Weight Loss Support - The 21 Day Challenge #8: Making Healthy Habits

Arabella
09-02-2002, 06:03 PM
The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! :cool:) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days :rolleyes: but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! :love: YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

Amarantha2
09-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Ok, Barry! Thanks for the new thread! You gave me a start for a sec! Thought we were being e-stalked! :fr: by a masher :cb: !!!

:LOL:

Ok, pontification from Amarantha: I've been inundating the board this weekend and it's helping me focus! Lots of bad things in life right now, but, say I, why add extra poundage to the general negativity! So I'm doing the No Guilt Challenge, the Five Pound Challenge, and my personal Moon Initiative ... in which I invoke Artemis the Huntress to track down and destroy (nonviolently) things in my life that are keeping me from success.

By my rules (with the averaging and exceptions), I'm on Day 9 of this block, which is one-half of my Moon Initiative (Blue Moon=3 weeks, Green Moon=3 weeks)! The good thing about the averaging and exceptions is I CAN'T LOSE! I'm always a :queen: on the Royal Block!

On another thread, Kaylets mentioned that sometimes she thinks she treats others better than she seems to treat herself ... in the food sense, as in she would go out and buy the best for a meal for her family and friends, but put any ol' think in her own body! Amarantha thinketh that is a point well taken ... and it goes beyond food, methinks! Sometimes we allow others to devalue us ... we :listen: to their negativity about us or about the world in general and we absorb it like so much :hb: ... and it swelleth within and poisoneth our lives and how can we succeed at the weight loss journey or at any other thing with this swelling negativity hampering our thoughts? So Amarantha voweth to be as selective with thoughts from others that she accepts as she hopeth to be with food from the outside world that likes to sneak in on the coattails of Bob the Brazen Blob, who hath many tricks to rob of fitness folk of their good muscle tone and insert in its place vials of rubbery fat, until we haveth no mental or physical strength left but knoweth it not until we need it! Then the fat hampers our movements, weakens our brave hearts and stops us from donning our designer jeans! (P.S. Bob the Blob should not be confused with Bob the Builder, who buildeth up the human spirit and deltoid muscles by applications of honest labor).

Well, Amarantha thought she'd share all that. She hath NOT been drinking, just needs a nap!

:queen: Babette/WN Arabella: Thanks again for the new thread and for letting all know you still hover among us! :wave:

Arabella
09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Good Morning My Darlings!

Much as I love the summer, September always seems to be full of possibilities. Fresh starts, time to take stock and get it together. New books and fresh air, walking to school... Smell those pencil shavings!

I had a wonderful hiking trip to Fundy Park. We stopped at the Hopewell Rocks on the way: Huge, fantastic formations carved out by the highest tides in the world. Archways to walk through and various shapes to walk around, all on the ocean floor - another few hours and they would be under 15-20 feet of water.

At Fundy, we hiked for 3 hours both days, along the coast and through woodlands. The second day, part of the trail was along a river. Just beyond a waterfall, the river was all huge boulders, at fantastic angles, that we had to clamber over as part of the trail. Incredible! The rocks there were all carved out too, like Henry Moore sculptures. And there were a couple of big stone bowls that were full of water that probably would have been warm from the sun. Next time I'll take my swimsuit.

Another part of the trail featured tons of blackberry bushes, all heavy with berries (too bad they were about a week away from being fully ripe!) My SIL and I talked about going back next year - a week later! We could have gotten enough berries to freeze for the winter.

Amarantha I do thank thee for thy most gracious gifts of bananas! :jig: (BTW, is everyone having problems displaying images, or is my computer just futzing up?) I admire thy steadfastness greatly and do intendeth to emulate thee in that respect, henceforth!

I am so proud of you for deleting the garbage sent by your ex-friend. I think I would go one step further and block their e-mails. Who needs to invite poison into their lives!

You are a WONDERFUL person!

Queen Punkin of Friday, I was v. happy to read the news about your free tree trimming -- just the kind of thing I imagine happening, sort of like when I was a kid and had to tidy my room. I would gaze out the window, imagining that fairies would come along and clean my room when I had my eyes averted :rolleyes: Hmmm... I begin to see that this approach is not working for my weight-loss efforts....

Kaylets, BIG CONGATS on meeting your 5-pound challenge!!! Wooooo-hooo!!! And you know what, looking back over the threads I can see how you did it. Perseverence and consistent effort. Hmmm... must try something similar. I loved your epiphany about feeding others better than oneself.

Eydie, WTG on the moon challenge success to date. I don't understand what the deal is on finding it hard to drink all the water. As a rule, I just do it and have no problem, but every so often it seems nearly impossible. For some reason, if I'm not feeling well I find it particularly hard. And that's when I need to drink it the most, of course.

SO. My challenge for today:
< 35 points

>3L water

3 mile walk, 2 circuits (done!)

tai chi class

at least 7 fruits and veggies

Have a wonderful day, Blockettes. Love to all!

jagmom3
09-03-2002, 11:22 AM
plain & simple - just to exercise everyday When I walk on my treadmill is is probably the single most motivating thing that I can do for myself. I really feel like I did something that day. & ya know when I do it early a.m., it's a great positive boost for the day.

deleted2
09-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Hi All! I think that this is lucky day 13 for me so my moon challenge is going well. [knock wood!] I think for my aerobic exercise today I'm going to mow the grass which has miraculously grown overnight from the long-awaited rain.

Congrats, Kaylets, on meeting your goal! And yes, whu can't we consistently extend to ourselves the same courtesy that we give to others? Why is that so easy to forget?

FALL IS COMING! I love it--my favorite time of year. Just now seeing the first signs.... looking forward to walks in crunchy leaves and hot thick soups. [eating the soup, that is, not walking in it!:lol: ]

Amarantha2
09-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Seems Amarantha has gone to the Imperial Spa without telling anyone and she is napping by the pool, so I, Elbertine Pep, her personal trainer, will just post a quick update that Amarantha's weight loss day is going well, indeed, though there was that PB cup on the ride home from the mountains. I told her not to eat it, but she ignoreth me!

:queen: Babette/WN Arabella: Thanks for your kind words and for coming out to play! Sadly, September where I live is among the hottest months, but I have a plan to make this the best September ever! So I move at a :snail: pace to achieve my objectives. P.S. I don't see any way to actually block my "friend's" emails. I can reroute them to the delete file before they reach my inbox, but I find myself wanting to look in there and open them. So far, I haven't. This stress is not good for either of us, so I intend to leave it alone. You are doing great on all fronts, Babette! :cp:

Jagmom3: Congratulations on being consistent with your a.m. exercise. Doing anything at the same time each day is hard for me, but I'm always trying to do at least one a.m. workout, then one later in the day, but it's hard in the morning sometimes. Good for you! :cp:

Eydie: Congratulations to you on your Lucky Day 13! Hope you enjoy mowing the grass. That sounds like fun, actually. All we have in my area is Bermuda grass, aka crabgrass. You don't mow it, you weedeat it. Of course, we have rocks, dust and caliche soil, too! :lol: :cb:

Arabella
09-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Good morning, Blockettes!

I didn't quite meet my challenge yesterday. I spent the day madly trying to get caught up on things that I was behind on because of my frantic end-of-month. All day falling behind, because I took on too much: get the house cleaned up, take my mother out to do her errands, do the shopping, banking, the laundry, finish a project for a client, do my billing, and a couple of rewrites.

I've got to get a little more realistic. I set myself up for failure that way and feeling like I've failed is a bad feeling - esp. when I start the day full of hope and energy! Today I'll try to cut back on the plans. Also not feeling well, so that doesn't help.

My sister called yesterday to ask if I'd decided whether or not I was going to take a painting class with her. I was undecided, not sure if I could spare the $120. or the 3 hours a week (for six weeks). Shortly after she called, I got an editing assignment that I wasn't expecting that would more than pay for the course. I may take that as a sign... You know, I throw out this reason that I can't do something I want to, and the universe sends me the means to do it! Plus, the classes are in the afternoon, which is my less productive time anyway. So... I think I'm going to do it.

Yesterday I skipped tai chi because I was tired and had just gotten home and still had stuff to do. Today, I plan to do yoga and fit in a set of tai chi somewhere. I'm going to walk around the harbour to a gallery later and check out a guy to write about in a column, "The Creative Spark" - about the creative impulse and process.

Amarantha, what email program do you use? Most of them have a blocking utility, which would result in your "friend" getting the messages back as "undeliverable." So s/heshould stop sending them, if s/he's half-way sane? The thing that always strikes me about people who feel the need to do things like that is how unhappy they must be. I think the urge to create more unhappiness in the world speaks of a truly miserable state of mind.

Eydie, I am v. glad that you are not walking through hot, thick soups, even though the resistance would up the calories burned ;)

SO. My challenge for today:

< 35 points

>3L water

3 mile walk, yoga, 1 set tai chi

Let's make this a good one , Blockettes. Love to all!

Punkinseed
09-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Howdy! :wave:

Ooooh, it feels like I haven't been here in a loooong time!

Babette - Hopewell Rocks sounds incredible! There's a tiny cave in San Francisco that's similar to that. It's by the old Sutro's ice rink ruins and if you go at high tide you can't go through it to this beach, but at low tide you can walk through and there's this great beach on the other side.
Congrats too on the project that'll fund your painting class. It does sound like a sign...

Eydie - Wonderful job on your moon challenge! I'm looking forward to those hot soup days too. Matter of fact, I think today I'll start my list of what I want to make and between now and the beginning of October I'll start stocking up for my cook-fest! I love fall!!

I'm issuing my own challenge today... I will be abstaining from chocolate and my weigh in dinner (aka the oink-fest) until at least the first day of my vacation (Oct. 8th). I'm realizing that my forward progress is being hampered by these two things - so they must go. The exception to the chocolate clause (no, not a chocolate Santa) is Pria bars and Slim Fast. Neither of these are trigger foods for me. No more Fast Breaks, Reese's peanut butter cups, and M&M's. The days of eating most of a Domino's pizza, a monster cheeseburger and other greasy ickies are done with... I'm looking forward to being able to fall asleep Monday nights without feeling like I'm going to be sick (why do I do this???).

So, that's all for now.... off to work!

Terri

Arabella
09-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Punkin, so nice to hear from you! You are so wise about the sacrifices you have to make to do this thing. I am trying to get my head around the same concept :p I was just thinking the other day about how sacrifices have changed over the centuries . Oh for the good old days, when one could make a sacrifice that didn't involve giving up anything of one's own. Not that I would want to sacrifice a goat, or anything...maybe a few mosquitoes...some fruit flies....But I would feel guilty, anyway. Oh gosh, I am rambling big time. In any event, it seems that sacrifices now involve giving something up, more's the pity. I shall be on the alert for items in my diet begging to be sacrificed.

What I really popped in to say was -- oh, yeah, Hopewell Rocks is fantastic!!! I suddenly realized that I could show you -- ain't technolgy grand!

http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

Punkinseed
09-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Ooooh Babette! It's beauuuuutiful! Thank you for sending the website - those arches are huge! *sigh* one of these days...

Funny you should comment about my sacrifices - go check out what I just posted on the 5 Pound Challenge thread. I found an article in my Costco Connection this morning (before my "no more chocolate" post) that just reconfirmed exactly what I felt when I decided all this. In a snipet, it's about understanding and accepting tradeoffs. If you want something bad enough there's going to be things you can and can't do or have to reach that goal. Interesting stuff...

ok, back to work!

Terri

Amarantha2
09-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Yo! Drive by post! :queen: Babette, thanks for posting the website where you hiked ... I'm going to go there in a sec! What a great idea for a challenge it would be to have a virtual "hike" around the world or somewhere ... Mars, if we'd like! We could ante "miles" we earn by either performing a certain exercise or MAKING A SACRIFICE (no maidens or goats) or ... and race each other or something ... anyway, it's a thought in case we run out of challenges!!! :shrug: :lol:

Amarantha runneth late, to do list won't get done but her main challenge is to save those slimfast calories for before the late meeting she covereth, then have no food at least until midnight, which she counteth as tomorrow!

Punkinseed :queen: o' Friday: I saw some of what you posted on 5-pound thread before computer crashed and I had to run away. Will go back and see rest tonight. Congrats on your challenges; I think you are right, and Babette also, there is no way to lose weight without sacrificing something (e.g., calories and/or time to exercise). I think sometimes Amarantha thinketh a good fairy will come along and wave a magic wand and she can lose the pounds she desires without cutting back on food (e.g., dieting) or exercising. I think this is a common misconception in the media and among some people ... that there is a magic formula, that it is rocket science, that we just gained the weight though we do not overeat and we exercise faithfully and some deux ex machina will float along sometime and right this injustice. Ain't gonna happen! :jig: :cb: :listen:

Yipes! :fr: It's late and I need a nap. This board goes on and on until 2 a.m. sometimes and then I have a long drive home.

Punkinseed
09-04-2002, 05:39 PM
:yikes: AAAAAAAAAACK!!!! :yikes:

Do you all remember my "phone friend" that I've been having the flirtation with???? I just hung up with him - he told me he was cranky from not eating and some "other stuff" and said he'd email me. I just got his email saying his divorce was final and that he just felt tired and worn out. For some reason this is intensely personal to me... and I responded like-wise - very personal - and it feels weird to be crossing this little client-contractor relationship line (we've danced all up and down said line though over the last few months or so).

I haven't had this feeling in my stomach in YEARS - it's so unfortunate that he's literally 850'ish miles away... Even my Mom, who I work with, says she thinks he calls just to talk (she doesn't know about the phone calls I get from him just asking how my day is going).

I just had to share before I freakin' explode.

Crap, I feel like I'm 16 again...

Terri :hyper:

Amarantha2
09-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Good for you, :queen: Punkin O' Friday! Be 16, explode! :hat:

Kaylets
09-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Hello all!!

Q Babette- thanks for the link, so gorgeous!! And to think how many times I passed up opprotunities to see wonderful things because "sounds like a lot of walking" or some other lame excuse.
and yes, yes, yes, we set the bar way too high for ourselves. I agree. Either we have no concept of time or think we can do more than 3 people put together.

Q Punkinseed-- How exciting!! Do you think he's seeing anyone closer to home? we need to know ALL... How long was he seperated-- who ended it--- and what does he do for a living?? was this the lonesome millionaire?? Is he a songwriter ?? (Sexy tractor??)

Empress A- Sounds like the Board are boring. Good luck - I'm afraid I'd be 'creatively' writing just to stay awake.

Queen Eydie-- Yes, you are so right about how extending courtesy, even compassion to ourselves. But my thought last weekend was to the physical aspect. I know to stop putting gas in my car that makes the engine knock or stutter--- I know that I have to keep the gutters clear or water gets under the eaves and then other problems develop.
But why did it take me so long to realize that I need to take the same care of my body. From food, to execercise, to rest, to posture--
And even better-- while doing all of this, why do we believe the only "right" way to do all of this is in a way that's almost like a punishment. I disagree. We like to say, we have made a lifestyle change, that we are on a journey. My guess is that most of us would choose the most enjoyable way to travel. I know where I'd like to go, what time of day, what types of restaurants, size room, etc,etc.

I havent thought all of this thru ( as you can tell) but its exactly as Babette described, an ephiphany. A lightbulb has turned on.

9/11/2002 is here in just 7 days. I still can't believe what happened a year ago.

take care all

Arabella
09-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes!

I did pretty well until dinner last night and then I just picked at dinner while "tidying up" and ended up stuffed. Then DH suggested a stroll around the harbour and I felt like I had a big rock in my tummy. Maybe next time i'll know better?

Kaylets, I love the car metaphor! I remember someone coming up with the idea that eating more than you need is like filling the gas tank and then when that's full just keeping on putting gas in. It's actually kind of like putting the nozzle in the window or the trunk or something, huh.

Your Punkinness, ENJOY! I still remember that frantic, dizzy time with DH, about 13 years ago. Not sure I would go back to it, but it sounds like this guy is a sweetie and you've got a nice start to something potentially goooood!

Amarantha, you are the most divinely creative Emperess ever! Love your idea for the miles/virtual hike/etc. Do you write creatively as well as the pay-the-bills stuff? I think the world needs access to your vision!

My new challenge is back to the basics, which I know eventually pays off:
>3L water
exercise pretty much every day
eat only when hungry and only at the table when alone

Let's make this a great one, Blockettes! Love to all!

Amarantha2
09-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Yo! :queen: Babette, I'm being you today and trying to clean house, pay bills and get my head straight so I can get the real work (stuff that pays bills, aka writing) done this weekend. So that's my mental challenge for today!!! Re email, I just don't see an option to block and send back ... I'm going to call tech help today! Thanks, Babette, (P.S., yes I do sort of prefer to write fiction ... two unpublishable novels, etc., actually, I hate writing, though!!!) Good for you for walking even with the rock in stomach!!!

:queen: Kaylets: I think you are right ... why is the popular idea to consider "diet" (which just means a food plan not an eating disorder ... I've had eating disorders and they weren't about "diet") ... as a penalty for something ... why is it NOT being kind to ourselves to achieve and maintain a healthy weight (not by obsession or starving or throwing up, which the media ... of which I am one ... loves to equate it with) ... why is healthy, consistent exercise equated so often in the public mind with an obsession rather than a means of fun and self-gratification? Why ask why? :jig: I don't know ... I'm rambling ... but I know if you never drive a car but just keep putting gas in, it'll overflow or rust or blow up or something? Why do we (the public) never discuss people who lose weight by healthy eating and exercise and who keep it off by more of the same? Look at the book that came out about the National Registry of Weight Loss study ... how long was it discussed in the media and how often did I hear the naysayers (e.g. the ones who worry that us CRE's ... chronic restrained eaters ... are crazed, obsessed bullemics and anorexics) bash it with their usual noise about how it just wasn't realistic to try to lose weight ... it was too hard ... sigh ... I really am ranting ... sorry ... have a great day driving your car ... :lol:

In order to feel justified about the nine Leslie tapes I bought, I'm pledging to do at least one Leslie tape (not necessarily the new ones) each day until further notice. Started yesterday! I'm also pledging myself to continue on the 5-day challenge thread, posting there forever if I have to until I lose the five pounds (and then going for another) ... and posting here also ...

Didn't mean to ramble ... sheesh ... the mind will not focus ... focus ... focus. But everyone, Amarantha wisheth thee a good day!!!

:cb:

Punkinseed
09-05-2002, 12:05 PM
OoooOoooh, look at :queen: Punkin, sportin' her new size Medium/Tall leggings... ooooh, aaaahhh, isn't it purdy how in her new pants her a$$ isn't hanging down to her knees??? Very niiiiice... once she can thin down the calves she inherited from her Mom she can also fit into those new size 16 jeans she just bought that she can get all the way on, but can't feel her calves after 10 minutes... ooooh, ahhhh....
I may have ate like a :moo: last night, but I can get into smaller clothes. I'm hangin' on to that and getting back in gear today! :cb:

Kaylets - Ooooh, what can I tell ya... I know he worked for a company that sports a giant mouse as it's trademark for I believe almost 13 years (w/ locations in Florida and California) who is also one of our clients and now he works for the company we contract to. I have no idea about who filed for divorce or why or how long they were separated - it was just a couple weeks ago that he really started giving me information about all of that. From what I know it wasn't long because I remember him telling me he'd moved and now just a few months later he's officially divorced. I don't think he's seeing anyone else, I'd think it was too soon - he only mentions going out with a group of friends. I doubt anything will come of any of this, just havin' fun... I do have a business trip planned for next spring to go down there.
Yes, I'm scared outta my mind.

Amarantha - I like the analogy of the car too.... it frustrates me to no end to hear those people say it can't be done. It's attitudes like that that cause people to sit back and say "why bother, it can't be done - a scientist said so". That's BS, why *don't* they show more success stories??? It's almost like they don't WANT anyone to succeed! I believe it was the AMA that last year finally recognized obesity as an actual DISEASE - that we're not just a bunch of lazy fat slobs, there's something physiologically different about those of us that put on this kind of weight - it's a disease, that kills more than anyone realizes and it's only getting worse. Ok, I'll end my tirade now...

Same here Kaylets, I can't believe next Wednesday is the anniversary. I pray nothing happens and that we all make it through the day and handle the emotions that are going to come with it. I plan to put out my American flag and say a prayer for those families who lost loved ones.
They're callling it Patriots Day now and I wonder if it's going to end up being a new holiday. It would be kind of weird if they did - that we all witnessed it from the moment it happened.

Anyway, have a good day everyone and don't work too hard!

Terri

Amarantha2
09-05-2002, 06:00 PM
Hooray for :queen: Punkin O' Friday! It's not Friday but she's in NEW SMALLER SIZE LEGGINGS! Good for you, Punkin, you'll be in the jeans in no time! :cb: :cp: :dance:

I was glad to see obesity recognized as a disease, too. I guess I wasn't trying to say that eating disorders do not exist (I'm living proof they do), merely that obesity is also a serious health concern that needs to be addressed in a serious but proactive way (not by weird diet books or starving or over exercising or obsessing over every bite ... well, I do, but I like it)! It DOES take focus and commitment to reduce to and maintain a healthy weight, but it can be done. It should also be said that not everyone needs to be Twiggy. People come in all sizes and shapes and until each and every one of us recognizes and loves ourselves for the beauty of our own individual bodies, we will not succeed in changing.

Yipes, I'll stop!:soap:

Re: Wednesday ... I think Patriots' Day would be a good name and there should be a holiday, but maybe not for awhile. Hmmm. I keep writing a sentence to let you guys know what my wish is for that day and I find it is too harsh to post here!

Onward and downward everyone! I'm going to take a nap (so I don't work too hard).

Punkinseed
09-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Ooooo, I'm curious... your wish is too harsh to post here?? I betcha' if you told a few people would probably agree that that is their wish too...

I was in the newspaper this morning that Pres. Bush has indeed declared Sept. 11th this year and in the years to come as "Patriots Day". All flags at federal and state buildings are to be flown at half staff and that if possible to spend a moment in silence at 5:46am (pacific time) in rememberance.

Amarantha - I also constantly remind myself that not all people are made to be "Twiggy's" too. I've been in a bad habit of not liking myself now, and telling myself I'll do/be/feel/act like (insert whatever here) when I loose weight and forget that while I'm waiting to get to that "perfect place", life is passing me by. So yes, accept yourself now, in your present form and work towards health....
Whew, talk about a :soap:!

I'm going home now, big hugs, see ya all tomarrow!

Terri

Kaylets
09-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes, exactly, " and meanwhile life is passing by" --

We've all heard the story about the executive on his death bed--
and how his last words would never be " I wished I spent more time at the office" ......

The 5lb thread shows the "life strategies" - there was some discussion about how to meet a goal you have to "give up " something- I agree-- but when I really look at what I'm giving up I don't mind-- I'm giving up making excuses, I'm giving up indecision, I'm giving up not being in control, I'm giving up the guilt of all of the above.

Empress A- I have noticed the same thing - marketing is amazing-
I could understand if it was European Chocolate for instance, but
how could so many things be such a "Treat" or "Reward" . Can you imagine if someone gave you one of those little -------- as a gift? Or if your boss said, "good job, here's a ---------"

But, I don't know if its sublimminal or hynotism- Just something that has a similiar packaging can put my hand into Reflex mode.

And I wouldnt be a bit suprised to find out that the food industry is behind "slim= sick" propaganda. And on the other side, there is just as much snake oil be sold in the "diet aids" aisle. Just last week, a good friend confided that she felt she was "taken" by the "Vinegar Diet Capsule" people because she took all the pills and didnt lose anything.

Talk about soapbox !! I'm going to stop because I'm feel like I'm just getting warmed up.....

Amarantha2
09-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Hmmm. Well, yes. I agree the "diet" industry is full of quackery ... and should be stopped from making ridiculous claims about their products. But at a certain basic level, in my opinion, if people buy the snake oil, that is their choice and I almost don't feel that is being taken. I realize there's a whole bunch of conflicting information floating around and people are confused. I guess part of me doesn't understand why what seems so obvious in weight loss (take in less calories ... or points or food exchanges or whatever ... than you put out to lose weight, do the opposite to gain) seems so elusive. Granted it's hard to do because eating and weight issues are very complex and get all mixed up in our psyches with a bunch of other stuff. Granted there's the high pro way or the high carb way or the lowfat way or the high fiber way or ... the list to choose from goes on and some works and some is gobbleydegook (sp?) :jig: ... and varying issues of metabolism, burn rate, muscle ratio, age, certain medical conditions, all play a role ... but the bottom line seems to be "don't overeat, get off the couch." I can't see how anyone can think vinegar pills would help but maybe for some it could have a placebo effect and would likely be healthier anyway than an ephedra supplement.

Sorry, if the above sounds arrogant or judgemental. I'm just cranky. Off the :soap: now totally! Going to go do my Leslie for the day. I've already exercised 70 minutes so this is gravy.

Arabella
09-06-2002, 08:36 AM
Good Morning, best and brightest of Blockettes!

I actually made it through yesterday and am on to day 2 today. For whatever reason, the point limit seems to be counter-productive for me. If I don't set it, but eat according to hunger, I am over some days and under others, but I gradually lose weight. So that's where I am with this challenge. I lost 7 pounds on the first challenge (although it took me a while to get through it :rolleyes: ) Still, better than losing nothing, which is where I've been since. Onward and Downward!

More car analogies: eating for reasons other than hunger is like putting gas in the tank to fix a broken windsheild - doesn't work, the problem remains. And I have excess gas, expressed as FAT :dance:

Amarantha, that really says it: "Get off the couch, and don't overeat!" There was an obesity researcher here recently that said the same thing. Which we should have known all along. I remember coming to the realization years ago when I wasn't overweight and one of my sisters, who'd just been dumped by her boyfriend said she didn't want to do anything but eat and was gaining weight. I told her to get a new obsession - exercise, art, whatever, but just focus on positive actions rather than trying to change negative behaviours, because the negative behaviours were trying to fill empty places in her life. If she filled those, the desire to overeat should go away. And it worked great for her, she's never had a weight problem since. And here I am trying to dig my way out of my fat suit again :rolleyes: TODAY I am going to try to sign up for that painting class, and if I can't I'll see about getting a creative writing group together.

Kaylets, your list of things that you're giving up was FANTASTIC. I'm copying it out to keep on hand. So true!Let's try to get rid of all this excess baggage, because it surely can weigh a body down, both physically and metaphorically. Thanks!

:queen: Punkin, V. Happy Friday to you! I sure do admire the non-droopy butt in your new medium/tall leggings. WTG! I know we need to accept ourselves "as is" but these little things (like fitting into size 16s - that's the size I recently moved to too :smug: ) sure make it easier, don't they. :cp:

[b]Let's get out there and make this a fabulous day, Blockettes! Love to all!

Amarantha2
09-06-2002, 10:46 AM
[COLOR=deeppink]Good-morning, BLOCKETTES! (R. Williams voice) :wave:

I think I'm on Day 13 of this block, the BLUE one of two in my MOON initiative!!! Ended eating at 1790, exercise a whopping 130 minutes, did the Leslie tape in my Leslie-A-Day Challenge (to justify the cost of the nine new tapes I just bought, which I love). Still doing pole walking, weights, Pilates, etc., etc., also ... mixing exercise types works best for me.

Babette: Another car analogy might be that putting junky gas of undetermined origin in your Mercedes-Benz wouldn't be a good idea ... you'd always put in the best gas and change the oil every three months and make sure there was the correct amount of water and antifreeze in there ... so why would we treat our bodies differently, because unlike a MB, we can't buy another one! :jig:

I like that advice your friend got: Just get another obsession. I think I'm going to sign up for yoga classes and/or Spanish next week.

ONWARD AND DOWNWARD, ROYAL BLOCKETTES!!! :queen: Oops, sorry, was I shouting?! :cb:

Punkinseed
09-06-2002, 11:44 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday!!!!

:cb: My 49'ers won last night :cb: (sorry New York... hehehehe)

I'm actually going to start doing some Christmas shopping tonight. Michaels is having a sale on a bunch of stuff so I figure, why not. I'll get a jump on it.

Nothing else much happening... this weekend if it doesn't rain I need to stain/seal my deck for winter and finish putting the panels up on my carport. It's already dipping into the 30's here at night so it's time to do my winterizing. Last winter I put off turning on the heater in my well pump house and froze my pipes - of course I didn't know this had happened until I had a headful of shampoo at 5:30am and my water suddenly stopped flowing... :dz: That's not happenin' this year!

Since we've been talking about the sciences and marketing of weight loss - have you seen the study released in the news yesterday? They're saying eating less fat and doing more exercise will help you loose weight. DAMN! Why didn't I think of that????? :rolleyes:

Off to make my Michael's list....

Terri

Oh! I just noticed I just made my 500th post! :hat:

Kaylets
09-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Hello all!!

Punkinseed!! 30' at night - oh boy!! Yes, I saw that same "announcement" too- It was so close to the "scientific Study" that I ranted on and on about last time that I didnt mention it. I'm starting to think that if its a slow news day some of the "not news" gets rerun. But maybe I'm expecting logic where I shouldn't. But I am sure, they think we don't "get it". Lots of "theys" too- All the marketing (including the Biggest marketers, the politicians) that's based on " the sheep will follow".
I did hope that the internet would blow the curtain off that Wizard but I think I'm wrong.

and yes, Babette and Empress A- ( if the car analogies aren't too 'old' yet) -- Don't most of us have a car maintenance plan?
Oil change at so many miles, seasonal fluid checks, tire maintenance-- and don't most of us have some kind of a spare tire and jack in case the unexpected happens? When we lived in CT, you always kept a blanket, flashlight, sand, etc in the trunk for snow situations. and then, when you can't figure out the car emergency, there's the car support system -- the Auto Club. ( and I won't even mention how my folks keep a notebook in the ashtray to record the mileage everytime the buy gas so they can track how many mpg ).

And we could find similiar comparisons for our houses too. We make plans to make replaceable items last as long as they can, to get our full value-- Yes, Empress A, you are so right, we take better care of everything but the one thing we can't replace.

Oh, I know, there is always the logic of " life is short , I'm going to enjoy it" - Absolutely- that's my plan too- Enjoy not wheezing going up 4 steps, Enjoy not being self concious because youre waist size is bigger than your bust size, Enjoy feeling years younger -- (Its not the years slowing us down, its the excess weight)--

I plan on enjoying the journey- Wasted too much of it already--
When has become NOW!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

Amarantha2
09-06-2002, 11:06 PM
You are right, Kaylets! (car/survivalist analogy coming up, nope it's not getting old to me, anyway) In rural Arizona, one makes sure to carry extra water when going on a car trip, plus a cell phone (which won't usually work in mountains) and one (hopefully) tells people where one is going so if the car breaks down someone might come and look for you before you die of heat exposure. And if one DID have to get out of the car and start hiking down the mountain or got lost in the desert, it'd be best to be at a healthy weight and have a reserve of fitness to draw on.

And you are right about it not being about age ... fitness can be improved at any age. I've seen studies about how 90-year-old people enjoy an increased quality of life after being put on a resistance exercise program.

I plan on enjoying the journey, too, however short or long it is! :hat:

If only I did not crave :hb: right now!!! Urgh!

Still have eons of work to do this weekend. Must get off internet! :jig:[/COLOR]

deleted2
09-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Lookin' good there, Punkin! Work it, girl!!!! ;) And by all means, enjoy yourself---who knows what can happen.....

And just my 2 cents---it really is heartbreaking to see some of the stuff that's on the market to help people lose weight. I've even been tempted myself. It's always a revelation to me to realize that when I feel confident and deserving of life's blessings I have no problem staying on program--does that make sense? I think it's all very complicated and there's no one-size-fits-all program for everyone. I've been at this for almost 5 years and I said when I started that it didn't matter how long it took, I was in for life! And I'm always fine-tuning it.

I'Ve GOT TO TELL YOU--this is important! There's a magazine out there called "More". In the September issue on sale now there's an article about the lovely Jamie Lee Curtis and some very telling photos. God bless her, she reveals herself as she really is without the makeup and designer clothes [and she's perfectly lovely!] and another photo where she's all glammed up. The point is it's all a fraud and it took 13 people 3 hours to get her looking so glamorous! So please, check it out--it's a real eye-opener! Let me know what you think.

:) Gotta walk while it's still cool! Love to everybody!

Kaylets
09-07-2002, 02:34 PM
just checking in--

Q Eydie, it makes perfect sense to me-- Its one of the reasons I gained in the first place--( and then said "When did that happen?)

And just like a little kid who thinks nobody can see hm when he covers his eyes-- what I didnt think about didnt add to the "not worthy" mentality. Harder to ignore the tight clothes, tight seats, etc.

but, all that is behind me ( I know what you're thinking!)

:o

Yes, I think I understand how there are so many choices; that if you think the "experts" know more than the rest of us, its easy to not question the "Lose 10lbs in 3 days" diet. I remember one day at work years ago, a young lady called the same diet people.
This young lady was very upset with them because they would only sell a 30 day supply- She said, if it only takes 3 days, what do I need a 30 day supply for?? Somehow, they talked her into it, she wound up buying it.

Or sometimes I wonder, do these scams do well because people assume the sellers are honest? I know I have been caught off guard with how many predators are out there. And right on my block too--

anyway!!!!!!!!!!

Yardsaling went well-- found some Pfaltzgraff and some jazz CD's - Dave Coz and Kiko Matsui (sp?) -- think I'll plug in the headset while I do some laundry.

Amarantha2
09-07-2002, 03:29 PM
:queen: Eydie: It makes sense to me, too. When I feel confident and demon-free and at peace, I easily stay OP and make good progress. It's much harder each year, actually, to keep that healthy balance of mental, physical and hope for the future, but I do think it's a mindset that has to happen before my weight problems (or any other) can be managed. But I don't care, either, how long it takes, because I'm a lifer, too! :hb:

:queen: Kaylets: I like that one about wondering why, if it only takes three days to lose 10 pounds, do we need a 30-day supply! :jig: :lol: I do think it's easy to assume most sellers are honest. I'm a reporter and even after all these years, I still want to trust people, though they all lie like rugs! (Present company excepted, sorry, do not mean any offense to any honest people in the world ... but even honest people lie, if only to themselves).

My program is going well today and I'm trying for UNDER 1699 calories but don't really care all that much if it's good healthy food. No junk so far and a 60-minute hike. Elbertine Pep hath gone walkabout and Amarantha posted about her trip on the 5-pound thread. She inspireth Amarantha to NEVER, NEVER give up on this journey (or any journey). All Royal Blockettes and Power o' Five members are :strong: and can weather any revisions in fortune or fate that cometh their way and succeed eventually in the journey, however long or short.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! YES, WE CAN! :cb: :cp: :hat:

deleted2
09-08-2002, 10:12 AM
I've got to share this---it happened a while back. I was talking to an aquaintance and she was on a diet. She showed me the plan and it as one of those 'lose 10 pounds in 3 days' things. The food was pretty grim. One of the meals was one plain hotdog with a blop of cottage cheese---ick. I asked her if it really worked and she said "Yes, I've done it lots of times!" She couldn't understand why I giggled at that.
You can't make this stuff up! :lol:

Amarantha2
09-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Hello, Royal Blockettes!!! :wave: Her Imperial Majesty, the Amazing Empress Amarantha o' Walking Poles, hath made it (kind of) to her 15th day of this 21-Day Challenge, the Blue Moon part of her total 42-day Moon Initiative!!! She hath explaneth all this on the 5-Pound Thread, e.g., her average weekly calories are still not where she pledged them to be but BECAUSE OF NO-GUILT EXPEMPTIONS (per concept developed by :queen: Kaylets), she's calling it good and she's still on the Block!!! No weight lost but maintained this week, still in the running for the 5-Pound Challenge. Exercised away 2000 calories for the week and hope to match that this week!! SHE IS MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER TO LOSE THE FIVE POUNDS!!! SHE WILL CONTINUE POSTING UP A STORM AND IN CAPITAL LETTERS, YET, UNTIL THE POUNDS ARE LOST AND/OR THE :moo:'s COME HOME!!! Her clothes are very loose and her body feeleth leaner. Today she walked for 60 minutes on the Shore o' Determination, where Elbertine Pep resteth on her travels! Her Leslie-A-Day Challenge continueth unabated, as she is determined to justify the expense from the Imperial Treasury for nine new Leslie's (plus vitamins she didn't ask them for that she will not taketh because they contain ephedra!!!

Ok, just ONE more little evil dietary marketing story, if no one objecteth: Today Amarantha hath to work and craveth sugar again and it being Sunday, she thinketh, "Ah-hah! Doughnut! :doh: Then she thinketh how it is hard to accurately judge exact calories of store made doughnuts and how she would wanteth two and could be 100s of calories off the mark. So she decideth to buy a box (wait for it) o' Pop Tart Stix (chocolate-caramel) on the theory that though they be unhealthy (IMO), they are quantifiable because the calories are on the side o' the box and also that Amarantha really doesn't care whether she eatheth Pop Tarts or not, as they are not a trigger food to her, whereas :donut:s are. So she buyeth the PT and a bottle o' fat free milk and sits in car and reads the PT package. As anticipated, of course, there is hydrogenated oil high on the list of ingredients, meaning there is a lot of this stuff, which containeth the bad ol' transfat acids that one supposedly should never eat. Otherwise, the PT Stixs (three to a pop tart) are slightly better than a candy bar, as they have some vitamins, etc., and each stick is less calories than a candy bar of approx. the same size. They have a lot of carbohydrates, of which more than half is SUGAR!!! I like sugar, so that's ok, I'm just pointing it out.

BUT, I digress and will get to the marketing point. On the package is the icon of the USDA Food Pyramid and a nice little blurb about how this is the way to eat healthily. The pyramid looks the way it always does, but to Amarantha's eye those two little pictures in one corner of the bottom of the pyramid (the carbohydrate group that is supposed to be breads, grains, etc., e.g., and should mostly be COMPLEX carbs) look suspiciously like Pop Tarts. Ok, they could be crackers (big flat crackers). They are the COLOR of crackers. They could be a healthy lowfat flatbread. They just look like Pop Tarts. Maybe it's just me? :shrug: Could it be that Pop Tarts are what the U.S. government wants us to eat more of? Maybe Pop Tarts should replace fruits and vegetables, which are higher up the pyramid, meaning we should eat less of them. Maybe Pop Tarts' 19 grams of sugar doesn't count as that stuff at the top of the pyramid that it says we should eat the least of?

Anyway, I ate four of the sticks, so that's my treat for today. Threw away the box. They taste like cardboard anyway!

:queen: Eydie: Hmmm, a hot dog and cottage cheese ... sounds better than Pop Tarts actually! :lol:

Bye, all!!! Stay :strong:!

Arabella
09-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Happy Sunday, Blockettes! :cool:

I've made it to Day 4, going pretty well. Yesterday I walked 3 miles :dancer: did 2 circuits :strong: and went to tai chi class (hmmm... no tai chi smiley :( ) Then came home and spent the rest of the day cleaning house and doing laundry - still tired today, but went for a 5 mile walk and did yoga anyway. :shrug:

Think I'm going to sign up for TOPS tomorrow evening. I know that having that official weigh-in once a week can be very motivating for me.

I'm going to go put my feet up -- tomorrow I hope to have the energy to post again!

Love to all!

Kaylets
09-08-2002, 04:36 PM
I was smiling at Eydie's post but couldn't laugh out loud because I too have been guilty of doing the same thing over and over again and each time expecting different results.

Isnt that Susan Powter's credo? You know who I mean, the STOP THE INSANITY lady!!

If only we knew then what we know now-
and if only I knew now what I'll know later!!

Sounds like everyone gets a round of applause for activity done- I only rode the bike 10 minutes and walked thru a store we had never been in. We were pricing Breadmachines- Anyone have one? to make Wheat bread? Any thoughts??

Yes, its true Empress A-- the poptart people and the govt are developing a special forumula in Area 54 -- and as you pointed out, because the poptarts are really made from cardboard, the fiber content makes them a VEGETABLE---

sorry, I just got silly- really have nothing against them and the above was all said in jest and the management will NOT take responsibility for the content. Not sure why we were told this everytime we saw commercials for the aforementioned product but I do have my suspicions it was Parental Anti- marketing. We were always told " that's what poor people eat" .

Congrats Empress A on throwing away the box-- Wasnt that a liberating experience!! ?!!

anyway, there is water to be drunk and floors to be washed!

Amarantha2
09-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Yes, Kaylets! Throwing away the box was fun! But since they really taste quite awful (in my opinion, if someone here works for the Pop Tart folks, please forgive me and do not sue me), it wasn't much of a sacrifice. What your parents said about this product relates to another problem ... many people think it's cheaper to eat unhealthy junk food than just to buy basic food like fruit, vegetables, brown rice, lean meat, even potatoes if you eat some protein with them and don't fry 'em or load 'em up with fat. I used to be like that and that's why my body thinks I can get more mileage from some sugary thing than from a healthy meal.

Re bread machines, I used to have one. It was nice but impractical for one person and lots more trouble than it was worth. But for a family, it might be nice. I'd only say buy the most expensive one you can find and use from scratch recipes. The boxed stuff tastes (IMO, again) like cardboard.

Babette: You are doing great! Your exercise rounds are really comprehensive and I bet you feel great! Joining TOPS sounds like a good decision! Rest up so you can post tomorrow!!! :cb: P.S. I think this could be a tai chi smiley :jig:!

Arabella
09-08-2002, 07:53 PM
That little guy is definitely doing
donyus!!

At warp speed, perhaps, but donyus anyway....Actually, I think :cb: is doing toryus, too. So: yesterday I walked 3 miles :dancer: did 2 circuits :strong: and went to tai chi class :jig: :cb:

Eydie, I was just looking at the Jamie Leigh spread (oh, sorry, no pun intended, but then why am I leaving it in? Maybe because DH thinks she's hot :s: ) I do admire her for insisting on putting herself out there like that. And hey! I'm pretty sure that I would look at least 100% better if I spent 3 hours getting ready, even without a SWAT team of stylists. I have one sister who rarely appears in public looking anything other than her very best. She used to get up an hour before her husband did every day to put on her makeup and do her hair, so he wouldn't see her au naturel.

Kaylets, isn't it amazing the way we do that - suddenly realize that we've somehow put on weight, as if we were in a zombie state and were completely unaware of what was happening. I know that when I start to pay attention, suddenly it all begins to make sense: underwear that doesn't fit, sweaters suddenly not covering my butt anymore, wobbly lawn chairs, and on and on...

These things work on so many levels, too. For me, to some extent, gaining weight is something that insulates me from life. But more than anything else, I think that eating substitutes for really living life. Substitutes for fun, spirituality, sexuality. But it just numbs me rather than actually enriching my life.

I'm really going to make an effort to do all those things that I know I should do, instead of putting them off. I DID actually sign up for that painting class I was talking about, after 2 days of not getting around to it. It's a start...

Well, I did a set of tai chi :jig: and perked up for a bit, but now I'm fading again.

I'm going to tuck myself into bed with my novel (I was already tucked in with DH for a little conubial nap this aft ;) so there's one thing not sublimated today :smug: )

Sweet dreams, All! :yawn:

Amarantha2
09-09-2002, 12:18 AM
I know I definetely was in denial about weight for a long time ... to the tune of 247 pounds and probably more than that. Like Guinever's roommate (per the 5-pound thread), I only counted fat grams bought into the calories don't count and throw away the scale thing. It was easy not to notice that wasn't working.

Definetely, too, weight issues serve as insulation from life for me ... when I am heavier, it is easier just not to do or think or be ... and filling the void with tons of dulce de leche milk, doughnuts, candy bars and once in awhile something healthy to eat.

Hmmm. Tai chi at warp speed! :jig: :cb: Babette, you could get rich marketing that as the newest mind/body/aerobic workout. Tapes, CDs, studio classes.

Sounds like fun! :jig:

Arabella
09-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes! :) I am very happy to report that I've made it to day 5 after an awful lot of day 1s. :rolleyes: I think my points have probably been over 35 most days, but since I'm not counting it really doesn't matter. And I KNOW that just changing the behavior works for me - better slow loss than none at all, right?

Amarantha, it occurs to me that I am even now struggling with denial. I mean, I see my mom being more than 100 pounds overweight and not dealing with it and I think she's in denial. At the same time I still often "forget" that I want to lose weight, and don't realize that I'm significantly overweight until I see a photo or something. I'm doing the same thing that she is, maintaining a particular degree of overweight. :( :?: Time to let that GO! I believe it was the prophet Yoda who said

"Do not try - DO!" I have been "trying" forever. Time to do. :dancer:

I think I've got to really fully realize this before I'm going to be able to change it, so I intend to make a brave effort. Like Kaylets said, "give up" making excuses, indecision, not being in control, and the guilt associated with all that.

My goals, for every day, are to eat only when I'm hungry, only at the table when alone, to try to eat very healthily, get exercise every day, drink the water, and get the fruits and veggies in. I know that I also need to plan some fun & spiritual components into each day if I really want to succeed.

Here's to SUCCESS!!! :hat: :cb: Let's make this a great day, Blockettes. Love to All!

Amarantha2
09-09-2002, 11:38 AM
:queen: Babette/WN Arabella!!! GO FOR IT!!! You're making great strides on your journey and it WILL pay off! :jig: :cb: Yoda knew whereof he spoke! :)

Punkinseed
09-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Good mornin' everyone! :wave:

Can you believe I've gone 5 days without chocolate and binging?!?!?!?!? A-MAZE-ing... :twirly:
Thursday of last week I reported that in a "shock value" weigh in that I was up 4 pounds... well, I knew that weight wasn't a true one, but I'm happy to report that I did loose the 1 pound that I truely DID gain last week. So, I'm back to where I was with my sights set on just 1.5 pounds this week to make into uncharted territory...

I have to agree with you guys about age - there was just an article in the paper last week about a 78 year old man who climbed Mt. Rainer in Washington on his birthday! Young people die on that mountain because they can't make it and here's this old dude who, with 2 guides, summits in 2 days! :cb: I hope to be that spry!

Eydie - LOL! I would've laughed at the "I've done it before" diet joke too! As for the hot dog and cottage cheese - if that's all I was allowed to eat I'd be thin as a rail! I worked in a deli at a golf course when I was in high school and couldn't eat hot dogs or doughnuts for almost 3 years after I quit because I smelled them all weekend for a year or so - YUCK! Too bad it didn't last....

Amarantha - Yes, there is a government conspiracy to feed the masses Pop-Tarts - the crack of breakfast foods. The pyramid picture is simply subliminal messaging.... Do not attempt to avoid the brainwashing - resistance is futile!
Oooh, hey does anyone remember breakfast bars??? They were like brownies! My Dad used to get SO peeved at me when I was a kid because I'd devoure a whole box in a sitting! Yea, my binging goes waaaaaay back...

Kaylet - I have a bread machine, but since carbs are my downfall, it's not something I use often. Can you imagine me, one person, making a loaf of fresh, hot, wonderful bread and expecting it to last????? Not gonna happen... I did use it to mix cookie dough before I bought my Kitchen-Aid though!

Babette - Congrats on your 5 days!!! :cp:

I had a little non-scale eye opener this weekend. I bought some kitty litter on sale at Petco and when I was carrying it in the house I realized what I was carrying was just a bit more than what I've lost. I stood there for a moment and felt the weight on my feet, my legs and hips. My back actually hurt worse and my knees popped when I walked up the stairs and they creaked!!! I guess I didn't appreciate just how much of a difference loosing almost 30 pounds makes! I was very happy that was the kind of weight I could just set down and have it GONE!

Well, guess I should work.... :rolleyes:

Terri

deleted2
09-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi All. Having a sad day. I came home from work and found one of my cats had died. She was 16 years old and it appeared that she passed peacefully because I thought she was just sleeping--quite a shock. Garry was able to come home early so we spent some time reminiscing about her while preparing her grave. It's hard when you have old animals--you never know when something will happen. No regrets though--she slept on my head last night and had 2 little dishes of milk this morning and she knew she was loved! :) :( :) :(

Kaylets
09-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Eydie,

I'm so sorry- Almost 9 mos ago, we came home and found our 16-17 yr old beagle had had a stroke. We had only had him about 10yrs but since he was a pound rescue it might have been 10yrs
extra.

Its amazing how we rely on our pets as much as they rely on us.

And you are right, she had a good life with lots of love.

Arabella
09-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Eydie,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved cat. 16 years is a long time! You must be very sad. The death of our dear "Kitten" is still pretty fresh for me, although, as is the way with grief, it doesn't take as big a piece of my life as it once did. I have no regrets about The Kitten, either, except I still miss him so terribly...

We love these little creatures so much! I was surprised by the depth of my grief when The Kitten died - there are only a few people whose death has affected me more deeply. And - although I'm ashamed to say this now - I always thought that I didn't feel akin to cats in the way that i do to dogs, and that I couldn't have that level of attachment.

I know a man who has decided to never have a pet again, because he knows the odds are he will outlive it, will have that grief again. And he doesn't want to go through it. But grief is the price we pay for loving mortal creatures, and what would life be without love?

Thinking of you

xo
babette

Amarantha2
09-10-2002, 02:11 AM
Eydie: Adding my empathy on the loss of your cat. Sixteen was a venerable age for a kitty and it sounds like she enjoyed every minute of her years.

Punkin: I do remember those breakfast bars. Another trap was "Figurines, famous for their crunch; crunch, crunch, crunch; they're the most unquiet kind of DIET lunch!" A box of those was something like 1100 calories ... you were supposed to eat just one a day. They had flavors such as vanilla, s'mores, chocolate malt. If they were still around, I'd devour a box right now!

Arabella
09-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Good Morning All! :cool:

I am on to Day 6. I think I may have heard that elusive "click" that signifies logic sinking into place. I know what I want to do, and how to do it! Went to a family birthday party last night, knowing that there would be my mom's fabulous homemade rolls and chocolate cake. I decided in advance that I was NOT going to have either (wasn't even really tempted :D ) and I didn't, even though my mom pouted. She's such a brat! I had turkey, along with the herb vinaigrette potato salad and mixed green salad that I brought :s: I had some mussels beforehand, but eschewed the melted butter. I did have maybe 6 or 7 mini nacho chips with a teeny bit of dip, but that was the extent of my perfidy :smug:

This feels significant to me. I'm going to do it this time! :dancer:

Eydie, sending thoughts and prayers your way. I agree with Amarantha, it sounds as if your cat had a lovely and long life - and also died peacefully in her sleep, which is just about the best you could ask for.

This morning our favorite cat, Dickens, is suddenly passing blood in his urine. I expect that it's the usual urinary tract problem that cats get, but I'll be glad to confirm that it's nothing more serious. I'm taking him to the vet in a little while.

Kaylets, I think the bread machines make pretty good bread, and it certainly is easier. I do like to knead bread by hand, but I don't do it very often - I expect that we would have fresh, homemade bread more often if I had a machine. I think that having really good, healthy, tasty food makes this process a lot easier and more satisfying. I still think about food, but mostly how to get the absolute best and healthiest meals together. I actually enjoy food a lot more this way. Plus it's so much better anyway when I'm hungry -- who knew! :p

Punkin, that is really inspiring about the 76-year old climber! Let us emulate him! When we were on our recent hiking trip, I was very conscious of being grateful that I was capable of climbing long, steep paths and of clambering over huge boulders, and doing all of that for several hours a day.

The worst thing we can do as we get older is to stop doing things. My MIL has started to avoid stairs and to intentionally walk more slowly, and she has really declined. She still keeps really busy, but she could be in fabulous shape. My mother had 10 kids and worked full-time, so she used to be very busy, but since she retired, she's become almost completely sedentary. Now between that, being 100+ pounds overweight, and arthritis, she can barely walk to the end of her block. It drives me crazy! I try so hard to get her to exercise, and she will do it if I go do it with her, but otherwise she just sits. Too bad she didn't have a bit of the climber's spirit...

Amarantha, re: filling the void -- I used to buy tons of sweets and tuck myself into bed with a good novel. I knew that what I was doing wasn't healthy, but I never understood where the compulsion came from. Now, when I'm on track and feeling hopeful and positive, that doesn't appeal to me. Although certainly I remember days of thinking that I didn't want to do anything but go back to bed with a bag of doughnuts :rolleyes: I should remember that usually signifies that something is out of kilter in my life, and that I probably have needs that are not being met.

I've been doing so much better, but I still have to plan some fun and spirituality. I always focus on what I HAVE to do and give those short shrift, as if they were non-essential. I declare I will attend to my needs today!

Have a wonderful day, Blockettes. Love to All!

Amarantha2
09-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Yo!!! :queen:s and Wood Nymphs!!! I'm traveling again today ... first exercise, feed animals, then off! My challenge today is to do as well as yesterday, which was 1670 calories and 80 minutes of exercise, including pole walking around the lake in the town whose council I covered last night. Very proud of making that extra effrort! :cb:

Babette: I used to do that reading in bed with food thing for hours also. Now I still read in bed and sometimes have a snack but there's not the compulsion to eat whole bags of candy, boxes of ice cream bars, etc. If I snack, I like Kashi Good Friends, which takes some effort to eat. Hope all is well with your kitty!

To All!!! Have a wonderful (OP) kind o' day!!! Let's see how many bananas the system will allow! :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

Punkinseed
09-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Wow Amarantha! Your post gave me potassium overload!!! :cb:

Eydie - I'm so sorry for your loss. 16 years is both a very long time and not nearly long enough.
I was one of those "I'm never gonna get another pet" people too. When I lost my dogs in my divorce I SWORE I was never going to feel like that again. Well, I ended up with cats, telling myself I'll never love them like I did my dogs - so I'm safe. Yeah, right... I know I'll be heartbroken many years from now when they eventually pass on - but the silly old saying is true - it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.
I hope someday your cat comes back to you - I believe my Mom's old Howlie cat, who was 19 when she passed, has come back to her in her new kitty Sadie - who has so many of Howlie's strange charicteristics that it really makes you think...

Babette - Amen to that!!! I may grow old, but I'm going to refuse to grow UP!!! I believe you are as old as you act - my late Grandmother could run rings around most of the people her age. When she got sick she refused to go to the Dr. because she knew he was going to restrict her in some way (with what she had, she would've had to totally change her life). She passed a few days after my Mom drug her into the hospital - I think it was her way of making sure she still had the final word!

Big hugs to you all!

Terri

Oh, weigh in dinner was NOT a binge and it didn't involve chocolate!!! :cp:

Arabella
09-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Terri, I find it so interesting that you say you think your mom's cat has come back to her. When our cat died, I found myself thinking, "He will come back." I don't know in what format, because I'm resisting getting another cat - we live on a busy street, and I couldn't bear to have another one hit by a car. But maybe one day, another creature will appear with The Kitten's spirit shining out of his eyes...

Re: our little Dickens - he does have the usual urinary tract infection, so he's on antibiotics and special diet for 10 days. Hope he feels better soon.

Punkinseed
09-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Get well soon Dickens!!

Yes, I do believe animals come back to us. I can't see how their souls or their energy can be any different than our own. We have some family friends that have named 3 different dogs "Cinder". They too are convinced that it's just their ol' Cinder - AGAIN.

It may or may not be true, but honestly, I believe in anything that makes you feel better, makes your heart happy and helps you make some sense out things that can sometimes be senseless.

Terri

mmkaa
09-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I posted for a brief while on the buddy board back in May. Needless to say, I've ballooned about 10 pounds since then. I want to join this 21 day challenge. I have to get back on track, and I love 3FC. Is it too late to join the challenge?

deleted2
09-11-2002, 06:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for their sympathy about Sabbat's passing. We've never had so few animals--1 dog and 3 cats now. I can remember when we had a houseful. Yes, I believe that it's possible that the'll 'recycle' back to us. We particularly miss our 2 dogs that we lost in 2001--we just hope we'll be wise enough to recognize them if they do make another appearance!

Babette, hope Dickens is feeling better. Is he easy to "pill" or is it a 2-person job? Cats can get really slippery!

Amarantha, loved your poptart conspiracy theory! You may be onto something--I saw the box and the 'crackers' do look suspiciously like poptarts!

Kaylets, did you get a bread machine? I have a Breadman and I love it. I always use the dough cycle; that way I get to shape it myself since I don't like that awkward bread machine loafpan. Great for making whole grain pizza dough and [low-fat, low-sugar!] cinnamon rolls, etc.

Hi Punkinseed!

Mmkaa--welcome. Never too late--post away! I think we're all at different stages of the challenge--we just jump in anytime!;)

Arabella
09-11-2002, 07:32 AM
Good Morning, Best and Brightest Blockettes! :cool:

Well, I did it -- I actually steeled myself and went to TOPS last night . It was in the evening, after dinner and I was fully clothed. And their scale has me 6 pounds over my recorded weight. However, I think my home scale has me some amount over that too, so maybe I'll just record the official weight. Else how can I record my official loss next week? :rolleyes: Hate to put the number up, but since I am truly going to do it now, I will be able to put it down next week :cp: :cb:, and most weeks thereafter, n'est-ce pas?

Yesterday, I walked 4.5 miles, did 2 circuits at the gym, and went to tai chi class. It was somewhat of a hungry day, but I adhered to my rules, so I declare the day a success!

Eydie, Dickens is not so slippery as he might be if it weren't for the claws, which dig in nicely. I've got marks on my thigh from where he tried to get enough purchase to escape. But I don't mind so much. He's on liquid stuff, which is a little trickier than tossing the pill down his throat, but I shall persevere.

This morning he's still straining, but no blood, so that's good.

Mmkaa--Welcome to the challenge! You can start any time -- take it from me - I've started any number of times :rolleyes:

:queen: Punkinseed, a big congrats to you, foregoing the post-WI free-for-all! I was a little confused yesterday and had a heavy dinner (weight-wise) BEFORE weigh-in. Maybe next week I'll try something lighter...should be good for a pound or so, anyway!

Amarantha, I loved the image of your imperial self striding around the lake! Good for you, getting in that extra bit, too! My little extra challenge yesterday was parking the car when I got home from tai chi and walking to TOPS and thence to an art opening, thus getting in an extra mile and a half or so. And thanks for all those bananas, enough for all to share!

Let's make this a good one! Love to all!

Punkinseed
09-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Helloooo everyone,

mmkaa - You're more than welcome to start any ol' time. You'll find we're a fun bunch ifIdosaysomyself! ;)

Babette - Congrats on rejoining TOPS! I was with them for a few weeks, but the group was not quite "me" - mostly older women whom I had nothing in common with. We also spent more time singing than talking... :shrug: Glad to hear Dickens is getting better - funny how cats can seem to become boneless when they want to get away from you!

Hugs to everyone!

Terri :moo: *snort*

Amarantha2
09-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Mmkaa: As the foregoing :queen:s hath said, "WELCOME!!!" We are indeed a fun bunch of :cb:s and have very good potassium levels!!! :cb:

Punkinseed: I am picturing you in a group of singing TOPS ladies ... hmmm ... maybe I should try singing to break through this :dance: plateau!!

Babette/Arabella: Good for you for making it to the meeting and for completing your exercise!!! :cp: :jig: Don't worry about those pesky 6 pounds ... THEY WILL BE GONE IN NO TIME!!! BTW, should I make any updates in the 5-pound challenge list? You are on it for September 15? I just keep on extending mine because I AM going to lose the FIVE :dance:! Glad Dickens is getting sorted out.

Eydie: I love your cat's name, again, so sorry that she has passed but I do think her spirit will join you again. The feeling that loved ones stay with us is often very strong. When my brother died and I brought his cat home, I became convinced (not intellectually, but emotionally) that a part of his spirit had joined forces with the kitty's spirit ... especially the mischevious parts of both of them! Literally I would wake up in the middle of the night and feel terribly sad and the cat would be staring in my face and patting my shoulder ... of course, she'd do that anyway because that's what cats are like, but ... :)

mmkaa
09-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome!!!

My 21 day challenge is to snack on veggies everytime I think i'm hungry, but i'm really not. It is also to get on my recumbent (sp?) bike every day for 40 minutes.

Monica
1/0/1

deleted2
09-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi everybody!

Had a weird food day---didn't lose my mind so I can say I'm still on program but just barely! Anyway, no looking back!

I'm reading Appetites by Geneen Roth and there's a quote I'd like to share. It jumped off the page at me!

"There are 2 kinds of deprivation, the deprivation of not eating foods you want and the deprivation of not feeling well. If you eat foods you want but don't feel well afterward, you deprive yorself of good health. You get to choose what you deprive yourself of--certain foods or well-being."

Wow....next time I'm tempted, I think I'll chew on that!

Amarantha2
09-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the quote, Eydie! That is really something to consider ... goes back to treating ourselves as well as we treat others. Kind of like being our own parent, too. Would we give our child a whole lot of unhealthy junk to eat and deprive her of vegetables? Would we let her lie on the couch all day and not get any exercise and watch her arteries clog as she ages? Would we deprive her of health just to give her what she thinks she wants and to keep her quiet? No, we wouldn't. So why would we do this to ourselves?

:listen:

Punkinseed
09-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Well, I didn't make it through the day without crying - I guess it was a joke to think I would...
I actually held it together pretty well until the dj for the radio station I listen to read something on the air... today is his birthday and he wrote down his feelings about his "special day" being now forever marred by the events and how he feels that he couldn't celebrate when so many others are so sad and lost so much. He got through about 75% of it just fine, but when he started talking about how he can't say on the air what he'd like to do to the people who did this and how he hoped no family ever had to experience anything like what the families that lost someone had, well, he lost it on air. A grown man crying will bring me to tears every - single - time.
10 minutes later, I'm weeping, people are calling the radio station weeping - giving him "bravo's" for saying out loud what everyone else has been feeling in their hearts and telling him to celebrate his birthday because he's alive. Now that I've started crying I'll probably be weepy until my head hits the pillow....

Anyyyyway.... on to lighter subjects....

Monica! mmkaa has a new name! Welcome again! I think your challenge is a great one!

Eydie - awsome quote! Yes, I could chew on that one too - I wonder if my library would have that book... sounds good!

Amarantha - Actually, you've got something there with the singing! I saw an interview with Sheryl Crow and she said her best ab work is singing - so yes, when I'm in the car, or cleaning house I'm beltin' them out, paying attention to my breathing and holding in those muscles!!!! My cats think I'm nuts, but who cares!!!

Time to go home and light my candles.... big hugs all!

Terri

Amarantha2
09-11-2002, 10:12 PM
That is so sad, about it being his birthday. That just really is sad. :(

Arabella
09-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Day 8, I believe. Yup. Day 8. It's still new enough that I almost forget sometimes, and do something like pick at leftovers while i'm cleaning up, but the longer I stay OP the less I will have those impulses. Yesterday, between walking, doing an interview, and meeting friends for dinner I got in an hour and a half walking. I get double brownie points because it was raining but I took the umbrella rather than the car :smug: Plus I did yoga and a set of tai chi.

I'm really finding the idea of weigh-in next week motivating - it helps me decide what to eat when I'm hungry and helps me decide whether a little extra exercise would be a good thing.

Punkin, maybe it's the same group of TOPS ladies wherever you go, they just travel from one meeting to another. :p Sure sounds like the ones here, too. Mostly 60-70 years old, and "church ladies" - you know, you could be sure that they'd served on the Ladies' Auxilliary, did the altars, taught Sunday School, and so on. (hope no one takes offence at that, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, just that we have a number of areas in which there's potential conflict. I hate to offend people and also hate to pretend to be other than the way I am).

But I'm staying anyway. That weigh-in is what helped me lose weight before, and I need the boost. And I tell myself that people are often a lot more interesting after you get to know them. I just hope that they don't want to sing dorky songs, because dorky songs have bugged me ever since we had to sing them in music class at school.

Eydie, I love that quote too. And Amarantha's further interpretation. This whole trip is so much like self-parenting in many ways. I remember Dr. Phil talking about how people were often really immature, and didn't want to deny themselves any immediate gratification. Sure true of me.

But I have to invoke the wiser Parent-self to say," Yes, I know you want that double chocolate doughnut. But you know what , Honey -- that's the kind of food that doesn't do anything good for you. Look at your body -- double chocolate doughnuts are only really good at making more fat. And they don't even make you feel good. So - no, I don't think you should have one. Or five. If you're hungry, eat something that will do you good. If you're not, go for a walk - breathe the air, look at the sky and the water and the leaves. You'll feel better for it, I promise."

Monica, I really like your plan to eat more fruits and veggies in the place of other things you might be snacking on. I have a perfectly slender sister who makes it a priority to eat a certain number of servings of fruits and veggies and then, after she's had all of them, if she wants something else for a snack she has it. But she says that she most often doesn't want the junk. I find I feel SO much better when I get my quota of the good stuff.

Amarantha, I don't know why it is that I feel I must go to the deadline and fail to meet it, but I guess I do. There's no way for me to meet it, but I'm not sure where I am exactly, because there's a scale discrepancy. I think I may have to work out the difference between the two scales and try to see exactly where I am in terms of the challenge. And then after next Monday's WI I'll be SO ready to enter the next challenge phase. Thanks for keeping the list going!:cp:

K. I should be productive. Let's make this a great day, Blockettes!

Amarantha2
09-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Good-morning, Royal Banana Blockettes!!! :cb: I am using up old frozen blueberries and low carb protein shakes this a.m. and it makes a terrific shake. I hate the word smoothie for some reason! Saturday is my Day 21 (of course, I cheat a bit because I give myself EXEMPTIONS), which will mark the end of my Blue Moon part of my Moon Initiative. I will stop being Artemis the Hunter, hunting down and eradicating (nonviolently, always) the things that are bothering me and stopping me from success. For the Green Moon portion of my two-block initiative, I think I will be some kind of lowly earth spirit, dedicated selfishly to my own existence and to enjoying the life I have left on earth ... and prolonging it by dancing joyfully under the green moon (cardiovascular), working hard to make my environment safe and healthy (resistance) and being flexible in all things. My "rules" for that block (stating 'em now because Sunday I'll be up to my neck in deadline stuff) are going to be the same: WORK TOWARDS a weekly calorie total somewhere in the 1700s but stay on the block if I don't make that (I think I will this week) and burn at least 1700 in exercise calories using my system of counting exercise minutes at 4 calories burned (conservative, probably more).

I will continue on with the Five-Pound Challenge, intending to keep however many pounds lost by my deadline and EXTENDING my deadline.

:queen: Babette: Ok, I'll leave you on the list for the 15th; that's my deadline, too, but as you can guess from the above, I don't expect to get there. BUT, THERE IS NO FAILURE!!! :nono: We are the Power o' Five, not to mention ROYALTY, WOOD NYMPHS and other creatures of power. We make our own rules on this journey, so how can it be called failure. The ONLY failure is to GIVE UP!!! :fr: And, of course, we will NEVER do that! These :dance:s are HISTORY!!!

Got to go clean house, take bath, write ... which is the only thing I get paid for!

Woo-hoo and hooray to all here!! We are all winners!! Onward and downward!!! Here's a last banana: :cb:

Punkinseed
09-12-2002, 02:46 PM
'ello and happy Friday-eve!

Babette - LOL! Yup, those are the same ladies!! I didn't care for the meetings, but I DO miss the accountability. There's something powerful about knowing you have to step on the scale in front of someone every week. Admitting my weight to you all is a wonderful substitute though. Right now I weigh in front of my cats - they don't care what I weigh since to them I'm just warm blooded furniture...

You may have also explained something to me in regards to the parental food allowances! My Dad, bless him, thought oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and Bundt cake were perfectly fine breakfast foods! So, now I'm retraining myself apparently - no wonder I have such a hard time!!!

Emp. Amarantha - I bow and scrape to your :queen:-ness.

Well, I should do something other than yack on the 'puter today....

Terri :moo: *snort*

Kaylets
09-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Hello !

ALMOST FRIDAY!!

Well, scale looks promising but since nothing is official till Monday, just trying to stay the course. Got a bit of a breather by late afternoon and was able to finally BREATHE. Now, just need to chug water to get some in. If you're wondering who's in the bathroom, its me.

Guess some of the "crush" I'm feeling is that Tues and Wed there were constant military planes in the air-- We have an AFBase here in Delaware and since we are on High Alert, there has been constant activity. Seemed like you could almost hear the planes in your sleep. Made you wonder what they knew that we didnt know. I think everyone is emotionally drained.

So, any weekend plans ?? None for me although I am still trying to "tour" a few places to start swimming lessons. Need to just DO IT. But, no guilt, because, last week whatever "touch of the flu" I had. I wouldnt expect anyone else to do too much when they werent feeling well would I??

Take care of all- guess where I'm headed.

Arabella
09-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Good Morning, Your Excellencies!

I went to a party last night and had a bit too much vino and also had cake, but I guess these things will happen. It wasn't an unreasonable amount of food, and I decided not to have the steak they offered, so I guess it was ok.

Punkin, my mom still can't take in the idea that cake and cookies can't play a major role in a healthy diet. If you add oatmeal to a cookie, I think she secretly believes it's health food. :rolleyes: When you consider that we're trying to get in maximum nutrition and not too many calories, we just don't have room for a lot of junk.

Kaylets, hope you're feeling better. The constant droning of military planes - sounds like it would be enough to make me pull the blankets over my head and try to sleep through it. :(

Amarantha, congrats on getting round the Blue Moon Block tomorrow! :cb: :cp: I like the sound of your green moon initiative too. Good luck with your deadline stress! I've got a mid-month deadline now as well as the end-o-month so today is deadline day for me. Not a huge project though, so I'm sure I'll get through it.

Let's make it a good one, Blockettes!

Amarantha2
09-13-2002, 10:59 AM
What? Oatmeal cookies are not a health food!!!??? Oh, no! :fr:

What if we add a :cb:?

Amarantha DID go a bit high yesterday at 1985 and bring her calorie average up in the 1800s again, but she's still calling it good to go for the Blue Moon Initiative!!! (Exemptions, you know!) She exercised 85 minutes. Her positive thinking challenge to herself is posted on the 5-pound thread. Her Leslie-A-Day challenge continueth unabated, though because knees hurt today, she must exercise less.

Got to go to store and get healthy food (no cookies) and then work all day on stories.

Punkinseed
09-13-2002, 11:38 AM
:cb: It's Friday!!!:cb:

Aaaaah, plans for the weekend;
Tonight after work I'm going to get started on staining/sealing my 2 decks and probably finish up tomarrow. Then I plan on sitting on my butt the rest of the weekend with both an ice pack and heating pad.... my back's still bothering me and I finally made a chiropractor appt for Monday. It's supposed to storm on Sunday and I'm looking forward to that....

Babette - I'm also reminded of my Grandmother who used to feed me carob because it was "better than chocolate" (yea, coco butter is great for the arteries). I guess we have come a long way in knowing more about nutrition...

Amarantha - Oatmeal cookies CAN be a health food, but not when made with chocolate chips and crisco!

I blew my "no chocolate" challenge yesterday purely by accident - I SWEAR!!!! My Mom bought those Riesen candies and was telling me how great they'd be to cure a chocolate craving and yup, I popped one in and said "oh yea, they would... CRAP! I just ate chocolate!!!!!" She looked at me like I'd lost my mind.... But, I held it to a couple then put the bag down.... then this morning I realized that I've been munching on my chocolate Velamints for the last week... DUH! But, still, I'm doing ok - no rampant binging on it!

Planning to work as little as possible today...

Terri

deleted2
09-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Terri, I haven't seen chocolate velamints in 100 years! Didn't know they still made them. Funny how one can go all nostalgic over food. I've been craving those toasted coconut-covered marshmalows and can't find them anywhere and it's just as well!

Really good food day and lots of water too! Tomorrow's challenge is meeting friends at IHOP and running the gauntlet there. I'll let you know how that turns out!

I think that I'm mentally ready to kick my weight loss efforts up a notch. [Finally!] Is it unrealistic to go for losing 4-5 pounds a month? I have a vision!!!!

Amarantha2
09-14-2002, 12:21 AM
Yo! Royal Blockettes! It's Friday night and Amarantha is again working all weekend! But eating is good for today at 1650 calories, 55 minutes of exercise and the Leslie-A-Day Challenge still continuing! Feeling as though I won't have a scale loss though, just know the ancient body is holding water and the metabolism is creaky.

Have to work!!! Bye, all!

ONWARD AND DOWNWARD!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!! YOU BET!!! :cb: :cp: :hat:

Kaylets
09-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Good morning all!!!

Eydie-- Hard to give an exact answer when I don't know how quickly you lose- but for sure, you won't know if you don' try- Emrpess A's thread - "5lb challenge" lets you pick your own date and is very flexible. I have found its that extra incenitve (Initiaitve!) to keep me on track when things get slippery. I am suprising myself by some of my losses so again, you won't know if you don't try.

Which leads me to my next point, extra calcium and/or magnesium/and /or soy????-- I have doubled my calcium intake, take a 250mg magnesium tablet and eat soy almost once a day. When I compared the old WW's records, I have doubled my weekly losses. Since I ate soy before, I suspect the calcium and magnesium are making the difference. I honestly am still working into a fitness plan so am only climbing regular stairs, walking and 15 min stationary bike which can't be burning more than aerobic weight training. So , I will continue with the extra dairy/calcium and the magnesium too.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen quicker losses by incresing the calcium/dairy intake.

Babette, been meaning to tell you, I have a sil who was a TOPS member for years. She really seemed to enjoy the group. I know they had "rallies" occaisonally on the weekends where lots of groups would meet together. Not sure if she's still goes since she moved a few years back.

So far, one load of wash done, 15 min on bike, -- there are lots of yardsales in the paper--

have a good one all!

Arabella
09-14-2002, 10:03 AM
I'm depressed - I blew my challenge mid-afternoon yesterday. I was depressed then, and not feeling great. Now, of course, today I only feel worse. Not giving up, just not feeling real optimistic right now.

Anyway, I'll do what I can to feel better today. I already walked 3 miles and did 2 circuits at the gym. I'm going to also practice tai chi. I'll also try to polish the house up a bit.

Hope you're all feeling perkier than me.

Amarantha2
09-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Yo!!! Good-Saturday-Morn, Royal Blockettes! :wave:

Yea, :queen: Babette/WN Arabella, Amarantha feeleth quite perky (other than having all this deadline stuff to finish). :queen: Babette, good that you are NOT giving up, but what is this about not feeling OPTIMISTIC!!? :fr: Ok, now Amaranth must remind thee of Shirley Temple in the movie, "Just Around the Corner." (Think that was the one.) She and her little cronies crooned the following and methinks it might make a great theme song for the Royal Blockettes and the Power O' Five Team (yes, :queen: Eydie, please post a challenge over there if it pleaseth thee, as :queen: Kaylets mentions! :))

Ok, here's Shirley's song: "Be optimistic!!! :cb: Don't you be a mourner! :jig: Brighten up that corner ... and S-M-I-L-E! :cp:

That's gotta work, don't you think!?

Amarantha2
09-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Oops! Forgot the second verse: "Your future can't be as BAD as all that! When you're SAD as all that, no one LOVES you! Be optimistic ... ibid and etc.!!!

Amarantha2
09-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Three in a row? Why not! :lol: Forgot to tell you the other song from that timeless epic: "JUST around the corner, there's a rainbow in the sky, so let's have another cup of coffee and LET'S have another piece of pie!

Of course, Amarantha would like to amend that last bit to: "... so let's have another cup of coffee and DECLINE another piece of pie!!

Finished now! :wave:

Kaylets
09-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Hello all!!!

Finally went to the gym yesterday. It had been so long we had to get the new "slider" key the gym started using. Evidently, they have a whole closet full of new keys for folks who havent been in awhile so there lots of us who havent been in awhile. As its been so long, we didnt even go near the weights-- we'll see what happens next time.

Babette, perhaps if you just think of your day has a flat tire --or a little finder bender-- Its frustrating but it sounds like you kept "driving". I grant you a "NO GUILT PASS" for good intentions.

We are expecting a big storm which will be a big help with our drought emergency. Did I mention two of the baby trees we thought we lost have grown new leaves since the Labor Day storm? The blackberry bushes are growing like crazy too- Good to see we didnt lose as much as we thought.

Till later!!

Amarantha2
09-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Yo! I used all my long-windedness on the NEW 5-pound challenge thread explaining that I'm UP a half pound, but am now on the Green Moon Initiative (aka, another block, one of two I'm calling the Moon Initiative). For the Blue Moon Initiative (aka, the last block) I succeeded in getting my calorie average for the three weeks to 1855, which is considerably down. Last week's average was 1784 (but I may have guessed too liberally on some items, so for the next three weeks, it's strict accounting and no lowballing). Exercise calories last week: 2020. Still on the Leslie-A-Day challenge, clothes looser, much stronger and even jogged about 5 minutes of a 25-minute walk. My new 5-Pound Challenge is to lose 5 by Oct. 6. I have lost a total of four pounds since July 14, before the 5-pound thread started and I think it has helped. I am a very SLOW loser but I WILL reach my goal of 135 pounds someday and do remember that once I weighed 247 and I WILL NOT GO BACK THERE!

Kaylets: I've heard there is some relationship of calcium to weight loss. I can't attest to it myself, since I'm an avid dairy fan and have (as I said on the 5-pound thread) the metabolism of a sea cow! :moo: Ok, repeating my jokes ... got to get to work now.

Babette: Hope you met your deadline and feel better and have done tai chi :jig: :cb: I still have two stories to finish today, then I can start the new work week!

WOO-HOO, I'M ON BLOCK TWO!!!! :cb: :cb:

:hat:

Kaylets
09-15-2002, 08:24 PM
hello all!!

Went back to the gym this afternoon, but we only did the treadmill again. But the point is, we went back and are now beyond " need to start going back to the gym".

Went back to the store and bought the breadmaker we were looking at. DH is diabetic is able to maintain his blood levels better with whole wheat. The first loaf just didnt come out -the second one is now "kneading".

Believe it or not, looks like the one apple tree is not only growing new leaves but may even bloom!! Hope it can still make it thru the winter.

Need to check the last of the laundry and take some more allergy medicine.

Good news is that I've managed to get lots of water two days in the row. !!

Take care !!

Amarantha2
09-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Good for you, Kaylets, for finding your way back to the gym! :cp: I barely remember apple trees, but are they supposed to bloom in the fall? Thought that's when you harvested the apples.

Lots of my breadmaker batches failed at first. I wanted to make high fiber bread also (fiber does help in regulating blood sugar, so good for your DH in going for the good stuff). Eventually, the break got better ... had something to do with having EXACTLY the correct amount and temperature of water. I couldn't take the pressure. :fr:

Ended my eating day with 1780 calories, 60 minutes of exercise but skipping Leslie, unless I get a surge of energy or something. Very burnt out with writing board stories all day. Takes forever, very dull. Wish I could drive a truck for a living instead.

Kaylets
09-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Ok, I give, what's a board story? Oh, school board maybe? Yes, that would be boring. I agree. The few I've been too, ( and that was in highschool during our dresscode revolution -- such a rebel!!) were often just a big **** contest.

Driving a truck? hmmm- I am visualizing --- There you are with your crown and the royal entourage, one in front directing traffic, another behind the first w/ flashing lights, and two on each side. I don't know, seems very high profile for us royals. But then again, you could be a commoner incognito. What kind of truck?? Don't say icecream!!! Every time DH feels stressed he talks about buying a hotdog truck. Then I have to point out the long hours on your feet, the heat, the agravating customers, etc.

Anyway, time to get lunches together !!

Have the best Monday !

Arabella
09-16-2002, 09:33 AM
I'm a bit less depressed today. I'm sure that it's at least partly menopause. I haven't been as diligent about getting all the vitamins that help and so on, and I know it makes a big difference. Depression just makes life so hard - I get to the point that I hardly feel like putting one foot in front of the other, like I'll just do what kids do sometimes and collapse on the floor.

Anyway, this morning I don't feel quite that bad and I'm working on the things I can do to make it better. My diet and exercise have been fairly good, but since I picked a bit the last couple of days, I have to start with day 1 today.

Amarantha, oooohhh! Driving a truck sounds fabulous! Maybe not for the length of time that they tend to drive every day, but short trips - maybe like a local courrier. Little drives around the countryside, selecting my CDs for the day, yup, that sounds good. Or painting. Or carpentry. Or gardening. Why do we write? Sigh.

Kaylets, I'm glad about your apple tree in bloom, even if it is a little confused about what it's supposed to be doing. I envy you your blackberry bushes! I love them, and now they're supposed to be so fantastic for your health. Maybe I will actually manage to plant some...

Let's make this a good one, Blockettes! I'm going to start a new thread now...