100 lb. Club - How is this even possible?

View Full Version : How is this even possible?

Eliana
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
How is it possible to eat 800 calories, perform HIIT, and GAIN 1.5 pounds?! I mean, how is that even possible?

I don't care if the argument is eat more calories or eat fewer calories (Ha!), how is that even bloody possible?

And just because I know it will come up, I didn't intend to eat 800 calories yesterday. Call it a slip up. Most people trying to lose weight have a hard time with over eating...I have a hard time with under eating. I feel bad enough already.

ETA: I sat at 198.4 for 11 days, then went to 199 then today 199.8. :(

JennyG
03-04-2010, 07:39 AM
I know, very frustrating! Any chance your TOM is on its way, or here? It could be water retention, I'm sure it'll be gone tomorrow. I know exactly how you feel, but I think alot has to do with being a girl - annoying I know, but it seems we all have the same problems with that dang scale!! your doing awesome BTW!!! I have noticed your progress more than once, and if your like me....HEY You're still in onderland!!!!!

PeanutsMom704
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
sounds like you are probably dehydrated - going that low in calories likely meant you didn't get much water from food that you'd normally get, plus with all that activity too, your body is holding onto every drop.

CHUG the water today - get in TONS, and I'm predicting a whoosh tomorrow!

Eliana
03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Nope, no TOM in sight. And will I be in Onerderland tomorrow? :tantrum:

Thanks for trying. ;) I appreciate the words of encouragement so, so, so much because I'm kinda beating myself up at the moment.

Eliana
03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
sounds like you are probably dehydrated - going that low in calories likely meant you didn't get much water from food that you'd normally get, plus with all that activity too, your body is holding onto every drop.

CHUG the water today - get in TONS, and I'm predicting a whoosh tomorrow!

I drank TONS yesterday! :tantrum: I cut myself off at 8:00 so I wouldn't pee all night.

marigrace
03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
The water seems to play a bigger part than I ever would have imagined.I don't think it actually makes you lose weight.... it just evens out the peaks and valleys so that you can see more gradual progress.

rockinrobin
03-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Hang tough kiddo. I thinks I see a big whoosh headed your way...

Asherdoodles87
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Maybe your body is just tired? Have you been getting plenty of sleep? I noticed sometimes when I am sticking to my diet and to my exercise routine the weight won't come down. The strange thing is if I usually get a really long night of sleep when I wake up in the morning the weights down a little bit.

Has your exercise routine been the same for a while? I am not sure what HIIT is. Your body might be adjusting to your exercise routine. The human body is really efficient at adjusting to things. You may want to do some new exercises or exercise different parts of your body.

I hope it goes down. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Blairsey
03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
One pound could be from anything. Retaining water...retaining poop...:D Our bodies are weird. :dizzy:

Hugs, sweetie! :hug:

Eliana
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes, logically I know it's nothing and I'm quite certain I haven't gained fat. But nothing in this equation makes sense. I've been drinking enough water, taking additional fiber, eating low calories, I have a well established workout routine that I feel is enough but not too much, I get plenty of rest, I'm not stressed, I balance carbs and protein and fiber.

You guys all understand. Weight loss is not linear.

I just got off a plateau. Am I going to be a person who plateaus, loses 4 lbs, plateaus, loses 4 lbs?

This right here is why I gave up before. It was too hard with no results. This time I have two things in my favor....one, I promised myself I'd give it a year. I WILL make that goal. Two, it's not too hard this time. I've kept my exercise in check at a reasonable level and calorie counting is very easy for me.

I just hate the way my body reacts to weight loss attempts. It does not reward my efforts.

TraceyElaine
03-04-2010, 08:40 AM
If you are up 1.5 lbs from the day before and only ate 800cal it is highly unlikely that ANY of that 1.5lbs is fat. You should not weigh everyday. As women we fluctuate in weight by the hour. SOOOO many things come in to play there's no way to know exactly what it is from but that it is likely water retention. There are like a million reasons to retain water. Stress, exhaustion, muscle injury, building muscle, dehydration, under eating and over exercising.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. It is unrealistic (even though i know how you feel) to measure on day of water fluctuation as some sort of failure. You are doing great and have made great progress. Maybe try only weighing once a week. Same time in the AM every time so there is less fluctuation.

You are dong great. Don't let this frustration keep you down.

ncuneo
03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
What you see on the scale today isn't what you ate yesterday, that hasn't metabolised yet. Typically it's the day before or even the day before that that shows up on the scale. Don't be suprised though if it goes up again...since you are at such a low cal level your body is reserving everything and your metabolism has slowed way down.

Eliana
03-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I wish there was a little metabolism dial we could see and say "Yep, eat more" or "Oh, best cut back".

I don't like guessing. *sigh*

Thanks so much for putting up with my whines today! I really need to be able to vent this. I'm feeling better now. :D

ubergirl
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
How is it possible to eat 800 calories, perform HIIT, and GAIN 1.5 pounds?! I mean, how is that even possible?

I don't care if the argument is eat more calories or eat fewer calories (Ha!), how is that even bloody possible?

And just because I know it will come up, I didn't intend to eat 800 calories yesterday. Call it a slip up. Most people trying to lose weight have a hard time with over eating...I have a hard time with under eating. I feel bad enough already.

ETA: I sat at 198.4 for 11 days, then went to 199 then today 199.8. :(

:hug::hug:

That's why weight loss teaches us patience and humility.

I'll never forget a day when I got up early, weighed myself, went back to sleep, got up again 3 hours later, did my business, figured that since nothing had gone in and something had gone out, I'd weigh again. Weighed myself again, and was up 1.8 lbs. WTF???

It's illogical. But it happens.

Nada
03-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I was going to say, if the scale makes you crazy---step away. Concentrate on behaviors, not results for a while. That scale can't hold out forever--you're stronger than it is!!

Hang in there!!!

and honestly, lose 4, plateau, lose 4, plateau isn't the worst thing that can happen, is it?

JayEll
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Then stop guessing! Really, all you have to do is stick to your plan. I would recommend you stay off the freaking scale for a week, too. A pound and a half could be that the moon is full, for heaven's sake. I change that much between morning and afternoon! It's the long term trend you're after.

What's with the 800 calories, anyway? :chin: Do you really think you can force your body that way and get good results? Just sayin'.

Jay

ShylahEQ
03-04-2010, 09:30 AM
She already said she wasn't aiming for 800, the day just slipped away from her. It happens at times.

ShylahEQ
03-04-2010, 09:30 AM
*hugs* Eliana it'll get better! I was up 2.5 lbs from yesterday. wth right! lol

BeachBreeze2010
03-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't have any magical answers, but I'd like to offer some encouragement! :hug:

Take a step back and look at how far you've come. Your progress has been awesome because you've worked so hard. It didn't just go down because you willed it down or kinda wanted it down. You, and only you, kicked butt and took that weight off! You do have control over this process!! Your body will even out eventually. You are not a miracle of science that is immune to the basic equation. From what I am hearing, your behaviors ROCK, sister! You are doing an AMAZING job of eating right and exercising. Your health has to be so much better than it was. The scale will catch up.

Reward yourself for the behaviors as well as the weight. I have seen a few of the maintainers (who kick butt every day and never see any more weight loss) do that to stay focused. Keep a chart of the days that you were 100% on plan. That's a HUGE VICTORY too! It's a step you can take now to ensure that when you get to goal, you'll stay there.

You can do this!! I, and all of us here at 3FC - and even you ;) know that!!

TJFitnessDiva
03-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes please stop weighing yourself every day :) that's coming from a daily weigher lol
You are trying to disect everything that happens but you are doing it in an emotional mind frame and not analytical. That just can't happen with good results!

Try focusing on measurements, the way your clothes fit or planning out your day to make sure you eat all of your calories. When I first started it was hard to get my daily points in but planning helped fix that ;). If you'd see my daily weight chart, it'll show many spikes and dips with an overall drop.

Patience grasshopper ;)

chicpanda
03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
throwing my scales out was the first step on my recovery path. I was obsessing about every quarter pound. I agree for women once a week is enough. I still have to resist the urge to hop on a scale every time I see one.
Look at you, 35 pounds less of you.. you are doing this bumps along the road, all

PeanutsMom704
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I wish there was a little metabolism dial we could see and say "Yep, eat more" or "Oh, best cut back".

Thanks so much for putting up with my whines today! I really need to be able to vent this. I'm feeling better now. :D

I've only been using it for a few days but this is info I get from my Gowear Fit. I mean, it doesn't specifically say to eat more or less, but I do feel it's more accurate in terms of tracking my calorie burn, and therefore, I can adjust my food to make sure I'm hitting my targets.

I'm also trying to to zigzag my calorie deficit. I'm doing that partly through food but also through activity, so one day, I might have a 700 calorie deficit, the next day, it's 1200. But I'm eating just about the same amount of food, maybe slightly lower on the days I'm going for a bigger deficit, but I'm mostly pushing myself more on activity on those days.

I can't say whether this will work long term, but so far, so good. It wasn't cheap, but if it motivates me to lose even a few extra pounds more easily and more quickly, I'll consider it money well spent!

Eliana
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I know I don't sound like it, but I really am ok with scale fluctuations. It's the being stuck for 11 days and then gaining that has thrown me. I was trying to get the scale to move, but not up! I've never before been stuck and then had a gain. That seems like I'm doing something wrong.

Sadly, if any one of you complained about a 1.5 lb gain like I am I'd be saying "It's 1.5 lb! Don't worry about it!" But when it's you and when you have that kind of a history (11 days at 198.4 then a 1.5 lb gain)...it's very disconcerting.

Trazey34
03-04-2010, 10:43 AM
my weight can shift 5 lbs. in the SAME DAY lol, i wouldn't worry about such a small amount. Keep plugging away, KNOW that you're eating less and moving more and don't concern yourself with those tinnnnnnny little details that can drive us crazy!!! IT WILL COME OFFFFF

cathydoe
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Do you need to cut your toenails? Just sayin.....

Really I am being silly...I feel your frustration! Hang in there...I wish I had a magic answer for you...but there isn't one. Keep posting and big :hug:

JayEll
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
She already said she wasn't aiming for 800, the day just slipped away from her. It happens at times.

Not if you are following a food plan that's any good... I have never ended up that low in a day because I know when I'm going to be eating. I don't leave it up to chance or level of busy-ness.

Jay

kuchick
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I posted to you over on the "Dive under 185" thread too, but wanted to reiterate that you're doing great. Those aren't "real" pounds, and they'll be gone soon. If you go back in the posts, you'll find that I did the exact same thing right after I dropped under 200, my weight went crazy, and I almost committed scale-ocide. Two days later, all the water weight was gone, I was back in onederland, and the scale narrowly survived. You're doing everything right; it's just a matter of time :hug:

Eliana
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Not if you are following a food plan that's any good... I have never ended up that low in a day because I know when I'm going to be eating. I don't leave it up to chance or level of busy-ness.

Jay

I don't either. I eat at 7:30, 10:00, 12:30, 3:00, 5:00 and 8:00ish.

I was just conscious of the fact that I really wanted to see a good number today. I had my yogurt and apple sitting there for snack, was full after the yogurt so decided I didn't really need the apple. Then after dinner, I decided I really wasn't hungry and didn't need that evening snack.

Really, it's no different than over eating, just the opposite. I know it's not good, but it's not from lack of planning. It's mental.

Eliana
03-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh, and gotta be honest...

I'm not doing so well today.

Yogurt: 110
apple: 100
carrots (2 large): 50
1 grape (?)- sour, blech

That's 260 and I should be at 400 by now. I'm not hungry and am having a hard time justifying eating when I'm whining about gaining.

TJFitnessDiva
03-04-2010, 11:31 AM
You have to stick to your plan and you need to jolt yourself out of the punishment thing you are doing today. It's not a cycle you want to get into.

Eliana
03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
scale-ocide.

:rofl: Ha, that's funny!

Just made myself a chicken breast and ALOT of veggies. And I think I'll eat the whole breast and not just the half I usually eat.

Punishment over. ;) Thanks!

ubergirl
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Jay

With all due respect, Jay, that seems a little judgmental. You may need to walk a mile in others shoes before you assume that there is no imaginable reason that a person might end up under their calories except for not having a good food plan.

Of course, we all have to be cautious about not letting dipping low be an excuse for binging later, but I know that the normal-weight members of my family occasionally have a day when they barely eat anything-- every single one of them skips lunch because they forget it, or something like that. It's just part of life.

marigrace
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
You already know this, but it bears repeating...scales just don't give you the whole picture. I know (all too well) how you are feeling now... like you are doomed to never lose another ounce... but that is certainly not going to happen as long as you keep up the good work.

FitGirlyGirl
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I feel your pain on the difficulty of getting all the food in some days. I have a hard time too. Yesterday I went into my body bugg program to see how many calories I needed to eat for my evening snack and discovered I still needed a little over 500. I got it all in with a glass of o.j., a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a glass of milk, but it was annoying. Sometimes when I am having the really not hungry days I will have a slimfast shake with my dinner to get some extra calories since liquid is easier to find room for. I prefer to use real food, but then there are those days.

I am sorry about your scale issues, it could be anything. Try not to let it get you down too much.

JayEll
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
With all due respect, Jay, that seems a little judgmental. You may need to walk a mile in others shoes before you assume that there is no imaginable reason that a person might end up under their calories except for not having a good food plan.

Of course, we all have to be cautious about not letting dipping low be an excuse for binging later, but I know that the normal-weight members of my family occasionally have a day when they barely eat anything-- every single one of them skips lunch because they forget it, or something like that. It's just part of life.

Yeah, uber, except that the OP has now admitted that she in fact deliberately skipped eating foods that she was supposed to eat because she "really wanted to see a good number." That is called going off plan! Usually people go off plan the other direction, but it's possible to do it this way, too. It's not a good way to go, I'm sure you'll agree.

Eliana, I'm glad you've decided to have some good protein! :cheer2: That should help your muscles recover from your workouts.

Jay

marigrace
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Seriously,girls, I think what we need to start a "scale-o-cide" post here !

Wizzie
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
All bodies are different. I eat the same number of points and one week I'll lose 4 pounds and the next week nothing, the next week 3.5 the next week nothing. It's hard not to look at the scale but we all know it's not just about the scale. T

There have been some really good points made here.

Stick with it girlfriend!

Beverlyjoy
03-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Remember - when you step on that scale it is but one moment in time.
This moment is affected by some many things - water. hormones, food, biologics.

Hang in there!