Old 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Burn 6,000 calories a day!

Well, my great goal, which won't be until next year anyway, is to hike the Appalachian trail, from Georgia to Maine;; all 2175 miles of it. This has been a dream of mine for a few years already now, and so since I'm graduating in December, I should be all set to leave with no obligations in March.

I'm always reading up on Whiteblaze.net and Trailjournals, and today I came across a post about how hiking the AT is the best weight loss venture out there. Some guy was making jokes about it... because you burn at least 6,000 calories a day hiking up and down mountains with a 30lb backpack. It's impossible to carry enough food to satiate an appetite like that, and thus most people lose a lot of weight over their 5-7 month journey on the trail.

I'm hoping to be closer to my target weight before I leave for this trip anyway, to save the stress on the feet and knees, though I've heard of some people who do no conditioning whatsoever and start the trail. One man started off last year at 320lbs, hoping to lose weight, and by the time he was halfway through the trip, he had lost 75lbs.

Whoot what fun! Does anyone else like hiking?
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

That sounds so exciting!! I haven't hiked in a long time, but I used to love it and always wanted to do longer than an 8-hour trail. I should definitely look into that..probably wouldn't be able to do it next year, but the year after, who knows!
megphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #3  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Everlasting, that is AWESOME! I am so jealous. I love hiking; I live in the Green Mountains and my bf lives just north of the Adirondacks so we do a lot of hiking, but I've never been on a long hike like that. Have you read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson? It's a great funny read about him hiking the trail with a friend; I highly recommend it. Go you!
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #4  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Have you ever read a book called "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson? it's about hiking the appalachian trail. It's excellent. I wouldn't mind the hiking part, but I would for sure mind the sleep in the woods, no toilets, no showers part!

Good luck! It's an awesome goal.

forestroad: I just saw your post write after I posted mine. I love that we mentioned the same book! Bill Bryson's one of my favorites.

Last edited by rosekeet; 03-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #5  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Rosekeet- Mine too! I think Notes from a Small Island is my favorite.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #6  

Haha... actually I randomly checked out that book from the library about 3 years ago, because it had a cute bear on the cover and I simply needed something to read but didn't care.

I read it in the span of a week while I was working at summer camp (which is amazing timing by summer camp standards), and have had Springer fever ever since. I'll attest that the 50lbs I lost since starting college is primarily due to hiking. Everytime March rolls around I'm wishing that I was taking off for Georgia. I've never been on backpacking trips more than a week at a time, and I likely won't have the time to do any until I actually leave for that trip!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

OH that sounds so exciting!!! Before I gained my weight I did a lot of backpacking on the AT between NY and NH. It's so much fun. The Presidentials are a bit rough, I was on Mt Washington with winds of 85 mph. I have the AT thru hike guide and I suggest it if you're going to take the journey. Let me know if you want anymore advice on gear. I have everything one could ever need and know what works and what doesn't due to some earlier mistakes. Take pictures to post when you are done too so I can live vicariously.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #8  

That's great, Selca! My main indecision right now is whether I want to tent or hammock camp. I grew up tenting of course, but I've tried a hammock before as well and it was great. I just am still concerned about variations in weather, etc etc etc.

My other indecision is if I want to live on iodine purified water the entire trip, or get a water pump filter as well. I don't know if all that iodine filtration is good for the body or not!!

Eh... I won't have money available til the end of summer at least anyway, so I have awhile yet to decide!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I do a lot of backpacking! I usually do at least one 4 day 3 night trip each summer and usually a couple of weekend trips as well. I try to do several day hikes throughout the summer as well. I'm usually out in the mountains at least once or twice a week. I love it. It is such a great workout, I'm usually pretty sore after. I can't say how many calories I burn, but I would suspect its alot. The only issue is, I tend to eat high calorie and starch foods when hiking. So I've never noticed a loss while hiking. But still I love it.

Everlasting, you can buy new purification systems that use drops but aren't iodine. It's a set of two bottles that you mix before adding to water. Much faster than pumps, and no yucky iodine taste!
This is what I use, and I've never had a problem. I use them even when traveling overseas.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302696751
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

I met two guys that did this hike and they loved it. There are water purification pills that you can buy (but they said they just drank from streams...) Good luck! I want to see pictures, hear stories. Is the trail set up like in NZ where there are like set up camp sites that you can stop at? Or do you have to set up camp? I'm sure you'll meet lots of people on the way!

I met so many backpackers when I was traveling that backpacked Nepal and they said it was the best experience of their life. BAH, I want to go back traveling now
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #11  
Almost there

S/C/G: 210/147/145

You just gave me the idea for something I want to do next summer or the summer after that! That sounds absolutely incredible! I've always wanted to do a long camping trip solo, and that trail sounds like a perfect way to fill a couple months.

I'm curious about how the trail's set up. Is there any access to stores so you can restock your food, or do you have to bring all you can carry? Are there campsites?

Please keep us posted on how you're doing in your progress and definitely let us know all about it when you do it!
Kirjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm doing this hike in May - you go from DC to Harper's Ferry West Virginia along the C&O canal route - its 62 miles (100K) from start to finish - and you have to do it in 20 hours.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #13  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

S/C/G: 160/139/120ish

Height: 5'1.5"

I have actually never been hiking but have always wanted to go at least try it. I love the outdoors so definitely seems like something I would enjoy.
SpinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

wow, that sounds like an adventure!
maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 171/105/105

Sounds like a great idea! Can't wait to hear how you do. My twin and I backpacked part of the Appalachian Trail when I was about 15 years old, with the Girl Scouts My forty miles of it sounds wimpy compared to what you are doing though

MrsLovett
MrsLovett is offline   Reply With Quote