General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #1  

Default Which diet should I do?

Hi, I am in my late 20's and weigh about 300 pounds. My fiance and I are trying to find a diet to do. I am looking for something that will keep me satisfied (not hungry), that is long term and healthy. I have done jenny craig, atkins and weight watchers in the past. I lost weight with all 3 and put it back on. I want to do something with natural clean foods (lean meats, fresh fruit, olive oil, veggies, etc) instead of processed foods like jenny craig or lean cuisines. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Why not try calorie counting? You can cook whole foods, count what you're eating, and don't have to use anything processed if you don't want to.

We have a great Calorie Counters forum - check it out!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #3  

I second calorie counting. For me, weight loss is all about doing something that you can keep up. Personally, I couldn't do low carb for longer than maybe a month. I prefer to count calories, watch portions, and make sustainable healthy choices.

From what I hear, ww is similar to calorie counting only using points. The one negative I find with that is that I like to fluctuate my calories. To me, it's easier to watch calories and adjust them than it is points. I do think the accountability helps a lot of people though :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

That's a completely personal descision. Depending on your income, your likes and dislikes, your work schedule, just about every diet will work and has worked for someone but not all diets work for you...but you've already figured that one out on your own.

Go to the library and check out some diet books. Volumetrics is good ifyou enjoy food and don't want to be hungry. I've incorpated a lot of those concepts. South Beach and Sugar Busters are good focusing on low glycemic foods,

Overeaters Annonymous has some good points also, you can check out their website.

I'm doing a combination of counting calories/volumtrics/South Beach. I know if I'm consisitant I'll lose the weight, my problem is that I eat for the wrong reasons and way too much.

Other books you may want to read are: "The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person" by Judith Beck and "The end of overeating: taking control of the insatiable American appetite" By David A. Kessler

I've found both to be very good, haven't really been able to apply the Beck principles very well yet but am working on it.

Good luck.
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Honestly?

Eat less. Exercise more. It's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle change. The problem with those diets that you listed is that a lot of people gain after stopping them. The thing with those diets (besides Jenny Craig) is that it's pretty much for life, especially Atkins.

Don't do "something" don't follow a "plan" just make an effort to make food every day. Calorie Counting works because you can have a little more freedom with what you eat. I wouldn't suggest restrictive dieting because for some it can lead to bingeing.

I'm slowly losing weight and just calorie counting helps. But it also really helps to limit bad carb intake, not to eat a lot of fat, and to stay within a calorie limit every day. So don't look for a specific diet plan because since you failed three times before with three different diet plans, (i've failed with those too) it's obvious that it's not for you and that's not the way you're going to achieve your weight loss goals. Some people can stick with it and maintain and not gain weight. I'm not one of those people. So just really watch what you eat and be active. Find a sport you like. I'm golfing about three times a week now and I love it even though I kind of suck (I trip myself out and whack the ball all wonky, but when I don't think about it I can hit it about 100 yards). Or just go walking every day. I'm working on getting up around 8am and walking, I've done it before to go golfing.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with sunflower- while I'm on the southbeach "diet" I'm basically eating like this for life. I know carbs aren't good for me cuz of my personal health issues so I have to face the facts that I can't carbs like everyone else can and when I do have some carbs I have to pick the "right carbs."

Do something you think you can do your whole life

Last edited by beerab; 03-09-2010 at 06:22 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Sounds like you have learned the most important lesson-this has to be for a lifetime. Which approach you take is a very personal decision. I follow a mediterranean style diet which is very similar to what you describe. It works for me but wouldn't for everyone. It does involve a lot of cooking so if you don't like to cook or don't have the time to do that it might not work for you.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #8  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I've done it all before too. This time its calories counting along with a Go Wear Fit. Working for me and I'm not feeling deprived.
mulder1921 is offline   Reply With Quote