Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/254/200

Height: 5'4

Default Need Advice and Encouragement

I have been going to the gym about 3-4 times a week since may 25th 2009. I have only lost about 30Ibs. I cut out alcohol and carbs. I'm 5'5" and 31 yrs old. I see that most people who have been on this journey this long lose more....what gives?
lisa141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm...I don't know you personally but what about the rest of your diet? Do you eat lots of sugars? Maybe try a diet that has carbs but in a limited way. To me the no carbs diets didn't make sense to me and so I decided to do the 5 factor diet.

Also, consider what the rest of you looks like as well. It isn't just about your weight loss...what about inches lost? What about sizes of clothing?

Hope with a little more info we can all help you out!
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I to am losing slowly. However, I think that losing slowly I am learnign better how to have a good relationship with food. What kind of plan are you following, other than cutting out carbs? Switch up your plan every now and then. I am doing basic calorie counting. It is very simple to calculate the calories you need to lose weight. I hope this helps.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Are you food journaling and accounting for every bite you take? Often times, we give up one thing, like carbs, and substitute something else, like soda, sweet tea or candy. Every bite counts and its basic science, -calories in + calories out = slimmer you. Without more information it's really hard to help you, but I hope someone can. Good luck and 30 lbs is still 30 lbs you arent toting around, right?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #5  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

It is really hard to say since I do not know what all is going on with you. Maybe someone could help you more if you post what you eat in a day. Also like the previous posters said maybe you need to switch up your diet and tweek it to fit you.

Be happy about the 30lbs it is 30lbs less than you were carrying last year at this time. I have a good friend that lost 200lbs over 4 years. She said there were times when the weight came off very slowly and she just had to be thankful that they were coming off even if it was a slower rate than she wanted.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

May 2009 - March 2010 is what? 10 months.

So 3 lbs a month, including that holiday season in the middley bit there that typically derails people.

I'd say that's a good average, and rock on!

You might be at the place to change up your work out if you haven't already. Bodies eventually get good at the routine, and when it is no longer challenging, you don't burn as much. So I'd look there first.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I agree that 3 pounds a month is a good steady rate. Congratulations! Does your gym have a trainer? Maybe chatting with him/her will help you burn more calories. Like others have said, our bodies are constantly adapting to conditions, so I guess we need to continually change our programs to work with our bodies.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I would consider using an online food journal. It's a great way to track your calories, carbs and other nutritional aspects. I like fitday (it's free). Whatever you choose, carbs aren't the whole equation. Calories count regardless of the source.

And, WAY TO GO!!!! on the 30lbs loss!! That's proof that you can do this!! Keep it up!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have always lost pretty slowly too. 30 pounds a year is about my average, I'm sorry to say. For some of us it is just a much slower process than others, and the calories in - calories out = weight loss equation is not that simple.

What kind of low carb plan, if any, are you following? I was doing low-ish carb (130 grams or less a day) on my own and it worked for the first 90 pounds. Then I hit another wall, and I'm trying to get through it now with a structured low-carb plan. Atkins was just too high calorie for me at my current weight, so I'm trying out the Metabolism Miracle plan. It's basically the same as Atkins, but you can eat more veggies without having to count the carbs and it's lower fat, which means lower calories.

At your weight and height it shouldn't be so hard to lose, I agree. Unfortunately sometimes it just is. Your thyroid could play a role (and they never do the right tests so hypothyroid is very underdiagnosed) or you could be suffering from metabolic resistance. Without knowing what you're eating exactly, I'd say try a structured low carb diet and see how it goes.

Good luck. I know exactly how frustrating this whole thing can be.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #10  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Losing weight is 80% food and 20% exercise. It seems like you've gotten your exercise on plan, but what about your food? I'm a calorie counter and it's shocking how many calories are hidden in everyday foods. My guess is that you've been eating more calories than you realize and as a result your loss is a bit slower. Still like the others have said 3 lbs/month is a good steady loss. My advice would be to try food journaling for a few weeks just to see how many calories your eating. If you're getting too many then you might want to try cutting calories. If that isn't the problem then try consulting with your trainer or doctor because it might be something else.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm a former South Beacher and I lost very slowly on that diet. I think I was probably overdoing it on the calorie side of things. A good option might be to calorie count with a little low-carb thrown in.

I currently calorie count but 99% of the carbs I eat are good, wholesome carbs like steel cut oats, whole wheat bread, quinoa, etc.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

agree with everyone - a 30 pound loss is never anything to dismiss!!

But chances are that your food is too high, even with low carb, you have to be aware of just how much you are eating. Chances are some fairly small changes will rev up your loss!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 262/254/200

Height: 5'4

Yeah, I think I have to change my work out. I usually do 30min treadmill 30 min elliptical. I not really good with food journals, I usually start one and forget to put and entry.

Thanks for all the comments, I think I will talk to a trainer.
lisa141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #14  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I do SBD PLUS calorie counting. I find that I can manage a 12-1400 calorie diet very well when I am cutting carbs (meaning, I don't blow all my calories by afternoon snack).

This is my 3rd time trying SBD.

the 1st time, I went to phase 2 too quickly, and used a lot of the breads and stuff. I found they really slowed me down. I lost about 30 pounds, had a crisis, and gained it all back.

The 2nd time, I went to what we call phase 1.5, restricted carbs (a little of the low carb breads, mostly wraps). I lost 45 pounds, had a crisis, and gained it all back.

This is the third time. I've been on phase 1.25, no breads, just low carb wraps. I started in May but kinda goofed around. I got serious in August. I have been very successful this time.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa141 View Post
Yeah, I think I have to change my work out. I usually do 30min treadmill 30 min elliptical. I not really good with food journals, I usually start one and forget to put and entry.

Thanks for all the comments, I think I will talk to a trainer.
Ummm, I think it's not your workouts that are the "problem". Like was said earlier, weight loss is 80% food/20% exercise. You can't exercise away too many calories being taken IN.

IF it's steady, consistent weight loss you're after, then you will have to pay MUCH closer attention to your food intake. It can be no other way. Again, exercise can only do so much. At some point, and this just may be it, you are going to have to start adhering to a stricter food regimen. If you're not so good with food journals - well get good! There are plenty of on line calorie calculators to get you started, such as fitday.com. Once you get into it and get accustomed to it, you'll see that it's not all that difficult. No more so than brushing your teeth and taking a shower. It's all part of your personal health care/self care routine. And very extremely incredibly a lot worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote