Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Hospital Days around surgery (RNY)

I am having my RNY surgery on March 30. Less than 3 weeks!!! I'm excited but am starting to get nervous. So, I have some questions...

The hospital I am having surgery in has a whole bariatric wing so I know that the nurses are used to dealing with patients like I will be. I've had laparoscopic surgery twice in the last 10 years and have recovered very well from it. Which is also a little concern because there may be scar tissue issues.

What was the day of surgery like for you?
How with it were you for the following days?
Did you feel like having visitors?
How long until you were able to get up without help?
How much did you sleep?

My husband is a teacher and has his spring break the week after my surgery. I've told him to plan to be at school the day of. Is that a mistake? I can't imagine I will be all that aware of him being around. It probably would be better for him to be busy. And, he has a field trip that day.

anyway, any insight you can give me would be appreciated!!!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #2  

First day was pretty awful. I remember waking up in recovery and thinking WTH?!?! It was very painful when I was awake but luckily I was so drugged that I was not awake for more than a few minutes at a time. I went home after two nights. The 2nd day home I was at the mall but I probably wouldn't have seemed to be "with it" if you'd come up and talked to me. After that it was smooth sailing.

I was totally up for visitors because they walked with me. Everyone is different though. I didn't care what I looked like.

I got up without help right away. Did stairs first day home - no big deal just took my time.

I slept like every day.

You should have someone monitoring you the first day home for sure.
He'll probably want to be with you though for surgery wouldn't he?

Read about my experiences on my webpage if you'd like.

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 324/279/170

Height: 5'10"

Congrats! I had mine Feb. 22.

I had my surgery at 11 am. The first day, I woke up around 2 in a lot of pain because some anesthesia had gotten trapped in my back and shoulder. So I got them to drug me hardcore and went to sleep for a couple hours. My best friend came in around 6 and he hung around for several hours. During that time, I was happy, pain-free, talking (coherently) and even took a walk.

The next day was the same way. I was walking and talking. I spent almost the entire day awake and totally coherent. I didn't sleep well, but that seemed to be a problem with the hospital bed.

When I got back home, I could easily climb the stairs and felt awesome, but I slept 18-20 hours a day. It was nice to have my brother around the house to make runs to the store as needed or to help with random things. It's definitely important to have that kind of support. Honestly, it would help to have two weeks between your surgery and your hubby's, because you might not be feeling well enough to take care of him like he takes care of you while you're down.
dani4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

it's an exciting time!!! First of all, the nurses will NOT let you stay in bed. you'll be up and sitting in a chair after the anesthesia wears off. i had a morphine pump for pain - and that was a good friend.

as for visitors, they're gonna show up anyway. let them. they had to come and find me, though, because i have a rule while in the hospital: as long as i'm not attached to a stationary IV or monitors, I AM OUT OF THE ROOM. i truly believe that if you stay in your room, they're gonna find you and send you for tests.

you will probably want DH around for at least a few days after you come home. you'll be tired [i can't believe that you went to the mall, Stef!!!!]. and most surgeons won't let you lift anything that weighs more than about 15 pounds. that includes children!!!!

and i slept well - in part because of the oxycodone for pain. you'll probably be sent home with some pain pills - and that's ok.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Thank you, ladies! It will be very nice to have my husband home with me for a week.

I had my pre-op today and I don't go in the hospital until 9am. So, I'm figuring that my husband can just come join me after he is finished at school.

Dani - my husband is not having surgery. He is just off for Spring Break. I have to lose about 50 pounds more than my husband weighs. (That's sad - I have to lose the equivalent of my husband and my son. Wow. Okay. Small goals!!)

I'm feeling good about it all. I know I need to get up and move as soon as possible. And, yes, they have already given me the scrips for the pain meds and blood thinner to have when I get home.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote