Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default greek yogurt?

so i noticed how alot of people where raving about greek yogarti decided to give it a whirl i had a container this morning (honey flavor ) with 1/2 cup special k and some sliced banana i will say i was stuffed to the max when i was done and for less than 300 calories it was creamy but super ... not tastey ( to me anyways ) what can i do to make it more enjoyable? any special add ins flavors or brands i should try??
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Can someone try to explain to me what is the difference between greek yogurt and plain yogurt? I am confused!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

i think there is more protien ... it definitley filled me up this morning i ate it around 10 i wasnt hungry until about 2 ... thats not like me im hungry all the time ... oh and its MUCH creamier it just wasnt very tastey in my opinion ...
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe try vanilla instead of plain?
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

I know what you mean! I bought some Yoplait Greek Yogurt about a month ago because I had heard such good things about it...it was even Strawberry and I couldn't choke it down. I just went back to regular ol' yogurt and am thinking that Greek yogurt just may not be my thing. I'd love to hear some suggestions of other brands though that may be better...
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I love this stuff! I like the kind with honey and I add berries to it. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of finely chopped walnuts to it. Sometimes I add some agave syrup if I want something really sweet. Bananas and walnuts are really good mixed together. I am not a big fan of adding cereal, but that is just me.

They also make chocolate flavored--yummy!

My favorite brand is Fage'. I hope I spelled that correctly. You can find it just about everywhere from Wal-mart to health food stores. Check out this site for flavors and recipes: http://www.fageusa.com/

Enjoy!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

lmao @ not being able to choke it down thats how i felt ok on to checking out the fage link! maybe its worth a second chance....
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #8  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Another vote here for fage. I also like chiobiani as a close second. I tried the yoplait one but I didn't like it much (it had strawberries mixed in and had a weird aftertaste). I'll admit it's not got the same taste as yogurt, more thick and creamy (kind of like sour cream).

The difference is it's thicker, has more protein, and the plain has less sugar vs. plain yogurt.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

ugh - I barely ate 1 teaspoon of it and then trashed...I so wanted to like it.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #10  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt that has had the whey removed and it's usually made with sheep's milk which gives it that tangy taste. It's really good with a crushed granola bar and honey. It sort of cuts the tartness of it. I just like it because it is thicker and creamier than regular to me and I just ADORE creamy stuff!! That is probably what helped me reach the weight I am at!! But at least it is ff and you can also use it to make dips and bake with it.

p.s. As much as I like it, I also tried the strawberry and didn't like it at all!! The best kind I have found is called Oikos sp? vanilla flavor and I get it at Wal-mart! It's flavored just right!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Chobani is AMAZING! I eat it daily! I love the strawberry, blueberry, and peach the best, oh and the strawberry banana, and the raspberry!! yummmm. They have a honey one too but I'm not much into honey, as well as a pomegranate, pineapple, and plain one. No need to add anything to it because they are delicious! They're all 140 calories (except for the strawberry banana and pineapple for 160), either low fat or no fat, and they have 14g of protein each!

Lol I swear I don't work for them or anything, I'm just obsessed. All of my friends joke that I should be their spokesperson lol!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #12  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinmintintraining View Post
Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt that has had the whey removed and it's usually made with sheep's milk which gives it that tangy taste.
Before we scare anyone off who hasn't tried it...most commercial varieties ( Stoneyfield, Oikos, Trader Joe's, Horizon) in the US are made with cow's milk.

I prefer the Greek style over regular especially the organic kind. I eat it plain but like it with a packet of splenda and some strawberries or a banana.

It is different from regular yogurt for two reasons:

1. Greek yogurt is a blend of cream and milk, so it has a much higher percentage of milk fat (butterfat)—any where from 4% to 10%, compared to regular whole milk yogurts that generally don’t exceed 3.5% milk fat.

2. Greek yogurt is also strained. Straining removes more water from the yogurt, making it more dense, firm and creamy.

Make sure you get 2% or fat free as regular Greek style yogurt has more calories and more fat than regular yogurt; however, it also has more protein 12 grams per 8 0z serving

Here is what Weight Watchers suggests regarding Greek Style yogurt.

http://aka.weightwatchers.co.uk/util...rticleID=20031
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #13  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

I would never eat greek yogurt straight up -- it's WAY too tangy and yogurty for me, but I still use it all the time. I mix a big blob into eggbeaters to up the protein count and make them creamier, and I use it as a sandwich spread instead of mayo and on top of beans or a potato instead of sour cream. As long as I'm eating it with something else, I really like it, and the tanginess isn't an issue. I get the fat free (usually Fage brand). It's a bargain in terms of calories -- only 7.5 calories per tablespoon.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I love the Chobani pinapple one! And oikos makes one with caramel that I eat as a desert. You have to mix it up well, but it is sweet and creamy, and feels like a treat without throwing my day away!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

I was actually in Safeway (in Canada) looking for Greek yogurt and wasn't finding any! Kinda funny I stumbled upon this thread! Can anyone please tell me somewhere in Canada, specifically Edmonton?, where I could find it?
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote