Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default How much money have you spent on your weightloss journey?

I don't mean on food, although I know some people do spend more higher quality foods, organic, etc.

But I'm talking about meetings and memberships and gadgets and gizmos that were purchased specifically for weight loss.

So far, I've been racking up some big bucks, but I expect I'm not alone!

My major purchases to date:

Sensa - that powder you sprinkle on your food that is supposed to increase satiety and help you naturally eat less. I ended up using it for only a week or two before I realized I was forgetting to use it most of the time and I was doing just fine on my own. But I still consider it money well spent because for whatever reason, it was part of the process that got me started on this journey. $150

Wii with balance board and Wii Fit. I had wanted one anyway, so I will admit that the weight loss was a good excuse! lol! I've lost over half the weight so far since getting it, and I absolutely think the increased activity from using it is a big factor. $300

New scale - this was actually free in the sense that I got money back from another purchase so I bought the scale with that. Despite my trauma of having to convert from my old, much more friendly (meaning lower!) scale, this one is definitely more accurate and consistent, and I'm finding those .2 lbs motivating to be able to track. $35

Gowear Fit - the newest "toy" and at least for me, it's been very eye-opening. I knew my loss was slower than I really wanted, but seeing the actual numbers helped me believe that my burn rate isn't that high. So now I'm more motivated to push myself more and I can keep track of that extra effort. I started using it on Sunday and am down 4 lbs. I know that it's unlikely I'll keep that pace, but I do think that this will help me stay on target and hopefully be a bit more consistent with my losses. It's absolutely motivating me to move more, which I already know is a good thing regardless of whether or not that shows up on the scale. $210

$695 - wow! More than I had realized until I started to think about it. So far, that's about $21 per pound lost. eventually, it will be about $6.50 per pound. But if someone told me I could pay $650 to lose 100 lbs, I know I'd say yes!!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Oddly, nothing extra I can think of. I already belonged to the Y, had a food scale, etc. Guess I've just been gearing up before implementing my plan!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Wii Fit & Balance Board $100
EA Sports Active for Wii $60
2 Biggest Loser work-out DVDs $20
Food Scale $10
Digital Scales $25

Total: $215

I have used all of that enough to make them well worth their price, so that's nice.

Last edited by JustSharing83; 03-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #4  
your calories are showing

S/C/G: 286/healthy&fit

Height: 5'5ish

bathroom scale- $12?

tis all.(im thinking of soon investing some heavy weights though)

Last edited by Brit; 03-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #5  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I looked at this a different way....my journey has been a long one, started over 24 years ago. I've spent probably $3000-4000+. I spent literally hundreds on Phen/fen in the 90's, as my insurance wouldn't cover it, then there was Jenny Craig and thier packaged meals, NutriSystem back in the day when it was a center and NOT packaged foods, Weight Watcher's, Curves, 24 hour Fitness, herbal supplements, Ab Rockers, Urban Rebounders, hyp-f'ing-nosis ($500 the guy was a fake-I understand some people are successfull with hypnosis but not by weirdo's like this guy) then there were the "eat a cookie 3x a day instead of food diet" LOL, SlimFast by the case (again some people are successful with this, not me) Oh yeah, the "Lose 40lbs, in 40 days for 40$" diet, buckets of Hydroxycut and TrimSpa. Each time I lost the weight, one time I lost 70 lbs, I gained it all back and then some as I was NOT changing my lifestyle-just dieting for the short term and then went right back to eating crap and drinking a lot of beer until I was fatter and more desperate again.

The saddest and sickest fact of all is that I weighed 165 lbs when I started this journey back in 1986 at 18 years old. I wore a size medium top from the junior dept, size 12, was a 36B and had a tiny little tummy. My boyfriend dumped me because he didn't like "fatties". My first diet I paid for was NutriSystem. I think the lady there should have patted me on the hand and said, "Sweetheart, you look wonderful. Who cares what some 19 year old jerk thinks? Go on home and love yourself. (You might also want to lay off the Oreos and whole milk. Throw in some exercise,look out for the beer in college and steer clear of emotionally abusive boyfriends. )", instead of signing me up for the $25 a month 800 calorie exchange diet that she swore would have me seeing the 130's in no time. I believe 100% that the diet industry is one that is designed to make you fat and fatter/sick and sicker and more desperate with each pound you gain and more likely to part with more money next time.

This is THE cheapest (FREE) and most supportive "non-diet" I've been on as we are all in this together, doing our journey our own way but side by side to cheer eachother on. I've spent nothing this time except on a better pair of shoes, healthier food and a new scale. I've probably saved $100's already on skipping fast food, chips, snacks, junk food at the store and lunches out with work friends.

Great thread, btw.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 03-05-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Ditto to Michelle98272's list, except my programs included Well4Life, Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal, WeightWatchers, Physicians Weight Loss (Phen-Fen), and countless gadgets like hand weights, an ab roller, inflatable exercise "bean" - the cousin to the exercise ball they use now - a treadmill. Of course, I'm sure we've all got more cassette tapes, CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs than we can imagine. I have line dancing, hip hopping, 60 minutes of just walking (that's fun) with a rubber band type device around your shoulders. When I was in high school before we had a VCR, I used my Mom's Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda and Debbie Reynolds (who? I know) 33 1/3 records on a record player. There were fold out pamphlets with pictures of the exercises to follow. Geez. I've been through the ringer. Stop the madness - oh yeah! I bought that Susan Powter book - she was the one with the short, spiky yellow hair. And I got suckered into buying Dr. Phil's book (but he's pretty big himself, isn't he?). OK. I think that's an end to my trip down memory lane.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Nuttin', honey!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Just my bathroom scale...$18.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinThin View Post
Ditto to Michelle98272's list, except my programs included Well4Life, Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal, WeightWatchers, Physicians Weight Loss (Phen-Fen), and countless gadgets like hand weights, an ab roller, inflatable exercise "bean" - the cousin to the exercise ball they use now - a treadmill. Of course, I'm sure we've all got more cassette tapes, CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs than we can imagine. I have line dancing, hip hopping, 60 minutes of just walking (that's fun) with a rubber band type device around your shoulders. When I was in high school before we had a VCR, I used my Mom's Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda and Debbie Reynolds (who? I know) 33 1/3 records on a record player. There were fold out pamphlets with pictures of the exercises to follow. Geez. I've been through the ringer. Stop the madness - oh yeah! I bought that Susan Powter book - she was the one with the short, spiky yellow hair. And I got suckered into buying Dr. Phil's book (but he's pretty big himself, isn't he?). OK. I think that's an end to my trip down memory lane.
Oh My, I had forgot the Susan Powter book, the Richard Simmons Deal a Meal and Sweatin' to the Oldies workout tapes, Dr. Phil's book and Bob Greene's book! Sheesh! What a sucker!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #10  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

My kids wanted the Wii and Wii fit anyway (my son's a snowboarder (and skinny) and there are good games for the wii fit for boarding/skiing).

I just got a new scale today, $30. The last scale told me I weighed 190, 192, and 191 today, so it got fired. It is good to have a backup anyway.
I've spent $70 on gym membership since May 09 (2 5-week "Biggest loser" specials for me and my husband)
A set of handweights, $10
30 day shred, $10
Biggest loser for Wii $20

Is that $140? That's less than I would have spent in Fast Food in a couple of months in the beforetime.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I did buy a new scale, eventually. $99. But that was about fifty pounds in.

I already belonged to the Y.

I have spent a pretty penny on new clothes though!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

a scale $50
some walk away the pounds dvd's $30
resistance bands $10
running shoes $80

ummm... that's it!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

My first purchase? Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred - $15 - I bought this when I saw how great of a motivator Jillian appeared to be. I was happy with and still use it today.

Next... An elliptical machine - $30 - Bought it used from a lady I found on craigslist. Again, something I still use today.

Running shoes - $150 - Best investment to date. I overpronate when I run and these shoes are amazing! No more shin splints or pain anywhere! Wee! I'm still using them today and will continue to invest in new running shoes as needed.

Treadmill - FREE - Lucked out and got this from my step-dad's brother-in-law. Turns out he was cleaning out his garage and wanted to toss it, offered it to my mom and step-dad and they decided they wanted a new one, mentioned it to me on the phone and I got so excited about the prospect they loaded it up that weekend and dropped it off at my place.
(I already had a gym membership sitting rotting unused, )
I believe that's all. I knew from the beginning I didn't want to take any supplements. I wanted to do it all on my own and do something that I could keep up.

Hooray for spending on fitness!!

Last edited by stargzr; 03-05-2010 at 06:23 PM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Oh wow, at first I thought "Nothing! I haven't spent that much at all" but the truth is I bought the Wii to get more active and....
Wii fit/balance board and Biggest loser game ~$320
Used treadmill- $200
Leg weights- $10
Mp3 player (a gift)- $40
Workout clothes- ~$60
New shoes- $30
Running Watch- $25 (but it'll be free once I sell the other two on ebay I got on sale)

I think that's it! Shew

Grand total: $685 minus 65 for watch and mp3 player= $625 Dang!

Last edited by Sarby; 03-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Cheap bathroom scale $15
Two pairs of running shoes $120(need a new pair soon)
Gym membership $30/month $90 bucks so far.

So what is that 235 bucks on weight loss in a year, I don't think that is so bad...
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote