Calorie Counters - Chipotle craving smushed!!!

View Full Version : Chipotle craving smushed!!!

Aiesline
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
So DH decided he needed a break from work and has taken the last two days off. I love having him home , however he eats out for lunch daily. This was our conversation

DH: Wanna go out to lunch.
ME: No.
DH: I'm craving texmex
Me: That's nice
DH: We could go to Chipotle it's cheap and good.
me: It's off plan
DH: You can have their bowl.. Thats better right?
me: Still 1000+ calories in that bowl
Dh: Have a light dinner?
Me: no. How about I cook
DH : What ever I still want Chipotle
me: Great Now I WANT chipotle

So I went to my kitchen and made the following

5 oz chicken pan grilled in butter flavoured pam - 145
1 LARGE whole wheat tortilla -100
bit of ff cheese- 25 carefully measured calories worth
Ranch (my version ranch flavouring mixed with 0 fat greek yogurt) 25
brown rice made with salsa -80ish
lettuce >5

Whole wrap 380 ish calories

DH: That was as good as going out
me: I know
DH: that couldn't have been low calorie
me: it was
dh: It had cheese and sour creame
me : cheese yes sour creme no
dh: it wasn't low cal
me: ok keep thinking that

Chipotle-0 Me-1

Just thought I would share.

Shannon in ATL
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Fantastic!

utgirl09
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Thank goodness I don't have a Chipotle in my area or I would want it all the time. It is the only restaurant I ever crave. I have ate there like 3 times in my life, but I love it so much. Good for you for resisting Chipotle!

nelie
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I can get a bowl for 400 calories although I generally get a salad at chipotle for around 350. Chipotlefan.com is great for figuring out the calories. Although making at home is a lot cheaper :) Chipotle is one of my on plan places to eat though so I like going there once in a while.

club
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Awesome Job...

You made my day brighter!

westernsoutherngirl
03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I love the dialogue! Sounds exactly like my DH! Good for you!

JennyG
03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
That's one of the best things I've read all day! good for you!!

diary
03-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Great idea for mexican food that's good for you!

Well-played!

Aiesline
03-04-2010, 06:50 PM
awww thanks guys :) now to figure out what to do for dinner since that chicken was dinner. LOL.

SandiCO
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Now I'm hungry!

WhipWeightLoss
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
That's awesome. I'll have to use that recipe when I get the craving. Chipotle is one of my fave's for that type of food.

Thankfully, their burritos are large enough for two meals. It's still not the best-balanced meal (even at half-size), but at least you're keeping the calories down a bit.

Just drink plenty of water to flush out the mega-salt you're taking in!

walking2lose
03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Are there really 1,000 calories in a chipotle bowl??? I usually get a chicken bowl! Oy!!

nelie
03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Are there really 1,000 calories in a chipotle bowl??? I usually get a chicken bowl! Oy!!

It depends what you get in it. I went to chipotlefan.com and did the calorie counts for the bowl my husband usually gets and it is 400 calories. I usually don't get rice so my bowl is about 350 (with guacamole).

jamleigh78
03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
That's awesome. Sounds like a good meal too :)

mkyice
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Woo Hoo! Good for you. It's hard to pass on eating out.

Aiesline
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
If you get the bowl with all the goodies yes. Meat, beans, and rice are all calorie dense. Cheese, guac, and sourcreme pile on more calories, the corn salsa adds a fairly good amount too. That all comes in at 915 calories... add some wiggle room for error on behalf of the preparer and boom 1000 calories.

NorthernExposure
03-04-2010, 11:59 PM
According to the chipotle website, a chicken or steak burrito (WITH the 300 calorie tortilla), beans, rice, cheese, sour cream and tomatillo salsa is about 950 cals. So I would guess a bowl (assuming the same amounts of the same ingredients) is about 650? Definitely not "diet", but not the worst choice you could make. At least it's not deep fried!

nelie
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
According to the chipotle website, a chicken or steak burrito (WITH the 300 calorie tortilla), beans, rice, cheese, sour cream and tomatillo salsa is about 950 cals. So I would guess a bowl (assuming the same amounts of the same ingredients) is about 650? Definitely not "diet", but not the worst choice you could make. At least it's not deep fried!

Another option is that when me and my husband do happen to get a burrito at Chipotle, we split it. A burrito with rice that we would get is 850 calories (425 each), drop the rice and it is down to 725 calories (362 each).

ncuneo
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
This what I love about having the LoseIt! App on my iPhone. It is really good about having a lot of different restaurants on it. For example, it has every chipotle ingredient on it so you can estimate (you just don't know if the server is sticking to the serving size) your cals. Then you can decide, well I can get EVERYTHING I want and only eat half or I can skip the cheese, guac, sour cream, etc. and eat it all. SO many options! But good for you for making your own at home that is even better and you feel better about yourself, save money and have more control over ingredients and portions.

weebleswobble
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I think you did a great job making "Chipotle" at home, but I can't eat a Chipotle bowl at one sitting, so for me, Qdoba or Chipotle is a good lunch option because I will take it home and eat the remainder the next day and still stay within 1200-1400 calories for the day.

MelodyAngel
03-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Wowza!! I used to love Chipotle, and I haven't eaten there in nearly a year! I am so trying your recipe!! Got any others?? :)

randomcards
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I have to say that Chipotle is one of my favorite fastish food diet locations.

Chicken salad without dressing/cheese, topped with veggies, black beans, and loads of extra salsa.

Super fresh healthy and low calorie.

Of course my old Chipotle meal of a steak burrito with cheese and sour cream with a side of chips and guac is a different story;)

ValentineNicole
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I get a couple hard tacos with beans, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa. It comes to just under 400 calories, and it's DELICIOUS. <3 <3 <3

kaelah
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Good for you! That meal sounds delicious... I might have to make it sometime this week!

Renwomin
03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm so glad that you were able to cook a healthy alternative!

The burrito bowls really aren't 1,000 if you just get the right things in them. A burrito bowl with fajita vegetables, carnitas (I love this, I can't pass it up), all the yummy salsas, and lettuce is listed at 355 calories. http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator

The other day I was CRAVING a burrito from there and instead got a burrito bowl and came home and put it in a lower calorie whole wheat tortilla. The rice, black beans, and cheese don't really add that much flavor for me, but the carnitas really does. It probably around 500 calories, but more than worth it to satisfy my cravings!