Desserts - Phase 2 - Mock snack cake

View Full Version : Mock snack cake

tomandkara
01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
I will answer my own post, since you sleepyheads are all still in bed. ;)

This morning our church, Sunday School, and AWANA got cancelled and the roads were too bad to drive on so we were stuck inside. I decided to do a nice brunch for the family since we hardly ever get to sit and eat breakfast together. I make the kids a hot breakfast before school but Tom is usually gone to work, Connor eats first because he has to be at school earlier than the girls, and I wait until after I work out. So here was a perfect chance to sit down for a nice breakfast together. I made a spinach and mushroom frittata, cut up some grapefruit, and modified the mock cornbread recipe to be like a coffee cake. Everybody liked it, and all but one tiny piece was gobbled up! Here's what I did, in case anyone else wants to try:

1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
4 eggs
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 T cinnamon (could have used more even)
sprinkle of cloves
1/4 c agave nectar
1/4 c milled flax seed
2 T canola oil
a handful of raisins

I cooked it at 200*C (400*F) for 30 minutes.

CyndiM
03-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Please add your favorite variations! this is a very flexible recipe. It can also be P1 if you want to experiment with P1 sweeteners instead of the agave.

PB Chocolate Snack Cake (similar to mayonnaise cake)

1 can rinsed & drained white beans (navy, great northern, etc)
4 eggs
2T - 1/4c nut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 c agave
1t vanilla
1t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
dash salt

Mix in blender and pour into sprayed 9X9 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes, until toothpick comes out dry. (anyone have a more precise recommendation on baking time?)
This is even better the next day though irresistible when it comes out of the oven

CyndiM
03-11-2010, 07:26 AM
and a moister, fruit version

1 can rinsed & drained white beans (navy, great northern, etc)
4 eggs
2T oil or pureed fruit
1/3 c agave
1t vanilla or other extract (I like almond or orange)
1t baking powder
dash salt
1+ cups fresh or frozen fruit

same directions as above though takes a lot longer to bake. So far I've tried blueberries, blueberries & cranberries, peaches & blueberries (yes, I have a lot of blueberries in my freezer) and diced apples. This version is very moist and dense, almost like a bread pudding. You can also sprinkle yummy toppings like crushed nuts and cinnamon on top.

KO
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Cyn Could I use NSA Cocoa?
I just don't have cocoa powder and this sound yummtastic
(not that I need more snacks!

CyndiM
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Kierie - this recipe is constantly in flux so go for it :) Of course you have to share if you come up with a good variation!

KO
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
This is what I'm probably going to try although not tonight as soda bread and guinness bread are on the agenda
2 tbsp natural PB
1/2 cup Swiss Miss (NSA)
debating adding splenda
2 tbsp SF Strawb Jam

tammies00
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I made this. It took FOREVER to cook!! It was ok, but not great. I placed a layer of peaches in the bottom of the pan sprinkle with cinnamon and followed the above recipe that Cyndi posted. Next time I think I will cook the peaches first with a cinnamon. I also think I will add some of the sf caremel syrup(like tooranis).

I think it needed to cook a bit more. It was kinda mushy! I think the problem was my peaches were frozen so that added more water. If I cook the peaches first then all the water would be out. I think this will help.

I will try blueberries next time too.

Tammie