100 lb. Club - do you lose more when you're hungry?

ubergirl
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I've noticed that if I'm feeling kind of hungry on my calories that that's when I tend to see a drop.

Other times, I'm perfectly content on the same number calories-- that seems to be when I stick.

Not that I particularly enjoy feeling hungry, but it always makes me hopeful that I'm prepping for a whoosh.

Summerblue
03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
OH GOD YES PLEASE!!!!!!! that was my exact reaction to the subject line you posted.

Seriously.

I better be loosing, LOL cause right now, I am HUNGRY! :)

PeanutsMom704
03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm only a few days into it, but with my Gowear Fit, I'm looking more at calorie deficits and not just calories consumed. So maybe when you are hungry, it's because your calorie deficit is larger? It makes sense to me that would be linked with a loss!

Thighs Be Gone
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I think you can drop either way actually--I don't know if one is more powerful than the other. I have read from the countless thousands how your metabolism slows when you aren't eating enough.

I don't do hunger. I feel a little hollow sometimes but not hungry. I have had drops with both scenarios. I think when I have that "hollow" feeling I am careful and mindful of what goes in my body next. When I actually get HUNGRY I binge bigtime.

ubergirl
03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I think you can drop either way actually--I don't know if one is more powerful than the other. I have read from the countless thousands how your metabolism slows when you aren't eating enough.

I don't do hunger. I feel a little hollow sometimes but not hungry. I have had drops with both scenarios. I think when I have that "hollow" feeling I am careful and mindful of what goes in my body next. When I actually get HUNGRY I binge bigtime.

I guess I know what you mean about being REALLY HUNGRY. Yesterday I immersed in was working and so I just drank coffee and skipped breakfast-- when I started to get hungry, I ignored it. Finally around 2:30 I suddenly noticed that I was so hungry I was about to barf! Then I got lunch and I had to work at not wolfing it down...

But like today, I was just getting hungrier than expected on my normal amount of food. That's when I think that my motor is burning a little faster than usual. Hope so, anyway, LOL.

mariarose
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
When I mentioned this about a year or two ago no one believed me, but it is totally true! When I was losing, I'd get really hungry on my calories for a few days and then lose pounds! At times when I was fairly content on the same amount of calories, I'd lose more slowly. Cool, right?

rockinrobin
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
This has not been my experience - at all. Not even a little bit.

Because I have rarely been hungry through 165 pounds of weight loss. And the handful of times that I was, it was just the wee beginning signs of hunger.

ubergirl
03-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Because I have rarely been hungry through 165 pounds of weight loss. And the handful of times that I was, it was just the wee beginning signs of hunger.

Wow! That's crazy. Lucky you!

I wouldn't say I'm constantly hungry, but I'm definitely hungry sometimes and some days I'm definitely hungrier than other days.

Eliana
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
A week ago, I'd have said "yes". But this week, no. I've been hungry and have not seen any movement except today's weight which was UP.

Thighs Be Gone
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I would agree with RR. I get hollow or a wee bit peckish at times. I don't do hunger by choice and never would. I haven't found hunger being necessary. Peckish isn't necessary either. I can say though, I can run better with my hollow feeling which is why I don't eat before work out. I would say on this point, it really is whatever works for you.

For years I was overweight or obese because I did just the opposite of hunger--I overate, day after day, month after month, for years. To become fit, I naturally believe working the opposite direction is probably a good idea. Not to an extreme obviously--but in a healthy, mindful way.

Now, cautiously, CAUTIOUSLY I share this as well. When I was on my way down and moving through the numbers, I didn't cheat. AT ALL. I drank a ton of water. I ate my fiber. I ate 100% whole foods, 100% of the time. A few months in I got off plan for four days--a little off plan--not a lot--in addition, I missed workouts due to weather and health issues. I lost four pounds literally overnight and it stayed off. I remember coming here and posting about it. Of course, we are talking about 4 days off plan after perhaps 6 months of darn near perfection.

HotWings
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't do real hunger very well either. It usually leads to eating something I should not be eating or more than I should be eating. So at the first sign of being "hollow" as Thighs says, I eat something. Even if it is just a low fat cheese stick. I don't get hungry very often either, probably because of the enormous amount of vegetables I eat. :lol: I add about 3-4 oz of protein with the veggies and it curbs hunger really well. I can go for 3 or more hours on just a plate of good veggies and a little lean protein.

Shmead
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
There is a certain feeling I associate with losing weight. I don't even know if it's accurate-it could very well be psychosomatic/confirmation bias at work. But I feel like I can feel when my body is burning fat. It's like hunger, but very different from the type of hunger I used to feel when I just ate whatever and my blood sugar was erratic, and even different from the type of hunger I get now if for some reason I am a bit long between meals. It's a steadier feeling that lasts through light meals and which is not really unpleasant. It feels very real to me.

cfmama
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I feel ya Shmead... I know exactly what you mean! I've been feeling it since I went to bed last night. Not a gnawing "you have to eat" feeling but a slightly empty feeling...

Thighs Be Gone
03-03-2010, 10:53 PM
CF! OMG--you are on the brink of ONEDERLAND! This is exciting.

cfmama
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I know I know!!!! I've been on the brink for freaking 2 weeks now! It better happen soon before I lose my ever loving freaking mind...

eclipse
03-03-2010, 11:21 PM

I've only lost 40, but I'm almost never hungry anymore either. Part of it is one of the meds I'm on, but eating the right foods at the right time really combats hunger.

ubergirl
03-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Interesting how we're all so different. I relate to what Shmead and CF are saying... when I'm losing, I feel a little different, maybe hollow is the right word.

I'd say when I was morbidly obese, I was pretty much NEVER hungry, even though I ate all the time. I used to think I was hungry, and I certainly spent a lot of time craving food and planning how to get it, but I rarely was actually hungry.

It's funny how hunger can be a feeling and an emotion as much as an actual physical state.

Loving Me
03-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I think I've felt hungrier which has been followed by a bigger loss. The hollow feeling I think is the right description for it.
I haven't felt hungry this week and now I'm thinking I'm heading for a disappointment on the scales, when I REALLY want those 2lbs to get my to 70lbs off.

Rainbow
03-04-2010, 05:04 AM
I used to think this was true but it doesn't seem to be for me. At first on plan I lose better if I feel hungry but as the weeks or months go by I have weeks where I lose just as well and feel satisfied. Maintained last month and now I lowered calories again and restart daily exercise I'm soooooo hungry and the scales have whoosed down 3lb, but I've had a woosh in the past and felt compeltely full. I always feel I will lose well if I feel hungry and never believe the scales when they go down and I don't :dizzy:

rockinrobin
03-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Wow! That's crazy. Lucky you!

I wouldn't say I'm constantly hungry, but I'm definitely hungry sometimes and some days I'm definitely hungrier than other days.

Well I guess on one hand it's a *bit* lucky, but then again I make a concerted effort to not BE hungry. I eat enormous amounts of satiating, filling veggies throughout the day, including my snacks. I eat FREQUENTLY. Depending on my schedule, it' could be as often as every hour (something small obviously). Each and every calorie I consume (with the exception of 5 calorie jello) is filled with either fiber and/or protein. I don't eat grains (with the exception of Fiber One cereal). I have found that grains, even whole ones do not fill me up for very long for that amount of calories. I drink lots of water and lots of tea.

Interesting how we're all so different. I relate to what Shmead and CF are saying... when I'm losing, I feel a little different, maybe hollow is the right word.

I'd say when I was morbidly obese, I was pretty much NEVER hungry, even though I ate all the time. I used to think I was hungry, and I certainly spent a lot of time craving food and planning how to get it, but I rarely was actually hungry.

It's funny how hunger can be a feeling and an emotion as much as an actual physical state.

Now when I was morbidly obese I was not only never hungry, but I was always FULL. Very often stuffed to the point of discomfort.

Now, though I am never hungry, I am also NEVER stuffed (while on plan that is - I've had a few off plan STUFFED moments ;)). I am rarely *full* either. Although quite often after a huge salad I feel as if I've got room for not even one more bite. What I usually am is satisfied. I allowed my calorie allotment to show me that feeling. I still rely on my calorie allotment to show me that, because my intuition would STILL tell me to eat more. That's why I rely heavily on pre-portioned/pre-determined meals.

time2lose
03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Part of my process has been learning when I am actually hungry and when I just want to eat. I think that some hunger is natural and to be expected. For example, I often get hungry about 11:30 but just remind myself that I have lunch at 12. That is real hunger. However, there are times when I just want to eat but really I am not hungry. I have had to learn the difference.

I also had to learn to give myself the time to feel satisfied. Every morning when I finish my breakfast I want to keep eating. Every single morning. But I know now that I will feel satisfied in 20 minutes or so if I just wait. I had heard for years that a delay between the time you are satisfied and the moment you know you are satisfied but I never gave myself the chance to learn that it was true for me.

BeachBreeze2010
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
On the topic of the 20 minutes thing:

DH likes to watch the Man V Food show. It's a show on the Travel channel where this guy goes around to restaurants all over the country and eats some horrific quantity of food in a certain allotment of time (usually an hour). I have noticed the 20 minute thing working. Whatever he can get in his mouth in 20 minutes is the majority of his progress. Longer than that and he has trouble. You can almost see the difference exactly after 20 minutes. Ironically, I find the show to be somewhat helpful with my restaurant cravings. Watching someone eat that kind of quantity turns me off to those foods pretty quickly.

Anyway, not to hijack, but I really use the 20 minute thing myself a lot. If I have eaten what I planned and feel just under satisfied, I will wait and see if I need more. I truly believe that hunger is the enemy to weight loss. (Eat the right foods obviously.)

losermom
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Part of my process has been learning when I am actually hungry and when I just want to eat. I think that some hunger is natural and to be expected. For example, I often get hungry about 11:30 but just remind myself that I have lunch at 12. That is real hunger. However, there are times when I just want to eat but really I am not hungry. I have had to learn the difference.

I also had to learn to give myself the time to feel satisfied. Every morning when I finish my breakfast I want to keep eating. Every single morning. But I know now that I will feel satisfied in 20 minutes or so if I just wait. I had heard for years that a delay between the time you are satisfied and the moment you know you are satisfied but I never gave myself the chance to learn that it was true for me.

Time, I too had to learn about my body's REAL hunger cues. When I was obese, I was either starving or stuffed, there was no in between satisfied feeling. I now strive towards the satisfied, not stuffed, feeling. Like the Japanese (I think), I strive towards 80% full at every meal--but I have heard of others saying 70% full. When I want more, I make myself wait 10 minutes, but I might try 20 after hearing about this.

Suzyszoo
03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
My grandmother had a saying -

"It's good to be a little hungry". Now, whether she meant just food wise, or if she referred to life in general...who knows. But this always sticks in my head. She was a tough old broad, and I admired her greatly.

Maybe it's good to know what it feels like to be just a little hungry...?

JustBeckyV
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe it's the foods you are consuming during those times that is making the difference if that makes sense. Maybe there are less carbs and more protein or whatever. That would make sense to me!

ubergirl
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting discussion.

I have also struggled to learn the cues for hunger and satiety. A few times, early on, when I went really low on my calories, I actually TOOK TO MY BED in the late afternoon, thinking I was sick, only to find that I was actually hungry. Talk about no clue!

I also can be "satisfied" with much less than what I "can" consume, which is why I've found that portion-controlled food, like cheese sticks or one apple are good choices for me.

But the other weird thing I've learned along my journey is that I really don't mind the feeling of physical hunger very much. I can ignore it, or fairly easily appease it. What used to drive me to eat was a very different feeling-- a craving-- I always felt completely powerless over that feeling, but I rarely if ever feel that these days.

I am a reformed grazer-- I used to just eat a little bit of something, a bite here, a bite there pretty much all freaking day. So part of my structure has been to learn just not to open my mouth if it's not meal time. That seems to work pretty well for a person with my particular psychological hang-ups. So, I guess maybe that's why I get hungry more often... I don't really think it's how much, or what I'm eating.

But I have noticed that *for me* the feeling of being a little hungry reminds me that I'm on the righteous path, and when I'm not hungry at all, it sort of reminds me of when I used to eat all day. Whether I actually lose more when I'm hungry, I really can't say.

Clearly, it's not "necessary" to be hungry to lose weight, based on what everyone has said here.

Eliana
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I've said this before, but I can't listen to my hunger. It's not accurate to tell me I am hungry or that I'm not. So I just feed my body like the animals at the zoo at feeding time. I have regular times when I eat and that's it.

BeachBreeze2010
03-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I always think everything is mental, but maybe this is more so than I thought. I posted the other day about hunger and sleep because I was trying to work my brain around the ways our bodies send physical signals to us and what they mean and what we should do about them.

Uber, I think you nailed it. There is a very big difference between the craving feeling and hunger.

Before, when I let myself get hungry (quite a lot - I didn't eat regularly), I was anxious. I literally could not think about anything else and was shaky until I ate something and it had to be whatever it was I wanted which was always junk with a capital J. It was a horrible feeling. I was completely out of control. The only thing I can think of that's close to it is when you have to pee so badly that you can't concentrate.

Now, I know that demon is under the surface waiting for me to not eat regularly. Every once in a while, I can hear him rising and immediately eat something healthy. Most of the time now, he's gone. Instead of daily visits, it's weekly at best. I feel a grumbly in my tummy sometimes, but it isn't a crisis thing. I am probably a 3 on the hunger scale right now. I am headed out to get some lunch soon. I am still feeling good and know I will make the right food choice. I will eat until I am a 6 and be done for a few hours.

What changed? Why the difference? I think it's a couple of things.

1) I don't let myself get to 0.

2) I don't eat refined carbs or sugar (other than that which comes in fruit). I think some of those crazies were blood sugar swings.

3) (Maybe the most powerful) I have a different perception of the feeling of hunger. I don't panic. When I get a grumbly, I stop and "check in" putting it on the hunger scale. Then I see it as a hunger meter reading and not a crisis. I think of the next meal I have planned, how far off it is and whether I have some healthy snacks around me if it's not too soon.

I have done this enough times, that I feel "safe" with the snacks I have. I have learned to trust myself more. That's a big deal for me.

Gourmet Bean
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Ironically, I find the show to be somewhat helpful with my restaurant cravings. Watching someone eat that kind of quantity turns me off to those foods pretty quickly.

Ugh! That's me too! Watching him just literally devour some of that food is just such a food turn-off. Blech.

Anyway... on the whole hungry thing, I really wonder if this is the case for me because I've been stuck within the same 2lb range for a few days and I realized today is the first day all week I'm hungry between breakfast and lunch. I hope I'm in for some loss.

JulieJ08
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
My grandmother had a saying -

"It's good to be a little hungry". Now, whether she meant just food wise, or if she referred to life in general...who knows. But this always sticks in my head. She was a tough old broad, and I admired her greatly.

Maybe it's good to know what it feels like to be just a little hungry...?

LOL, like the commercial, "Stay hungry, my friend."

I like getting hungry before I eat. If I never let myself get hungry between meals I don't feel my best.

ubergirl
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I remember when I was in college I had a very slim friend-- she was what you would call "naturally slim." I noticed at the time that she never snacked-- not even a single bite.

Anyway, one time we were talking about the fact that she always got up early and went to breakfast, whereas I often slept in and missed breakfast.

She said, "I can't stay in bed. When I wake up, I'm hungry."

Back then, I didn't have much of a weight problem-- but that made an impression on me. I always thought that skinny people were less hungry than heavier people, but in talking to her, I realized that in fact she was MUCH hungrier than me before meals, probably because she never ever snacked. But I guess she was just used to it.

ShylahEQ
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I hope we lose when we are hungry, because I'm pretty frickin' hungry right now ROFL

thank heavens for snack time!