Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default discouraged but at least I'll save money

I bit the bullet and went through the boxes of clothing I have packed away to just see what was in there. I really, truly did not remember being THAT small, and it wasn't all that long ago either - I know I wore a lot of these clothes since my son was born, and he's not even 6 yet.

I thought I recalled my lowest recent (last 10 years or so) weight as 214 but I'm not much more than 10 lbs more than that - I was 226 even this morning. And there is no way on earth these clothes are gonna fit in 10 or even 15 more pounds. Possibly 25-30 more lbs, I HOPE!!!

I guess the only bright spot is that it looks like I will have a whole new FREE wardrobe once I hit Onederland, or at least I hope they'll FINALLY fit by then! They are 16s and XLs so I don't think I'm crazy thinking they might. But I am a lot further away from them fitting than I ever imagined.

The other kind of funny thing is that I thought I looked great when I was that size, and I'm sure I didn't look awful. But I still plan to shrink out of all of it, every last piece, and hopefully by a few sizes, too!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I did that recently but only kept one box of things I really like in the next size down. Everything else I gave away because I don't have a lot of room in my closet to be storing extras. Lately I'm considering just giving even the last box away except 1 or 2 dresses that have sentimental value.

Strangely, it was encouraging to purge, rather than discouraging.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
I did that recently but only kept one box of things I really like in the next size down. Everything else I gave away because I don't have a lot of room in my closet to be storing extras. Lately I'm considering just giving even the last box away expect 1 or 2 dresses that have sentimental value.

Strangely, it was encouraging to purge, rather than discouraging.

A.
I'm confused - you purged all the clothing you had that is currently too small? Do you plan to buy new things at each new size as you lose weight?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #4  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

My closet is the samples section. There are a few pieces from almost every size down to a 14. I used to have a lot of clothes smaller than that, but gave it away a few years ago. I figured it would be outdated by the time I could wear it again and that if I ever saw those sizes again, I'd like to have new clothes.

I have some that are the same, Peanuts, I thought they would fit by now because my memory is telling me that my weight was similar the last time I wore them. Evidently not. Like you, I will hold on to them and have them for some day soon. I have a feeling I wore them at a higher weight than I should have and even that is a bit lower than where I am. My weight changed around so much there for awhile that it's hard to remember what/when and how.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #5  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

I am pulling out clothes that are getting to big but I am still afraid to get out my smaller clothes box. When I lost weight last time I was below my wedding weight and tried on my dress. I was disappointed, it was a long way from fitting. I realized that after having babies my weight has shifted.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I'm confused - you purged all the clothing you had that is currently too small? Do you plan to buy new things at each new size as you lose weight?
Yep. Take in/trade/buy new. Special things I kept, but jeans are jeans, and I don't have the space to be storing "basics" like that.

I had done it the other way in the past -- keeping everything but it just felt too demoralizing to open the closet daily and see how much I had I COULD NOT wear -- the "could not wear" was more than the "wear right now!"

This time I made sure I had plenty of things that fit me RIGHT NOW and only kept one box of things to shrink down to.

I like it better that any time I want I can open the closet and everything except one box down in the corner will fit and flatter right now.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-13-2010 at 09:23 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

How much weight training are you doing? Muscle tone will make a big difference in how soon you can fit into smaller sizes. I'm wearing two sizes smaller at this weight than I was at the same weight when I was in high school/college, all because I weight train so much now.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #8  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Me too!

In the past, as I lost weight, I gave away my fat clothes but have always held onto my smaller sized (within reason....I finally threw out my size 10 awesome looking dress from 1989 LOL It was just too dated to ever wear again!)

I have a closet full of 1X stuff that I will (hopefully) soon be back into. Luckily they were from only 12-18 months ago, so it won't be too much of a fashion mess up to wear them!! I haven't been below 200 in about 10 years so I don't have any of the much smaller sizes to fit back into. Atleast I have stuff for the 1X size before I shrink back into the regular sizes!!

Ahhh....this is a great post! I love to re-visit the things that remind me to keep up the effort to finally get healthy!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I would throw it all out! Part of the joy of losing weight and becoming a new you is the thrill of buying new clothes! I shop at Goodwill, Salvation Army, various thrift shops so I do not have to pay lots of money to look nice. I've also learned that my taste and sense of style has changed over time.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #10  

I would happily wear all the clothes I have - while they aren't new, they are pretty basic styles and not really a whole lot different from what I wear now.

I do really look forward to buying new things once I get too small to wear what I have now - I may have a few things that are 14s or size large, but once I get there and below, I will definitely need to buy some stuff.

And my ultimate goal is that every single item of clothing I currently own has to be discarded because it's too big. But even with over 35 lbs lost, there isn't really too much that fits that category yet. Some things are starting to get a little big, but to the point that I can't wear them yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
How much weight training are you doing? Muscle tone will make a big difference in how soon you can fit into smaller sizes. I'm wearing two sizes smaller at this weight than I was at the same weight when I was in high school/college, all because I weight train so much now.
I wasn't doing strength training before when I was fitting into those clothes so I don't quite understand why they are so much smaller now at what I thought was not that much of a higher weight. Maybe I was lower and I blocked it out of my head? lol!

I'm sure I could do more strength training, though! I try to do a bit with handweights but I don't have the ability to go to a gym.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Yep. Take in/trade/buy new. Special things I kept, but jeans are jeans, and I don't have the space to be storing "basics" like that.

I had done it the other way in the past -- keeping everything but it just felt too demoralizing to open the closet daily and see how much I had I COULD NOT wear -- the "could not wear" was more than the "wear right now!"

This time I made sure I had plenty of things that fit me RIGHT NOW and only kept one box of things to shrink down to.

I like it better that any time I want I can open the closet and everything except one box down in the corner will fit and flatter right now.

A.
That's so totally my viewpoint too! I would so much rather trade in or buy new than keep wearing old clothes. If I loose enough weight to be wearing new clothes I want to be able to go through the fun of trying them on and finding clothes looking great on me! That's one of the reasons I really want to lose weight! I hate how I look! So, I don't keep ANY smaller clothes to eventually fit into!
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

PeanutsMom704 ,
You will be so glad that you saved those clothes that are too small now. It is so much fun and exciting to shop in your closet as you lose weight. I found it so encouraging even when my clothes were too out of date to wear. Just be sure to try them on often enough. I would try some piece of clothing on sometimes thinking that it would still be too small but find out that it was too big!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
PeanutsMom704 ,
You will be so glad that you saved those clothes that are too small now. It is so much fun and exciting to shop in your closet as you lose weight. I found it so encouraging even when my clothes were too out of date to wear. Just be sure to try them on often enough. I would try some piece of clothing on sometimes thinking that it would still be too small but find out that it was too big!
I have a ridiculous amount of clothing and not a lot of closet space so I'm sure I'm going to end up missing some things that are still packed away. Hopefully, I'll be able to start purging bigger stuff soon and have a little bit more room to unpack and organize.

I did pull out my inspiration jeans though - a pair of non-stretch Victoria Secret size 16 jeans. those are less forgiving than pretty much anything else, and once they fit comfortably, that will probably mean that it's time to ditch just about everything and start fresh with all new stuff in smaller sizes!

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 03-14-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

We all think of these things at the same time! I went down to the storage room in the basement just yesterday to see where I stand. All my 18's are bagging and hanging so I went down to try some 16's. They all fit! The jeans are a little tight for me yet - I'm an old lady no matter what size and tight is not good - but the slacks are all fine. Also, the scrub pants I bought 6 months ago on-line that were too tight fit great. I love shopping in my own house! Slacks and scrubs are all in the washer and dryer right now and the too big stuff is in a bag to go to the Salvation Army. Too small clothes get to stay, too big clothes have to go. Not going back that direction again!

I, too, am looking forward to getting smaller than my small stuff. I love to shop! I love it when I can buy what I like instead of just buying what fits.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote