Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #1  

Smile Anyone Taking St. John's Wort?

I am taking a standardized St. Johns Wort extract for depression, in lieu of prescription meds. I did this several years ago and it helped greatly. So I'm doing it again.

Is anyone else taking this herb? It is widely used in Germany and the rest of Europe for depression, but I don't think it's as popular here.
tealover9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #2  
Keep on Walkin'

S/C/G: 320/*Ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

I use it too and I love it. I'm all about using herbal medicine. I like to buy the dried plant in bulk off the internet and make my own tinctures at home. It's more affordable for me. I think it works wonders. I was on Prozac for a short time and I hated the side effects.
NiftyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #3  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

S/C/G: 215/192.4/140

Height: 5' 7"

Arrow St. John's Wort

I took it for a long time and saw no positive effects, then I found out my blood type isn't supposed to take that herb.

What's helped me most is staying away from soy oil & wheat & dairy. Dr. Hayman has found soy oil causes brain swelling. I cannot post links in my message here about him cuz I 'm still a noob other wise I would post one on his findings. It was something he noticed when working with children who had been diagnosed with 'autism', he suspected they were having an allergic reaction. The soy oil that caused the brain swelling was causing them all kinds of problems, poor lil kids.

But that stuff is in nearly all processed food, fast food! Arg! Lot's of restaurants use it too! I notice I feel depressed the day after eating something fried in it.

I have had other people tell me that St. John's wort works great. I believe them, I guess you need a certain chemistry for some herbs to work.

When I'm having a bad monthly I take one of my herbal sleeping pills during my waking hours. It has valerian, hops, skullcap. All are a natural sedative. Not too good for the libido LOL
rebeccamichelle777 is offline   Reply With Quote