100 lb. Club - How much money have you spent on your weightloss journey?

PeanutsMom704
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't mean on food, although I know some people do spend more higher quality foods, organic, etc.

But I'm talking about meetings and memberships and gadgets and gizmos that were purchased specifically for weight loss.

So far, I've been racking up some big bucks, but I expect I'm not alone!

My major purchases to date:

Sensa - that powder you sprinkle on your food that is supposed to increase satiety and help you naturally eat less. I ended up using it for only a week or two before I realized I was forgetting to use it most of the time and I was doing just fine on my own. But I still consider it money well spent because for whatever reason, it was part of the process that got me started on this journey. $150

Wii with balance board and Wii Fit. I had wanted one anyway, so I will admit that the weight loss was a good excuse! lol! I've lost over half the weight so far since getting it, and I absolutely think the increased activity from using it is a big factor. $300

New scale - this was actually free in the sense that I got money back from another purchase so I bought the scale with that. Despite my trauma of having to convert from my old, much more friendly (meaning lower!) scale, this one is definitely more accurate and consistent, and I'm finding those .2 lbs motivating to be able to track. $35

Gowear Fit - the newest "toy" and at least for me, it's been very eye-opening. I knew my loss was slower than I really wanted, but seeing the actual numbers helped me believe that my burn rate isn't that high. So now I'm more motivated to push myself more and I can keep track of that extra effort. I started using it on Sunday and am down 4 lbs. I know that it's unlikely I'll keep that pace, but I do think that this will help me stay on target and hopefully be a bit more consistent with my losses. It's absolutely motivating me to move more, which I already know is a good thing regardless of whether or not that shows up on the scale. $210

$695 - wow! More than I had realized until I started to think about it. So far, that's about $21 per pound lost. eventually, it will be about $6.50 per pound. But if someone told me I could pay $650 to lose 100 lbs, I know I'd say yes!!!

caryesings
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Oddly, nothing extra I can think of. I already belonged to the Y, had a food scale, etc. Guess I've just been gearing up before implementing my plan!

JustSharing83
03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Wii Fit & Balance Board $100
EA Sports Active for Wii $60
2 Biggest Loser work-out DVDs $20
Food Scale $10
Digital Scales $25

Total: $215

I have used all of that enough to make them well worth their price, so that's nice. :)

Brit
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
bathroom scale- $12?

tis all.(im thinking of soon investing some heavy weights though)

Michelle98272
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I looked at this a different way....my journey has been a long one, started over 24 years ago. I've spent probably $3000-4000+. I spent literally hundreds on Phen/fen in the 90's, as my insurance wouldn't cover it, then there was Jenny Craig and thier packaged meals, NutriSystem back in the day when it was a center and NOT packaged foods, Weight Watcher's, Curves, 24 hour Fitness, herbal supplements, Ab Rockers, Urban Rebounders, hyp-f'ing-nosis ($500 the guy was a fake-I understand some people are successfull with hypnosis but not by weirdo's like this guy) then there were the "eat a cookie 3x a day instead of food diet" LOL, SlimFast by the case (again some people are successful with this, not me) Oh yeah, the "Lose 40lbs, in 40 days for 40$" diet, buckets of Hydroxycut and TrimSpa. Each time I lost the weight, one time I lost 70 lbs, I gained it all back and then some as I was NOT changing my lifestyle-just dieting for the short term and then went right back to eating crap and drinking a lot of beer until I was fatter and more desperate again.

The saddest and sickest fact of all is that I weighed 165 lbs when I started this journey back in 1986 at 18 years old. I wore a size medium top from the junior dept, size 12, was a 36B and had a tiny little tummy. My boyfriend dumped me because he didn't like "fatties". My first diet I paid for was NutriSystem. I think the lady there should have patted me on the hand and said, "Sweetheart, you look wonderful. Who cares what some 19 year old jerk thinks? Go on home and love yourself. (You might also want to lay off the Oreos and whole milk. Throw in some exercise,look out for the beer in college and steer clear of emotionally abusive boyfriends. )", instead of signing me up for the $25 a month 800 calorie exchange diet that she swore would have me seeing the 130's in no time. I believe 100% that the diet industry is one that is designed to make you fat and fatter/sick and sicker and more desperate with each pound you gain and more likely to part with more money next time.

This is THE cheapest (FREE) and most supportive "non-diet" I've been on as we are all in this together, doing our journey our own way but side by side to cheer eachother on. I've spent nothing this time except on a better pair of shoes, healthier food and a new scale. I've probably saved $100's already on skipping fast food, chips, snacks, junk food at the store and lunches out with work friends.

Great thread, btw.

ThinkinThin
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Ditto to Michelle98272's list, except my programs included Well4Life, Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal, WeightWatchers, Physicians Weight Loss (Phen-Fen), and countless gadgets like hand weights, an ab roller, inflatable exercise "bean" - the cousin to the exercise ball they use now - a treadmill. Of course, I'm sure we've all got more cassette tapes, CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs than we can imagine. I have line dancing, hip hopping, 60 minutes of just walking (that's fun) with a rubber band type device around your shoulders. When I was in high school before we had a VCR, I used my Mom's Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda and Debbie Reynolds (who? I know) 33 1/3 records on a record player. There were fold out pamphlets with pictures of the exercises to follow. Geez. I've been through the ringer. Stop the madness - oh yeah! I bought that Susan Powter book - she was the one with the short, spiky yellow hair. And I got suckered into buying Dr. Phil's book (but he's pretty big himself, isn't he?). OK. I think that's an end to my trip down memory lane.

CLCSC145
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Nuttin', honey!

marigrace
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Just my bathroom scale...$18.

Michelle98272
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Ditto to Michelle98272's list, except my programs included Well4Life, Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal, WeightWatchers, Physicians Weight Loss (Phen-Fen), and countless gadgets like hand weights, an ab roller, inflatable exercise "bean" - the cousin to the exercise ball they use now - a treadmill. Of course, I'm sure we've all got more cassette tapes, CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs than we can imagine. I have line dancing, hip hopping, 60 minutes of just walking (that's fun) with a rubber band type device around your shoulders. When I was in high school before we had a VCR, I used my Mom's Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda and Debbie Reynolds (who? I know) 33 1/3 records on a record player. There were fold out pamphlets with pictures of the exercises to follow. Geez. I've been through the ringer. Stop the madness - oh yeah! I bought that Susan Powter book - she was the one with the short, spiky yellow hair. And I got suckered into buying Dr. Phil's book (but he's pretty big himself, isn't he?). OK. I think that's an end to my trip down memory lane.

Oh My, I had forgot the Susan Powter book, the Richard Simmons Deal a Meal and Sweatin' to the Oldies workout tapes, Dr. Phil's book and Bob Greene's book! Sheesh! What a sucker!

weebleswobble
03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
My kids wanted the Wii and Wii fit anyway (my son's a snowboarder (and skinny) and there are good games for the wii fit for boarding/skiing).

I just got a new scale today, $30. The last scale told me I weighed 190, 192, and 191 today, so it got fired. It is good to have a backup anyway.
I've spent $70 on gym membership since May 09 (2 5-week "Biggest loser" specials for me and my husband)
A set of handweights, $10
30 day shred, $10
Biggest loser for Wii $20

Is that $140? That's less than I would have spent in Fast Food in a couple of months in the beforetime.

ubergirl
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I did buy a new scale, eventually. $99. But that was about fifty pounds in.

I already belonged to the Y.

I have spent a pretty penny on new clothes though!

cfmama
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
a scale $50
some walk away the pounds dvd's $30
resistance bands $10
running shoes $80

ummm... that's it!

stargzr
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
My first purchase? Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred - $15 - I bought this when I saw how great of a motivator Jillian appeared to be. I was happy with and still use it today. :)

Next... An elliptical machine - $30 - Bought it used from a lady I found on craigslist. Again, something I still use today.

Running shoes - $150 - Best investment to date. I overpronate when I run and these shoes are amazing! No more shin splints or pain anywhere! Wee! I'm still using them today and will continue to invest in new running shoes as needed.

Treadmill - FREE - Lucked out and got this from my step-dad's brother-in-law. Turns out he was cleaning out his garage and wanted to toss it, offered it to my mom and step-dad and they decided they wanted a new one, mentioned it to me on the phone and I got so excited about the prospect they loaded it up that weekend and dropped it off at my place. :D
(I already had a gym membership sitting rotting unused, :o)
I believe that's all. I knew from the beginning I didn't want to take any supplements. I wanted to do it all on my own and do something that I could keep up.

Hooray for spending on fitness!!

Sarby
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh wow, at first I thought "Nothing! I haven't spent that much at all" but the truth is I bought the Wii to get more active and....
Wii fit/balance board and Biggest loser game ~$320
Used treadmill- $200
Leg weights- $10
Mp3 player (a gift)- $40
Workout clothes- ~$60
New shoes- $30
Running Watch- $25 (but it'll be free once I sell the other two on ebay I got on sale) ;)

I think that's it! Shew

Grand total: $685 minus 65 for watch and mp3 player= $625 Dang!

Mikayla
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Cheap bathroom scale $15
Two pairs of running shoes $120(need a new pair soon)
Gym membership $30/month $90 bucks so far.

So what is that 235 bucks on weight loss in a year, I don't think that is so bad...

sun
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
120.00 Eddie Baran exercise book +dvd
80.00 P90X System
10.00 Pull up bar
10.00 weights
5.00 resistance bands

7.5 for each lb lost so far!
3.25 for each lb by time I reach goal

Each thing helped me loose and is helping me keep loosing. Not bad for me ladies :)

TJFitnessDiva
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I'll start with my reward for reaching goal lol
$500 on an elliptical cross trainer
$100 on various dvd's (I got a lot of them!)
$19 on the wii biggest loser game
$15 on Just dance for the wii (traded in some other games)
$150 for my treadmill off of craigslist
around $50 for free weights
$200 or so on various running shoes
and around $480 for belonging to WW my first year :)

all of it's been money well spent over the course of 2 years :D

cfmama
03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh okay... if we're talking goal money...

then tack on $1000 show Rough Collie puppy for my 100 lbs lost
and another $1500 for my UNDER 200 present (another show quality Rough Collie)

TJFitnessDiva
03-05-2010, 08:26 PM
lol most of my list except the WW membership has been goal rewards

roxmysox
03-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I bought a WW calculator off ebay for less than $20.00 and a new scale for SO (the old one was fine for me, but he's over 400 lbs, so needed a special one) and that's it. So, maybe $50.00 max?

FitGirlyGirl
03-05-2010, 09:02 PM
This time?

These are all approximations, but it's close to accurate

Wii, balance board, and several of the more active games for it (I have wii fit and then wii fit +, a gold's gym one, and jillian michaels so far)- $360

Body Bugg with extas + renewal subscription for another year - $340

Elliptical - $70

Hand weights, resistance bands, etc. - $80

shoes - $160

DVDs - $120 (I have lots)

gym clothes/towels - $60

lock for use at the gym - $3

New scale - $30

Food scale and then replacement batteries- $25

SlimQuick - $270

Book - $110

Grand total - $1628

A Brand New Me - Priceless

ThinkinThin
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh my gosh - the many pairs of shoes and the multiple gym memberships - I forgot about those! Boy, this is adding up! But, it's true that the amount spent is still 1/10 of what I've spent on junk food!

weebleswobble
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
ooo I bought some Shape-ups. $75. I forgot, because I haven't worn them yet...foot injury. :)

Thighs Be Gone
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I have had to purchase two pairs of running shoes at $110 a pair. I also invested in an IPOD and regularly download songs. I don't do gyms, trainers, or meetings. I have all the info. I need here at 3FC!

I bought a $30 scale. $1 measuring tape. I bought one DVD for $4 for when it storms outside.

VermontMom
03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
When I was in high school before we had a VCR, I used my Mom's Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda and Debbie Reynolds (who? I know) 33 1/3 records on a record player. There were fold out pamphlets with pictures of the exercises to follow. Geez.

LOl!!! I was in my early 20's when I attempted those...do you all know how f'ing frustrating it was to jump and exercise and move to an album playing and the damn needle jumps and you lose your place :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and trying to study the fold outs to see what you were supposed to be doing..I lost interest SO quickly.

Most of my money has been spent on videos and now some dvd's. From where I am sitting I count 21 VCR tapes; a few of them I did get at yard sales for $1 but others were bought from collagevideo.com. Any weights I use, we either had or DH bought them as gifts for me (my one pound soft handies, my 3.3 pounders, my 5 pounders) I have a hard foam step that we bought years ago for a minimal price; I did have a regular step platform but it cracked.

I did buy a Curves membership but had it for less than a year.

New balance cross trainers, or some other brand, average one pair a year.

Lifeguard
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't think I want to add it up, but between WW, Herbal Magic (Canada), Optifast, many, many years of gym memberships & personal training the total would be ridiculous. It is something that causes me a great deal of guilt when I think about all the money that is spent & here I am still struggling with my weight.

Asherdoodles87
03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
The only thing I have purchased is a work out DVD for $9. Oh, and I paid only $25 dollars to meet with a dietitian four times. My college has one that is discounted to students. I'm a college student who still lives at home so my parents have been purchasing my healthy food for me while I continue my education. My school has a recreation center with tons of workout equipment for students for free. My boyfriend helps train me so I don't have to pay for a personal trainer.

I have only dieted once before, and I didn't spend much money then either. I guess I'm really lucky. I didn't really think about it. I have a lot of people to thank for helping me.

catherinef
03-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Lots of money on interim clothing, but other than that, the only real weight-loss specific items I can think of are my kitchen and bathroom scales. So about fifty bucks?

BeachBreeze2010
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Before I started this journey, I injured my ankle (very likely from obesity) and spent lots of money on that. $100s for physical therapy and dr visits. Then, I spent $200 at Naturalizer on shoes that I could wear with my orthotic and another $100 for New Balance shoes that fit with my orthotic. I actually bought my exercise bike at this time to help with physical therapy ($250). I am not sure how much to allocate to weight loss. Before I hurt my ankle, I was able to walk/jog for fitness and would probably have only needed the NB shoes.

After all of that, I bought a scale yesterday for $25. I still have the weights and other various exercise gizmos from previous attempts. My plan used to be to buy something to start again and somehow the lbs only come off when you actually use the things you buy! *doh*

Now that I am down almost 25lbs, I won't have to buy my shoes from Naturalizer any time soon. I don't need my orthotic as often. I will keep buying NB shoes as they wear out. And I have enough of the basics from previous attempts that I will actually get use out of my previous purchases.

My bottom line - obesity is expensive, a healthy lifestyle is MUCH cheaper!

Hyacinth
03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh man. How have I not lost thee? Let me count the ways ...

stationary bicycle (free, craigslist), cheapo row machine ($15, garage sale), treadmill (free, craigslist)

belly-dance videos (about 10 of them), hula video, Leslie Sansone's WATP (3 of them), 10-minute workouts video,
yoga video, NYC Ballet workout video

belly dance classes, hula classes, cardio-salsa classes, water aerobics classes, yoga classes

all the associated products needed for these classes, like a jingly belly-dance hip scarf, shoes, bathing suit, leotard (?!), yoga mat,

US Swim and Fitness membership, Curves membership, Weight Watchers memberships (at 2 different times), TOPS membership,
Spa Petite (a 70s gym that had a children's program), A membership at a place that started as a diet center and ended up selling meal-replacement tablets

Exercise ball, hand weights, pedometers, elastic bands, sessions with a nutritionist (two different times), sessions with a therapist,
a session with a personal trainer, bicycle, running/walking/hiking shoes, hiking stick

And now, the books: Susan Powter books, Mediterranean Diet, Sonoma Diet, Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates, French Women Don't Get Fat, South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers cookbook, Low Carb Cookbook, Macrobiotics books, Ayurvedic books, The 3FC Book, Fat is a Feminist Issue, Camryn Manheim's book, Michael Pollan's books, Overeaters Anonymous books, Frances Kuffel's first book (although Angry Fat Girls looks good, too)

The sad thing is, this is not a complete list, I'm sure!

It's hard to say, because a lot of these things I'd buy out of personal interest (various cookbooks, hiking shoes), or for my family (YMCA membership, bicycles). Do the thousands of gallons of Diet Coke count?

I lost 80 pounds before, and the most helpful thing was probably my inexpensive TOPS membership, walking and eliminating processed foods.

I guess the moral of the story is, there is no PRODUCT that is going to do this for me. It seems I have (or have had - I've given away much of it) every resource created for weight loss, and still have many of those resources. Lack of resources can NOT be an excuse. :)

ChrissyBean
03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Currently I spend $140 on Zumba every 10 weeks or so (it's an expensive class, but I'm hooked and having so much fun). We just bought an elliptical for $300. We just bought a new belt for our treadmill, $57. The buying more fresh fruits and veggies is more expensive, but worth it. I can usually make my running shoes last 6 months or so. My exercise clothes come from Walmart or Zellers. I just have a regular iPod (nano?) with $25 headphones. OH, and I spent $9.99 on a nice Italian leather belt to keep my jeans up. :)

catowned
03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
First thing was a WW membership. I'm not sure how much I spent, I'm guessing around $200. I knew many people that lost a lot of weight with them, so I thought I was investing in a good program.:( (waste of $)

Then it was Firm VHS tapes ($30?) and $15 to build my own step. I got a lot of use out of it. My cat loved the step! I built two of them and put a carpet sample on top. I wish I had the tools to build another one. :carrot:

Then it was WATP VHS. I loved these! I showed them to my dr and he said they wouldn't do anything for me! :( (This is where hindsight is 20/20 I should have ignored his advice!!! :mad: I was 160 lbs at the time! Heavy for 5'1 but still better than 245..)

Body for Life book - I gave this away but I'm doing a modified version of it now!:hug:

Various used diet books. I have bought most of these on paperbackswap or for cheap used on half.com or amazone used. I've given most away. Estimate around $200 ?

Urban Rebounder ($120) (My child has gotten a lot of use from this! It's very sturdy if your looking for one!)

Six Week Body Makeover and Advanced Sculpting ($200?) (This is a good program but I could not keep up with the meals.)

Turbo Jam $65

GNC shakes $20

at least $500 on HCG stuff. Does this work for anyone? I'm in the yahoo groups - it didn't do anything for me but people rave about it. (waste of $)

Used DVDs on amazon. Hip Hop Abs, WATP, The Firm

Food Mover $25 & online membership $30 (I plan to join again when I can afford it. :carrot:)

Acia and Tea supplements $50 (waste of $)

Cookie Diet $250 (This is a very good easy to follow program but I broke a tooth on a cookie 2 weeks ago. :( I plan to start the shakes soon.)

I bought a Body for Life Journal recently for $8 and am using it.

I might have forgot some! This summer I thought I was moving so I gave away a lot of stuff. What a fun thread! :hug:

Thank goodness for libraries my total would be a lot higher! :lol:

ThinkinThin
03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=catherinef;3187251]Lots of money on interim clothing QUOTE]

Ay yes, people keep reminding me of things. I've bought and given away several wardrobes over the years. Yikes.

emilydreaming
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
A scale (I didn't even own one before), $25
WATP DVDs, $15
New running shoes, $50
Yoga classes (before my apartment starting offering them for free), $125
Yoga mat, $20

And I'm starting personal training for six weeks at the end of March, which will run me $250.

lookingtobehealthy
03-06-2010, 03:22 PM
0$
Just started walking and eating less, and eating veggies instead of crap....

saef
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
This is dying for one of those ads that total up expenses and then end with something like:

"Improved blood pressure, improved blood sugar, visible muscles, more male attention than I know how to handle sometimes, fitting in lovely clothes, being able to walk all day in Manhattan without getting tired, eating interesting new foods that I have never tried before, teaching myself how to cook rather than surviving on frozen microwaveable food, taking up swimming after not daring to put on a swimsuit for about 20 years ... Priceless."

Cuter w Curves
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I popped over to read this section and read this thread and as I read it I shook my head a little... laughed a little... cringed a little and then thought:

Yes I paid for the gym membership and then got too sick to use it.
I paid for workout clothing and shoes.
I am currently paying for Optifast...

But how much did I really spend in comparison between trying to lose the weight when I think about how much it cost to get me here.

It made me think... HOLY CRAP it's bloomin expensive to grow a big ***!

(Canadian so keep that in mind with my $$ amounts)

$3.93 for Optifast... $10+ for a Baconator combo with a rootbeer frosty float and fries.

$0 for 750 ml water... $1.79 for 750ml bottle of pop.

$2.50 for a bag of 12-16 apples... $2.50 for a 4 pack of pudding snacks.

I'm not saying it is always less expensive to eat healthier but this stuff makes me cringe.

So back to the purpose of the thread... For all time my total costs to date are:

400/1 year on gym membership - which I had to cancel due to illness - not to lack of use for the first 6 months - just the last 6.
0/ever on tapes.
35/one time on eat right for your blood type
120/total on Iso-Lean when I was hitting the gym regularly.
400/1 year I was at gym for nutritionist
250/1 year for running shoes and workout clothing - 4 pants + 8 tops (lived in them when I got sick - great investment)
220/2 weeks of Optifast - this number will grow for a bit if it works for me.
25/over time - chickweed tea - admittedly picked it up to lose a bit of water weight and keep it on hand so if things are not... clearing... I can give it a hand. Use it 5 times a year maybe.

So to date 1450 to try to get my arse in gear vs the thousands spent getting here... Err... For me that is kind of a kick in the pants. Just saying.

Gracie789
03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Since January 2009 I haven't spent any money on my weight loss (aside from new clothes). I had a few pilates/yoga DVD's and supplies from previous exercise attempts, and all my other exercise DVD's I've gotten free from friends. Even though I'm eating healthy now and that can be a bit expensive, I'm pretty sure I've saved a few thousand dollars by not eating fast food or junk food. :)

astrophe
03-06-2010, 10:29 PM
This year? For 2010?

Replace my old HRM that died -- 85.

Replace my sneakers that wore out -- 80. (I do this 2 times a year, so this is the first one.)

Replace old sportbrain pedometer thingie with fitbit $100.

3 new sports bras and 3 new fitness pants = $100 ish?

5 new fitness DVDs that I'm enjoying = $70

$435 so far. I expect to have to get at least another sneakers this year, and possibly more bra/pants as I shrink if I can't find someone to trade me.

So let's call it at least another $180 by year end? That puts me at $615 for the year.

A.

MomtoThree
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Let's see just for this time at losing weight:
WW online membership $60 for 3 months. I will be canceling after the 3 months. Calculating points is too much for me. I will stick with calorie counting

Go Wear Fit $300 - If I continue to use it it will be money well spent.

oodlesofnoodles
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Well since I'm only in college, I spend most of my spare money on weight loss related stuff. Whether it be groceries, my WW membership, snacks to go, work out clothes, something I realize I need. But it's worth it. It's better than buying beer or something I don't need.

I still need new running shoes (BADLY), to pay for the Race for the Cure 5K, I'd like a HRM. I've been lucky to get a lot of things I need as gifts, my parents to pay for things, or people I know to happen to have what I need laying around and giving it to me. But it's still a pricey journey!

lizziep
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
oh god thinking about it - makes me feel like a sucker... but here goes...
Michael Thurmonds 6 week body makeover (that sob had me eating 1/8th of a can of tuna on a lettuce leaf and calling it lunch)
suzanne Somers book on food combining (too complicated)
the south beach diet book
winning by losing by Jillian Michaels (though i do feel like i learned something from this one)
Walk Away the Pounds- the four tapes and diet plan
a couple other "dieting" cookbooks
Tae Bo
Wii Fit (we used it twice, once to try it out, a second time to make my sister in law do it so we could laugh at her)
Two years of gym membership - not consecutive
expensive swimming suit for me- for said gym
like a bazillion sugar free candy bars - the diarrhea came free with those
and about $2K on a really nice professional recumbent exercise bike
2 bathroom scales- first one broke, shocking! lol
three mp3 players
set of hand weights, and ankle weights.

and out of those... I use the bike, the weights, the scale, the mp3 player. i don't even want to think about how much money this actually is. not to mention- protein bars i took one bite of and threw away, special drinks that made me gag, etc. and guess what?! still fat!!

mandisa
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Lets see how much have i spent to lose weight,Well aside from joining WW close 2 a dozen times not much. Maybe $30.00 on weights, resistance bands,a couple of walk of the pds vids and a Denise Austin vid.This year I joined a gym for about $190.00, but thats because I live in an old house with creaky floors.My downstairs neighbor always complained when i did my Leslie Sansone videos.Oh yea I bought a digital food scale for half price about $9.00. So not to bad I think.:smug:

duckyyellowfeet
03-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Lets think. I stole my mother's old WW stuff, so I guess I shouldn't count that...

I spent $18 on a WW cookbook.
$30 on New Balance sneakers
$40 on a sports bra
$15 on black stretchy pants to work-out in
$13 on the Jillian Micheal's DVD (which I gave to my mothers, so i guess I paid her back for stealing her WW stuff...)
$20 on a bathroom scale
$20 on a food scale
And I have a $5 prescription for whichever of phen/fen combination is the safer one. I might spend another $5 if i decide to refill for another month.
I've bought a few assorted clothing items as well, but I don't really count that. I would have needed new jeans and bras regardless of their size.
Oh. and I pay $80 a semester for gym at my school (Which i'm paying interest on by using student loans)....But I would have paid for that regardless of actually using the gym or not
Under $200 total. Worth every single freaking penny

Dawn415
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Over the years, WAY TOO MUCH!

I did Lindora, personal trainer for 6 weeks, Jenny Craig, WW, Curves membership off and on, and the list goes on.
:dizzy:

Onederchic
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Only thing I have purchased is hand weights...I have a set of 5lb and a set of 10lb.

2phatinvictoria
04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
heres the rough..
Jenny Craig (2 years ago)- 2500 $
Scale- 30 dollars
Gym Memberships- 700-800 dollars (2 years ago...)
My current Gym membership= 50/month
Wii fit and board - 100 dollars..
Diet pills- 200 dollars (when i was being stupid)
Weight watchers- ( 45 dollars) 2 years ago
i could go on
NOW
I only pay for my gym membership.. You dont need to spend tons of money like i did.. I had to change my life and mindset which i have finally done it has taken 5 years but im happy im doing a modified weight watchers (i found all the info online so its free for me, i already had a scale.. and i just but better food :)

Onederchic
04-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I agree with the not having to pay a ton of money to lose weight. I track my calories for free at sparkpeople.com and I work out for free at home. So far I've lost 155 pounds so it's paying off.

Karen925
04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Tanita scale $70 free shipping Christams present from DH
WATP $10 WalMart after using Netflixs for a month and enjoyed it.

$80 total.
What a sweet deal! Cheapest and most satisfying weight loss I have ever had.

fra
04-09-2010, 05:38 AM
well.....
I got a wii fit as a gift from my whole family so I guess it doesn't count as expence ;P 0
I use my late grandma's stationary bike so that came free, too. 0
I use my brother's old semi-broken 3kg weight, also free.. 0
I use the elastic resistance band my mom used for rehabilitation of her shoulder years ago, again free 0

I spent 13 for an exercise ball which i actually play with cause it's fuuun :P
I spent 3 for a yoga mat to exercise on the floor
I spent 6 for a mp3 arm band holder :)
so I guess I was lucky to total at 22 (about 29$) only in 2 years :]

synger
04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
This time? Nothing much more than my glucose monitor, and healthy food (including an internet order for coconut oil to cook with). I have all the other stuff I need already.

Throughout the years?

In high school: Ayds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds)appetite suppressant "candy"
Dexatrim
an LP exercise record (I still can't listen to some of those songs without thinking of exercise)
In college: a gym membership that lapsed
After college: About 20 videos (I like a mixture)
About 20 books, including cookbooks (I tend to borrow from the library before buying)
A mail-order Pritikin program: each week you'd get another booklet and some recipes, and put them in a binder
Resistance bands, small hand weights
a weight bench with lat pull-down, and extra weights (fortunately, my husband had some weights, too)
Yoga blocks, mat, book (yoga for wimps... great for the inflexible!), videos
Elliptical machine (biggest single purchase)
Walking/running shoes and hiking boots (lots of other equipment for hiking and camping, but that's not JUST for weight loss)
work-out bras and shorts (worn with regular t-shirts

Smiling_Sara
04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
The only big purchases I've made was a gym membership at 34 a month, and I did buy a Polar calorie counting device to wear to see how much I burn.

That's been it, really. Some new clothes on the weigh down, but I haven't kept track of that money spent. ( and for good reason too! ;)

angelskeep
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Let's see.

richard simmons videos on ebay less than $20 I think for the 5 cd set
pedometer $35
WATP video $10
tiny little 2 lb. weights $8-ish for 2

I think that's it because I already had bicycling stuff. So, under $100 tota.

Barb

JustBeckyV
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
New clothes - work out and non lol Probably don't wanna know the actual total as I do love to shop!
Treadmill - 1500
Shoes & Pedometer - 250

SnowboundChick
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I can't even put a price on the stuff I've bought over the years, I've only been serious about this for about 4 years minus after I had my last son. But I've purchased in no particular order.

Running shoes (don't know how many)
Elliptical
Numerous DVD's
Books, books and more books
Treadmill (yard sale)
workout clothes
Resistance bands and tubes
Weights
Yoga mat
Scales
Pedometers
Food scale
ipod and lot' s of music
organic food
recently a urban rebouder, more for the boys but discovered that it's useful workouts for us that was $99.95
I think that's it.

synger
04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Oh, and of course, from some five years ago (if anyone remembers), my BIKE (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/65250-biking.html)!!