Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #1  

Smile 21 day liquid fast~~~~Challenge

Hey Chicks.......

Who is up for a 21 day liquid fast?

My mom is coming to see me in 6 weeks. I am STILL 60 pounds overweight.

I have to go BACK home (to see my husband) 2 weeks later and I STILL haven't lost a pound.

This 21 day fast is a challenge for myself. I want to DETOX my body and see some weight loss.

So, If you are up for the challenge get on board.

I can use all the help I can get and would love to see some others accomplish some DETOX and weight loss too.

Let's Do It TOGETHER
Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #2  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Umm... Maybe I am wrong, but this strikes me as an unhealthy way to try to lose weight unless you are very closely watched by a doctor. :
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I'll do it... If the liquid is wine
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #4  

Default Not a Diet

Bama girl~

This is not really a diet, but a DETOX plan and yes weight loss will occur.

Yes, it's a good idea to consult your physician with any questions or
concerns.

Shytowngal~

Unfortunately wine is one liquid I will have to do without. But, that's cute

Thanks for joining in.....Pinup

OH and BTW to you both for the weight loss!

Last edited by Pinup; 03-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Juice fasting isn't necessary. You can detox your body with plenty of liquids, fruits and vegetables. Your liver naturally detoxifies your body. Cut out chemicals, eat organic whole foods, and you'll be squeaky clean.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #6  

Default Thanks for your advice

Jennifer~

There is plenty of research to back up fasting. I hope you or anyone else joining me here would educate themselves "first" before diving in. There are tons of benefits to fasting that is why I have chosen it.

Yes there are other ways to DETOX, this is just one of them. Thanks for the advice.

And yes, Please see your physician before taking advice from ANYONE.

Keep moving forward

Last edited by Pinup; 03-15-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Pinup, I dived in here 12 years ago and I've done plenty of research. And I believe I was quite nice with my post and don't see where your snarky tone is coming from. My signature means that this is 3FC, not WebMD, and I nor anybody else here can give medical advice. It's a tongue in cheek disclaimer. If you have any more problems with my doing my job here, please feel free to send me a PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #8  

Default Never Snarky

Jennifer~

Congratulations for getting on board so long ago. It's always nice to have others along for the ride.

While you say juice fasting isn't necessary, it is beneficial.

Yes, you may think you were quite nice in your comment. Sharing your insights is great, but so is encouragement for what others are chosing to do.

Once again.....I strongly advice anyone to seek there own opinion and of course medical adivice about anything they decide to do.

~Never Snarky~
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #9  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Oh, MY! Where to start? So many thoughts!

Pinup, Jennifer 3FC is one of the originators of the board.

I have juice fasted in the past, water fasted, mono fasted, raw foods cleansed and more...I learned a lot doing each thing, but find that a sensible, livable, whole foods, balanced plant based way of eating works best for me (and my RD/Doctor and the rest of the team agree and support me!).

I do feel fasting and "cleansing" wasn't the best thing for my metabolism though.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #10  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

i just started a "detox diet" today but its a bit different. im planning on doing two weeks. i've cut out dairy, breads/pastas, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and im staying away from Tylenol and ibuprofen etc. im eating tons of vegetables, fruits, watered down cranberry juice (no sugar added), organic soups, green tea, lemon water, water, chicken, salmon, and eggs. i also started taking flaxseed oil. im also not adding salt to anything, mostly everything is all natural and organic .

i wanted to make sure that i would be eating enough so i wouldn't be significantly weakened like some will do and could still be active. so this plan works best for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #11  

Default Thanks again for everyone stopping by

Looks like we are getting off to a great start...

Passionista~
Nice to see someone stopping by that has given fasting a try. While I am opting for a 21 day fast it is not how I would be chosing to eat on a daily basis...Something more like Pinkalarmclocks choices would be great and yes I am aware of Jennifer's position,

Pinkalarmclock~
You are making some great choices. I am glad you found a plan that really works for you.

Congratulations to all of you for attempting to achieve a healthier, more positive lifestyle.

Keep stopping by and Never give up :0)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #12  
it's always something

Hi,

Fasting and detox are very controversial topics these days, especially the way so many alternative health sites and product marketers push them. Unfortunately their claims are not based on peer reviewed published studies and should be taken with a grain of salt.

The most well known and reputable doctors in the world tell us that our bodies naturally cleanse themselves and that detoxing is unnecessary and potentially dangerous. That our bodies don't accumulate toxins and if they did, you'd need a trip to the ER and not a fast or detox product. This would include people like Yale Medical School's Dr. David Katz and Dr. Oz. Dr Oz said that we need to consume enough fiber in our natural diets, and drink enough water, and that is all that it takes to keep our bodies naturally cleansed.

Juice fasting seems to be a hot topic, but also seems to be surrounded by inaccurate information all over the internet. It appears, though, that the risks outweigh any benefit.

For another opinion outside of 3FC, I would recommend reading this article on WebMD http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/d...ve-weight-loss

For a 'pro' opinion on fasting, Dr Weil says it is not for weight loss but you might benefit from an occasional one day fast with restrictions http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400178

I hope that helps explain our position on this type of diet and why we don't support it here.
Closed Thread