Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default What is UP with this????

I am SO frustrated right now. I can't figure out WHAT is going on.

I posted a thread a couple of days ago about being really hungry....

Well, the last couple of days, I have been CRAZY hungry. Not like the kind of "let me eat something off plan/go on a binge kind of hungry." Just HUNGRY.

Yesterday, I ate 1350 carefully weighed and measured calories-- that is completely in my normal range. I ate two servings of protein, bulky veggies, yogurt, all the stuff that usually satisfies me.... by dinner time I was ravenous. I ate. Felt better, two hours later I was starving again-- I ate leftover veggies from dinner. Felt better. Half an hour later-- starving. I ended up just going to bed. Woke up HUNGRY. Ate 1 cup of oatmeal with 1/8 cup raisins, and coffee with milk. Now, it's 8 am (2 hours later) I'm HUNGRY again.

To make matters worse-- I stepped on the scale this morning-- up a pound so far this week.

Has any other long-time on-planners had this problem??? I'm nine months in, and I haven't changed anything. Normally, I don't get hungry all the time, and when I'm a little hungrier than usual I always see a drop.

The only thing I can think of is that I did a really hard workout with my PT thurs night and was sore yesterday, and still a little sore today. But would that really make a difference?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
It's *possible* that the work out *caused* this. No way to know for sure.

I've had a couple of hungrier days then others while on my journey, but nothing major and not too long lasting. Funny enough, right now I'm hungry and I never am at this early hour. Oh well.

Right away I see where you can make a change. That oatmeal with raisins - try it with a 3 egg white omlette instead. PROTEIN. Especially given that the oats are so carb-y. It will help stave off the affects of it. Can you ditch the raisins? No real value there (other then they taste awesome). How about adding in some berries or cinnamon?

Think MORE protein and MORE veggies. Maybe re-shuffle your calorie around. Smaller, more frequent meals/snacks. LOTS of water. LOTS of tea.

Hopefully this will pass soon.

Ha! It's funny that you picked out my breakfast. This is the first time I have EVER eaten oatmeal, with or without raisins. I've been eating the exact same breakfast with a ritual fanaticism, bread, peanut butter, and half a banana, since the day I started. But, yesterday and today I was out of peanut butter.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #3  

Quote:
Quite frankly, bread, peanut putter and 1/2 a banana wouldn't do it *for me*. Those 3 things are loaded with sugar and carbs.
I know you're right, and I have been thinking about this. I started eating that in the beginning as my one carby thing, because I was a carboholic, and then it became just what I did every day. I do really enjoy it, but it's relatively high in calories for what it is. I had been wondering if I should switch over to a more protein rich breakfast. My pattern has been the carby breakfast, and then lean protein and veggies for lunch and dinner, with no more servings of bread, pasta, rice, grain or any of the refined white stuff. I usually eat 1-2 small apples and rarely any other fruit.

So, now, I just went and got a cheese stick for a snack. Usually one cheese stick and I'm satisfied. Now, it did not seem to make a dent.

I will definitely not last being this hungry. I'm drinking a big cup of coffee and I have a really filling tofu soup for lunch, so I hope that will work.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

for me, a good way to add some protein to my breakfast is that I have a couple of hardboiled egg white - in my case, along with nutrigrain waffles.

Not that there is anything wrong with changing things up and seeing what happens, but if you wanted to go back to your normal peanut butter and banana, this might be one tweak you could test to see how it worked for you.

As for the current hunger, aside from the different breakfast, could it be TOM related? A lot of women are more hungry, with real hunger and not just cravings.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #5  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I was sick last week, and had no appetite. I generally eat between 1200-1500 calories (as much as I want on my plan, I have a very low appetite due to my migraine med (poor me)) but I was having drama because I wasn't eating ANYTHING...like I was eating maybe 5-700 calories a day, and struggling to do that. (I lost 4 pounds that week and I was disappointed with myself because I knew it was unhealthy).

The result of my 6 day malnutrition was that I am RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY and have probably been closer to 1700-2000 calories this week, craving extra snacks and meals earlier than usual...not bad things, just more food.

Do you like sugar snap peas? I find them a nice munchy snack....
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #6  

Quote:
It's funny because in that breakfast thread that's going on here, I saw your breakfast and right away thought to myself I could never do that! And then when I initially replied to this here thread, I couldn't remember for certain if it was indeed you who posted that breakfast and I guess I was too lazy to investigate. There's no doubt it's yummy, but again, for me - no way. Waaaay too many calories with waaaay too many things going against it. I too was/am/was a carb-aholic. My belief is to dry up the wants for *those foods* and it has served *me* well! You get used to it. It just becomes part of what you do - or should I say, what you don't do. And I don't miss it - ha. Who knew?

The most important thing to me, is to not be hungry AND to be satisfied and totally enjoy each and every item that I am eating.

Anyway, the cheese stick? Don't shoot me. Doesn't fill *me* at all. At all. It takes a mere seconds to eat and sorry, it just doesn't do it for me. For the same calories I can have a huge bowl of cucumber salad. This is where the volume comes into play. It's bulky. It's also crunchy and slightly sweet and takes quite a while to eat. I use vinegar, water and splenda. I'm totally satisfied - for a while. It's a fill-er in-er.

And soup is great! Glad to hear you're having that. I sometimes make a huge pot of veggie stew. Zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, onions, sometimes eggplant with tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic. I make a big pot and have it good to go all week long. I heat it up a huge bowlful and sprinkle on a tablespoon of parmesean cheese. Delicious and FILLING. This is a snack for me as well and would be a stand in instead of the cheese.

Experiment. Tweak. Experiment. Tweak. Be creative. Think outside the box.

Well, I won't shoot you about the cheese stick.

I'm at work now... (it's quiet, hence my internet presence...) but on work days I always pack two cheese sticks and two apples. I need something I can grab to eat on the fly if I'm hungry, and I have the kind of job where it's unpredictable whether I can even get a break, much less at a certain time.

I definitely am a volume eater of veggies. I love veggies, and eat tons of them! I'm not trying to get through my days eating tiny little portions of un-dense food like cheese sticks, but usually I find that if I am hungry in the morning, since I eat my breakfast at 6 on workdays, and around 9 most other days, that a cheese stick will do it. Interestingly, I have now finished my large coffee, and with the cheese stick I'm not hungry any more.

I am curious about something though. My bread/peanut butter/banana fits okay into my overall calorie count, and since I only eat half a banana, natural unsweetened peanut butter, and one slice of whole wheat bread, and since I don't eat rice or pasta, or any other bread, or any other sweet stuff except for yogurt with splenda or small apples...

I mean, I guess I'm just wondering if there is really a consensus that it's just bad to have a carb-based meal? I used to eat bagels, and bread and candy and rice and pasta and cake and donuts and I've given every single one of those things up except for a slice of bread and half a banana...

I'm willing to consider that it "may" be bad-- I know that people who are insulin resistant do better not eating high carb meals in the morning, and even though I'm not insulin resistant, maybe I'm some kind of pre-pre diabetic that they haven't been able to diagnose yet, or something...

So, is there a 3FC consensus that weight loss works better when you stay low carb for breakfast? Just curious.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #7  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Earlier this week, I was starving too. I just could not eat enough. Nothing seemed to satisfy me. I was generally eating pretty healthily, except for the "apple pie incident". But last night I got an early visit from TOM. It seems that when I'm in the midst of this "hunger" I cannot remember that TOM may have something to do with it until TOM arrives and I have an aha moment. It's not helping that at 47, TOM comes every 3-3.5 weeks. I should know better by now.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

The hunger thing happens to me (exactly as you described it) every so often. It's usually TOM related or I can trace it back to not getting enough sleep for several days. I usually get through it by eating really bulky snacks, but there were a couple of instances where it was so bad and distracting that I ended up eating more than planned just to get through the work day. Soup has worked well for me in those instances.

Your mileage may vary, but days like this have never resulted in a gain for me.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Earlier this week, I was starving too. I just could not eat enough. Nothing seemed to satisfy me. I was generally eating pretty healthily, except for the "apple pie incident". But last night I got an early visit from TOM. It seems that when I'm in the midst of this "hunger" I cannot remember that TOM may have something to do with it until TOM arrives and I have an aha moment. It's not helping that at 47, TOM comes every 3-3.5 weeks. I should know better by now.
LOL, I hear you on the TOM thing. I'm 48, pushing 49 and my cycles are all over the place.... mine gives me migraines, but I haven't really noticed it making me hungry....

I'm still thinking maybe the muscle soreness is somehow a factor-- this was the sorest I've ever gotten from a PT session-- lunges on the bosu-- yikes!

Honestly, I would suck it up, if it weren't for the fact that scale is also stalled.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #10  

Quote:

Where my calories come from really, really, REALLY matters.
Thanks, Robin. That was really the heart of my long-winded speech above. I am trying to figure out if it's all calories in and calories out, or if there is something else-- like carbs that plays into it.

From my own case, I've been steadily losing, but something that I can't put my finger on happened that made me go from being a fast loser to a slow loser. I work-out, I weigh, I measure, I count calories. Now, I feel like I have to fight for every pound, and then, insult to injury, all of a sudden I'm HUNGRY.

I have noticed that I will have little love affairs with carby veggies-- for a while I was all about beets. Now, I'm constantly craving yams. What do those two foods have in common? They're both high in sugar. I'm a clever little devil.

But then again, I eat lean protein and LOTS of veggies, and only whole foods, and no added fats or oils except PAM... is it really realistic to demand that a single serving of baked yam, or a single slice of bread needs to be nixed out of my diet? I include those foods, but I don't go over my alloted portions.

I'm not sure. I'm mean, I really don't care. If I can give up a bagel with half a tub melted butter dripping down my arm, I can certainly give up a slice of wheat bread and a half a banana....

I think, just for arguments sake, I'll change up the breakfast for a week and see what happens. I had been thinking about doing it for a while, and I was sort of weirdly superstitious about it.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Interesting conversation. I, too, am a peanut butter toast girl for breakfast - almost everyday. I picked up a jar of pb2 and can I tell you after a short period of adjustment, it's pretty good. So I went from two pieces of toast (90 cals) plus peanut butter (190 cals) to two pieces of toast (90 cals) plus peanut butter (55 cals) with no pain. Now I can add a snack in without a net calorie gain. And the fat is WAY lower, too.

From my perspective - the only thing that I can eat when I wake up is something carb based. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and protein, but first thing when I wake up - which is not always morning because I'm a nurse and my schedule changes constantly - my body says carbs. Eggs upset my stomach, fruit tastes funny. And I'm ok with that. My body is cooperating with big changes these days and if carbs and coffee is what I need to get started everyday, that's fine with me. I'm glad to have found a way to get what I want and need for less calories, though.

Robin - the thought of a salad first thing in the morning sounds so Robinesque! I smiled when I read that! But I know I'd have a sour stomach all day if I tried that. Wish I had your iron constitution!

Last edited by traci in training; 03-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

It's funny, but I have a number of times found that simply having the same thing every day eventually makes me hungry. Just changing to a different breakfast, or a different lunch, and suddenly I feel so full. Until I've been eating the new dish too much , then it's time for a change.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #13  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

For me, eating carbs is not solely about eating carbs, but about timing them. Generally speaking, if I eat bread-type carbs or fruit with a lot of natural sugar (like bananas, or dried fruit) early in the day, then I am setting myself up for a very bad day of blood sugar crashes and ravenous hunger. I have to confine that stuff to the very late afternoon or evening. In the morning and through lunch time, I stick to protein in the form of dairy products, cheese, eggs, meat, fish; plus vegetables and some very low-glycemic fruits (such as berries). That will stabilize my blood sugar and by the time evening comes, I can have a little of those "crashy" carbs without them being a problem.

So for me, a calorie is not a calorie. I must also be very careful with what calories I eat, and when.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #14  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I am curious about something though. My bread/peanut butter/banana fits okay into my overall calorie count, and since I only eat half a banana, natural unsweetened peanut butter, and one slice of whole wheat bread, and since I don't eat rice or pasta, or any other bread, or any other sweet stuff except for yogurt with splenda or small apples...

I mean, I guess I'm just wondering if there is really a consensus that it's just bad to have a carb-based meal? I used to eat bagels, and bread and candy and rice and pasta and cake and donuts and I've given every single one of those things up except for a slice of bread and half a banana...
You've lost 75 lbs eating this for breakfast. It seems like it is working for you!
I don't think there is a concensus here as we are all on different plans. Some people find eating carbs problematic, some don't...Robin lost a ton of weight with what worked for her. She's totally right in saying to not be afraid to make changes or tweak things but I don't think she was saying it was bad to have a carb based meal, she was just saying that it wouldn't work for her.

Your half a banana, healthy peanut butter and wheat bread sounds like a perfectly reasonable breakfast if that is what works for you. If you try something else for breakfast that is more protein based and all of a sudden your hungries go away, then maybe the banana peanut butter yummy goodness wasn't working for you anymore.

This journey seems like one great big science experiment and I love it!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #15  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

great now I want a banana and peanut butter and bread.

GAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately I don't have any of those things in the house.

I'll have to settle for...sugar snap peas and greek yogurt and...ooo some cherry tomatoes.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote