100 lb. Club - Ok..totally grossed out - warning - gag material here...

S.A.S.H
03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
THIS WAS IN MY SPINACH!!!!!!! (see attached files)

Omg..so gross. The worst part, it was in my mouth!!!!!!! :eek: I had eaten almost the whole can of spinach (after rinsing) and I crunched on something hard that felt like stem. I spit it out and commenced puking. I actually crunched the bugger!! It still has eyes, legs, antennae..everything!

Needless to say delmonte and I had a serious talk about 5 mins later. I think it's a cricket or a grasshopper....it doesn't look like a roach thank god.

Chew carefully ya'll......

JackiG
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
OMG, I am sorry you had to go through that. That is very nasty!! What is Delmonte going to do to make that up to you?

S.A.S.H
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
They want to me to save the bug and send it to them so they are sending an envelope. They also said they would send me some coupons :lol: Umm I don't think I'll be eating your products for a while. I understand that it could happen to anyone, it's hard to get the bugs out of the leaves, etc and this stuff happens...but forgive if I've lost my taste for you for a while. :lol:

chubbyteenmom
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
EW EW EW!!!!! thank god wasnt a roach!

PeanutsMom704
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I'd say a cricket or something. Gross, but I guess at least it proves the food was freshly picked! LOL!

hope that Delmonte is doing something really great to make up for it!

Lyn2007
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I saw on CNN someone got a tiny, whole FROG in their fresh pack spinach once... I always pick through my spinach oh-so-carefully now... eww!

VernDern
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Im soooo sorry. I just puked in my mouth a little...haha jk but OMG I wouldve freaked totally out.

I would think they would atleast send your money back or something.

ShylahEQ
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
o.m.g.

ewww! I don't think I would have been as grossed out if you found it before you ate the spinach, bugs, whatever. kwim? but to crunch it IN YOUR MOUTH.

ugh. I think I may skip lunch now. low cal day here I come ROFL

zamzam
03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Gross!

GirlyGirlSebas
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Ugh! I have that brand of spinach in my pantry. I don't imagine I'll be eating it anytime soon!

L R K
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
ewww ... that is a little gross .. at least you found it right??!?

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
omg that makes me wonder how many times i may have eaten a bug from a can of delmonte spinach and not realized .... im never eating any kind of spinach again .... im so grossed out im getting shivery

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
im sorry you had to go through that my eyes are tearing up for you ... seriously if i had it in my mouth i would have cried and balled im very very very picky about food ....... that just isnt right .... they should accommadate you better than some lousy coupons for thier crappy products .... i would have told them that too

evilwomaniamshe
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Bonus- think of the "free protein" in that sucker! :) Just kidding- holy crap that was in the canned spinach- yikers!

marigrace
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I would at least keep photos....or make them come over to have a look...something like that happened to a friend of mine...it was a piece of wood in a donut...They also wanted him to send the evidence to them...he did, and never heard from them again...this should be worth more than some coupons.

FitGirlyGirl
03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I am so sorry that this happened to you. I agree, definitely worth more than coupons and if I were you I would insist on more.

TJFitnessDiva
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
They are a fact of life & are the reasons why I rinse canned, fresh, & frozen veggies. (just wait till you get a spider in your bunch of grapes lol) If the plants were grown in some dome to keep out outside forces then I would be amazed it was there but they aren't.

Mail it to them, if nothing happens then take it as a lesson learned. It just happens sometimes! Now it were something like someones finger I'd be concerned :lol:

MindiV
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Gross!!! Reminds me of the time we found a weird looking fly in a can of Bush's baked beans...not a "Texas" fly...a foreign, striped fly. Ick!

Michelle98272
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
when I was in a restaurant. It perfectly blended in with the salad. I thought he was really cute! He was about the size of a dime. I complained to the waitress who then got the manager who was going to take the frog. I asked what he wanted to do with it and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said he'd put it down the sink or in the garbage! I told him I'd keep it. I loosely wrapped it in a wet napkin and put it in my purse. I went to a pet store later and asked the gal if she knew what it was. It was an "American Green Tree Frog". I didn't have aset up to keep it so the lady offered to put it in there terrarium with other tree frogs.

A dead bug in a can of spinach would be a different story!! Yuck-o!

Trazey34
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
blech! so gross!! sorry that happened to you!!! last year my dad had a BEE in his spinach, a dead gold and black bumble bee!!!

famograham
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think that is good enough compensation!
I had a Kraft Delissio pizza fall apart in my oven, through the racks! (HORRID mess!)

They sent me a cheque for $50.00 and practically begged my forgiveness!

Lucky Charm
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Okay, ew, ew, ew!

Kind of goes to prove that nothing, absolutely nothing, is safe.

I got one of those wrapped, already made turkey sandwiches from walmart once. And found heart-shaped pink sprinkles in them. Which of course isn't as bad as this.

jewelrymaker81
03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Okay, ew, ew, ew!

Kind of goes to prove that nothing, absolutely nothing, is safe.

I got one of those wrapped, already made turkey sandwiches from walmart once. And found heart-shaped pink sprinkles in them. Which of course isn't as bad as this.

lol, that's funny! Kinda scary though. I can't believe they won't do more to compensate you for finding a bug in your food. I mean, I know it happens, and I wouldn't be protesting to have them shut down or anything like that, but they should do something more for you.

JustSharing83
03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
That is just horrible! I am very glad you shared your experience with us though because I will definitely pay closer attention to my packaged/canned food from now on!!

Summerblue
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
ZOIKES that would freak me out too!

LitChick
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Ew, that is so gross! I have never eaten canned spinach, and after seeing that, don't think I will be. Yuck.

Arctic Mama
03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
You poor thing, that's absolutely awful! Those better be some darn good coupons!

lizziep
03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
yuck! reason number 785 not to eat canned veggies.

then again you never know - i got some raspberries from a farmers market and out crawled some sort of larvae. on my plate. on top of my chocolate cake. probably a good thing. lol.

also found a worm squirming out of an ear of corn & i screamed and threw it across the kitchen. lol. i shudder to remember it.

ThinkinThin
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Now THAT will make me lose weight! :barf:

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Now THAT will make me lose weight! :barf:

lmao very true ... im now second guessing evreything lolSz im SCARED to eat ... this could be the next big thing for me ... ill stick to being scared i like this .... lolz

btw ... i thought it was funny that the numbers of your current weight and goal weight are the same ... you can do it ... re-arrange those numbers !! .... random ... i know

RienQueNny
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
O.M.G. That's absolutely disgusting. And I'm not afraid of bugs at all... but that is so so disgusting.

traci in training
03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I love fresh spinach but can't stand the canned stuff. Not even going to try anymore!!!

PinkyPie
03-06-2010, 11:29 AM
eep!!!! yeah it CAN happen but the hope is that it doesn't!!!

had some weird green bug in my fresh broccoli once... I hadn't rinsed it first before steaming and it popped up out at me when I was ready to eat it! I'm surprised it survived the 10 minutes on the stove!

still. I didn't eat broccoli for a while after that!!

ThinkinThin
03-06-2010, 11:34 AM
btw ... i thought it was funny that the numbers of your current weight and goal weight are the same ... you can do it ... re-arrange those numbers !! .... random ... i know

I hope I did this quote thing right above.

I know; my numbers look like their lucky. I should play them in the lotto. If only they were a typo! :^:

AzimuthRing
03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Oh wow. Yuck. I had a similar experience with a bag of spinach I purchased at the grocery store. I was cooking and was just about to reach inside the already opened bag, and I noticed the leaves were moving around. Out crawled a bug very much like your photo. I threw a cup over it and waited outside for my brother to come kill it.

I wanted to move out :) I think I had been in my place for less than a year.

IF you eat any type of packaged food or fresh fruit/veggies, you have eaten a bug. I just would prefer not to actually see it alive and kicking.

astrophe
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Finding them in produce is a fact of life -- that doesn't bother me much, esp since I grow veggies in the garden.

But yeah -- finding him in your MOUTH is something else... not pleasant!

A.

chickybird
03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I once found a moldy twig in my bag of fresh spinach--I returned it to the store, but didn't even think about calling the company!