100 lb. Club - Starting C25K. Anyone with me??

View Full Version : Starting C25K. Anyone with me??

BeachBreeze2010
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Because of my ankle injury last fall, I have been afraid to run. So, I made a deal with myself that when I got to Onederland, I would start again. I have been riding my exercise bike 4 to 5 nights a week at a good pace, but I am most certainly NOT a cardio athlete. I am still scared I will hurt myself, but I have dr okay to start.

I would like to run some of the Komen Race for the Cure, which is in Columbus in early May.

I found the program at cool running. For those of you that have/are doing this program - is that the best place to go to get the routine? Please give m feedback on the program.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread for those of us that want to do it to cheer each other on.

Will you join me??

matt_H
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I did the program and its excellent! I ran several 5K races so far. Yes, the cool running website is the best place to get the description of the program. If you have an iPod (which I don't have) I'm told there are excellent music downloads designed with the program. For example, the music is timed with the running times and there is like a narrator encouraging you on..

Please don't get discouraged and give up. There will be days when doing the runs seem very difficult, but there will be other days that you will surprise yourself at how awesome you did!

Don't worry about running fast. If the runs are difficult, go slower. The most important thing is time and not speed. Over time, the speed will get there, but right now just jog really slow.

calluna
03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I was going to. Between snow melt and new snow and subzero temps, the spring is pretty chancy and I thought I'd wait until April. I could be persuaded, though.

birdtostone
03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
That's what I've decided to do! I've managed to work it in around some other workouts and I'm actually scheduled to start later today!

I've always hated running, but I like it more than sitting on the excercise bike in the house and riding my bike outside makes my bum uber sore, so I'm throwing it in for some variation.

I also got my schedule from cool running. I've decided to take my dog with me as well. It's SO motivating when I'm not by myself. LOL.

When are you going to start?

BeachBreeze2010
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks Matt. :) I do have an iPod. I will look in the itunes store for the routine. That's a GREAT idea!! Thanks for the encouragement! As long as my ankle doesn't relapse, I am determined. A very determined snail. At 5'1", not much happens too quickly. LOL!

calluna - I hear ya! We are just starting to get nice weather. Spring fever is definitely part of my motivation. Just getting outside is going to be great! I will probably take longer than the 9 weeks, so hop in anytime you can! Pleeeeaassseee! :D

Birdstone - Me too! Tonight when I get home before dinner. I will lace up the NB and go for it.

I have a HRM watch that I will take with me. I can use it to watch the intervals until i download the iPod plan.

Everlasting
03-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I was going to start the program last week, then I got shin splints! I want to do it though, so I'll be in with you! I'll make my first run this afternoon. Congrats on getting down to 199! I'll be there soon I hope!

birdtostone
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Hmm, I'll definitely have to look into the Ipod routine as well seeing as I have no watch! I know my ipod has pacemaker or something in it though, so I'll see what I can manage until then.

I have a weak ankle as well. I landed on it, quite literally, when I was in the ninth grade and it's never been the same. So sometimes it goes out on me. I'm definitely hoping this will help strengthen it as opposed to the opposite.

BeachBreeze2010
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Workout #1 FINISHED!!! WOOHOO!! I rock!

So, I downloaded the podcasts before I started out and I am sooo glad I did. I loved them!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Matt for hooking me up there! (They were free, too!)

I started out with the 5 minute walk and felt great. The 60 second intervals thankfully ended each time I thought I was going to die. I also was surprised that I recovered completely during the 90 second intervals. He said I was supposed to be able to carry on a conversation and not be out of breath. Whatever! I was sucking wind so badly I thought I was going to die during those 60 seconds. I might need to stay on week one for a couple of weeks.

When it was over, I felt like a champion! The endorphins had kicked in and I decided to take a victory lap (walking) around the block before going home. It felt so amazing to be out in the night with the breeze. I loved the time to myself to think and reflect, too. I can definitely see why people get hooked on this!

Just before the last turn to go home, my achilles started aching. No biggie, I thought, I will just stretch really well when I get in. A few steps later, my @#$#% peroneal starts aching like a biznitch. I got home still feeling amazing for the accomplishment, but I learned a lesson.

As I sit here with ice on my ankle and some Advil freshly in my system, I solemnly promise that next time I will:

1) Pre-medicate with Advil
2) Wear my orthotic - doh forgot that tonight!
3) Wear a sports bra
4) No more victory laps for a while
5) I will continue with my stationary bike in between

And the last part - I am now a runner! A running snail, but a runner! Whoda thunk that one?! :D

Primm
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Well done on starting! Can I make a few suggestions?

On the sucking wind thing, if this is happening, slow down. I know you feel like you're going as slowly as possible, but it's always possible to slow down more. When I started I think I was possibly jogging slower than I was walking!

Don't get over-excited. The program has a great reputation because it works. As written. Make sure you have your rest days even if you feel like you could do more. I know a few people who've got injured doing this program, but they've always (without exception) been trying to do too much too soon.

Keep moving. If you can do the last day, you can do the next day. Lots of people have repeated days and weeks because they don't feel confident about moving up to the next level. My thought on this is, give it a go. If you honestly can't do it you can move backwards for a week. But you'll more than likely surprise yourself.

Related to the above, it's not meant to be easy. It's meant to stretch and challenge you. If you aren't constantly working outside your comfort zone, you won't improve. You may not be able to run 5k by the end, but you'll be able to run for 30 minutes continuously. And that's more than most people in the community.

And you're right, you ARE a runner! It's a great feeling isn't it? With that attitude, you'll be running 5ks in no time at all.

traci in training
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Count me in. I've been riding my bike on the trainer in the basement, but that won't get me to onederland by the end of the month. The only way to get there by then is to interval - so it might as well be on the c25k format.

Not to be a total dipstick, but can I download the tunes onto an mp3 player that isn't an ipod? DH always does that stuff but I'd kind of like to get through the program "undercover". He's such a runner and he would get an absolute kick out of me being able to run a 5k with him without realizing I'd trained to get there. Corny, I know, but we have a good time suprising each other with oddness!

birdtostone
03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I just finished mine as well! How exciting is this?!

I have to say that I am so stoked about this after being able to complete it. I am a MAJOR time watcher, so the intervals are fantastic! Just when I think I can't run for another second, I don't have to! Haha. 40 seconds seemed to be the time that I always caught the clock on, which wasn't too bad considering I could tell myself to knock off my crap and keep running for twenty more seconds.

I too am a SLOW runner, so I'm right there with you. I've always hated running, like I said, but I feel like if there is any way to get a person going with running, this is definitely it.

I've always been jeeved about running outside. I get that paranoid feeling. I was also not looking forward to running in the rain tonight, as it's been on and off all day and right before I went running it had been raining. BUT! The rain completely stopped for the entire time I was running. Talk about some divine intervention. I feel like someone other than myself thought I needed to get off my butt. LOL. Not only that, but I had to run at night and that completely solved my "people are watching me" paranoia.

I guess running isn't so bad after all. :]

And YES! We are now runners! What an amazing feeling!

kuchick
03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Okay - I can't join in immediately since my kids are on spring break and DFS is of the opinion that I'm responsible for them, but once they're back in school, I'm out there! If I can get my foot to cooperate, then I'm going to be a runner.

ubergirl
03-13-2010, 12:18 AM
I am currently on W6D1 although unfortunately I pulled a muscle yesterday during my personal training session so I may have to take a few days off.

WildThings
03-13-2010, 12:28 AM
I did the C25K program last summer and loved it. I ran my first 5K in November and finished in 35 minutes. Unfortunately, my entire plan unraveled over the holidays so here I am 3 months later trying to get back into things. I am not doing the C25K program this time, just going as far as I can, then taking a quick walk break. I really like the C25K program though. When you start getting into the longer running stints, don't overthink them. I would go out thinking there was no way I could ever run 8-, 10- 20- minute stints, but once I was out there and moving, there was no way I was not going to run the full time. I did repeat 2 different weeks in the middle, I got busy so didn't get all my runs in for the week and just simply was not ready to move on. There is no shame in repeating weeks. I think it's better to repeat a week here and there than it would be to over do it and get burned out. Good luck to everyone starting out and Beachbreeze, I may see you at the race in May.

Crushed
03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I just started C25K last week. I'd love to join you! I feel like a superstar actually running, but I agree with Primm. I could probably walk faster than I am currently running. But who cares! It's still running!

I downloaded podcasts from runningintoshape.com and I love the music that they used. It makes the 30 minutes go by fast.

Joni

astrophe
03-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I've liked jeff galloway more than the cool running or hal higdon.

http://jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

I just liked the minutes breakout instead of the miles. The only time I had to worry about miles was the last day. Made it easier to deal with walking around outdoors to go with minutes.

I've only walked in races -- never run though.

GL!

A.

Primm
03-13-2010, 01:07 AM
The C25K is minutes, not miles. Actually there is a distance based one, but no-one I know has ever used this. There are a few other programs out there that get you up and running 5km from a couch potato base, but none of them are C25K.

BeachBreeze2010
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
WOW! I am so excited to see all of you here! YAY!!

WildThings - I was thankful for the break in rain last night. I wasn't sure if I was going to get it in. It was such a beautiful night. Do you run in your neighborhood or go out to the Ponds? It looks like there is another track I see when I take Tussing towards 256. It was under construction forever, but I saw people on it a few days ago. I am not sure how to get on it. Do you know? I am just doing the neighborhood thing for now. Stoked to have a fellow Picktown-er on 3FC!

Primm - Thanks for the advice! Yes, I am running v-e-r-y slow. I will try to slow down some. My cardio fitness will catch up at some point. I am not sure that I could slow down much. I'm okay. Like birdtostone, the 60 seconds ends in the perfect amount of time.

Birdtostone - YAY! Congrats! I hear ya on the paranoid thing. I like to exercise in the late evening - even later than when I went out last night. It's a quiet time and not too many others are out. It's just like the gym, if anyone is looking at me, I hope they are feeling positive about me out there doing something about it.

uber - I'm sorry to hear about the injury! Feel better soon. I notice some movement on your ticker! :)

Crushed - Hi there! Thanks for joining! We'll be up to speed in no time!

ku - Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. Kids, responsibility, whatever! Just let some rattlers loose to keep 'em busy (Vegas Vacation) LOL! No prob! I will still be here. I am not sure about the 9 week part, so hop in whenever you can.

Traci - Hi there! Yeah, there was a link on the website to download them. I tried to do that first, and had trouble getting iTunes to recognize it so I just went directly to the iTunes store. Here's the generic link. I bet you could download the podcasts here and then sync them with your mp3player. I had a zune and its software is so overpowering that it wants to "take" anything I upload so I have to go direct to iTunes. I would imagine that you won't have that problem. http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/
I look forward to seeing your updates!

Rest day for me will be an hour on my stationary bike. I am a bit sore today and I slept like a baby last night.

PrettyPearls
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Goodmorning everyone.

I just finished W5D3 this morning and it's a killer (to me because I was a true couch potatoe)!!! BUT I did it and am very excited about it.

I know that some of you are just starting and some have been running but I would like to join in to help keep everyone (including myself) motivated!!!
Tomorrow morning I'm doing a practice 10K (walk/run) along the beach in Mississippi and then taking off til Tuesday when I will start my W6D1.

I have signed up for a 10K on April 3rd (should have done a 5K first) but time just does not permit.. I'm going to be doing a lot of walking for the 10K but hope to start running 5K's very soon!!

Let's get it guys!!!

lavieboheme73
03-13-2010, 09:06 PM
How cool is this? A C25K with PARTICIPANTS!! I'm working with the 300+ board, but it's kind of fading out. Does anyone mind if I crash your board?

I'm using the Beginner Triathlete's 7 month Couch to 5K:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27&printer=1

I find that, so far, now that I'm back from my own ankle injury, it's been very manageable for me and fits right into my schedule without too much jockeying around. I have plans to WALK a couple of 5K's in April and August, with the one I run being in late September. That one's special. It's for an agency that assists Deaf and Hard of Hearing people in Kansas City, where I'm from. I have a 16-year-old daughter who has been Deaf from birth, so it's close to my heart. I figured I couldn't get better motivation than that! :)

BeachBreeze2010
03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
lavieboheme - Welcome, welcome! So glad to have you here! What a wonderful motivation! Does your plan break up the intervals or do you literally walk for the specified time and then run for the specified time? Maybe you can choose your intervals?

Pretty Pearls - I would l-o-v-e to exercise on the beach. Too cool!

Tomorrow is Day 2. I am psyching myself up for it. No residual ankle pain today, so I think I will be okay tomorrow that way.

Let's do this!! Go us!! :cheer2:

Jessica88
03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey I will definitely join you! I did my first day of the program tonight and it went great! I hope to keep it up!

slimsilhouette2b
03-14-2010, 12:06 AM
I have been wanting to do this too. Can you tell me which podcast you downloaded? I searched it and was overwhelmed with the options. I haven't done anything with podcasts yet so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

I'm trying to find somewhere close by to walk/run. My neighborhood is unacceptable for it.

PrettyPearls
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Slims,

I'm not sure about the others, but I have an ipod touch and an iphone so I downloaded mine for $2.99 from iTunes (they do have a free podcast download online at the c25K site) but iTunes puts it all together and makes it compatibale with my Nike+ shoes and music.

Does anyone else use the Nike+ shoes?? I LOVE MINE!!! I'm actually looking to get another pair for my birthday in June!! I bought my first pair in January when I decided to get off the sofa and start moving!! I'm also using a body bugg!! This journey is going to be long, but if anything; I'm prepared!!!

Okay, lets see if its warm enough for me to do this 10K

BeachBreeze2010
03-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Slim - I found it for free on iTunes - no Nike part, though. I went ahead and downloaded all 9 and just plan the week that I am on. For non-iPod, there is a link further up in the thread. For iTunes, search "couch to 5K", then click on the Robert Ullrey picture and you'll see the breakout of all of the podcasts. I tried to do a screen paste, but I can't. If you have trouble, pm me and I will email you the screen print.

:welcome: Jessica! You'll keep it up! ;) We'll be here cheering you on! :cheer2:

So, my day 2 report:

I went out early because it's supposed to rain all day. I also brough my 9 year old daughter with me. I don't know if it's the time of day, having the pleasant distraction or a teensy bit of progress from day 1, but it was easier today!! YAY! Not, easy, but easier. I kept to my promises and had only a little bit of achilles pain at the end. And I will say that my sports bra is worth its weight in gold! Wow! I bought it last year just for walking, but those puppies didn't dance at all during the run and I was completely comfortable!! (Other than the obvious cardio struggle, of course! LOL!) I am just really, really excited that I have been able to do it and without ankle pain. I was pretty worried Friday that it wouldn't be possible after all. I really think this is going to happen!! :woohoo:

Great Job Ladies!! Keep up the GREAT work! :cheer2: :carrot:

birdtostone
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Welcome everyone! Glad to see more participants.

I had a rough day yesterday. I was not in a great mood due to a certain "higher" at my job yesterday and it really didn't get better when I got home.
I almost forgot that I had a run to do, but I finally remembered and went out despite it all. I ended up feeling completely displaced afterwards. I felt very bodyless. Is that what they call a runner's high? It didn't hit while I was running, but afterwards. It was like I was aware that I was angry but I didn't care enough to linger on it then.

Much better day today! Thank goodness. My next run date is on a wednesday though. I have different workouts inbetween, but does two days seem like too long inbetween?

Today is a complete rest day. I haven't decided if I'm going to even attempt to do anything light simply because I go from school to home for lunch to school to work on most Mondays and I'm afraid I'll be worthless by the end of the day. Lol

Also, I downloaded those podcasts... But they don't play music? Were they supposed to? All I get are the times when you're supposed to run/walk and silence inbetween.

BeachBreeze2010
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Birdtostone - they play the music that ullrey put in them. It's kind of techno-ish. Not my preference, but okay. I have heard of versions that are just the timing and that you can put them "over" your own music, but don't know how/or want to do it myself. Maybe that's the kind you downloaded?

I TOTALLY feel 100% better after a good workout. It can change the day for sure.

I thought the same thing about the 2 days, but I think my ankle will need it, so I am not going to push it. I think I am going to stay with Friday, Sunday, Tuesday. Like you, on Mondays, I don't want to do much (I'll ride my stationary bike). Fridays and Sundays are usually my slower days. It's a good schedule for me. If I did every other day it would throw off that schedule. Isn't it amazing, though, that we already are "missing" the run!?

pokeycactus
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Can I join you guys? I won't be starting till later this week because I religiously do zumba M, Tu, and Wed., but needed something to fill in the rest of the week and thought this would be great...if it won't be too late to do this with you girls!!!

Beachbreeze - what did you do to your Achilles's tendon? I minutely tore mine about 6 weeks ago, that was a miserable feeling, but I'm okayed by my doc to start running...so we'll see how it goes.

Crushed
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
If you're looking for good music underneath the running instructions, the one I use has good music (Coldplay, Beyonce, etc...) and it's free.

http://runningintoshape.com

I'm onto W2D1 tomorrow.

Joni

ubergirl
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
We had a C25K thread going down in EXERCISE, but it's kind of petering out, so I guess I'll join here.

I pulled a quad muscle last Thurs, so I took off Fri, Sat, and Sun. Today, I was planning to walk and maybe run a little, but I noticed it wasn't bothering me so I just went ahead and completed W6D3-- the first 25 minute run. I did it on the indoor track, which normally I find a little harder than the treadmill-- it's more crowded and small so there is a lot of dodging people and turning. In any case, I did run very slow and I was tired at the end, but I managed fine. It wasn't one of my great ones, where I feel like I can keep going forever, but it wasn't that bad either.

BeachBreeze2010
03-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Uber - Oops! I didn't see that one. I forget about the other forums. I should have checked in exercise! I am so very glad to hear that your injury is better and you can still run!! Way to push through and do the workout!! 25 minutes is AMAZING!! :yay:

Crushed - thanks for the music reccomendation!! The techno gets old after a while - okay it gets old really quickly! Let us know how W2D1 goes! I do mine on Friday.

Pokey - WELCOME!! So glad to have more participants! 6 weeks and you could run again?? Wow! I really struggled with mine for months. I had a fall and twisted my ankle last August. But, I didn't really sprain it a whole lot. The initial trauma healed pretty quickly. Instead, I sublaxed (stretched) my peroneal tendon (the one that runs down the outside of your foot and under your ankle bone) and ended up with tendonitis in it. The slightest thing would set it off and I couldn't walk for several days. My dr decided that it wasn't sublaxed enough to reccomend surgery at the time. It showed up a little on the MRI, but we both hoped that I could recover w/o surgery. I also have plantar fascitis - I had that before my ankle injury. The achilles feeds down into the plantar fascia. But, for some reason (I am not an anatomy expert at all!) when my achilles feels tight, the plantar fascitis and the peroneal start to flare shortly after. Thankfully, the plantar stuff is not bothering me. I am just mostly scared of the tendonitis flare-ups.

My run today was great!! I changed my route and ended up doing the 7th interval going uphill (wah!). I did it, though!! 8 was back downhill, so that helped a lot. (A hill in OH isn't really a hill - it's probably more of a bump to some of you!) I think I was going faster, too. DD came with me. She's chatting along and I am giving hand signals to her because I am too out of breath to talk easily. Funny! It makes the time pass somewhat faster. We are moving on to week 2 Friday and I can't wait! I think the 90 seconds seems doable with a 2 minute recovery. I started doing some intervals on my stationary bike to focus more on cardio improvement than just time.

Crushed
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I just finished W2D1 and let me say THAT WAS HARD!! I didn't think it was going to be too bad because I was doing pretty well with the 60 seconds, but those extra 30 seconds kicked my behind. It's hard work dragging 300+ pounds down the street.

That said, I am sooo glad I did it. I feel so proud of myself for not giving up. I'm proud of all of us for taking charge and requiring more of ourselves. I need to push myself more and today was a good example of that.

Have a healthy day today, ladies!

Joni

pokeycactus
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Beachbreeze - I work in a Dr.'s office and had it MRI'd at work, and so I got to see exactly what was up and where, etc. There is a TEEENY tear, nowhere near bad enough to require surgery, but I was told if it tears in half, then I'll definitely need surgery.

Torn in half?! I know how bad a tiny tear hurt, I couldn't imagine tearing the thing in half.

But because it was just the achillies's, they told me to rest it six weeks, and then wrap it super good and try running on it but not to push it at all if I felt any kind of pain. I had been in training for a 5k when I did it, so I've been itching to get back out there. I didn't do the C25K or anything like that, I was just jumping on the treadmill and going for it.

I think actual training is probably the best option to avoid further injury... :)

Crushed
03-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm just checking in to see how the runners are doing. I'm going for a long walk today in preparation for W2D2 tomorrow. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm still committed to doing it.

Have a great day!
Joni

birdtostone
03-18-2010, 04:05 PM
BeachBreaze- Hmm, maybe I did download the wrong ones. I'll have to play around and see if I can maybe add my own tracks.

Crushed- Oh man! Thanks! I definitily wish I had seen your post before I ran my last week 1 mile a bit ago, but I'll definitely be looking into the other ones on that site. I would have loved to run to single ladies.

Pokey- Glad to see you're going to jump in! I can't imagine tearing anything in my ankle. That would really put a damper on things. It's great that you're so ready to get back with it.

I got a little off track this week. I was supposed to run tuesday or wednesday and then bike or do the 30DS the other day, but my brother ended up calling on Monday night and he needed to be picked up from the airport on Tuesday for a suprise visit. I spent the first half of my day in with him and then the second half with a close friend. We made veggie stir fry and I didn't get home till late. My brother was here until yesterday and my dad took off, so it was a family day. My brother also made a HUGE, delicious dinner that I definitely had a bit too much of, and then since it was St. Pattie's day, I went out and celebrated. So another late night back.

BUT. Today is back on track. I'm technically only scheduled to do my 30 minute muscle toning and stuff today, but I didn't want to go into Friday without having run the three days per week. So, I ran a bit ago.

I did it on a tread mill this time, but that's different from what I usually do. I started off walking at 2mph and running at 3mph, but I didn't feel like I was doing much, so I upped it to walking a 3mph and running at 4mph. That evened it out, but I was definitely not breathing as hard as I did when I ran around the neighborhood.

I don't know if I should acclimate that to getting used to running or because it was on a treadmill and flat terrain striaight through. Last time I ran, I got a stitch in my side. This time I didn't. But I also feel as though I was running much faster than I usually do, and consistantly considering it was on the treadmill and I couldn't really slow down.

My right calf started to get really uncomfortable when I upped the speed. I think it was because I was landing harder on that foot though, because I tried really hard to shift my weight around and when I landed more on my left foot, the same thing started happening. I pushed through it and there's no pain at all right now, I can just feel they're tired.

We'll see. Nervous about W2D1 tomorrow, but definitely ready!

Loving Me
03-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm with Uber and have been posting on the C25K thread in the Exercise forum.
I just completed Week 6 today and did my first 25min run without any breaks. I'm SO proud of myself, only two months ago I couldn't even run at all.
The C25K is really great, but I've had to learn to push myself like I've never pushed before to get through some of the runs. A lot of my problem has been mental barriers I put up. To start with I really felt like I was going to die and couldn't breathe after just a few minutes running, whereas now it doesn't feel like that, it's just me thinking, oh I'm tired, I've had enough. But when I put my mind to it it really isn't that hard. I've also had to slow down from the speed I started at, or I wouldn't have got as far as I have. I figure if I can get up to running for 30mins regularly then I can work on upping the speed.
Good luck to everyone who is doing it, you will be so proud of what you achieved in just a few weeks, I still can't believe I'm actually a runner! lol

Crushed
03-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Loving Me - You are an inspiration! I'm glad to know that the "I feel like I'm going to die" feeling does go away. I need to remind myself that alot of my barriers are mental and not physical.

Joni

lavieboheme73
03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Hard to believe it, but I'm getting ready to start the actual RUNNING phase of my program. I have just 2 more 20 minute walks to go, one tomorrow and one on Sunday. On Tuesday of next week, I will start with 28 minutes of walking and 2 minutes of running. This may not sound like much, but I'm actually not overly certain I will make it the whole 2 minutes! I just keep telling myself that it won't be long before I can look back on that and be amazed that I ever thought running for only 2 minutes would be a big deal. Shoot, I'm thrilled that I've stuck with the walking portion for this long!!

BeachBreeze2010
03-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Bo - I am sure you can do it!! :cheer2: 2 mins is some time. (Heck, I'm shooting for 90 seconds this week! LOL!) You can make it through! Keep your breath as even as you can, go as slow as you need to, and keep nothing but positive "I know I can" thoughts in your mind. Pick your favorite song and go to town! I have already noticed that the first time I try something is the hardest. The second is easier. I can't wait to read your positive report!

Birdtostone & Crushed - Let's rock W2! I can't wait! Bring it on!

Loving Me & Uber - So glad to have you guys here! I'm sorry I didn't see the other thread. Thanks for your contributions here! You two are my inspirations! It's so awesome to hear from people further along in this - I still can't fathom myself running that long??

I rode my stationary bike today and really upped the pace to give myself a good, non-weight bearing cardio workout. I rode at almost 13mph for 60 minutes! That's a big improvement over my usual 11. This program has definitely improved my cardio abilities already.

:bravo: for all of your hard work, ladies! We are really doing this! WOW! Go us!! (Sorry to be so cheesy, but this is hard for me to believe!)

Crushed
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm about ready to do W2D2 and I'm nervous. The first day didn't go so well...

Okay, okay. I'm just going to suit up and tackle it! No time like the present!

Joni

BeachBreeze2010
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Crushed - How did it go? Was it easier? Please lie to me and say yes! LOL!

I just got finished with W2D1 and wowza! My route has that little hill during my second to last interval. I swear the last 45 seconds of interval 5 I was barely moving. 6 was much better because it was the downhill portion. It occurred to me that as much as it is hard to run during the uphill, it would be worse to have to go up it while I was recovering in between intervals. I think the 90 seconds was doable because there were only 6 intervals. If there were 8, I might have passed out. But, for all my whining.... I DID IT!!! I freaking did it!! Next time I hope its easier, but if not I will do it again.

Crushed
03-19-2010, 09:28 PM
BeachBreeze - I did it! The first interval kinda kicked me again but I adjusted my form and speed and the other 5 weren't bad at all. It's amazing how good you feel when you finish, isn't it? Good job making it through your first day of week 2!

Joni

BeachBreeze2010
03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure if I should run today. I've been having some pain around my right knee and I think my left ankle is a little swollen. I stretched for a long time last night. I think maybe my right quad is tight and it's pulling on my knee. I will keep stretching. I just don't like this pain around my kneecap. I know the ligaments/tendons are getting stronger, too, but I don't want another injury. I have a trip coming up in two weeks. I'm just really undecided what to do. I'm afraid of injury. Maybe starting this program at 199 was too ambitious. I might hold off today from running and and see if its better tomorrow. If not, I might put C25K on hold and try again at 175.

I know I can do the run cardio-wise, but my weight just puts horrible stress on my joints. Kind of bummed today...

Edited for an update:
I've been reading about how hard hills are on your knees. So, I went today to scout out a new place to run. I found a trail that is flat and gravel/dirt covered. I walked it today for 40 mins. My knee still hurts some, but maybe i can run again if I do it on that trail. I will wait until the pain is gone and try again. I won't give up that easy!!

Crushed
03-23-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm done with W2. Today I had a bit of a breakthrough. I realized that my breathing was what was making it so hard for me before. I was reading a women's running book and it said that you shouldn't breathe through your nose because you can't take in enough oxygen that way. So I tried breathing through my mouth today in a steady 1,2,3,4 in... 1,2,3,4 out pattern.

I finally was running without feeling like I was going to pass out and die! It was amazing. It was a challenge to keep breathing through my mouth at times, but I stuck with it and the 30 minutes just sailed by.

I'm actually looking forward to week 3!

Joni

Loving Me
03-23-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm done with W2. Today I had a bit of a breakthrough. I realized that my breathing was what was making it so hard for me before. I was reading a women's running book and it said that you shouldn't breathe through your nose because you can't take in enough oxygen that way. So I tried breathing through my mouth today in a steady 1,2,3,4 in... 1,2,3,4 out pattern.

I finally was running without feeling like I was going to pass out and die! It was amazing. It was a challenge to keep breathing through my mouth at times, but I stuck with it and the 30 minutes just sailed by.

I'm actually looking forward to week 3!

Joni

Well done Crushed! :carrot:
I have been breathing through my mouth ever since I joined the gym 7 months ago. When I first started I tried to breath through my nose, but as you said I just felt I couldn't get enough oxygen so changed to breathing through my mouth and have found it much better. I see lots of other people doing it too.
Saying that, I still felt like I was going to die those first couple of weeks of C25K :D But it did get easier and now I'm on Week 7 I really think I will be able to finish, which I didn't at first.

ubergirl
03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm FINALLY feeling better-- haven't run since last Tuesday. I had just finished W6D3. I think I'm going to repeat week 6 since I took off these days.

Crushed
03-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I finished W3D1 and it's getting better all the time. After I was done, I actually jogged an additional 5 minutes just because my body felt good enough to do it. How's everyone else doing?

J

ubergirl
03-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Had a great 25 minute run today!

lavieboheme73
03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
If I'm being honest, I really need to repeat Week 5 of my program. I only managed to actually RUN once this past week. So I'm going to start over again with Week 5 and see how it turns out. Wish me luck!!!

Crushed
03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Good luck lavieboheme!

I start W4D1 today. Everytime I start a new week, I think there's no way I can jog even more than I did the week before, but somehow it all works out fine. Good luck to all those ladies out there who are still plugging along!

J

BeachBreeze2010
03-31-2010, 11:32 AM
:yay: I am so, so, so excited to see all of you progressing!! :bravo: :cheer2:

I have tried a couple of times to get back out there and still find that I am in pain. I won't stop trying! If my weight loss continues the path it's been on, I will be at 175 by August. That gives me plenty of time to get through the program before the weather gets too cold. In the meanwhile, i will cheer you guys on! :cheer:

You ladies are so amazing!! Keep it up!