Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Is it possible to lose 40lbs in 4 months?

I have my high school reunion in the middle of July and want to look REALLY good! has anyone done that in that kind of time frame and if so, what method did you use?
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm sure it's possible, but it's not too probable. And you might burn yourself out trying (30 lbs might be a more realistic goal). I say shop around for a weight loss plan that fits your lifestyle and that you can stick with, and just lose what you can before your reunion. Any loss is an improvement. And afterwards you keep on pushing to that goal for YOU.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 03-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #3  
Be happy.

It's possible - I lost 39 in 4 months, and I'm still amazed. (And still losing.) My body loves South Beach Diet and I think I was finally ready to make some big changes, so it all clicked this time. I've been faithful about exercising from the beginning, but I started slowly and added more exercise as I got stronger.

I did not set a goal of x pounds/month though. My goal was/is to "feel good and look good by the end of the school year". I try to plan my meals and exercise so that I'll loose 2 lbs/weekly, but there are weeks when my body doesn't cooperate. I don't like it, but I don't get too discouraged because I'm not on a deadline. I think it's easier to be gentle with myself because I'm not feeling the pressure of x lbs by x date.

I'd encourage you to make a plan but focus on looking and feeling better by the reunion rather than focusing on a particular number on the scale.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

I have lost 27lbs in a little over two months. I started on Jan. 1 at 252.00 and I am down to 225.00 as of this morning. So I am on track to lose about 40lbs in 4 months. I calorie count. I love it! I have tried Atkins but I felt too limited and I like my fruit and veggies. Atkins is limited in all that. So I like calorie counting. No potatoe chips or junk no pop. Only water. Fruits and veggies for snacks. lean meats baked potatoes or corn on the cob. Healthy choices and I try to stick to less than 1500 calories a day.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #5  
Inittothinit

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Really well said, Heidi. I'm wondering the same thing as shoeluver. I keep having thoughts about what the maximum weight that I can lose. I am 5'8" and 240 lbs, and I am going to South Beach Miami in 6 weeks. I'm not looking at as much time as you shoeluver, but I'm looking for a miracle! Events make things so urgent! A couple of lbs a week sounds really reasonable for you though. So that would be about 38 lbs in 4 months. I know you can do it if you set your mind to it! This diet thing is really really 80% mental. So if I can get my mind right and lose a couple of pounds a week too, I can be down 12 pounds in 6 weeks. I'm gonna try for 15 lbs though. What workout regimen are you doing? I just started Dr. Ian Smith's (from celebrity fit club) 4 day diet a couple of days ago, and it seems to have really worked for a lot of people. Keep me posted on your plans to shed those pounds!

Nieceyeffbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I bet if you are very dedicated...(as in no cheat meals/days/weeks) Follow a lower calorie diet, (1200 to 1500 per day) eat only healthy nutritious foods that are loaded with vitamins and "good stuff". Stay away from all junk food, fast food and sugar and get good excercise and drink plenty of water...you could lose 40 pounds in 4 months pretty easy. Problem is, most people don't want to do that...they say it's not obtainable, or sustainable and a bunch of other self doubt talk...but it IS possible and you'll only know if it will work for you if you are willing to do the work. If not, than you just have to be happy with whatever gets lost and move forward! (I sound like such a downer today...lol )

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-03-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #7  

Thanks so much everyone for your input and support! i think you're right in just doing it and not focusing so much on what the number is. i know stressing can often make things worse...make us tend to hold onto weight. Nieceyeffbaby...thanks for that Will Power Dust! if there's anything i need, it's that. i admit, i am off to an incredibly slow start and just CAN'T get it going...i wish i could get a handle on why that is...i just don't know. You'll have a GREAT time in South Beach...just be the fabulous chick that you are!! Speaking of South Beach, i DID do that once years ago...i lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks (phase one) i did very well with it for a long time and kept the weight off...for whatever reason tho...i've never been able to do it again. phase one is so hard...but the results are great. i might have to jump back on that diet wagon.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeluver67 View Post
i admit, i am off to an incredibly slow start and just CAN'T get it going...i wish i could get a handle on why that is...i just don't know.

Speaking of South Beach, i DID do that once years ago...i lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks (phase one) i did very well with it for a long time and kept the weight off...for whatever reason tho...i've never been able to do it again. phase one is so hard...but the results are great. i might have to jump back on that diet wagon.
I also hate to be a downer, but it's not a matter of CAN'T. It's more of a matter of WON'T. Because of course you CAN. I mean you have the ability to do this. We are all capable of losing weight. Weight loss is a doable thing for every one and anyone. It's not some crazy, out of this world scheme. It's something that's available to all of us. You just must be WILLING to put forth the continuous effort that is needed to MAKE it happen. You've got to be willing to do what's required and what's necessary to get it done.

It's about deciding to do this once and for all permanently. No going "off" and "on". Just continuing...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #9  

wow rockinrobin...what a freaking GREAT post. seriously. that is not a downer at all....that's just straight truth and you are soooo right. i love that post. i'm printing it out.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeluver67 View Post
wow rockinrobin...what a freaking GREAT post. seriously. that is not a downer at all....that's just straight truth and you are soooo right. i love that post. i'm printing it out.
Oh good, I'm relieved that you took it in that manner - as helpful not hurtful, because that's certainly how I meant it!!

I tend to be a bit, shall we say - strong - in my feelings towards can't and won't and all that stuff. Because you see that's what I did for more than 20 years and I finally woke up and realized that that was nonsense. I ALWAYS had the ability. I ALWAYS had the power to change this. Being overweight IS a choice. As is losing weight. It is within our hands. We have the control over it. We don't have to be fat if we don't want to be. No ifs ands or buts about it. Period.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Just to give you a boost of confidence; some man on The Biggest Loser lost 119 lbs in 7 WEEKS according to this week's show so 40 lbs in 4 months is doable! Have fun wowing them at your reunion!
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinThin View Post
Just to give you a boost of confidence; some man on The Biggest Loser lost 119 lbs in 7 WEEKS according to this week's show so 40 lbs in 4 months is doable! Have fun wowing them at your reunion!
The bigger you are the faster it *usually* comes off, so I'm assuming that the man was waaay heavier then the OP. And he was indeed a man and men do have an *easier* go of it than women. And (yes there's another and ) he's on the biggest loser!!! Biggest loser = complete devotion to extreme workouts and an environment completely and totally dedicated to weight loss = not happening in the real world here. Not sure why they even call those shows reality shows when there's not too much reality taking place .