100 lb. Club - A lack of "X"s

View Full Version : A lack of "X"s

matt_H
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Last week I went clothes shopping and finally bought shirts that have no Xs at all. I'm wearing just run of the mill "L" shirts. In 2.5 years I've gone from 5X to no X :).

Things have been difficult lately for me on a personal level and I've been a bit discouraged about the lack of progress lately. I'm trying to get out of this cycle of wallowing into emo stuff and thinking positively. No matter what, I've made good progress and I'm definitely going to continue on this journey.

I'm attaching some pictures I just took here at the office. On the face shot, notice the nasty flab of loose skin under my arm that made its way into the picture. OY!

Here is a blurry full body shot (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/anomie666/facenew001.jpg) and here is a face shot (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/anomie666/facenew003.jpg).

LitChick
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
NO XXXXs! That's awesome! :carrot:

It can be hard sometimes to remember how far we've come and what we've accomplished (especially you with your 220+ pounds worked off!) when we're still in the process of losing and not seeing massive drops on the scale like we did early on. But recognize your hard work and rejoice in your success! You are doing this and your body is so much the better for it. You're running, for goodness' sake! You are an inspiration to so many, and I hope you count yourself as one of those people, too. :hug:

ubergirl
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Gosh Matt. I wish you could see yourself the way others see you. I don't see any arm flab at all. I see a slender and athletic looking man.

Keep taking pictures and maybe you will start to see yourself as you are.:hug:

PeanutsMom704
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
you look fantastic, Matt, and wow, wow, wow on no X. That is really amazing and a major NSV.

emilydreaming
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the NSV! And you look great - don't let yourself get stuck seeing the negatives!

traci in training
03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Congratlations, Matt! You are an inspiration. My DH is 6'3", too, and about three years ago he lost about 140 pounds. He started between 360 and 370, we think - our scale only went up to 350. Anyway, he's maintained most of that weight loss, has put back on probably 20 pounds. He's signed up for some longer distance triathlons this spring, so he's really pushing to get under 200 pounds so he doesn't have to be a clydesdale. And that last 20 or so pounds is REALLY difficult for him. I know he can get back to 220 with no problem, but I know he's worried about getting below 200.

Anyway - great job - he doesn't miss those "big and tall" stores one tiny bit and I'll bet you won't either! He does still wear an X on a regular t-shirt because, although he is a little over 6'3" his inseam is only 33, so he's got a long torso. He does truly love to get sweatshirts from everywhere like the rest of us do - my parents travel and bring them back - because he knows they don't have to search high and low for his size. A huge NSV, isn't it?

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
That is wonderful NSV. As far as the picutres you look great. Just think of how much you have accomplished since you started this journey.

BeachBreeze2010
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe it would help to switch gears and think of yourself as a maintainer? Stop focusing on the scale, just enjoy the life you've built and focus on getting stronger and faster. I would imagine there are social running clubs or rec sports teams and the like in your town. Do you belong? Could you join? The rest of the weight will come off in its own time. We don't control that, only the healthy lifestyle. Remember the weight itself was never the goal. The goal was to be a healthy, fit, guy who could do anything w/o weight stopping him. Are you there? What are you waiting to do in your life that 20lbs is keeping you from? Does it have to? Go live that amazing life and enjoy being the strong athlete you've become. :hug:

kuhrisuh
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
WOOT WOOT!!! Congratulations!!!

You have made an ASTOUNDING amount of progress; you are doing SO well!! Keep trying to think positive... you can def. make that a habit :)

Eliana
03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
You are so awesome! Just that...awesome. I too wish you could see yourself the way we do...a tall, athletic man.

Wearing a no X is so wonderful. It's just so normal isn't it?!

midwife
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Congrats!!! :carrot: You look awesome! Truly! We can be our own worst critics though, that's for sure. :hug:

cathydoe
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Matt from 5 X to no X...that is MARVELOUS! I like the idea of what was said above to maybe start taking more pics of yourself. I think I may try that too. WTG Matt...what a WONDERFUL job of taking care of you! HOOT!!

calluna
03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't say I'll enjoy the loose skin, either, but I'd much rather it was loose than full. :hug:

gumboot
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Congrats! Hang in there and don't let life get in the way of reaching your goal. Easier said than done I know. :hug:

CLCSC145
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
That's fantastic, Matt! You have come so far! I'm right there with you with the personal stuff and the lack of progress muddying the waters, but we just have to keep focus, right? You're sooooooo close.

Arctic Mama
03-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Give the skin some time - weight training and toning will help a little, and time should do the rest.

Your quality of life is so greatly improved, loose skin or not, try to focus on all the amazing things you've gained by working so hard to lose the weight.

Congratulations on shedding your FINAL X for good!

Sandi
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Maybe it would help to switch gears and think of yourself as a maintainer? Stop focusing on the scale, just enjoy the life you've built and focus on getting stronger and faster. I would imagine there are social running clubs or rec sports teams and the like in your town. Do you belong? Could you join? The rest of the weight will come off in its own time. We don't control that, only the healthy lifestyle. Remember the weight itself was never the goal. The goal was to be a healthy, fit, guy who could do anything w/o weight stopping him. Are you there? What are you waiting to do in your life that 20lbs is keeping you from? Does it have to? Go live that amazing life and enjoy being the strong athlete you've become. :hug:

I think that Beach really makes a lot of sense here. I think it's all in how you are looking at it. It's not nearly as exciting as before, yet it's the same amount of work. Maybe it's time to see what else is out there now that you are slim Matt!!! Your pictures are awesome!! You are so handsome!! ;)

And a SUPER HUGE congratulations for being a plain old Large!!!

rockinrobin
03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
OH that must feel incredibly gratifying and totally wonderful - 5x - nada X. Plain ole' large!!! What an AMAZING accomplishment. Stop being so down on yourself!!! Look what you've done. Just look. You have done what most people only dream of. You and you alone have made that dream a reality. Congratulations doesn't seem special enough , but I'll say it anyway - congratulations!!!

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough personal time of it. But just think how much tougher it would be if you were 220 pounds heavier than you are now. Talk about tough! I know you will progress forward. You're not going back. You know better. You've got to keep forging ahead because the alternative is no longer an option.

I hope you feel better soon (you certainly look marvelous) and I look forward to hearing of your continued progress. :)

jewelrymaker81
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Matt, you are flippin' amazing!!! Way to go! Though I would love to see a smile on that slimmed down face! :D Show some teeth! haha Great job, you're awesome!!

astrophe
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
WTG! :carrot:

A.

BeachBreeze2010
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I think also that you need to get rid of the idea that when you get to your goal weight your body is done changing. You'll continue to change as long as you keep this lifestyle. You'll be faster, stronger, leaner, and more comfortable with your body. Essentially - you never get "there"; it's always a journey and a process even after you've acheived your goal weight. Take some time to let it all sink in as to where you are and how far you've come but also what amazing things still lie ahead for you.

TJFitnessDiva
03-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Look at you hottie!! You have come a very long way, 5X to a L, how awesome is that? :) The journey is an ever changing one and it's hard sometimes to adjust to it....you can do it though!

Loose skin is a pain but just think of the way you physically feel now than when you first started, chin up Matt :D

matt_H
03-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone!

I feel better today. I'm just in the midst of lots of family, work, and relationship drama. The weight loss has stalled and even gone up because of water retention.

I'd love to get at a point where I can look at myself in the mirror and not see a fat guy anymore and I'm not close to that. I'm still carrying a lot of weight around my stomach and combined with the skin issues it isn't very pleasant. Of course I am very very happy that I have these problems to deal with rather than extreme morbid obesity.

Beverlyjoy
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Matt - this is wonderful.

You look terrific. This is a major accomplishment. HOORAY

slimmingsi
03-11-2010, 01:29 PM
hit the weight rack and get a tan. the weight rack with help to burn the belly and tighten up the skin. also tanning helps to tighten up the skin as well as making you look generally better. i'm doing more weights than cardio as i diet to stop the loose skin issue. well to lessen the problems. i want to fill the space left by fat with muscle and become huge!

PaulaM
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
You have lost an entire person. You are incredible.

FitGirlyGirl
03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Congrats on being large. You look great.

VickieLou
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Matt :bravo: on LOSING 220.8 LBS! That is Awesome. Your Looking Incredible! It probably takes time to adjust to your new size. Keep Up The Great Work! Your such an Inspiration to us! Enjoy the new clothes in a Normal size.