Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default going backwards to induction

When I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in December, I felt I really needed to start Atkins, but I just couldn't stick with it, maybe too addicted to sweets to do it.
But... I did lower my carbs to about 80 g/day, then 60 after Christmas, and was doing calorie counting, and LOTs of exercise. The weight was coming off, but so slowly. (8 lbs in 3 months)
SOOO, last week I went down to about 30-35 g carbs. Not true induction, but this allowed me to keep on with soy and some milk and yoghurt.
Wow, what a difference. Have lost 2 pounds already.
And not really craving more carbs. Not having difficulty sticking with it.
I made my plan and its not a struggle.
Anyone else have to go toward induction slowly so they could stick with it?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband is diabetic and was advised to "do Atkins backwards," that is to find his OWL carbohydrate level by reducing carbs rather than starting with induction (because with the medications he was on, induction would put him at greater risk for low blood sugar problems).

He's also lost about 80 lbs, and he's now off the insulin and on only one diabetes med, the metformin.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Kaplods, thats fabulous. This seems to be really working now. I have the combination of good weight loss, very little cravings for sugar and feeling good. I did induction for a couple of weeks last year, and found it very hard to stick to the whole time. Its only been a week so far, but the cravings are not coming up. Your husbnads experience is very helpful. I don't think I need to lower the carbs, just stay where I am and enjoy the results. I actually think I can see the difference.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote