South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #1  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Tofu Shirataki noodles

If you haven't tried these yet, go out and get them now! Go ahead, I'll wait(lol j/k). I tried these yesterday and they are great. They look like pasta but are made of tofu. They smell disgusting when you open the package but once you rinse them good enough the smell goes away. They don't have a very noticeable taste, but really kicked my pasta craving. I made a low fat balsamic alfredo-ish sauce to go over it and it was GREAT! They are very low in calories also. I think the whole package has 40 calories total and I think its 2 servings per bag. I've seen ladies discuss them somewhere on here before and always wanted to try them and I'm so glad I did. I come from a traditional Italian family who eats pasta every Sunday. I have been avoiding mom's house on phase 1 because of this but now I can go and bring these and eat with the family(my mom is nice enough to not add sugar to the sauce for me).
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

These are popular with several of us here on The Beach.

I love how they take the place of regular noodles and are so versatile to use in all kinds of recipes. My favorite way to serve these is with a spicy Thai peanut sauce and broccoli, and I often throw them into stir-fries, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #3  

I love Thai food...didn't even think of that! I'm going to try it soon. Thanks for the idea Cottage!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I personally don't care for them but here's a link where I ranked them

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...i-noodles.html
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8

I tried them and I HATED them. The taste, the smell, the texture, everything. Maybe I did something wrong??? I just rinsed mine, patted dry and then microwaved (it was for a HG recipe). I just couldn't get paste the opaque color and the slimy texture. How did you cook yours? I really really want to love them since they are soooo low calorie!
AndreaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMarie View Post
I tried them and I HATED them. The taste, the smell, the texture, everything. Maybe I did something wrong??? I just rinsed mine, patted dry and then microwaved (it was for a HG recipe). I just couldn't get paste the opaque color and the slimy texture. How did you cook yours? I really really want to love them since they are soooo low calorie!
The important thing to remember is that they aren't going to taste or feel like like pasta. Other than that, I drain and rinse them thoroughly, then pat them dry. I bring a pot of water to a boil, drop them in, and boil them for 3 minutes before adding them to a recipe. I've served them with marinara sauce, added them to stir-frys and soups, and topped them with other sauces.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm...I am going to give these a shot. Where can I get them? Are they in normal grocery stores like Save On and Safeway?
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #8  

Andrea...I just rinse them VERY WELL and pat them dry and sometimes repeat if it still smells too funny and then I microwave them. They don't really taste like anything to me. Just a mechanism to hold the sauce lol. I had them with a low fat balsamic alfredo sauce I made. It was a very strong tasting sauce so it may have overpowered any taste from the noodles. Tonight I just had them again but this time I had the fettucini ones and I didn't enjoy them as much as the spaghetti ones. The fettucini had a funnier texture. I had it with mussels in a NSA tomato sauce. Not bad, but the spaghetti ones with the other sauce was much better.

5factor....I get them at my local shoprite, but they just started carrying them. I've also seen them in a local asian farmers market type of store and I believe Trader Joe's also carries them. I am taking a trip to Trader Joe's sometime this week so I will let you know if I see them there.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #9  

Hi,

I have tried these and was not happy with them. But my friend said to dry them by frying in a hot pan. The key is rinsing and then drying. I thought the pan dry was a good way to go. I have not tried it yet, but I will. Let me know if you like it.
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #10  

I've been tempted to try them but have been worried about the things people have said about the smell. It is VERY easy for me to go off a food if it has a smell I don't like. Perhaps when I move on to Phase 2 I'll give them a try though, especially if I use a spicy sauce. If they are not supposed to emulate pasta, what are they supposed to be like?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
If they are not supposed to emulate pasta, what are they supposed to be like?
They take the place of pasta, but don't taste or feel like pasta. I use them as a satisfying filler and a vehicle for sauces.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #12  

Thanks Cottage. Sort of like how spagetti squash is not really like spagetti?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I made a quick lunch yesterday with a package of noodles, a package of CA mix veggies, 2 laughing cow wedges and a small spoonful of yogurt. I like to rinse and cut the noodles first then toss in boiling water. I added the veggies to the pot and brought the whole mess back to a boil. Drained it, back in the pan and mixed the LC wedges and yogurt stirring until it was all creamy. I had a wicked mac and cheese habit way back when and this fills that same comfort food craving for me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I made a quick lunch yesterday with a package of noodles, a package of CA mix veggies, 2 laughing cow wedges and a small spoonful of yogurt. I like to rinse and cut the noodles first then toss in boiling water. I added the veggies to the pot and brought the whole mess back to a boil. Drained it, back in the pan and mixed the LC wedges and yogurt stirring until it was all creamy. I had a wicked mac and cheese habit way back when and this satisfies that same comfort food craving for me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

I just found this thread about the Shirataki noodles and thought I'd add my two cents because I LOVE these noodles and use them all the time!

Everyone else is right about the rinsing and patting dry- those steps are a must! However, I also discovered that making the noodles a day in advance and letting them sit in the sauce helps TONS! The noodles work wonderfully in almost any Asian dish- just rinse, pat dry and toss them in the recipe, however, if you're making an Italian style dish, you should try letting them sit. Make them the night before you plan to eat them, after the recipe cools, stick it in the fridge until you're about an hour from eating. Put the recipe on simmer for about an hour. This makes the texture sooooo much better! The noodles lose some of that "springy" quality and they soak up the sauce a lot better.

Hope this helps those of you who want to love them. Long live the shirataki!

Last edited by Danielle2842; 04-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote