet then added 1/2 cup of the panko crumbs to the pan. I then sprinkled 1 tsp of Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning in with the PBC. I then used my ICBINB spray and sprayed the bread crumbs liberally. I turned the burner onto medium and toasted the crumbs until nice and brown. I then transferred them to a paper towel to cool.

When it was time, I filled the individual serving bowls with the broccoli and just before serving I sprinkled some of the bread crumbs over the veggies.

The kids LOVED THEM! They not only ate all their broccoli first, but then asked for more! Can't improve on that!!!

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #2  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

That's a great idea! I am always searching for ways to make veggies more appealing. So far, raw veggies with low-cal dip are a hit in my house, and roasted veggies with olive oil (I slice up carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnip so they resemble multi-coloured french fries), but other than those, frozen peas and corn are the more popular demands.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Nice work, Marie! I love panko on EVERYTHING! Use it in place of regular bread crumbs on casseroles, use it on baked chicken and even in chicken cakes, my version of crab cakes.

When my granddaughters get old enough to come visit by themselves, I'll have to remember your trick!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote