General chatter - Lock Your CHILDREN UP!

View Full Version : Lock Your CHILDREN UP!

EZMONEY
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Some of you may have caught my request for prayers for this young woman in our Prayer Warriors Thread...

As of today authorities believe Chelsea has been murdered and they have a suspect, arrested from evidence found at the site.

What she did was drive to a location with a lot of people at all times and get out and jog, training for her high school track team. A team that my son ran against in school and now coaches against. She did what my daughter does almost every single day.....

I am sick and MAD AS **** :mad:

The creep arrested has molested before and released EARLY from prison...it was recommended that he be locked up for life since he shows ZERO remorse....according to reports on the radio this afternoon...

Our government continues to show us that they are more concerned about this creeps than our children....

Please LOCK YOUR CHILDREN UP FOLKS.....PLEASE......

Here is the link ~ http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/28/lake-elsinore-man-arrested-poway-teens-disappearan/

eclipse
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I hear they are looking at him in connection with the Amber Dubois disapearence, too :(. It's just so sad.

beerab
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately we can't lock up every person... We can't afford it... Unless people want to pay more money for prisons...

It's a very sad case I'm so sorry for the family :(

Personally I think some sex offenders have too many rights... I'm not a parent but I visit Megan's Law now and then and I know who in my neighborhood is a registered sex offender.

I'm naturally a paranoid person and would never go running alone- my coworkers and I go for powerwalks 3x a week and on Monday I was all alone and even though it was noon I didn't go cuz I don't feel comfortable going alone. :(

I keep praying for that poor girl and her family :(

eratosthanes
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
It sounds like if this young woman was doing the same things your daughter does, then this is a tragedy that could occur to anyone, as long as there are sickos anywhere in the world. It's not like this girl was out partying. As a person who has had many bad things happen to her, I can tell you there is just as much danger in a simple walk through the park, being watched by family, or in the CARE of strangers as there is when your child refuses to behave, or if you are negligent.

You can lock them up all you want, they are going to be out of your sight eventually, and this type of thing will not be stopped by sheltering them.

lizziep
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
the guy who assaulted me had no repercussions at all and is now a police office.

i definitely look through a lense of paranoia and terror wherever i go alone. i don't know if it's healthy, but it certainly feels safer.

babygrant
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
:( That poor family.

mariarose
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
It sounds like if this young woman was doing the same things your daughter does, then this is a tragedy that could occur to anyone, as long as there are sickos anywhere in the world. It's not like this girl was out partying. As a person who has had many bad things happen to her, I can tell you there is just as much danger in a simple walk through the park, being watched by family, or in the CARE of strangers as there is when your child refuses to behave, or if you are negligent.

You can lock them up all you want, they are going to be out of your sight eventually, and this type of thing will not be stopped by sheltering them.

because someone out partying deserves to be attacked more than someone out running? :?: How about just not blaming victims, ever?

beerab
03-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I think she meant she wasn't putting herself in a compromising position to where she wasn't aware of her surroundings due to too much drinking or something- not that a person partying deserves it.

EZMONEY
03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
I agree BEERAB...

and for all of you that know me...no way do I think you should lock your children up...

I went for the ATTENTION GRABBER....because I feel this story is important for all of us to know and be reminded of DANGER.....

babygrant
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I went for the ATTENTION GRABBER....because I feel this story is important for all of us to know and be reminded of DANGER.....

A really awesome book is "Protecting The Gift" by Gavin de Becker. http://www.amazon.com/Protecting-Gift-Keeping-Children-Teenagers/dp/0440509009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267500229&sr=8-1

EZMONEY
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Awesome BABYGRANT

Glory87
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Gift of Fear (http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440508835/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267501527&sr=1-1) is also an excellent read - recommend for all women/girls.

eratosthanes
03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
mariarose, I most certainly did NOT mean that someone out partying "deserves what they get!" Beerab got my point, I think.

I have had bad experiences where I DID put myself in an unsafe situation, and others where I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't feel that I deserved it at any of those points. Furthermore, I am a survivor, not a victim. Victims are dead.

Bellamack
03-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Sex offenders do NOT rehabilitate. They should never be released. That poor family, they will never be the same. so sad.

eratosthanes
03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
I have to disagree with you about the not rehabilitating part. I personally know a man who abused a 13 yr. old girl, spent his time, and has never re-offended. Granted, in MOST cases these perverts (esp. of the under 12 category) are going to offend again without help, but for some it is possible. The man that I am speaking of got a lot of help, and has not re-offended for 13 years. Really, it is an option. The problem is you don't know who it is going to work for until they are back in society, and that puts A LOT of people at risk.

rosekeet
03-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Makes me feel a little ill. Now I feel justified that I never run out doors. There are a lot of creeps in the world.

bacilli
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM
What saddens me the most is that sex offenders are monitored MUCH more closely now than they were 15 years ago, but still not closely enough in my opinion. Even though they're required (in my state at least) to register for the rest of their lives, there's not enough manpower to do regular checks on them. My old roommate's brother was convicted of child molestation in the 90's, and has been in and out of prison on parole violations since then. However, when she and I were roommates, he lived across from a daycare center. He told the state he was living with his mom across town, and because they don't check up, it took me calling them to get him violated again.

Releve
03-02-2010, 07:20 AM
I've been following this story on HLN. It makes me sick and my heart goes out to her poor family. The sad fact is that all women are always at risk just by virtue of being women. I would LOVE to ride my bike, but we live in a rural area and I don't get to ride unless my DH accompanies me. I always chafed at that until something happened to me shortly after Hurricane Katrina. I was SAGing for our bike club who was on a training ride. They stopped at a convenience store for a potty break and I pulled over about 30ft from them and sat there with my window down and engine running. A man leaned WAY into my window and demanded money. Crazily, I was thinking I only had about $5 in cash and would that be enough? I gave it to him and he went away. All this in full view of about 30 strapping men. I don't give my DH grief about riding alone now.

Passionista
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I was getting gas the other day and saw a flier about this missing girl, Chelsea, listing how she was a straight a student, a community volunteer and tutor. It just makes me so sad to see that this bright light has been extinguished.

To clarify, it's not her MERIT that makes this sad; no one should be treated this way. As a mother of an amazing daughter who possesses many of the attributes this young girl had, it just hit close to home.

As far as most sex offenders go, I don't feel they *deserve* freedom or second chances. I don't support the death penalty but feel that sex offenders should not have freedom ever again after they take it away from someone else.

bargoo
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
My heart goes out to this family. No family should have to go through this ordeal..We must keep them in prayer.

alinnell
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
There is only one word that works here. Castration.

SnowWolf
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
:(grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad::mad::mad:

I have no real words!!! just cursings in my mind.

Self-defience! My parents put me threw kempo karate, I can kick butt, please make sure your children can protect themselves. :(

SnowWolf
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I was getting gas the other day and saw a flier about this missing girl, Chelsea, listing how she was a straight a student, a community volunteer and tutor. It just makes me so sad to see that this bright light has been extinguished.

To clarify, it's not her MERIT that makes this sad; no one should be treated this way. As a mother of an amazing daughter who possesses many of the attributes this young girl had, it just hit close to home.

As far as most sex offenders go, I don't feel they *deserve* freedom or second chances. I don't support the death penalty but feel that sex offenders should not have freedom ever again after they take it away from someone else.

I agree!!!

midwife
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Absolutely devastating. Thoughts and prayers for her family.

Violet73
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
UGH!!!!!!!!!!! We had a sex offender move down the street from us which was just two blocks from an elementary school. In my state they cannot live that close to schools. You wouldn't believe other states who do not have laws against this though. I reported him to our governor's office as the police said they could not force him to move. The man was forced to move after my phone call. He had REPEATED offenses with multiple children of all ages...male and female. Also rape on women. He should have never even been let out! And they wonder why our children in America are obese (mine isn't but I'm just saying) kids cant even go outside and play without us worrying about some pervert. CASTRATION would maybe make some of these predators think twice!

mandalinn82
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
This is so devastatingly sad.

But it's also important to remember that only 10% of child sexual abuse cases are perpetrated are by strangers, the kind you'd prevent by keeping sex offenders outside of the neighborhoods of schools and locking up your kids, etc. A full 90% of child sexual abuse is committed by family members (30% of cases) or friends/acquaintances (60% of cases). Even if you lock them up, most of the danger is unfortunately in our own homes, families, and known communities.

lizziep
03-02-2010, 03:55 PM
i have my doubts about castration as well - how much of it is physical and how much mental? there are still hands... tools... not to be disgusting but if someone is compelled to assert their power over another by means of force and in a sexual manner- not being able to get an erection will not make much of a difference.

bargoo
03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I think this case goes way beyond sexual abuse. This , in all probability is murder. Sexual abuse is disgusting enough and has long lasting consequences but doesn't necessarily lead to murder. A rapist/murderer is a beyond evil. I personally think hanging is too good for a criminal of this sort.

mom4life
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm on TX but originally from So Cal, my mom lives in Poway. she was just telling me about this story this past weekend. Its just heart breaking.

Sweetcaroline
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
How very sad, they found a body in the water near her jogging path. It's believed to be Chelsea...

Please those of you who run/walk or ride on a regular basis, take different routes, park in different spots.. change up your routine and leave no patterns in your daily 'routines'... as these dirty rotten thieves of life lurk everywhere.......

midwife
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
:(

JulieJ08
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Please those of you who run/walk or ride on a regular basis, take different routes, park in different spots.. change up your routine and leave no patterns in your daily 'routines'... as these dirty rotten thieves of life lurk everywhere.......

This is really sad, because personally, my body really thrives on routines. All that constantly trying to do things differently to keep from getting attacked is stressful and pretty much ruins a pleasant day. And since you have to do it everyday ...

bargoo
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
The body of Chelsea King has been found. Pray for her family.

alinnell
03-02-2010, 10:46 PM
So terribly sad.

EZMONEY
03-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I heard on the way home from work that she was found. I am just sick about it.

All day long all I could think of today was how her dad went to the site the day she didn't come home and ran the trails looking and calling for her...something I would do....only to keep ending up at her car.

She was found about 1/2 mile from her car :(

My son, who ran with boys her age in school and now coaches them is very-very upset....as is my daughter who runs....

I know the feeling of thinking someone abducted your child...I won't go into it now...but that was only for about 5 minutes....the worst 5 minutes of my life...I cannot imagine the pain of Chelsea's parents right now.

Hug your kids....

EZMONEY
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I just watched a "planned before" vigil for her...hundreds were there...her parents came to thank everyone...

edit....over 2,000 there

the reporter was crying, a male, trying to report it...

this story has touched so many in our area because of the circumstances...

Prayers it never happens again....

EZMONEY
03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
EDIT ~

the crowd has grown to over 5,000....

eratosthanes
03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
This really is a tragedy. Unfortunately it is played out time and again by people (women too!) with no respect for innocence. The difference between someone who did something horrible and stupid, and consequently are haunted by guilt for having caused someone so much pain and someone who needs to stay locked up for the rest of their lives is a conscience, but as there is no way to measure that until they discover how to read minds we need to come up with more lasting ways to deal with this.

Because I believe that people can change (having seen it) and because I don't believe in the death-penalty, I can't see locking people up for the rest of their lives (unless a repeat offender, or with some one regardless of age who didn't consent, or to a CHILD ) is the answer, but what is, then? I certainly don't have one.

Some states require chemical castration for repeat offenders, but this is not enough. There are some people in my past who should have never been let out of prison, and others who never went because of some out-dated law that said they TECHNICALLY did nothing illegal (tell that to my psyche, thank God they changed it to save many other poor little girls) much less allowed in a situation where they had ANYTHING to do with children ever again.

AR4life
03-03-2010, 12:15 AM
:( I'm sending prayers to her family, such terrible news :(

EZMONEY
03-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Off to bed but I just wanted to say that a few months ago a young women got away from the creep by punching him in the nose...she knows martial arts!

CLCSC145
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
So heartbreaking. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain and sorrow these parents are feeling.

I have very strong opinions about punishment for sexual predators particularly those who prey on children. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated. In this case, even the psychologist who testified on this guy's case when he attacked the 13 year old neighbor said, "There is no known treatment for an individual that sexually assaults girls and does not admit to it in any way." He showed no remorse in that case. He should have been locked away for life.

bargoo
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Because I believe that people can change (having seen it) and because I don't believe in the death-penalty, I can't see locking people up for the rest of their lives (unless a repeat offender, or with some one regardless of age who didn't consent, or to a CHILD ) is the answer, but what is, then? I certo.

Richard Allen Harris was a career criminal having been arrested many times for burglary and other crimes. He was eventually convicted of kidnapping and received a 16 year sentence, He was released after 8 years and kidnapped a beautiful 12 year old girl from her own home . He murdered that young girl and now sits on California's Death Row having been convicted of murdering Polly Klass. This appears to be someone that is not interested in change, as a matter of fact when the judge sentenced him he gave him the finger, with both hands.

nelie
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
This story just got worse, if that could happen.

Amber Dubois, 14 year old had been missing since February 2009. When I went to visit my parents (who probably live 15 miles or so from where Amber lived?), I saw multiple missing persons signs for Amber everywhere and old signs were torn down, new signs put up for over a year.

They found her body today and they think it may be the same guy!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/07/bn07amberpresser/

If it is him, at least he isn't free to do this to any more girls :(

Rythm
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't like castration in theory (personally I don't give a sh-t what happens to people who get off on the suffering of others, but I'm puting my emotions aside for this). I believe that all human beings have the right to their sexuality. To castrate them and take that away would be inhumane, sort of like how thieves have their hands cut off in some country in the middle east. It's just too much. Life in prison is more suitable. I don't like the idea of people being locked up either, but what other option is there? At least in prison their needs are met, and people are safe. It's best to think of prison as a mini-society for those who need to be monitored and can't be trusted to be in our society without terrorizing people. ...

EZMONEY
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
It has been a sad time for our county this past year....Amber's parents and team have been in the news daily for their search...

prayers the peace they seek comes soon....

The peace that surpasses all human understanding...Philippians 4:7

eclipse
03-07-2010, 09:28 PM
This story just got worse, if that could happen.

Amber Dubois, 14 year old had been missing since February 2009. When I went to visit my parents (who probably live 15 miles or so from where Amber lived?), I saw multiple missing persons signs for Amber everywhere and old signs were torn down, new signs put up for over a year.

They found her body today and they think it may be the same guy!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/07/bn07amberpresser/

If it is him, at least he isn't free to do this to any more girls :(

I had a feeling that was going to happen :(.

EZMONEY
03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
The news tonight is that the two girls deaths came from different people.

eclipse
03-08-2010, 12:30 AM
The news tonight is that the two girls deaths came from different people.

If that's true, it's even worse :(. That means there's another psycho out there. I've been trying to stay away from the news coverage of all this, because it's really hard for me to process.

JulieJ08
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
There's always another psycho out there.

JustSharing83
03-08-2010, 06:03 AM
If any posters or their kids have an iPod or iPhone, I highly recommend a free app called "CrimeReports" if your city participates. It maps out sex offenders and shows their pictures. It also tells you what crimes have been committed in your area so you can be aware of local dangers.

EZMONEY
03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
JERI the police are not releasing much info on it but last night a private investigator for Amber said there was a tip/lead that came out and it was not Chelsea's killer.

beerab
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't like castration in theory (personally I don't give a sh-t what happens to people who get off on the suffering of others, but I'm puting my emotions aside for this). I believe that all human beings have the right to their sexuality. To castrate them and take that away would be inhumane, sort of like how thieves have their hands cut off in some country in the middle east. It's just too much. Life in prison is more suitable. I don't like the idea of people being locked up either, but what other option is there? At least in prison their needs are met, and people are safe. It's best to think of prison as a mini-society for those who need to be monitored and can't be trusted to be in our society without terrorizing people. ...

Screw this castration crap- just kill them- and don't put them on death row to live a cushy life for 10 years- give them two weeks to make a will then get rid of them. We don't need these people in society. I think more people would think twice about commiting a crime like murder/rape if they knew they'd be dead in two weeks rather than 10 years.

When a person kills/sexually molests someone I believe they aren't "human beings" at this point anymore and don't have rights to anything. They have nothing more to contribute to society.

This is why those countries with swift justice have such low crime rates IMO. You don't steal BECAUSE you don't want to lose your hand, you don't rape/murder cuz you don't want to be killed.

EZMONEY
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
News here tonight is ...the Escondido police say their focus is still on Chelsea's killer in the case of Amber...

a lot of things being written that get changed....

rachinma
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
re: sex offenders & rehabilitation

I read an interview once with a convicted sex offender. He had served his time and was in aggressive therapy/treatment. He acknowledged that there was something wrong with him and the way his was wired. He knew it was wrong, but he also knew his urges would probably never go away. The therapy was cbt (cognitive behavior therapy) to work to control his behavior when he felt inappropriate urges.

It seemed tragic that he knew it was wrong and didn't want to reoffend, but there was something just off with is wiring.

sammiefields2512
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
It's disgusting how lenient the justice system is sometimes.