100 lb. Club - greek yogurt?

View Full Version : greek yogurt?

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
so i noticed how alot of people where raving about greek yogarti decided to give it a whirl i had a container this morning (honey flavor ) with 1/2 cup special k and some sliced banana i will say i was stuffed to the max when i was done and for less than 300 calories it was creamy but super ... not tastey ( to me anyways ) what can i do to make it more enjoyable? any special add ins flavors or brands i should try??

cathydoe
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Can someone try to explain to me what is the difference between greek yogurt and plain yogurt? I am confused!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
i think there is more protien ... it definitley filled me up this morning i ate it around 10 i wasnt hungry until about 2 ... thats not like me im hungry all the time ... oh and its MUCH creamier it just wasnt very tastey in my opinion ...

ChrissyBean
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Maybe try vanilla instead of plain?

brandijune44
03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I know what you mean! I bought some Yoplait Greek Yogurt about a month ago because I had heard such good things about it...it was even Strawberry and I couldn't choke it down. I just went back to regular ol' yogurt and am thinking that Greek yogurt just may not be my thing. I'd love to hear some suggestions of other brands though that may be better...

ANewCreation
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I love this stuff! I like the kind with honey and I add berries to it. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of finely chopped walnuts to it. Sometimes I add some agave syrup if I want something really sweet. Bananas and walnuts are really good mixed together. I am not a big fan of adding cereal, but that is just me.

They also make chocolate flavored--yummy!

My favorite brand is Fage'. I hope I spelled that correctly. You can find it just about everywhere from Wal-mart to health food stores. Check out this site for flavors and recipes: http://www.fageusa.com/

Enjoy!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
lmao @ not being able to choke it down thats how i felt ok on to checking out the fage link! maybe its worth a second chance....

sprklemajik
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Another vote here for fage. I also like chiobiani as a close second. I tried the yoplait one but I didn't like it much (it had strawberries mixed in and had a weird aftertaste). I'll admit it's not got the same taste as yogurt, more thick and creamy (kind of like sour cream).

The difference is it's thicker, has more protein, and the plain has less sugar vs. plain yogurt.

lights76
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
ugh - I barely ate 1 teaspoon of it and then trashed...I so wanted to like it.

thinmintintraining
03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt that has had the whey removed and it's usually made with sheep's milk which gives it that tangy taste. It's really good with a crushed granola bar and honey. It sort of cuts the tartness of it. I just like it because it is thicker and creamier than regular to me and I just ADORE creamy stuff!! That is probably what helped me reach the weight I am at!! But at least it is ff and you can also use it to make dips and bake with it.

p.s. As much as I like it, I also tried the strawberry and didn't like it at all!! The best kind I have found is called Oikos sp? vanilla flavor and I get it at Wal-mart! It's flavored just right!

jkinboston89
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Chobani is AMAZING! I eat it daily! I love the strawberry, blueberry, and peach the best, oh and the strawberry banana, and the raspberry!! yummmm. They have a honey one too but I'm not much into honey, as well as a pomegranate, pineapple, and plain one. No need to add anything to it because they are delicious! They're all 140 calories (except for the strawberry banana and pineapple for 160), either low fat or no fat, and they have 14g of protein each!

Lol I swear I don't work for them or anything, I'm just obsessed. All of my friends joke that I should be their spokesperson lol!

Michelle98272
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt that has had the whey removed and it's usually made with sheep's milk which gives it that tangy taste.

Before we scare anyone off who hasn't tried it...most commercial varieties ( Stoneyfield, Oikos, Trader Joe's, Horizon) in the US are made with cow's milk.

I prefer the Greek style over regular especially the organic kind. I eat it plain but like it with a packet of splenda and some strawberries or a banana.

It is different from regular yogurt for two reasons:

1. Greek yogurt is a blend of cream and milk, so it has a much higher percentage of milk fat (butterfat)óany where from 4% to 10%, compared to regular whole milk yogurts that generally donít exceed 3.5% milk fat.

2. Greek yogurt is also strained. Straining removes more water from the yogurt, making it more dense, firm and creamy.

Make sure you get 2% or fat free as regular Greek style yogurt has more calories and more fat than regular yogurt; however, it also has more protein 12 grams per 8 0z serving

Here is what Weight Watchers suggests regarding Greek Style yogurt.

http://aka.weightwatchers.co.uk/util/prt/article.aspx?articleID=20031

Cotinga
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I would never eat greek yogurt straight up -- it's WAY too tangy and yogurty for me, but I still use it all the time. I mix a big blob into eggbeaters to up the protein count and make them creamier, and I use it as a sandwich spread instead of mayo and on top of beans or a potato instead of sour cream. As long as I'm eating it with something else, I really like it, and the tanginess isn't an issue. I get the fat free (usually Fage brand). It's a bargain in terms of calories -- only 7.5 calories per tablespoon.

beachlover86
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I love the Chobani pinapple one! And oikos makes one with caramel that I eat as a desert. You have to mix it up well, but it is sweet and creamy, and feels like a treat without throwing my day away!

5factorgirl
03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I was actually in Safeway (in Canada) looking for Greek yogurt and wasn't finding any! Kinda funny I stumbled upon this thread! Can anyone please tell me somewhere in Canada, specifically Edmonton?, where I could find it?

TJFitnessDiva
03-15-2010, 11:30 PM
it's taken me a few tries but I do like the Chobani strawberry :) The texture was a bit weird for me....I liked the taste but it was just that texture!

It's been really helpful to keep me from eating like crazy....I've been getting kinda bad :lol:

thinmintintraining
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Wow, I hadn't really checked on it as far as sheep's or cow's milk! I just assumed because that it what I had read. I do however know that I have been getting the non-fat kind so that makes me feel better :) The only kind I can find besides the Food Lion brand is the Oikos that I get at Wal-mart. I haven't even heard of the other brands. I'm sure each brand probably has a different taste. I will have to keep searching!! Thanks for the info!

pokeycactus
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm trying my first container right now...I have the Oikos with honey one.

Question when you open the carton, is it supposed to look a little separated? Kind of like how sour cream separates? There are also small chunks of I-don't-know-what in it...is that normal? I've never had it before, so I'm scared of eating a gone-bad carton of it. It certainly tastes odd.

wendyland
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I didn't like the Oikos brand. I LOVE fage. I usually buy 2%, plain. I add in a little sugar, cinnamon, blueberries or raspberries.

It does separate like sour cream. I just drain it off. I also use it in recipes sometimes in place of sour cream. I add a little to my mashed potatoes.

pokeycactus
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll definitely try Fage...I just finished the Oikos one. It was weird, but by the end, I was starting to get more used to it. I'm going to try adding stuff, just the honey on the bottom of the carton wasn't enough to cut the bizarre taste.

ShylahEQ
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
i've never had greek yogurt with fruit, but I love it with olives, some crusty bread or pita and some feta cheese. doesn't sound very low fat, but it's tasty. lol

Nada
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Fage is the best but Oikos has been on sale so I have that in my fridge now. I'm weird I prefer it plain.

Michelle98272
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
It does separate like sour cream. I just drain it off.

Eeek!

Instead of draining it off, stir it back in! The watery looking stuff is the whey and is THE best part of the yogurt in terms of probiotics and protein. Whey is the whey protein that separates from the yogurt and resembles a watery liquid. This protein is so good for the body. Whey delivers essential amino acids that your body needs but can only be found in high-protein ingredients.

pokeycactus
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL I had already stirred it in and was eating it when I read that she suggested pouring it off...I was like, oh no! :)

But I'll keep stirring instead.

wendyland
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Eeek!

Instead of draining it off, stir it back in! The watery looking stuff is the whey and is THE best part of the yogurt in terms of probiotics and protein. Whey is the whey protein that separates from the yogurt and resembles a watery liquid. This protein is so good for the body. Whey delivers essential amino acids that your body needs but can only be found in high-protein ingredients.

OOps. I poured it off because I thought it was just water and it looked gross. I'll stir it next time. Thanks!!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
omg yes this would be good with olives sundried tomatoes and pita bread ... i will try it that way !! .... i didnt know what the watery part on top was either ... i also threw it away ... i will make certain i dont do that next time !

gina1221
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Chobani pineapple is definitely my favorite... Chobani overall. The Trader Joe's brand in Mango Apricot is really good too. I've also tried Fage, Oikos, and Dannon Greek... Chobani is still my favorite.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, the Oikos Chocolate, I think is terrible. I actually threw out 2 of the 4 containers.

zamzam
03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I love Greek Yogurt. There is a brand called Greek with symbols and stuff, LOL! I usually buy at Cub foods. I like the honey brand because it tastes just like ice cream and I sometimes cut the serving in half( a full serving is 160)and add chopped walnuts, YUM!! I feel kind of guilty afterwards.

5factorgirl
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Don't you love foods like that where you don't feel like you are dieting at all and in fact feel kinda guilty afterwards like you cheated but really it's very healthy and low fat!!!

zamzam
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah! LOL! The other night I baked a small chicken breast stuffed with veggies and spices. And I had it with a low-carb, low calorie, high fiber spinach wrap. As I was eating my 300calorie chicken wrap, I had a moment of pure satisfaction. Who knew you could eat delicious healthy food and be healthy?

saef
03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I must have a different palate from most of you, because I love the sour tang of yogurt. I don't need to mix anything on it. Often I use it as a topping on fruit, like a whipped cream. I never buy it flavored.

And I'm not alone in this passion. When Fage goes on sale in my small local grocery store, I have to get there the first day, or they're out every day throughout the sale. That stuff is like gold to all the yogurt-eating ladies around town & there is a run on it anytime the price drops.

No wonder every single yogurt manufacturer in the dairy case seems to have introduced a Greek variant over the past year & a half.

Maybe I adore this stuff so much because I no longer eat ice cream of any kind.

Note to friends & family: Don't buy me goodies for my birthday. No chocolates, no cake. Buy me a quart of Fage Zero. Or two, if you feel generous.

birdtostone
03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I tried the Fage 2% the other day. It took a bit for me to get used to the taste, after that I livened it up with some walnuts and rasberries. Considering the fact that it kept me full all through the morning and I didn't eat the rest of it till lunch with an avocado on the side, I'll say I don't feel guilty at all about adding the extras.

I tried Dannon Greek Honey today, but it's not as good as Fage and I like the plain better.

Does the 0% Fage have a different taste than the 2%?

StellarGirl
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
I love love love FAGE!!! I get the 0% plain and spread it on multigrain toast like cream cheese. Then I dot with berries-- yum yum yum yum!
A container of Fage is also a great snack with just a bit of low sugar maple sugar-less calories than honey!

lovemyboy
03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I have been buying the Greek Gods brand and I like it. It is thick and tasty. I put a drop of agave nectar in the plain and enjoy. It is the lowest carb way to enjoy yogurt and enjoy it I do. Yum!

Ten Years
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
My vote is also for Fage 0. I love the tangy bite and the solid feel to it but I can see where it would be an acquired taste. I just read some yogurt reviews and of course they mention stay away from the full-fat, flavoried varieties. There was one, I think it was Greek Gods pomegranate, that had more fat and sugar and calories than a Snickers bar.

guinea pig
03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Stonyfield oikos plain greek yogurt is what I eat when I feel that I might binge because it's so disgusting it takes away any cravings I might have had.

JustBeckyV
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Hmm -- I just bought 2 things of it yoplait brand and now am worried lol

bythenumbers
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Thank you Thank You THANK YOU for this post. I don't like regular yogurt. I have forced it down on occasion because it was good for me, thinking I will get to the point where I like it, but never lasts that long.

So, I read "greek yogurt" and wondered if it has the same taste as tezeeke (spelled as it sounds and NOT correct :) ) they put on gyros (love love love). It does!

So today I bought a tub, they didn't have the Fage, but they did have oikos. It is like eating sour cream...ummmmm. I sweetened it a bit and am eating it with pineapple...... I am in heaven!
Tomorrow: mixing with fresh herbs and making a creamy cucumber salad.... can't wait!

Thanks again!

c_laura
03-22-2010, 12:55 AM
this is nteresting...I may have to try some myself now.

Daimere
03-23-2010, 05:33 AM
I tried chobani and fage/oinkos. I couldn't stand them. I kept trying them cause I know everyone here LOVES them. Then, I saw Dannon has a greek yogurt fat free now. OMG now I LOVE greek yogurt. It wasn't as tangy as the others. ^_^ I've been eating it with my lunch and loving it.