Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #1  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Ahhhhh

Ok, March is very much not my month apparently. First I was sick. At the very beginning of being sick I went to a career fair which got me an interview. A week later, while still recovering from being sick, I went to my interview, got the job, and started the new job the next day. Now I haven't worked out since the 5th, not a single workout! I've also had a few bad eating days and I'm up almost 7 pounds from where I was at the end of February. I'm feeling very frustrated and I want very much to give up. My birthday is next week and I was hoping to be down 10 more pounds by then, but I'm up 7 instead. I don't know how anyone finds the time to workout and work and clean the house and find time for the hubby/boyfriend/whatever. I really don't know how those of you who have kids do it since I am struggling so much and I only have the furry sorts. I know that I can do it, it's just that the change of things has thrown me for a loop.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

How do we do it? We make it a tippy top priority. It's of the utmost of importance to me, to NOT do it - well that would just be insane. Well, never mind insane - it's just not an option not to.

I made the decision to be a health minded person - so I had to BECOME a health minded person. I had to BE a health minded person. All the time. No stopping. Just continuing.

And no, it's not like all this extra time fell into my lap - I had to CARVE IT OUT. I had to MAKE the time for it. Because it's a tippy top priority. It's of the utmost of importance. It matters that much.

That being said, planning, planning and more planning is what makes it more doable. I've got my meals and snacks planned out ahead of time. I know exactly what's going in my mouth come food time. Makes it much easier to adhere to a healthy lifestyle if you've got it all mapped out. I've got my home loaded with healthy foods, I pack foods with me. I make appointments with myself as to when I will exercise. It's worthy of the time and the effort - because it's just THAT important.

You spoke of the change throwing you for a loop, well first there's the planning that I spoke of, but then you have to face facts, accept and acknowledge that there WILL BE a transition period. And it will feel odd, awkward and even uncomfortable - initially - as you develop new healthy habits. But eventually, if you allow it to take hold, than it DOES become easier and yes - enjoyable. But you've got to work past that discomfort stage. You can't keep giving in. Than you have to start all over again.

Make this a priority. Make a plan. Stick to it like glue. Don't make it an option not to. Ride out the discomfort stage. Push yourself. Stretch. REach. Strive. Learn. Prosper. Grow. AMAZE YOURSELF.

And happy birthday. May the year ahead be your very best one yet.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Don't lose sight of your goal during the transition stage - it doesn't seem that you have - and don't be too hard on yourself for a minor (yes, minor!) setback.

Over the next few weeks you'll sort it out - Robin's suggestions are good ones. Perhaps you could set up a structure that will help you weather the madness until things settle down again.

Congratulations on your new job!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #4  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I doubt you've really gained 7lbs. When you eat off plan, the scale goes dramatically up from excess salt, food volume, etc. You might have gained 3 or 4. That's not too bad! A few weeks and you'll be right back where you started. You'll look back and think, "Thank goodness I didn't give up!!"

How do we do it? A typical day for me:

Up at 6:30 - shower, get ready for work
7:30 - get girls up and get them ready for school
8:00 - Family breakfast
8:15 - Girls go to school, I go to work
9:00 - 5:00 - I am at work - I don't take a separate lunch so that I can have a shortened work day. We do 37.5 hour work week anyway. I keep food with me at my desk and take a 15 min break to eat lunch.
5:00 - 6:00 - driving home, picking up girls from babysitter
6:00 - 7:00 - Make dinner while helping girls with homework
7:00 - 7:30 - We eat dinner
7:30 - 8:00 - Clean up and prep for exercise
8:00 - 9:00 - Ride bike while watching TV with DH and girls
9:00 - Girls go upstairs to take showers and read for 30 minutes
9:30 - 11:00 - Quiet time/FB time/Volunteer computer work time
11:00 - bed

Today was a variation because of my running day. I ran during normal homework time. DH had "homework duty." I am heading downstairs to make a quick, late dinner which is fine because I have already exercised for the evening.

I bet if you work out a schedule where you itemize you're time, you'll find that at least 4 to 5 days/week you can fit in exercise and meal planning. Like Robin said, it has to be a priority. I get "cranky" when DH makes plans for me on exercise day to go to a restaurant with friends. I simply don't go. No one takes it personally anymore. That's just my time and its non-negotiable.

You can do this!! I know it!! Find what works for you. Tanee's signature really spoke to me - "When you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse." Find a way! You'll be so glad you did!!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #5  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

My schedule looks like this.

5:15 am wake up
5:30 am drop hubby off at work
6:00 am get toddler girl ready for daycare
7:00 am get me ready for work
7:45 am get meals ready for the day
8:00 am leave the house
8:30-12 pm at work
12:00-1:00 pm lunch time workout
1:00-5:00 pm at work
5:00 pm hubby meets me at work and we go pick up the little girl
5:40 pm get home, cook dinner
6:30 pm sit down with family eat dinner
7:00 pm reading to the little girl
7:30pm hubby gets daughter ready for bed and I clean the kitchen
8:30pm little girl goes to bed, my alone time with hubby.
9:00-10:00pm go to bed - this time depends on the kind of day I have had. Sometimes I'm so tired that I'm sleep with or before the baby. I'm a project coordinator and there is always a project with a right now deadline and it's tiring. But I love it.

Mornings that my husband doesn't work I get up at 5:30 and do an extra workout - 30 Day Shred. Depending on how hungry I am I eat before my lunch time workout. It's something I brought with me and prepared. Takes about 10 minutes to eat. If I eat after my workout same situation. I eat every 2-2.5 hours.

PLANING PLANING PLANING, that's how I get it done. My daughter is 22 months old and some days, like today she will have a melt down or just will not cooperate with my schedule. Which is why we get up so early and if she needs extra mommy time I have it.

I want this so bad, that I do whatever I gotta do. It's hard some times but I'm worth it. Also I have weekends to recoup. I will also workout on Saturday or Sunday. I have one of those days off and it depends on what errands need to be taken care of. You can do this, just plan for it.

Last edited by jigglefree; 03-16-2010 at 09:21 PM.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglefree View Post

I want this so bad, that I do whatever I gotta do
. It's hard some times but I'm worth it. .
And that there in is the bottom line.

You have to want it SO badly that you are WILLING to do whatever it takes. Whatever. It. Takes. You accept no excuses. Only results. You do whatever is necessary. You do whatever it takes. Because you want it SO badly, that you are WILLING to do whatever it takes. You want it - and you're wiling to work for it.

A great qIf you want it badly enough, you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote