Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Dr. Oz's belly fat-blasting smoothie....

JackiG
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Did anyone try/see Dr. Oz's smoothie recipe posted in Womans World Magazine dated March 8th? I love Dr. Oz, and had to get it to see what it was. LOL Well I bought all of the ingredients and let me say, it doesn't taste great, but I plan on drinking it everyday. Anyone else try it or thinking about it? :) I honestly do not drink it thinking it will blast my belly fat, I know everything in it is good and it keeps me full. Just wish the taste was a little better. LOL

Here is the recipe:

In blender whip:

1 cup of juice (any variety)
1/2 banana or 3/4 berries (I added both)
2 tbs whey powder (I use 1 scoop)
2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 tbs ground psyllium husk
1 tbs chia seeds (I use ground)
1 tbs wheat germ
600 mg fish oil (from supplement caspules, break open and add oil only)
3 ice cubes

AnnieDrews
03-02-2010, 10:10 AM
It looks like it is healthy and full of fiber, so it couldn't be too bad! But sister, you lost me at fish oil!:p I do hope the doc never suggests that I take it. My ex keeps trying to give me two big bottles that he bought. He told me he burps up fishy tasting gas when he takes them. Bleh.

JackiG
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I never had that problem when taking fish oil. LOL Actually you only open 1 capsule, my capsules are 900mg each. The first one I made I gave to dh, he was a sport and drank all of it, when I made mine I added more ice. It needed it! LOL

Passionista
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd take the capsules of fish oil and drink the smoothie as is without them in it if I were you.

Personally, I use Flora's oil http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/canada/products/R7980.asp

Eliana
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I eat everything except for the psyllium husk and chia seeds on a regular basis on its own, so I don't think I'd go for the shake. I love mixing wheat germ and flax seed along with walnuts into my yogurt. And I'd rather eat fish than take a pill.

It looks healthy though. It falls into the category of "why not" for me. :D

JackiG
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I thought about doing that. The wheat germ is an oil as well, and smells funky. LOL Probably the main reason I don't mind adding the small amount of fish oil, I don't think that one is the problem. ;)

Thanks for the link, I will check it out! :)

luckyredlisa
03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey! I just tried it this morning for the first time. Like you, I'm not expecting miracles, just something easy, healthy, and will keep me full! So far so good. :)

I used Odwala Mango Tango as my juice, I think that helped with the taste a lot. And the fish oil supplements I got are lemon flavored, I detected absolutely NO fishy taste at all. I would have dumped the whole thing if I had!!

I will definitely add the ice cubes tomorrow. All the fiber makes it REALLY thick, so I think it needs the ice to break it up and keep it tasting good.

JackiG
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that! :)

babygrant
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
It looks like it is healthy and full of fiber, so it couldn't be too bad! But sister, you lost me at fish oil!:p I do hope the doc never suggests that I take it. My ex keeps trying to give me two big bottles that he bought. He told me he burps up fishy tasting gas when he takes them. Bleh.

My kids (4 and 6) LOVE fish oils but I buy the flavored Nordic Naturals stuff. They really like the peach and lemon. I used to take fish oil capsules and had super bad fishy burps until I started taking them with food. Now I just don't take them because I have a blood clotting disorder and fish oils thin the blood.

kaplods
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I did see the article and recipe, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you would ruin the taste of the smoothie by adding fish oil. Swallow the capsules (with the shake or with a glass of water), and then drink the shake.

I also consider the amount of fiber a bit extreme. Five tablespoons (in total) of flax seeds, psyllium husks, chia seeds, and wheat germ. Metamucil is a psyllium husk laxative and the recommended dose is 1 teaspoon.

The fiber in this smoothie is going to give many folks (anyone who isn't eating much fiber now, or anyone with a sensitive digestive tract, or digestive health issues like IBS) a tremendous belly ache (and the need to stay within 20 feet of a restroom). Also a lot more than 1 cup of fluid needs to accompany that much fiber, or painful constipation could occur.

Sudden increase in fiber + sufficient fluids can = severe diarrhea

Sudden increase in fiber + insufficient little fluids can = painful constipation

Five tablespoons of fiber may be fine for Dr. Oz and his family, but I would wonder if they're leaving out the part about them adding that much fiber gradually, or the fact that the family was eating lots and lots of fiber before adding the shake.

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Oz, or any doctor would recommend that much fiber (without suggesting gradual incremental increases) to someone not used to a large fiber intake.

AnnieDrews
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Good point, Kaplods! Work up to it.

JackiG
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
You make great points, and I agree! As far as the fish oil, I made the smoothie with, and with out (took the pill with water beforehand). I can't tell a difference either way. The wheat germ has a strong taste, so I am sure it covers the taste of the fish oil.

dhanna19
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
thank you, thank you! I did not pick up this issue when I saw it and now I can not find it anywhere! Appreciate the information and, despite any bad taste, I plan to try it! Thank you JackiG!

JackiG
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
You're welcome dhanna19!

sarahyu
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
where do you find Chia seeds? Is that the same as the chia pet stuff?
Sarah

Jennifer 3FC
03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Sarah, you can get Chia seeds in a health food store. I think Vitacost has them pretty cheap. Check your prices on them because some places charge an insane amount for them! It's the same as the chia pet sprouts, but I'd get some that were processed as food and not as plant. Nothing says their employees have to wash their hands for bagging plant food. :)

JackiG
03-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I purchased my ground Chia seeds online. If you buy chia in seed form, you need to grind it up.

SueD
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I have been on the smoothie for 2 weeks now and have followed the diet and exercise. I have lost 5 pounds and some inches. I do seem to have more energy, and the smoothie curbs my hunger. However, I have been very constipated. Thanks to the replies on this blog, I will be adding more liquid to the smoothie!

tsmith85
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I use the orange fish oil.. it does not taste like fish at all... This smoothie really works.. i love it. I got my whole family drinking it. I want to get back to the weight I was before I got pregnant..

pat731
03-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Started the smoothie 3 weeks ago and woke up today and noticed a difference in my belly SHAPE!! I haven't weighted myself because the first week I didn't follow the diet - the second week I tried my hardest but....I do think it is working.I don't like fruit smoothies so I tried it with almond milk - and vanilla whey powder and I love it, just concerned that I need the fruit juice somewhere, so I have been eating fresh grapefruit. How is everyone else doing on this drink.

Huckleberry1
03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I have been drinking this shake for 2 weeks. I love it! No fishy taste from fish oil. Keeps me full for hours (even after exercise, Spin & boby pump) It is all in the Chia seeds, they expand with liquid. You have to drink quickly before the shake turn to gel! I have been telling all my friends about this. I have only lost 2 lbs, but I have to cut out snacks:)

graziegirl
03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I make this smoothie all the time. You will NOT be able to taste what little fish oil there is in it because everything else over-powers it. Try using 1/2 banana and a handful of frozen blueberries with 1C grape juice. Delicious! Make sure you drink plenty of water because this smoothie is loaded with fiber.

Felisa
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Has anybody tried what the Woman's World article said and make a batch to last the week? I made one smoothie the night before and it was way too thick to drink in the morning. Does it lose its effects if you put a lot of juice in it to thin it out?

Tomato
04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
My 2 cents - I would skip the one cup of juice. That's around 100 calories and quite some sugar (depending on the type of fruit) and if there is some banana or berries, you really don't need the juice.
I would add more of the whey protein to get more protein.

Regarding the fish oil - I take fish oil, and it is citrus flavoured. I would not add it to the smoothie but I would put some on a spoon, swallow it and then I would drink the smoothie. The citrus flavoured fish oil (from a health food store) is great, you really don't taste the "fishiness" although I do need something to drink afterwards.
JMHO

MeganBa
04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I just registered on this site after googling the recipe for the Dr. Oz recipe. I can't wait to try the smoothie and appreciate all the helpful tips! I just bought the items today!!

pat731
04-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I am hooked on these smoothies - i stay full from 6 am until 1 pm !!
Have to remember to eat lunch. My hair and skin are looking better. I only lost 2 lbs but I haven't followed the diet plan dr oz suggested. I feel great everyday all day long!!
I use almond milk with a splash of vanilla and banana - can't taste the fish oil at all - it is great!!!

shelben
04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Just found this web site and I think it is great. Had the article from Womens World and lost it. Started the diet Monday and lost 5 pounds. Sure it is only water. But the smoothie really fills me up. I take the fish oil & wheat germ in pill form. Can't find chia seeds. Went to 4 health foods stores. But I still love the results...
Have a question I lost the magazine and would love the reciepes for the soup.et al... I remember the apple slices baking it at 250 for 2 hours, but if you can tell me the soup receipe and the other snacks and menu items I would appreciate it.
I know 12 almonds.. 1 oz chocolate... yogurt and ????
I have dieted all my life and am 69 years old and have never been this heavy. At my age it is deadly to keep this weight on.
Really need some motivation. I ran out today and bought his book "You on a diet" but the magazine was so much better. ANY HELP out there.

pat731
04-21-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't see a recipe for the soup except
1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable soup??
SNACKS - choose 2
Apple chips(1 thinly sliced apple with cinnamon to taste. Layer on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 250 for 2 hours)
or
1 cup sliced raw veggies, 1/4 cup guacamole dip
OR
1 cup fat-free plain yogurt, 1 Tbs. low-sugar jam
OR
1/2 cup berries, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
OR
1or dark chocolate
OR
15 almonds

SpinFreak
04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT,,however (lol) I no longer put the fish oil into the shake, I prefer to swallow it, which does the same thing for ya. Remember if you do use it in the shake you do not include the capsule,you must puncture and squeeze out the capsule. "CHIA SEEDS" are simply amazing, I add them to my water at the gym,they emulsify into a gel and you do not taste them, great addtl protein! Look up Chia seeds online to see how to make chia gel to add to drinks,baking etc you will love it
As far as people worrying about the amount of fiber in this shake,its not overkill. The Psyllium husks helps move "everything" gently thru your system thats been sitting there so to speak. The Chia seed again turns to gel so there is nothing gassy or binding about this shake.

You can play with the ingredients, I also use chocolate Soy Milk instead of low sugar Juice,some greek yogurt, 1tbsp natural peanutbutter instead of fruit,,you can do alot with same results!! I love it

kaplods
04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
I disagree about the fiber. It isn't necessarily overkill, but it can be for people not used to that level of fiber. The sudden change can get things moving in a way that isn't always so gentle. Gassiness and constipation isn't the primary problem. It's usually "too much" and not-so-gentle movement that's the problem.

I'm not discouraging anyone from trying it, but they should be aware that a drastic increase in fiber should be attempted on a day you're going to be home (or at least close to a bathroom all day) to see how the increase in fiber is going to affect you. Being caught away from a bathroom when everything "gets moving" can be an uncomfortable experience (mentally and physically).

Anyone prone to IBS, diarrhea or other intestinal issues needs to be especially careful, because a sudden increase in fiber can be extremely uncomfortable. Gradually increasing fiber often is fine, but a sudden increase can mean the difference between having plenty of warning that a "gentle movement" is coming (with plenty of time to find a restroom) and "oh my gosh I'm going to crap my pants."

Again not saying anyone shouldn't try the shake, but I am suggesting that you not try this shake for the first time on the morning of a roadtrip (at least not without plenty of undie changes with you).

monieramony
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I tried the smoothie for the first time this morning. The taste wasn't too bad; the texture was a little grainy, though. I didn't bother adding the fish oil, either, because I already take one as a supplement (1000 mg). My blender didn't crush the ice cubes very well, and the smoothie got thick very fast. I added a little water to make it easier to drink. It kept me full from 6:30 until early afternoon, vs my usual 9:30 am hunger pangs.

Felisa
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
So has anybody been drinking this smoothie long term? If so, how have you been doing with the weight loss? I haven't started it yet. I'm waiting to see how others are doing.

monieramony
05-06-2010, 12:23 PM
The girlfriend who told me about this has a co-worker whose "pants are falling off her"; she's been on it for about 7 weeks. I've been on it for about a week (missed one day because I was just so busy). I've only lost a pound, although that's better than nothing. I do notice I feel better overall. I haven't measured anything, but I believe my stomach is a bit smaller than it was last week. I tried making it one day with banana instead of blueberries and it REALLY thickened it up, so I'm sticking with blueberries (tastes better, too). The jury's still out for me, but I'm willing to try it for a few more weeks to seek what results I get.

My Body in Motion
05-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Are you eating the smoothie in place of a meal? If so, how long do you feel full?

kaplods
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I thought about doing that. The wheat germ is an oil as well, and smells funky. LOL Probably the main reason I don't mind adding the small amount of fish oil, I don't think that one is the problem. ;)

Thanks for the link, I will check it out! :)

Wheat germ and wheat germ oil are two different things. Wheat germ is sold with the cereals, and it has a crunchy, dry texture - Also

wheat germ has 17 calories per tablespoon

wheat germ oil has 120 calories per tablespoon

Are you eating the smoothie in place of a meal? If so, how long do you feel full?

I've finally tried this smoothe as a late lunch, and it's a lot more filling than my usual protein shakes (they usually have less fiber, but still still usually keep me satisfied for at least 3 to 4 hours).

I'm not at 4 hours yet, and so far I actually still feel "full" not just "not hungry".

I have to say it was a bit "thick" it was almost like drinking banana bread batter.

And I take fish oil capsules, so I passed on the fish oil, and I also omitted the wheat germ, because I don't eat wheat. I did put in a tbs of almond meal, instead. Next time I'll pass on the almond meal (it's also higher in calorie than wheat germ). I don't think it added anything, except more thickness.

Also, instead of using whole juice (about 100 calories per cup), I used light Pomegranate Juice cocktail (sweetened with Splenda - 40 calories per cup).

Phoenix702
06-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I just went in for a colonoscopy and mentioned this smoothie to my doctor. He said it was the healthiest thing I could be doing for myself and to definitely continue! Someone mentioned that it was too much fiber. Not so.

However, I take the fish oil capsule separately. If you're tasting the fish oil, try a smaller sized capsule, maybe morning and night to see if that works better for you.

Oh, and I use frozen fresh fruit and add a little water to thin it. I figure I'm getting about 350 to 400 calories and have this in place of breakfast. It is a great start to the day!!

Melody Wong
07-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I add 1/4 cup of greek yogurt to my smoothie. It cuts the sweetness and adds a richness to the texture. Fage is by far the best, but Chobani works fine too.;)

Launal
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I have found that if you mix the ingredients with one frozen strawberry and 1/2 frozen banana instead of the ice and mix in the blender, you don't notice the taste so much, I also don't put the fish oil in directly, I take the pill form with my smoothie.

Alma4343
07-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I calculated approximate calories based on ingredient list. Obviously, these calories are estimates.

1 cup of juice (any variety) 117 Calories
1/2 banana or 3/4 berries (I added both) 50 calories
2 tbs whey powder (I use 1 scoop) 120 Calories
2 tbs ground flaxseed 66 calories
1 tbs ground psyllium husk 35 calories
1 tbs chia seeds (I use ground) 100
1 tbs wheat germ 100
3 ice cubes

By my calculations, this smoothie is about 588 Calories. That seems so high even if you use it as a meal substitute. I got the calories from a calorie counting website. Does anyone see anything wrong with my individual calorie counts? Or, do you think this is about right for this shake?

Thanks

cayden
08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
i've been drinking the dr. oz fat blasting smoothie for several days in a row. i want to continue drinking it for the health benefits but it seems to have made me constipated. i thought it would have done just the opposite of that. any suggestions or comments?

saggzz
08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I take fish oil daily. If you freeze them and take them before dinner you don't taste them later.

kaplods
08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
i've been drinking the dr. oz fat blasting smoothie for several days in a row. i want to continue drinking it for the health benefits but it seems to have made me constipated. i thought it would have done just the opposite of that. any suggestions or comments?

More water and servings of fruit or fruit juice (ideally fruit). Fiber usually does have a laxative effect, but only if there's enough water to (ok a little gross) to make the poo soft and easy to pass.

Drinking more water and other beverages (even caffeinated ones) could be enough to do the trick. If it doesn't, try adding fruit or fruit juice). Whole fruit has more fiber than juice (which should be fine, unless you have IBS, then you have to be careful, at least adding servings gradually. Fruit and fruit juce also have a good deal of water, and fruit sugars that tend to have a laxative and stool softening effect.

BlogDiva
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I love Dr. Oz too! I am going to try this shake. I am doing Belly Fat Cures and it looks like it will fit in well.

Suzanne 3FC
09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Has anyone used this smoothie recipe and found that it helped with your weight loss? If so, please send me a PM. A magazine is looking for success stories involving this recipe.

GiggleGoddess
12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I lost the magazine that had Dr. Oz's smoothie recipe and I finally got around to searching for it on the internet. Thanks you guys for posting it and all the tips and tricks! My mom is finally buying me a new blender (Ninja Master Prep Pro) and I can't wait to start making smoothies again! Wish me luck!:carrot:

GiggleGoddess
12-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a question...is it possible to make this smoothie the night before and refrigerate/freeze it? Would this decrease the nutritional value of the smoothie? Would it decrease the nutritional value if one blended/juiced vegetables instead of fruit? What do you think?

Also, has anyone caught the (Dr. Oz) 4 smoothie/juice recipes in the Feb. 2011 issue of First? I have the magazine and wondering if anyone would like them to post here.

kristyflo771
02-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone, I just started the smoothie. I use the V8 fruit juice and its really not that bad! Now my question is when i make this smoothie its alot more then a glass full, do you finish all of it or just drink the tall glass? I hope this works for me. Im not happy with my weight and i just need a little jump start! I started eating a grapefruit in the morning also. Trying to eat more babay carrots as a snack. So i hope this first week i will see a diffrence! Is there anyone new satrting tis also? :jig::dizzy:

GiggleGoddess
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone, I just started the smoothie. I use the V8 fruit juice and its really not that bad! Now my question is when i make this smoothie its alot more then a glass full, do you finish all of it or just drink the tall glass? I hope this works for me. Im not happy with my weight and i just need a little jump start! I started eating a grapefruit in the morning also. Trying to eat more babay carrots as a snack. So i hope this first week i will see a diffrence! Is there anyone new satrting tis also? :jig::dizzy:

I would say snack on nuts and cheese...carrots will get boring after awhile and they will make you hungrier. I've like using cucumbers, and zucchini.
I'll have to try it with the V8 juice - great idea! I suppose you could split it in half and stick the other half in the fridge but I don't know if it will last. Good luck!

kristyflo771
02-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I would say snack on nuts and cheese...carrots will get boring after awhile and they will make you hungrier. I've like using cucumbers, and zucchini.
I'll have to try it with the V8 juice - great idea! I suppose you could split it in half and stick the other half in the fridge but I don't know if it will last. Good luck!

great. I will try that . ilove cucumbers. Have you been doing this faithfully, everyday? Have you been going to the bathroom on a regular. I think i have to drink a little more water. I cant wait to see some of the belly fat go down!!!! I hope we can do this together and have a buddy system!:carrot:

Golfer Girl
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I've been drinking since it first came out. Love it! Really has trimmed down my "belly". I use skim milk instead of the 1 cup of juice. (The juice doesn't agreee with me). I also take a fish oil pill instead of putting it in the drink. I use either vanilla or chocolate flavored Soy protein (Less cholestrol) with a touch of cinnamon and last, I use frozen fruit. It's really pretty tasty!!!!

Has anyone tried the "green" smoothie that was in the latest First or Woman's World magazine.

Love that Dr. Oz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carrieann52
09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi there
I just started the Dr Oz's belly fat-blasting diet ...one of my friends that is on it says that instead of breaking open the cod liver oil pills in the smoothie he just takes the caplets orally ..this is what I started doing ..no fish taste and smoothie tastes great :0)

teagal
11-17-2011, 01:25 PM

you can buy fish oil that isn't fishy! it really is good for you.

teagal
11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Did anyone try/see Dr. Oz's smoothie recipe posted in Womans World Magazine dated March 8th? I love Dr. Oz, and had to get it to see what it was. LOL Well I bought all of the ingredients and let me say, it doesn't taste great, but I plan on drinking it everyday. Anyone else try it or thinking about it? :) I honestly do not drink it thinking it will blast my belly fat, I know everything in it is good and it keeps me full. Just wish the taste was a little better. LOL

Here is the recipe:

In blender whip:

1 cup of juice (any variety)
1/2 banana or 3/4 berries (I added both)
2 tbs whey powder (I use 1 scoop)
2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 tbs ground psyllium husk
1 tbs chia seeds (I use ground)
1 tbs wheat germ
3 ice cubes

the most important parts of a smoothie are banana and spinach. after that add any fruits you like.
I use 1 whole banana
2 handfuls raw spinach
1/2 cup or so frozen blueberries
1/2 cup or so frozen strawberries

add a bit of cinnamon or anything you desire for added flavor.
I have also added fresh pineapple. yummy!:carrot:

LAgreeneyes
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
This sounds delicious. I will try this. Thanks for posting.

my2cats
02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
(minor tangent) When I was a kid my mom made me take 1 tablespoon of fish oil every day for years... I always hated it and still do. Just thinking about it gives me chills. -shiver-

There are upsides and downsides to being an adult.. but I'll gratefully accept no longer having to drink fish oil as one of them :lol:

Fish oil is so much more than the sum of it's parts.. the smell, the mouth feel, the subsequent fishy burps... Sorry I'm having a little PTSD flashback over here. ;)

Cheree
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I've been drinking since it first came out. Love it! Really has trimmed down my "belly". I use skim milk instead of the 1 cup of juice. (The juice doesn't agreee with me). I also take a fish oil pill instead of putting it in the drink. I use either vanilla or chocolate flavored Soy protein (Less cholestrol) with a touch of cinnamon and last, I use frozen fruit. It's really pretty tasty!!!!

Has anyone tried the "green" smoothie that was in the latest First or Woman's World magazine.

Love that Dr. Oz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could you post the green smoothie recipe? If not, that's OK, but if you can, thank you!