100 lb. Club - Severe Constipation

View Full Version : Severe Constipation

Smiling_Sara
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Sorry in advance if these types of topics offend or gross anyone out, just wanted some outside opinions on this matter. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who reads this and might be able to provide some insight.

Some Backstory:
For the last few years, I've had problems off and on with constipation. I've taken benefiber and at times a over the counter laxitive ( that actually makes me very dizzy and feels like something is "picking" at my stomach ) But after lying back down for a few hours the dizzyness would seem to pass. At any rate, I always got through it. I actually did mention this to my doctor when I had my annual " girl " visit, and which she did a rectal exam and did find some blood. She said I should see a gastro doc for a consult, which I did. He suggested I have a colonoscopy, which I was hesitint about ( I'm only 31 ) and needed to wait for new ins to kick in. I took down his info and told him I would get back to him. To date, I haven't.

Fast forward to 2010. I work in an accounting firm, to which anyone who knows anyone in accounting this time of the year, it's a nutso crazy time. No free time whatsoever. Now, about a week in a half ago, I self diagnosed myself with a yeast infection. I had just gotten done taking prescrib meds for a sinus infection, and had all the symptoms of a yeast infection. This has since cleared up on it's own. ( Thank God ) But now the last 3-4 days, I have had a pretty, what I would call sevre case of constipation. I'm straining very hard to have BM, and when it does happen, it's not a lot, and for a number of reasons, I know there is more there that should come out, but it's just not. I would take a laxative, but I know it makes me feel like crap and dizzy. I did pick up some phillips this morning thinking that would be easier on my stomach, and the results are yet to come, excpt the uncomfortableness of knowing I have to go.

I'm starting to get a little scared by all this, but also don't want to jump the gun with doctors and stuff, (as that can get very expensive) if I don't have to. Not to mention it's the busiest time of the year for me and getting off work for a couple days would be difficult. ( but of course, if needed, I would )

So, my couple questions are this:

What would cause the dizzyness after taking a pill laxative?

Could I have gotten this bad constipation from the yeast infection?

After reading all this, what would you do? Try something else? Have the colonoscpy done ASAP, or after the busy season is done? Make having a colonoscopy a last resort thing? Wait a few more days and see what happens?

I do eat lots ( what I think is ) of fiber. Fruits, I put benefiber in my coffee, I drink a TON of water....I'm just kind of at a loss of what to do here, but it is painful down there cause I know I have to go, thus making it difficult to concentrate on anything else, but I have tried and tried to go, and it's there to go, just won't come out!

OK, I think I have embaressed myself enough for one thread, and so I'll end it and hope for some good insight. Thanks again for reading and if anyone is able to help.

:o

ShylahEQ
03-08-2010, 03:22 PM
minus the yeast infection, this sounds just like me.

i have to take a laxative every other day just to go, but i don't get that dizzy feeling you do. that is weird.

i'd definitely get the colonoscopy done as soon as you could, if another month is needed to wait so be it. have you tried a fleet enema? you can buy those in drug stores that might help give you immediate relief.

Eliana
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm having the exact same issue. Increasing the fiber only seems to make it worse, which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. I too have started taking benefiber to no avail. I eat fruits, raw veggies, probiotics yogurt, whole wheat bread, flax seed, wheat germ...nothing seems to help. I have the same feelings you describe.

I can't see your ticker, so do you mind refreshing my memory as to where you are on your weight loss journey? I started this in November and when I started I was eating lean cuisines and protein bars and Slim Fast. I've since cut all that out and eat 99% whole foods. That seemed to do the trick for a couple weeks, then I was back to being constipated again.

How can it be that my old way of eating crap was better for my bowels?? Makes no sense. I just keep thinking it will work itself out as I get used to eating this way, but I've been eating pretty clean since about January 1.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. How about you?

sunnysky
03-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi borntofly,
have you tried activia? I used to be constipated and only go once or twice a week if that. I eat an activia after dinner each night and I always go first thing in the morning now. It may take a day or two for the activia to work. Hope this helps. good luck!

sarahyu
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I've been having this problem on and off for several years now and it is painful.
I eat 1 c fiber one cereal for breakfast-that's 24 g of fiber, make sure I drink enough liquids at least 3 quarts a day. Eat a lot of raw vegetables. Usually some baby carrots, pea pods and a veggie salad with jicama, red sweet peppers, zucchini and what ever else in season about 3-4 cups worth. With a vinegar/EVOO dressing-I use TJ Orange champagne vinegar, so good and only 20 cal per T. I tend to get around 65 g of fiber a day when I'm being good.

When things are just slowing down I use benefiber or miralax until things speed up.

When I'm almost impacted I break out the hard core laxatives. I try to not get to that point but if I've slacked off on the water and veggies and maybe gone on a cheese rampage it gets bad.

Have you tried the laxative suppositories? They tend to work much quicker and tend to work on the stuff in the colon not the entire GI track.

The dizziness when you take laxatives may be from dehydration. Something about how quickly you lose the water in your system.

Go to something like fitday.com and put in all you are eating to see exactly how much fiber you are getting, it may not be as much as you think.

Good luck, I understand how uncomfortable the situation is.

Sarah in MD

Smiling_Sara
03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm having the exact same issue. Increasing the fiber only seems to make it worse, which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. I too have started taking benefiber to no avail. I eat fruits, raw veggies, probiotics yogurt, whole wheat bread, flax seed, wheat germ...nothing seems to help. I have the same feelings you describe.

I can't see your ticker, so do you mind refreshing my memory as to where you are on your weight loss journey? I started this in November and when I started I was eating lean cuisines and protein bars and Slim Fast. I've since cut all that out and eat 99% whole foods. That seemed to do the trick for a couple weeks, then I was back to being constipated again.

How can it be that my old way of eating crap was better for my bowels?? Makes no sense. I just keep thinking it will work itself out as I get used to eating this way, but I've been eating pretty clean since about January 1.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. How about you?

I started in late 2007 and went from 278 to 193 in that time. I try to eat around 1600 a day.

QuilterInVA
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd get that colonoscopy scheduled right away.

time2lose
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
First, if the doctor recommends a colonoscopy, I would be afraid to ignore that. The blood can be a serious symptom and I would want to be sure that I am OK. Not to be scary, but my son had to have a section of his colon removed when he was 28, so 31 is not too young for problems. On the other hand, the blood could be caused by something harmless.

About the constipation, have you tried adding some more healthy oil to your diet? I have IBS and have found that controlling the constipation is the best thing that I can do. Usually my constipation is usually caused by lack of fiber, lack of oil, not enough exercise, or not enough water. Often having a salad with some oil on it will really help. It is an easy thing to try.

Eliana
03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Oil huh? I hadn't thought of that. I am eating pretty darn low fat these days.

Any experience with flax oil? I have flax seed, but not the oil. I wonder if I could make a salad dressing out of that.

Terre
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I have the same problem especially since starting to eat healthy. I have to take laxatives regularly..almost daily. I have tried fiber pills, lots of water, I eat tones of fresh raw fruits and veggies, I eat fiber one bars...and still have problems. Mine is because of the lifestyle change...becasue it has only done this since starting the healthy lifestyle, but its very frustrating.

I also was told to drink coffee..so I am trying that starting today :)

catowned
03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I would buy some probiotics from the a health food store. They need to be kept cold so stop and get a cup of ice before you buy them.

Smiling_Sara
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Now I'm also starting to worry that if I get dizzy from laxatives ( and I have every time, to the point where I lay on the bathroom floor for 15-20 min ) that it will be really bad if/when I do the prep for the colonoscopy, and I can't even hydrate myself with those ( I don't think ) How will I handle the dizzyness then? At least with laxatives it's a one shot deal ( usually, but I"ve heard the horror stories of being in the bathroom all day with the preps )

*deep breaths* I just don't know what to do. :(

JayEll
03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
There is a tea made by Republic of Tea. It's called "Get It Going" Herb Tea for Constipation No. 2. It's a red tea, and the main helpful ingredient is Senna. Depending where you are, you may be able to find it at a health food or whole foods store. Steep it for 5 minutes, have it before bedtime and again in the morning if needed. People swear by this. It is gentle! You most likely will not get dizzy.

Jay

Smiling_Sara
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
First, if the doctor recommends a colonoscopy, I would be afraid to ignore that. The blood can be a serious symptom and I would want to be sure that I am OK. Not to be scary, but my son had to have a section of his colon removed when he was 28, so 31 is not too young for problems. On the other hand, the blood could be caused by something harmless.

About the constipation, have you tried adding some more healthy oil to your diet? I have IBS and have found that controlling the constipation is the best thing that I can do. Usually my constipation is usually caused by lack of fiber, lack of oil, not enough exercise, or not enough water. Often having a salad with some oil on it will really help. It is an easy thing to try.

The only reason I was hesatint was b/c my younger sister had one done in high school for the same symptoms I am having and it ended up being IBS and hemroids ( sp ) I just don't want to end up having to spend a lot of money that will get me "you have IBS" at the end of it all. Money is really tight for me.

I realize it *could* be something difft, and the doc, when I had my consult even told me he didn't suspect to find anything, but just wanted to make sure. If I thought it was something serious, I would of had it done already, and it may end up coming to that soon, as I am in discomfort now, where before it was just an inconvience....

Fat Pants
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Sounds like Jay's recommendation may be close (or at least contain the same ingredient?) as what I was going to recommend. My problem is a little different; I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and now have chronic indigestion. But if I take something to stop the indigestion, I get constipated for several days. I hate taking laxatives - I'm pretty much in the bathroom all day if that happens. One of my friends recommended Senokot - S. It's a natural vegetable laxative and it is MUCH milder than a regular laxative (like Ducolax). You can get it at Walmart/Walgreens/etc.

Also, I would get the colonoscopy ASAP.

Thirdly, CONGRATS on all your weight loss so far! You are amazing! :) Good luck!

sarahyu
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
If you know that your sister has IBS, maybe figure out her diet and try to match it? My doctor thought I may have a touch of IBS and suggested I give up coffee, chocolate, high fat foods, soda and the list goes on... it's not pretty. As long as I can control it, I'm not giving up the good stuff.

I understand about not wanting to spend a lot of money only to be told something simple is wrong. I spent over $300 dollars out of pocket to figure out what I'm allergic to, and found I don't have a classic IgE response to anything. What do I have? Non allergic rhinitis or allergy like sypmtoms but not true allergies and guess how it's treated---with allergy medication!

If you had a colonoscopy done, it would be a relief to find out what exactly is going on with your intestines. How expensive are they?

mandalinn82
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I get shaky/dizzy from laxatives also. They make my heart race, I don't know why.

I do not have that effect from "Smooth Move" tea from Traditional Medicinals. It's a senna-based laxative, and it works just as well, but without the icky side effects (tablet laxatives also give me really bad cramping pains that make me want to roll up in a ball and die).

MomtoThree
03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
If you still feel like something is there you are past the laxative stage since everything is already in your colon. Try suppository, fleets enema. If these do not work go see the doctor (who will probably send you to the ER) to have a large volume enema done. It is not fun but once is out you will feel so much better and can find ways to control the constipation.

For me I have to take Miralax as soon as I think anything is slowing down. It is a slow working laxative so maybe it would not make you feel dizzy. It is the one my dr. recommended and told me take it daily if I need too. Like the others recommended water, fiber and healthy oil. When I start having problems I but a TBSP or two of ground flaxseed in a smoothie daily for a few days and that seems to help.

I agree with everyone get the colonoscopy as soon as you can. I hope you get relief soon, being constipated is no fun.

Smiling_Sara
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
If you still feel like something is there you are past the laxative stage since everything is already in your colon. Try suppository, fleets enema. If these do not work go see the doctor (who will probably send you to the ER) to have a large volume enema done. It is not fun but once is out you will feel so much better and can find ways to control the constipation.

For me I have to take Miralax as soon as I think anything is slowing down. It is a slow working laxative so maybe it would not make you feel dizzy. It is the one my dr. recommended and told me take it daily if I need too. Like the others recommended water, fiber and healthy oil. When I start having problems I but a TBSP or two of ground flaxseed in a smoothie daily for a few days and that seems to help.

I agree with everyone get the colonoscopy as soon as you can. I hope you get relief soon, being constipated is no fun.

I certainly hope not. This post terrifies me. A trip to the ER to solve the issue? *yikes* But yes, it is in my colon. That I am sure of.

I went to the local health food store and asked about the Republic of Tea, and they didn't have any, but suggested Yogi Get Regular tea, which has the Senna Leaf in it. It says to take before bedtime, but I am about to take it now.

Thanks for all the tips....I sure hope this works...

Angihas2
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Have you thought about a possible food allergy? My dad had similiar problems, straining for a BM, when it did happen it was hard, tightly packed and often bloody or blood streaked. Lactose intolerant. (Not to mention gas you could clear a truck stop with) My daughter would get bloating, itchy scaly skin, and a list of gastro/digestive orders, allergy tests revealed high levels of allergens to all tree nuts, pork and gluten. Once that was out of her diet, all of her symptoms were alleviated. I should also mention, that at age 2, she passed a stool the size of a softball. These incidents would go on and off for 2 years before we found a doc who suggested simple allergy tests before they tried yet more invasive procedures. It was horrible for all of us concerned and if I never have to see my kid cry like that again, I'll be thankful. Also, by clearing all of this stuff out of all of our diets, we've all lost the sluggish, blah feeling as well as having more regular bowels.

Cuter w Curves
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Pill laxatives are NOT usually what they use to prep. To prep they will often use something called Miralax. This is a combination of things including something called PEG Flakes.

Poly Ethalyne Glycol Flakes.

Please... Consider asking your Dr for this. It takes about 6 months of use. You will usually start one 3 times a day mixed into fluid. After 4-6 weeks dial it back to 2 times a day... After another 6 weeks back to once a day and as long as you are still going consistently stay at that. After about 6 months see if you can come off of it completely.

How do I know about Peg Flakes you ask? My 6 year old has serious issues that cropped up with 2 years of pain, and agony. She didn't come up as constipated off the ultrasounds or xrays but a really amazing Ped. diagnosed it and hit the nail on the head.

The prep for the colonoscopy is 100 ml and the dose for her was 15 ml so huge difference. They will probably put you on something around 25 - 50 ml 3 times a day.

chickybird
03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
How much water are you drinking? I've had severe IBS-D for about 10 years, but it's gotten much better in the last 5 years, since I cut out a lot of trigger foods: caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, fried/fatty foods, etc. I know you're having the opposite problem I did, but drinking enough water can help with both problems. Good luck--try to get the colonoscopy. Even if it's "just IBS" you know you'll have ruled out cancer, Crohn's disease, Celiac, ulcers, etc...Which are way more expensive to cure or treat.

MomtoThree
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I certainly hope not. This post terrifies me. A trip to the ER to solve the issue? *yikes* But yes, it is in my colon. That I am sure of.

I went to the local health food store and asked about the Republic of Tea, and they didn't have any, but suggested Yogi Get Regular tea, which has the Senna Leaf in it. It says to take before bedtime, but I am about to take it now.

Thanks for all the tips....I sure hope this works...

Unfortunately for me that is a true story and I was on vacation to make things worse. Hopefully you do not have to go that route and can get everything straightened out at home.

starfishkitty
03-09-2010, 04:50 AM
I've had/having similar problems for the past few years.... and I've found that too much fiber can be just as bad as not enough, FYI!

Besides recommending the obvious colonoscopy that the doc recommended.... definitely try adding some good fat to your diet like above mentioned! Not only is it needed for healthy hair and nails.... but I'm sure other things can be affected by a too low fat diet as well!

Good luck... I know how much bowel problems suck! :( I look forward to the day I get mine straightened out too!

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 07:07 AM
well, I had the tea at 7pm last night, so far no luck. Should I drink another tea? I'm not sure what the next step is. I just don't want to jump the gun on calling the doctor on something that I can do myself. Obviously, if it goes for much longer, I will not have a choice.

Chickybird, I drink a TON of water. In the morning it's coffee ( perhaps I shouldn't drink as much as I do ) but after that it's prob 15-20 cups of water.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I get shaky/dizzy from laxatives also. They make my heart race, I don't know why.

I do not have that effect from "Smooth Move" tea from Traditional Medicinals. It's a senna-based laxative, and it works just as well, but without the icky side effects (tablet laxatives also give me really bad cramping pains that make me want to roll up in a ball and die).

It really is the craziest thing, isn't it? I can feel the dizziness come on while still using the bathroom, and when I go to stand up, the room just spins. I also get the real bad cramping, I call it the gremlins picking at the lining of my stomach. Ugh. That is why I'm trying some other alternatives....

thistoo
03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I have problems with this and adding flax meal (ground flax seed) to foods really helps. I just sprinkle it over meals, or sometimes I make a 'one minute muffin' (low carb recipe) to help things along:

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 1 minute. Slice, butter (or peanut butter or cream cheese or whatever) and eat. It's pretty good.

Having said that, I would definitely get back to the doctor. Chronic constipation can be a sign of more serious things, not to mention the misery you're living with.

sarahyu
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
well, I had the tea at 7pm last night, so far no luck. Should I drink another tea? I'm not sure what the next step is. I just don't want to jump the gun on calling the doctor on something that I can do myself. Obviously, if it goes for much longer, I will not have a choice.

The tea usually takes several hours up to 24 hours on me anyway. But I always brew mine really strong-well I use the dieters tea-which the big ingredient is senna. They say to brew for 3 minutes and I usually brew for 10 minutes or more. Hey, I figure I want as much as that little tea bag will give me.

Sarah in MD

time2lose
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I want to say, "Trust me, try eating something heavy in healthy oil"! Now that would be silly if it didn't work, wouldn't it? :) Seriously, it works for me.

Ten Years
03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Exercise helps a lot when I have any bowel problems. I would get moving, take a walk or a bike ride.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
The tea usually takes several hours up to 24 hours on me anyway. But I always brew mine really strong-well I use the dieters tea-which the big ingredient is senna. They say to brew for 3 minutes and I usually brew for 10 minutes or more. Hey, I figure I want as much as that little tea bag will give me.

Sarah in MD

The tea on the box actually said 6-8 hours, which has passed. I took it 13 hrs ago. I did take a stool softner at 7 this morning. Not a laxative, but softner ( don't know if there is a difference ) but at this point, I"m willing to try *almost* anything.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to worry. It feels like a softball is lodged in my colon. :(

I'm wondering now I need a suppositories....

I just don't know how long I should wait before calling a doctor. And I was talking to my mom and she said they may just send you home and tell you to do an enema.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Exercise helps a lot when I have any bowel problems. I would get moving, take a walk or a bike ride.

I did excersize last night. I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes at 3mph and incline at 3. I work out 4 days a week..

*ETA: timetolose, I'm almost scared to eat anything for fear of "piling up more waste" on what i'm sure is already a lot.

*sigh*

ShylahEQ
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
get a fleet enema from the drug store.

it's a bit uncomfortable, but it will help you. that's all my Dr recommends for me. you don't want to have to go to the hospital to have them do it!

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
get a fleet enema from the drug store.

it's a bit uncomfortable, but it will help you. that's all my Dr recommends for me. you don't want to have to go to the hospital to have them do it!

From what I have read, it doesn't sound like the easiest task. Is it easier than it reads? Can I do one by myself? :?:

JayEll
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
OK, well, if nothing has come to pass, then you should see your doctor NOW. Don't try any more laxatives, etc. because this can be dangerous if you have a blockage. Go to the doctor. Now.

Jay

ShylahEQ
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
It takes a bit of maneuvering, but yes it can be done alone. it's not a pretty sight :p

Do you have a Dr that you can call and talk to the nurse / leave a message for them with a "what should you do?" question? it would ease your mind i'm sure.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
It takes a bit of maneuvering, but yes it can be done alone. it's not a pretty sight :p

Do you have a Dr that you can call and talk to the nurse / leave a message for them with a "what should you do?" question? it would ease your mind i'm sure.

well, i'm not sure how much maneuvering I can really do as I'm pretty uncomfortable. I almost feel like having the doc or whomever would do it at the hospital, it can't be worse than my annual pap ( but maybe I'm wrong ) Would they offer it to me, or would I have to ask for it?

I will call my doctor today Jay and see if I can get in, if I can't ( my doc only works part time ) I guess I'll use the walk in clinic, cause I know for even my own sanity I can't go without not going much longer.

lora m
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I would definitely call a doctor, but I'd also echo the suggestion earlier in the thread to have more healthy oils in your diet. I used to have IBS-D but found that I started getting constipated when dieting. I'm pretty sure that the combination of too much fat and alcohol gave me IBS-D and too little fat gave the opposite problem of constipation. When I eat off-plan at the weekend I always 'go' more easily subsequently but I have tried to incorporate more fat into my daily diet too. Upping my fibre intake in the form of wholewheat also helped but if you're already doing that it won't make a difference to you.

Asherdoodles87
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I had some of the symptoms your having. I had constipation issues and rectal bleeding, but then I would have bad diarrhea too. I had a colonoscopy done to check for crohn’s disease. It just turned out to be colitis and hemorrhoids. I had to take some very strong antibiotics for a few days, and I was fine. I think if it continues you should definitely have it looked into witha a colonoscopy. You can always talk to the doctor’s office that is performing the procedure and try to make payment options. It sounds like it's not getting any better. If you did have a colonoscopy done at least you would know what was causing it.

traci in training
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
A nurse's perspective:
1. The laxatives make you dizzy because of the action they preform. They increase peristalsis, which means they increase the little waves of motion that move stuff through our colon. Unfortunately, they also increase your heart rate which is what is probably making you dizzy.
2. There is no law that says you must poop everyday, but if you're straining and your poop is hard, dry, crumbly, or looks like rabbit pellets, you are constipated.
3. Constipation usually comes from the feces moving too slowly through the bowel. Most water is absorbed in the large intestine, so if the poop is in there a long time, all of the water gets absorbed and that's what makes the poop dry. The dryer it is, the slower it moves, and the miserable cycle continues.
4. Miralax works by drawing water back into the colon so the poop will soften and move. I believe Senna works the same way. The advantage of Miralax is it is approved by the FDA, so the strength is the same in each bottle. Teas are not regulated, so the one you're drinking might be very strong or very weak. Not knocking whole foods and holistic health, just saying your situation sounds pretty serious, so knowing exactly what actions you're taking might be a good thing in this case.
5. Self-administering a fleets enema is not too bad. The other thing you could try is a bottle of mag citrate - a small dose of the stuff they use to clean you out for a colonoscopy. You can buy it over the counter (very cheap) but I would plan to be home when you take it as it can have explosive results.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. As always, the best source of advice is your doc. I hope you feel better soon!

getittogether
03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Try Miralax for a few weeks. It just adds water to the stool so things move more easily. If your constipated a little tear could explain the blood. Miralax is given to little kids all the time and it's very safe. It mixes in anything even water. No taste or texture. You can play with the dosage until you find the minimum that works for you. I take 1/2cap each day and my three year old takes 1/2 cap 1 or twice a week. Try it for a little bit and if symptoms don't imrpove then a trip to the doc is in order. Good luck.

dietcokehead98
03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
The meds for your infection could have contributed to the constipation.
Try Keifer. It's a thick liquid yogurt that you can drink alone, mix with fruit or granola or mix with some skim milk. It's parabiotic and I SWEAR by it when anyone in my family has tummy issues.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I am waiting to hear back from the doctor. THey told me I had to put in a request to see her. I was told I should hear something by noon. If not, I don't know, maybe call back, or else just go to the walk in clinic. At this point I'm just so frustrated and in pain. I can still pee with no issues, but I hate even going to the bathroom cause it's so uncomfortable. It's "there" and it starts to come out, and then I get what I can only describe as a softball size hardness around my butt. *sorry, I know it's gross* :(

I'm having nightmares that I"m gonna have to have surgery for this, what feels like a 6pound baby in my colon. B/C how would I ever be able to actually pass that?

WildThings
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I will echo the suggestion for the probiotic. Not for immediate relief, probiotics take awhile to help, but if the antibiotic threw the bacterial balances off enough for you to develop a yeast infection, it probably threw the balance off in your intestines as well. A yeast over growth in your intestines can definitely cause constipation. Probiotics can help rebuild the healthy bacteria wiped out by the antibiotic.

Smiling_Sara
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
OK....just got off the phone with the nurse. She talked to the doctor, who is booked today, and said she suggests I try miralax and a stool softner for a couple of days until I have a BM. I said when should I call back if this does not work, and she said on Thurs.

So, off to get some miralax I guess. I'm taking the afternoon off of work in hopes that this works. I certainly hope it does.

It makes me feel a tad better knowing that my doctor is not as worried about it as I am, that she didn't say I should go to the walk in clinic or to the ER.

oodlesofnoodles
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm so sorry :( what a.. poopy situation.

I had my appendix removed and my GI tract has been a little funky ever since. Also since dieting. I was going to suggest what everyone else said.

I basically take a stool softener daily, actually 2 is even ok, and drink a bunch of water if I feel plugged up.

My cousin has to take vicodin for back pain and so she gets constipated all the time from it, and sometimes she has to give herself an enema. I asked what it was like and she said it's not that fun but it clears you out really fast and feels a lot better. So don't be afraid to try that if you get really uncomfortable.

I'm sorry I can't help more. I hope you poo soon. :(

sarahyu
03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
The nice thing about miralax is that it has a generica available now. Man, when it first came out it was super expensive. I saw as high as $30 for the 30 dose container-of course that was at the expensive drug store that you'd be crazy to buy anything not on sale. I picked it up the generic at Costco for $24 for 100 doses. Way better .

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 12:56 AM
The miralax is great but if you feel that bad I would really head to the store and grab a fleets enema. They are really not bad, just a small dose saline enema. The reason I ended up at the ER is that several fleets did not work and I need a much larger volume enema to get things moving again.

mkendrick
03-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Hmm, lots of answers so far. I'll tell you what has worked for me :) Sorry in advance for TMI, lol.

For about two weeks, I was lucky if I went every two days. It was frustrating, I felt bloated and gross, and I just wanted to jumpstart it.

I got some psyllium husk powder from Walmart for about $13 in the laxative aisle. I've been mixing 1 teaspoon in a bottle of water with Crystal Light with breakfast and dinner. It's safe to take daily, unlike OTC laxatives. Basically it's just pure soluble fiber, it'll absorb water and turn into kind of a slimey blob in your stomach (tip: drink it fast before it absorbs too much water) which will add bulk and water to your poo and make it move along faster. This took a few days to work, don't expect immediate results like a regular laxative, but it will work after a few days.

I also noticed that my constipation seemed to start right after I stopped eating a nightly snack of yogurt. So I started taking an acidophilus tablet with breakfast and dinner. That really seemed to be the kicker. I actually went twice today easily (TMI, sorry!). I'll probably keep taking the psyllium and cut back to one acidophilus per day.

Also, I personally find prunes to be delicious, and they do add lots of fiber. Just remember the calories add up...I'll eat 5 prunes for 100 calories.

Smiling_Sara
03-10-2010, 09:08 PM
The miralax did help.....some. I feel lots better. Just thought I'd give you all an update, since as of yesterday, I was seriously thinking they were going to have to do surgery or something....

getittogether
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
woo hoo...for a poo! I am glad you are feeling better. Keep on the Miralax for a bit and I'm sure you will feel back to normal in no time. Eventually you can back off the dose until you feel comfortable.

Smiling_Sara
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
woo hoo...for a poo! I am glad you are feeling better. Keep on the Miralax for a bit and I'm sure you will feel back to normal in no time. Eventually you can back off the dose until you feel comfortable.

Thanks! The best thing about the miralax was that it didn't make me dizzy like other laxatives did! Yah for miralax!

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Wonderful, I am happy the miraliax worked. I always keep a box of miralax around here just incase I start to feel off.

Cuter w Curves
03-11-2010, 01:53 AM
I am so glad!

I was checking back because I was a bit worried. It only gets better from here.