100 calorie snack pack cookies of your choice 100
total 400

michelina's lean gourmet beef pepper steak and rice 270
1/2 cup green giant broccoli and carrots 40
1/2 cup edy's chocolate vanilla swirl yogart 100
total 410

hhichick
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I think these are some great ideas. I eat whole foods whenever possible but I'm often on the road. My magic meal number is 350-400 calories as well - so it's great having some on the road "go to"s in mind. (It's pretty easy to make it work when I'm home cooking.)

Tonight's dinner - not a lot of cooking involved and all stuff on hand:

Chicken parmesan made with Schwan's Spicy Chicken Breast (190 calories), Barilla Sweet Peppers marinara (60) and a slice of light Swiss (50). Served over spinach sauteed with fresh herbs and more marinara (80).

This turned out really yummy. :)

mandalinn82
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Some of my favorites are:

Beef Stew - this makes 4 servings at about 345 calories per
1 lb lean stew meat
3 cups potato, 1 inch dice
2 cups carrot, 1 inch slices
2 cups celery, 1 inch slices
1 onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Bay leaf
6 cups low sodium chicken or beef stock
2 tbsp cornstarch
Salt and Pepper to taste

Soften onion and garlic in olive oil, then brown meat. Add carrots, celery, potato, bay leaf, pepper, and all but 1/4 cup of the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 hours (this is also good in a crockpot on low for 8 hours), covered. Before serving, combine the last 1/4 cup stock with the cornstarch, bring stew to a rolling boil, and stir in cornstarch slurry. Simmer until thickened.

Spaghetti Squash Bake - 4 servings, 385 calories per serving, can be prepared, put in fridge, and baked when you get home.
1 large spaghetti squash, baked or microwaved and raked with a fork into strings
1 lb lean ground turkey, browned with 1 diced onion, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups plain marinara sauce
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese

Brown the meat with the onions, garlic, and seasoning, then add the marinara sauce and spaghetti squash strands. Toss to combine. Place in a baking dish, sprinkle cheese over top, and bake at 375 until cheese is golden and bubbly, 30-40 minutes. Serve with a side salad, if desired.

nelie
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
My dinner tonight was this:

Split pea soup - 250 calories
(here is a good recipe http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/12/thick-and-hearty-split-pea-soup.html)
A piece of sprouted barley toast - 70 calories
1/2 cup cut up pineapple - 40 calories
360 calories

Lori Bell
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I usually stick around 400 calories for lunch.

Some of the things I eat:

*Sandwich with low calorie bread, chicken & low fat cheese and lettuce, pickle, onion, tomato, spicy brown mustard, (200 calories)
yogurt (100 calories)
large apple or (any fruit for 100 calories)

*3 cups homemade vegetable (beef or chicken or turkey) soup (300 calories)
fruit or yogurt (100 calories)

*chef type salad with hard boil egg, chicken and low calorie dressing (400 calories worth)

For fast:
*Smart-Ones lasagna (300 calories)
fruit or yogurt (100 calories)

*Culver's classic Caesar salad (358 calories)
w/ lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing (45 calories)

robinobx1
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I think these are some great ideas. I eat whole foods whenever possible but I'm often on the road. My magic meal number is 350-400 calories as well - so it's great having some on the road "go to"s in mind. (It's pretty easy to make it work when I'm home cooking.)

Tonight's dinner - not a lot of cooking involved and all stuff on hand:

Chicken parmesan made with Schwan's Spicy Chicken Breast (190 calories), Barilla Sweet Peppers marinara (60) and a slice of light Swiss (50). Served over spinach sauteed with fresh herbs and more marinara (80).

This turned out really yummy. :)

That sounds really good. My kind of meal quick & easy.

ValentineNicole
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm a fan of healthy choice meals or soups if I'm on the go - just look at the calories before buying! I've bought a few that were like 210 calories, and I looked at the box at work and thought, "Crap. I'm going to be starving in a couple hours."

hhichick
03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
The beef stew sounds yummy - I'm going to have to give that a try, soon.

mandalinn82
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Tonight I am having:
1 lb ground turkey breast, combined with 1 onion, grated, 1 clove garlic, finely minced, 1 carrot, grated, 1 zucchini, grated, 2 tbsp ketchup, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper. Mix to combine, then divide into 8 equal portions and place each portion in one cup of a spam-sprayed muffin tin. Brush the tops of each with remaining 2 tbsp of ketchup and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. (175 calories for 2 muffin-sized meatloaves).

1 cup red potato in wedges, tossed with 1 tsp olive oil and herbs and baked at 375 for 50 min or so, until browned (160 calories)

1 cup asparagus, tossed with 1 tsp of olive oil and roasted at 375 for 20 min, then tossed with a mix of one finely minced clove garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, pepper, salt, and the zest of one lemon. (45 calories)

eratosthanes
03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
1 1lb.12 oz. cn crushed tomatoes, or whole Roma tomatoes, drained and crushed
1/2 cn whole black olives, or 1/2 cup marinated (deli) olives (omit salt), chopped and pitted
1 13 oz cn mushrooms, or 1/2lb. of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 shallot, thinly sliced, 1/3 reserved
1 med. onion, diced, 1/2 reserved
4-6 cloves garlic, depending on size, sliced or minced (I prefer sliced)
1-2 med. carrots, sliced or diced
1 celery heart, or two stalks plus a pinch of celery seed (reserved), sliced or diced
1 med. yellow squash
1 med. zucchini
1 Tb oregano or 5 fresh sprigs
1 t marjoram
1 Tb basil, or 5 fresh leaves
1 t crushed rosemary, or 1 fresh sprig
2 bay leaves
2 T high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup red wine (make sure wine is DRINKING quality, NOT cooking wine), 1/4 reserved (optional)
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tb balsamic vinegar
2 Tb Romano cheese (optional)
2 Tb Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 t MSG (optional)
grey sea salt, or plain sea salt, or kosher to taste
pepper melange or fresh ground pepper to taste

After preparing and reserving vegetables, heat olive oil in large pan or skillet.
Saute olives, 2/3 shallot, 1/2 onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until they begin to blacken around edges, or until minced garlic is golden brown.
Add 3/4 cup red wine and reduce until gone.
Add vinegars and reduce until gone.
Add remaining shallot and onion, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and saute until onion is translucent.
Add crushed tomatoes, Romano cheese, MSG, and herbs, stir until combined, add remaining wine, salt and pepper and stir again.
Simmer on low for one hour, uncovered, adding water if necessary, and stirring occasionally.

Serve this over spaghetti squash, and it only comes out to 268 cal. a serving! (Edit: makes 4 servings)

eratosthanes
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
2 celery stalks 20
1 Tb peanut butter 90
20 raisins 30
˝ cup 1% milk 50
Total: 190

I also wanted to add this one as it is like a small meal or large snack.

nelie
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Chipotle veggie salad (no dressing) - 350 calories
Lettuce, black beans, grilled veggies, tomato salsa, corn salsa, green or red salsa (I like red), guacamole on the side (swap out guacamole for rice for about 400 calories total)

dietcokehead98
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
1 grilled chicken breast-160
2/3 cup betty crocker instant mashed potatoes-80
1 cup green beans-44
284 total

JackiG
03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Tonight I am having:
1 lb ground turkey breast, combined with 1 onion, grated, 1 clove garlic, finely minced, 1 carrot, grated, 1 zucchini, grated, 2 tbsp ketchup, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper. Mix to combine, then divide into 8 equal portions and place each portion in one cup of a spam-sprayed muffin tin. Brush the tops of each with remaining 2 tbsp of ketchup and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. (175 calories for 2 muffin-sized meatloaves).

1 cup red potato in wedges, tossed with 1 tsp olive oil and herbs and baked at 375 for 50 min or so, until browned (160 calories)

1 cup asparagus, tossed with 1 tsp of olive oil and roasted at 375 for 20 min, then tossed with a mix of one finely minced clove garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, pepper, salt, and the zest of one lemon. (45 calories)

This sounds VERY yummy! I plan on making it for dinner next week! Thanks! :)

JackiG
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Spaghetti Squash Bake - 4 servings, 385 calories per serving, can be prepared, put in fridge, and baked when you get home.
1 large spaghetti squash, baked or microwaved and raked with a fork into strings
1 lb lean ground turkey, browned with 1 diced onion, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups plain marinara sauce
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese

Brown the meat with the onions, garlic, and seasoning, then add the marinara sauce and spaghetti squash strands. Toss to combine. Place in a baking dish, sprinkle cheese over top, and bake at 375 until cheese is golden and bubbly, 30-40 minutes. Serve with a side salad, if desired.

This one sounds soooo good too! I am making it tomorrow! I planned on making squash spaghetti and turkey meatballs. This will be a nice change! :) Thanks again!

Your stew sounds awesome too, but I do not eat red meat (since my new lifestyle, I plan on adding it later).

Passionista
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I usually make home made food and use many vegetables, but here's something I take to school occasionally when I don't have time to cook.

Silk Chocolate Milk: 150
Baby Carrots and celery: 30
Hummus: 100
Dr. Kraker Klassic 3 Seed: 120

time2lose
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
My favorite lunch right now is 300 calories.

Green Giant Simply Steam Green Beans And Almonds (entire box) 115 calories - I love these and eat them often!
Kirkland Grilled Chicken Strips (4 oz) 150 calories (Frozen so they are processed but I decided that the convenience is worth it.)
Clementine - 35 calories - I will often eat 2 which makes the total 335 calories.

mandalinn82
03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Tonight's Dinner -
Chicken and Broccoli Stirfry over Brown Jasmine Rice - 4 servings @ about 400 calories each.

1 lb chicken breast, cut in thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups broccoli florets
3/4 cup brown jasmine or basmati rice

Sauce:
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup.
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch

Cook the rice using your favorite method (I cook mine Alton Brown style in the oven)

In a very hot pan, cook the onion and garlic until softened. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through. Remove to a bowl.

Add the broccoli to the pan, plus the 1/4 cup chicken broth, and reduce heat to medium. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, whisk together all sauce ingredients.

Add chicken and onion back into pan, pour over sauce, and toss. Raise heat back up to high, bring to a simmer, and cook until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.

jigglefree
03-02-2010, 03:03 PM
My favorite lunch is:
1 Morning Star original grillers veggie burger - 130 Cals
1 Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin - 100 Cals
1 cup of Romaine Lettuce - 15 Cals
2 Slices of Tomato - 3 Cals
1 cup of plain Cheerios for crunch value - 100 Cals ( I don't put them on anything)!!!
1 bottled water

Total 348 yummy and very filling.

stella1609
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
For lunch, I usually do some combination of the following:

8 oz V8 Fusion 110 calories
Sargento mozarella string cheese 70 calories
Yoplait Thick and Creamy Light yogurt 100 calories
1 serving of wholegrain Goldfish 140 calories
1 serving of Triscuits Thin Crisps 130 calories
Slice of homemade honey-wheat bread 150 calories
Kashi granola bar 140 calories
Carrot sticks 25 calories
Mini salad (some combination of carrots, broccoli, raw mushrooms, spinach leaves, fat free salad dressing, bacon bits) 50-75 calories
Caramel corn rice cake 50 calories
One square of Dove dark chocolate 40 calories
Bottled water

Every morning, I choose 4-5 things from this list and put together my lunch for 400-500 calories (if I have time, I eat part of my lunch as a snack). The microwave and fridge at work just gross me out, so everything on my list can be packed with an ice pack, no refrigeration or heating necessary! It's great for road trips or travel too.

cathydoe
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Stella that is a great idea to have those things on hand and then you can also have variety! I like this idea! HOOT! thank you

mandalinn82
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Continuing to post my dinners for the week (I use leftovers for lunch the next day):

Beef and Barley Soup - 4 servings at 366 calories each, freezes well
1 lb extra lean beef stew meat, cut into smallish pieces
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cups carrot, 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups celery, 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups zucchini, 1/2 inch dice
3/4 cup pearled barley, dry
6 cups reduced sodium beef or chicken broth
4 cups chard or other greens, roughly chopped

Brown meat over high heat in a large dutch oven with lid. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute until softened. Add vegetables, saute 2-3 minutes. Add barley and broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1.5 hours, until vegetables, beef, and barley are softened. Just before serving, stir in the greens and cook until wilted.

babygrant
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
bump

bronzeager
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
At one of the places I worked they used to make this at the cafeteria once a week -- I think they called it "Mexican Sunrise." I made it last night and I had forgotten how great it was.

Slice half of an orange sweet potato the long way to make 2 quarters (or a whole small one in half) -- about 200g or 150-200 calories worth. Toss or brush with 1/2 tsp olive oil, and salt and pepper.

Broil, grill or bake potato at 450 degrees for about 25 min until outside is crispy and browned.

Top with —
1/2 cup black beans (100 cal)
1 tbsp shredded cheese (50 cal)

(I use the premixed Kraft "Mexican" mix which I think is cheddar and colby.) Put back in oven for 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted.

Top with salsa and a tablespoon of thick yogurt if desired. Can add a couple of grilled shrimp or fake crabs for more color, and a green salad on the side.

parkedout
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
My favorite lunch:

1 WHOLE CAN of Cambells Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle ---240
1 little container of Dole chunky pineapples -- 60

Thats 300 extremely filling calories.

My favorite supper:

1 4 oz chicken breast, baked and seasoned ---- 110
1/2 cup green beans ---- 20
1/2 cup Lipton Sides Chicken Rice ---- 130
1 Brown N Serve Roll ---- 70

and for dessert 1 sheet of graham crackers ---- 70

For an even 400 calories.

MMM!

AnnieDrews
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
(I originally posted this in the vegetarian section yesterday. I am not vegetarian BTW, but had seen this thread and thought this might sound good to someone there.)

I tried this today and it was so yummy! It is my healthy version of one of my fav sandwiches. The original is a plain bagel, toasted, with cream cheese, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts and red onion. I used to have the deli add bacon to it sometimes, too.

My version:
-1 Double Fiber Oroweat English Muffin (110 cal., 8 grams fiber), toasted
-About 2 Tbsp fat free cream cheese (30 cal.)
-Sliced cucumber, lettuce, bean sprouts, sliced green pepper.(I personally don't count calories on raw veggies.)

(I reheated in micro for 20 sec. to take the chill off. It didn't affect the crispness of the veg.)

I ate a few grape tomatoes and sugar snap peas alongside. It tasted so good to me to have a sandwich for lunch. You could also add a medium banana (110 cal.) or 1 cup grapes (100 cal.).

mandalinn82
03-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Yesterday's dinner:
4 oz (raw weight) pork loin roast (160 cals)
1 cup roasted potato (166 cals)
1.5 cups roasted asparagus (50 cals)

Tonight's dinner:
5 oz (raw weight) grilled chicken breast, marinated in lemon, garlic, and herbs (130 cals)
Butternut squash soup made of 1.5 cups cubed butternut, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/4 of an onion, and spices (125 cals)
1.5 cups roasted asparagus (50 cals)

megsss94
03-30-2010, 02:41 PM
For lunch, I have been having a SmartOnes (about 280 cals) and a Yoplait light yogurt (about 100 cals). 380 calories

I also love the Progresso light soups! I had their Southwest chicken and rice soup yesterday... an ENTIRE CAN for 160 cals. I ate it with 5 saltines (60 cals) and it was a super filling dinner. 240 calories

I also take some stir-fry veggies (75 cals), cut up chicken breast into chunks (100 cals) and serve it with brown rice (110 cals). I usually add some kind of seasoning to the stir fry, but I always use the no-salt added and no calorie. 285 calories

Another DELICIOUS one- put 4 chicken breasts in the crock pot (100 cals each), add a packet of low sodium taco seasoning (20 cals per chicken breast) and spread salsa on top of the chicken breasts (50 calories per chicken breast). Pour some water in the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours. This is seriously one of the best chicken recipes I have ever found! I either serve it with brown rice (about 110 cals) or mexican blend canned corn (110 cals). Amazing 280 calorie dinner!!

AnnieDrews
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
My current fav supper when I am home alone:

Handful of sliced fresh mushrooms (I don't count calories on fresh, unseasoned veg).
Butter flavor cooking spray or ICBINB (negligible if used sparingly)
2 servings Egg Beaters (60 cal.)

Spray small skillet w/ cooking spray. Saute mushrooms over med. heat until softened. Spritz more cooking spray if needed. Add Egg Beaters, cook until desired consistency. Voila! Mushroom omelet!!;)

I usually have this with fresh tomatoes or steamed veg.

ElanaRose
04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Dinner: 1 cup of steamed veggies (fresh) ~50
1-2 oz. of protein 100-200 depending on type of protein
1 small-large sweet potato ~60-120 calories
Water, water, water!

Hydra
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
favorite lunch to pack for work:

one of those 3 oz. fat free tuna salad snack packs with 6 crackers, bumble bee brand - 130 calories
good size apple or medium banana - 100 calories
couple of kosher dill pickles - scant calories
a sandwich baggie of raw fresh veggies and 2 tbsp kraft reduced fat ranch dressing - 160 calories

total of 390 calories

wilma729
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I like finding a sensible sized piece of meat (chicken, beef, pork chops) and steaming veggies...
my favorite veggies are artichokes, asparagus, yellow onion, red and orange and yellow bell peppers, broccoli...

I have also tried incorporating sweet potatoes into my diet, which I've never enjoyed before in my entire life, but cutting them into french fry shaped pieces, brushing with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkling salt, then I bake them for about 15-20 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, they taste a lot better than just baking them like a russett potato and it feels like a tasty treat because they are fries!

dietcokehead98
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
1 pre cooked/frozen chicken breast-130
2 cups frozen veggies-30
160 total
I usually try to eat this for lunch. Sometimes I"ll add another chicken breast for the protien.

1 cup stir fry veggies (frozen)
10 shrimp
stir fry, serve with 1/2 tsp of teriyaki, 1/2 tsp. hoisin.

Vladadog
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
I just went back and read all these great recipes... I want to go eat dinner at mandalynn's place!

Here's my goto 400 calorie meal. It makes a very large serving. If I eat this for breakfast I can happliy go all day without another meal because this leaves me so satisfied.

Carbonara

~ boil 2 oz of Bella Terra 8 whole grain pasta with milled flaxseed (or your wholegrain pasta of choice)

~ while the pasta is boiling - cook up 2 slices of bacon cut into pieces

~ mix up an egg with 2 tablespoons parmesian cheese

~ when pasta is nearly cooked, add 1 cup brocoli (aspargas and snow peas also work very well) to pasta and a bit of minced garlic to the bacon.

~ drain the pasta and the bacon

~ Pour pasta & veggies into bacon pan. Mix well. (do not have heat under the pan - the residual heat in the pan and the pasta, veggies, and bacon is enough. If the burner is still on the egg mixture gets weird.)

Pour egg mixture over top. Mix really well.

Serve with fresh ground pepper.

Calories (per MyPlate): 400, fat: 13, carbs: 50, protein: 26, fiber: 12, Sodium:570

Disneychick29
04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I usually hate the frozen dinners I am so picky but I just tried the Lean Cuisine Chicken Parm it had 320 calories and it was soooo good! I picked it up because I was in a rush and had no time to cook. I trick my mind by putting everything on a smaller plate and I have been *trying* to eat really slow. It helps!

Irishowl
06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
One of my favorite lunches right now is:

1 Orrowheat sandwich thin - 100 calories
1 Morning Star Farm's spicy black bean burger - 120 calories
1 slice cheddar cheese - 80 calories
1 cup sliced cucumber with 2 tbsps lite balsamic vinegrette - 60 calories
1 cup strawberries - 50 calories

410 calories but really filling and delicious!

Shannon

mamadoll
08-14-2010, 02:39 PM
2 Rice Cakes - 70
1 wedge Laughing Cow - 35
4 slices of cucumber - 4
1 small mushroom, raw - 4
total 108Cals

I used the Mozarella, Sundried Tomato and Basil Laughing Cow, but any flavor will do. I split the wedge between the 2 rice cakes, spread it on then topped it with cucumber and mushroom slices. Was very surprised at how good it was. I had 2 servings and an apple for a total of 288Cals and just under 6g of fat.

DaughterOfVenus
08-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I know this might sound gross, but stick with me. It's awesome. I found it on my Spark Recipe app for my iphone.

1.5 cups of dry whole wheat penne
1 cup marinara
2 eggs
four large handfulls of fresh spinach

You start your pasta water boiling, and put your marinara in another small pot to start simmering. Throw your pasta in the water to cook it, and crack your eggs carefully on top of the marinara, cover it and let them poach. When your pasta is about done, throw your spinach in and mix it up and let it wilt, then drain it.

Divide the pasta and spinach into two bowls, top each with an egg and divide the marinara between the two.

Each serving has 340 calories, so you can still add a sprinkle of shakey cheese! Really filling and DELISH especially if you leave the egg yolk a little runny. I know it sounds really weird, but it's cheap and worth a try. I LOVE it.

leannerenee
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I just had a baked potato w/o skin with 1/2 C of Hormel Turkey Chili (more cals than vegetarian chili) and 2 TBSP chredded colby jack cheese (didn't have any ff cheese at home!) and it was soooooo good! I also had a Jello Mousse cup.

Potato- 140 cals
Chili- 105 cals
Cheese- 55 cals
Jello Choc Mousse- 60
360 calories TOTAL

joyc21
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
One of my favorites, and very filling....

1 Burrito:

Whole Wheat tortilla- 100
1/4 c. black beans- 55 cal
3 oz. ground turkey (seasoned to taste)- 142
2 tbsp. salsa- 10
2 tbsp. Kraft 2% cheese (mexican blend)- 40 cal

Total Calories-347

Add 2 oz. plain, nonfat greek yogurt (25 cal.) for a total of 372.

PDXgirl
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I have found making up a base of brown rice and chicken breasts (cooking up enough for a few days all at once) really helps me make fast, filling meals when I have very little time (or inclination) to cook.

I just scoop 1c of brown rice (about 200 cal), one small chicken breast (130 cal) then add in some steamed veggies such as broccoli (40 cal a cup or so).

The thing that keeps me interested is sauces, sauces, sauces! I enjoy sweet balsamic glaze (30 cal a tbsp), lime and chili hot sauces (almost no calories!) and the occasional Trader Joe's yellow curry sauce (100 cal per 1/4 cup)

jilly6
09-25-2010, 08:53 AM
kangaroo whole wheat pita pockets (100 calories a piece)
either leftover chicken or turkey inside, chopped up tomatoes, a little onion and some hopped p bell peppers. Than a few squirts on spray ranch dressing.
Super low in calories but very filling. This is one of my "go to" meals.

Sugaree
09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanksgiving-Style Turkey Meatloaf (Makes 4 servings)

1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1 egg
1 can cranberry sauce
1 cup dried stuffing mix (I use the cornbread style)

Mix the turkey, egg, stuffing mix, and *half* the can of cranberry sauce together. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes (165 degrees internal temp). Microwave remaining cranberry sauce and drizzle over sliced meatloaf.

One fourth of the whole loaf is about 300 calories. I usually eat baked sweet potatoes with it, but mashed cauliflower or other veggies will work as well if you want to save calories.

cornellchick
10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
My new favorite dinner. Filling, delicious, and quite low-calorie. I live alone, so I make all 4 servings and then have leftovers for the rest of the week!

Turkey and Black Bean Chili (Weight Watchers)
(serves 4)

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 pound ground skinless turkey
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded fat-free sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup sliced scallions

Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomaties, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with the cheese, sour cream and scallions.

Serving size: 1 cup chili, with 2 tablespoons chees, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon scallions.
Serves 4
242 Calories, 4g Fat, 25g Carb, 8 g Fiber, 27 g protein
4 Points per serving

steinanwine
11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Chick Pea (or any bean) Burgers!

I made these tonight and they were awesome!! It is a WW recipe:

Veggie Burgers

1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1/4 cup each minced onion, green pepper, carrot, celery
2/3 cup drained canned white kidney (cannellini) beans
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup seasoned dried bread crumbs

In 8-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add onion, pepper, carrot, celery; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and moisture has evaporated. Set aside to cool.

Using a fork, in medium mixing bowl mash beans; stir in egg. Add bread crumbs and veggies. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Shape mixture into 4 equal patties. Set patties on plate and refrigerate covered, 20 minutes.

In same skillet, heat 1tsp of the remaining oil. Add 2 patties; cook over medium heat, turning once, until browned on both sides. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.

Serves 4 - 2 WW points per patty

Per patty: 129 calories; 5g fat; 5g fiber

I used chick peas instead of white beans since that was what I had. I left out the celery and added cilantro. I also used no-fat cooking spray instead of oil. I put this on one of those 100 calorie multi-grain Sandwich Thins and added a little no fat, no cal mayo and salsa. Add any of your usual burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion or low fat cheese.

I was thinking how awesome and easy it would be to add lump crab to this - maybe when you have a few more calories to spare or want a more special dinner. These would make awesome low maintenance crab cakes.

I also like this recipe because you can use any bean. Thinking black bean with some corn and other southwestern ingredients would be delicious too!

Hope someone else tries and enjoys - truly delicious and easy to make. Even the meat loving, big appetite boyfriend loved them.

cathyo
12-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Sweet Potato and Black beans ..makes 5 servings @ 215 calories each
3 cups cooked cubed sweet potatoes
3/4 cp orange juice
2 tsps cornstarch
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cumin
1 can rinsed black beans
1 cp cooked rice
mix everything except beans, potatoes,and rice
heat to boiling stirring constantly
boil 1 minute until thick, stirring constantly
add beans, rice potatoes
cook 2 mins
if you used canned sweet potatoes like I did, it comes out as a mashed potato consistency with the rice and beans mixed in, so is great as a burrito, I have it in the 90 calorie flat bread I buy,,,so calories are then 305/serving

Vegetarian Chili makes 4 servings @ 280 calories each
2 tsp oil
1 lg chopped onion
1 small chopped green pepper
1 med zucchini cut into 1" long roughly 1/4 thick strips..or just dice it up like I do..lol
2 cloves garlic
2 cans pinto beans drained
2 cans tomatoes with chilies undrained
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp cumin
red pepper to taste..optional, I like mine HOT!
heat oil, cook veggies until onion is tender
add beans, tomatoes, spices, simmer 20 mins

Brown Rice Curry Salad...makes 4 servings @ 259 each
1 cp brown rice
1/4 cp chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 cp raisins
2 tbsps scallions minced
1 tbsp oil
14 oz chicken broth
1/2 cp water
1/2 cp diced green pepper

Saute rice, onion, curry, peppers until veggies are soft,
stir in chicken broth and water and bring to a boil
reduce heat. cover and simmer 25-30 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is gone (I add the raisins here too)
Add 1/4 cp Chutney dressing and cool, then add grapes, scallions, and black pepper to taste and more dressing to taste

Chutney dressing
1/2 cp seedless grapes
1/2 cp mango salsa
2 tbsps vinegar
1 tbsp oil
puree grapes and chutney in blender or processor until smooth, add vinegar and oil mix well..

Hula Pizza..makes 1 serving 217 calories
1 8", low fat, whole wheat tortilla
2 tbsps traditional BBQ sauce (or 7 grams carb or less p/2 tbsp type)
3/4 oz (about 3 tblsp goat cheese crumbles, I cheated a bit here and diced up a low fat mozzerella cheese stick since I couldn't find the crumbles
3 tbsps drained diced pineapple, or rings diced into bite size pieces
1 1/2 tsps finely chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400*
Place tortilla on baking sheet, bake 2-4 mins per side or until crisp, watch for air bubbles, if they appear stick a fork in them and press air out gently with a spatula
remove from oven and add toppings (sauce, then cheese, pineapple and cilantro)
Bake another 2-4 mins or until cheese is melted
Slice into wedges and enjoy!

I make up a batch of one of the 1st 3 on a Sunday, so I know my lunch for the week is ready, just scoop a serving and microwave. I do alternate occasionally with a hula pizza or a wrap..

for the wraps I use FLAT OUT whole wheat Light flat bread (90 calories for one) 6 slices of Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh oven roasted Turkey Breast (45 calories) lettuce (hardly worth counting that since it is so small, but I do, (4 calories for 1/2 cup shredded ) With it I'll have a low fat mozzarella cheese stick for 70 calories and 10 Spanish olives for 50 calories...total 259 calories

I usually have a 16 oz bottle of water with these meals..I divide a pack of the crystal lite (or other brand sugar free)on the go things, between 16 oz bottles instead of putting it all in one, so the water is slightly flavored for a 5 calorie per bottle drink

If you try any of these I hope you like them. I can tell you that they are all very good :-)

Cathy

Kateryna
12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Roasted Red Pepper Eggs Sandwich - 331 Cal

Dempster's BodyWise Whole Grain Bagel toasted - 140 cal
Black Diamond Light Sliced Cheese - 40 cal
Egg fried without oil on a non-stick pan - 70 cal
Heinz Ketchup 2 tbsp - 30 cal
Red Pepper - 51 cal
Salt & Cayenne Pepper to taste if you like spicy

**** To make very yummy "fire-roasted" taste pepper, just take red peppers, core them and slice in half and put in the oven on "broil" setting at 450 C for 30 min turning once in-between...SO GOOD!

megems
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Tuna Salad
2 cans tuna in water (200)
2 slices red onion (12)
2 tbsp sweet pickle relish (30)
1/2 c. kraft light mayo (360)
2 hard boiled eggs (136)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Start eggs. Mix rest of ingredients together, refrigerate until ready for eggs. Slice eggs and add to mixture. I will also add some lemon pepper and/or garlic salt to mine (depending on my mood that day).

Makes 8 - 1/4 cup servings. 92 calories/serving.

This of course varies depending on brand.

I add it to toasted wheat bread (2 slices - = 70 calories) for a 162 calorie sandwich. Pair it with cottage cheese or some fruit/vegetable for a meal.

Retro
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Pita Bread Pizza
1 Pita loaf - (150)
2 tbsp Ragu Homemade Style Pizza Sauce (16)
1/4 cup Kraft fat free Mozzerella (45)
8 Hormel Turkey Pepperonis (30)
Total = 241

I put this in the oven and take it out when the cheese is toasted. I also change it up and use Shredded Chicken, Bacon Bits, and Onions which is about 300 cals. You can really use any of your favorite toppings.

LindsaysMommy
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Def. going to try this one, and it sounds so easy, thanks for sharing.

For lunch, I have been having a SmartOnes (about 280 cals) and a Yoplait light yogurt (about 100 cals). 380 calories

I also love the Progresso light soups! I had their Southwest chicken and rice soup yesterday... an ENTIRE CAN for 160 cals. I ate it with 5 saltines (60 cals) and it was a super filling dinner. 240 calories

I also take some stir-fry veggies (75 cals), cut up chicken breast into chunks (100 cals) and serve it with brown rice (110 cals). I usually add some kind of seasoning to the stir fry, but I always use the no-salt added and no calorie. 285 calories

Another DELICIOUS one- put 4 chicken breasts in the crock pot (100 cals each), add a packet of low sodium taco seasoning (20 cals per chicken breast) and spread salsa on top of the chicken breasts (50 calories per chicken breast). Pour some water in the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours. This is seriously one of the best chicken recipes I have ever found! I either serve it with brown rice (about 110 cals) or mexican blend canned corn (110 cals). Amazing 280 calorie dinner!!

oodlesofnoodles
01-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Tonight I am having:

Wow. Made this tonight and it was AMAZING. My dad is a total hater and even he gave me a nod of approval. Thanks for the recipe!

megems
01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Tex Mex Chicken Tacos
Filling:
1 can chunk chicken (shredded)
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup tomatos & green chiles
1-2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp ff sour cream

Mix all over hot skillet until warm (takes about 5 minutes).

1/3 cup of filling = 149

Serve on whole wheat flour tortilla (130 - I used Ortega)

Toppings:
Shredded lettuce, taco sauce (green = 0 calories), hot sauce, 1 tbsp sour cream.

All combined = 304/taco

You can obviously add/take away some things, but these were filing & VERY good!

chickadee32
01-30-2011, 06:07 AM
This is a recipe from I found on epicurious (from Bon Appetit) that I've been making for several years. It's more substantial than tabbouleh, and is very flavorful and filling. It's nice enough to serve as part of a light meal for company, and great to take for a potluck when you want to make sure you have something healthy there to eat yourself! One serving (1/4 of the recipe) is really quite a lot, so when I make this at home I typically divide it into a few more servings and add a little grilled chicken with my meal.

Bulgur Salad with Garbanzo Beans, Feta and Tomatoes
1 cup bulgur
1 teaspoon salt
1 15 1/2-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed, drained*
1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup crumbled light feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Prepare bulgur with 1 tsp. salt according to package directions. Drain and cool, pressing to remove excess water from bulgur.

*Optional: Remove skins from garbanzo beans. I can't stand the skins!

Mix bulgur with all other ingredients.

That's it! Makes 4 large servings.

Calories and fat in your bulgur and light feta may vary, but with the brands I use each serving of the bulgur salad contains 340 calories and 9.5g fat.

rainbow84uk
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Feta, Spinach and Potato Omelette

1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
1 very small potato, diced into little cubes
cup of baby spinach
around 25g of feta, crumbled
1 tsp olive oil (guess you could use 1 cal cooking spray to save around 40 cals here if you wanted)
seasoning (I find the feta salty enough, so just lots of black pepper for me)

Boil the diced potato in a pan of water until soft, then drain.
Put a non-stick pan on a medium heat with the olive oil (guess you could use cooking spray for even less cals/fat). Whisk the eggs, then add the cooked potato and the spinach. Mix quickly, then pour into the pan. When the mixture starts to become firm, crumble the feta on top and pop the pan under the grill to melt the cheese and cook the top layer of egg. Season well and eat hot or cold.

Comes out at around 330 calories in total and is incredibly filling! (I should know, I've just had it for dinner!)

lackadaisy
02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Super simple, intuitive idea -- this is one of the most filling salad meals I've ever made at 400 calories.

Tex-Mex Chicken Salad - 320 calories
4 oz grilled chicken (150 cal)
1/3 avocado, sliced (80 cal)
1 tbsp diced green onions or cilantro (5 cal)
2 oz mild-to-medium low-sodium salsa (15 cal)
2 oz cooked black beans (50 cal)
1/2 cup cucumber slices (5 cal)
2 cups mesclun or raw spinach (15 cal)

How I make it: Cut up the chicken into small pieces. Mix the black beans, salsa, and fresh herbs together for a decadent "dressing" on the salad. Layer the salad with a mesclun base, followed by cucumber, avocado, chicken, and topping (does not "shake" well). To make a light version for 75 fewer calories, take out the avocado and double up on cucumber.

Optional: Serve with 6" whole wheat tortilla (80 cal) for exactly 400 calories.

Lrn932
03-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I make grilled cheese with carbsmart whole grain bread (60x2) and one slice of muenster cheese (80) and a can of original v8 :carrot: (70) all totalling 270 (instead of buttering the bread I use 0 cal pam spray so the bread doesnt burn to the pan.) Its like all the benefits of grilled cheese and tomato soup but lighter:D

Tamlynne31
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow ladies! I am in over drive with all these great recipes and ideas! I am copying like crazy. I am hoping that if I write up a menu for myself it will help me stick to it. I have a favorite recipes I will post in a few minutes.. gotta print all these out lol

Tamlynne31
03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Tonight's Dinner -
Chicken and Broccoli Stirfry over Brown Jasmine Rice - 4 servings @ about 400 calories each.

1 lb chicken breast, cut in thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups broccoli florets
3/4 cup brown jasmine or basmati rice

Sauce:
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup.
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch

Cook the rice using your favorite method (I cook mine Alton Brown style in the oven)

In a very hot pan, cook the onion and garlic until softened. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through. Remove to a bowl.

Add the broccoli to the pan, plus the 1/4 cup chicken broth, and reduce heat to medium. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, whisk together all sauce ingredients.

Add chicken and onion back into pan, pour over sauce, and toss. Raise heat back up to high, bring to a simmer, and cook until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.

You have got the best recipes!! And they are ones even my husband will love! Thank you so much for sharing all of these!

missbrowneyes
03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
TACO SALAD is a staple for me. I make it with lean hamburger meat (with a lil taco seasoning, lettuce, tons of tomato and low fat mexican cheese made with 2% milk. yUMMy!!!!!!:carrot:

chickadee32
03-18-2011, 02:25 AM
This was my dinner tonight, and it was fast, delicious and super filling. All of the items I used were Trader Joe's brands, and so calorie, fat and fiber counts may differ if you use different items. If you do have a Trader Joe's near you all the ingredients are available there pre-prepared (cooked salmon is in the meat case), and so it took about 5 minutes in the kitchen to assemble. You could also do this with cooked chicken or lamb; I think either would be really yummy.

3 oz. poached salmon
1 1/4 c. broccoli slaw (can purchase this bagged, undressed, in the produce section)
1/4 c. sliced green onions
6 T. tzatziki sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
6-inch whole wheat pita bread (I used "Pocketful of Fiber")

Mix salmon, broccoli slaw and green onions with tzatziki in a bowl until well-coated. Mix in salt and pepper to taste. Slice pita in half and stuff with salmon/slaw mixture.

321 calories, 9g fat, 11.8g fiber

Oh 2 be me
03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you all so much! These are great ideas to get me started on this journy. Im amazed at what I can have to eat for 400 cals or less.

Hydra
03-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Yummy Yogurt

1 cup of non-fat/light yogurt (I use Meijer's brand, vanilla flavored, 140 calories per cup)
1 Tablespoon of slivered or sliced almonds (50 calories)
a few drizzles of honey, approx. 1 teaspoon (25 calories)
1/4 cup of fruit (20 to 50 calories, I use berries or cut up apple or sliced banana)

Total calories of 235 to 265, depending on the type of fruit you use. This a real treat! I usually have this in the evening as a nightly snack :)

sweetiieheart
03-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Egg Drop soup
Use egg white instead of using it with the yoke, and you are only eating 17 calories! Plus the chicken broth doesn't have any calories in it, so you can make you some 'soup' and just drink it, hahaha!

Luck's Chicken & dumplings 160 calories

Spaghetto's 340 calories per can

TUNA! 100 calories per 5 ounces

carmencane
03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
mcdonalds hamburger 250
mcdonalds vanilla ice cream cone 150
total 400

This is definitely my favorite breakfast, lunch and dinner.

sweetiieheart
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice Mix

One cup prepared is 130 calories, you'd think that one cup couldn't fill you up, but it's actually a pretty good sized meal!

Oh 2 be me
03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
We ate at OutBack Steakhouse today and I got the Chicken Artichoke Flatbread. It is yummy! 8 slices. I looked up the nutritional value on 'my fitness pal". The whole thing has 596 cal., 32 fat, 11 carbs, 39 gr. protein! I had half of it for lunch-298 cal., with a half a large plain baked sweet tater. The other half I had later in this evening. It's filling and delicious. Would be good for breakfast too.
I'm thinking this could easily be made at home. Oh! And it's only $5.00!!

melissakd
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Love this thread! Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

SunnyMathChick
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I make this Mexican egg thing called chilaquiles. It's really tasty, filling, and only 374 calories.

Recipe on my blog: http://micahandchristine.us/2010/07/08/06-14-55

Fitness Breakout
04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Subway six inch oven roasted chicken breast sub:

At 320 calories, this is the most bang for your calorie I have ever seen in fast food. In my opinion, Subway is the holy grail of healthy fast food. I get the oven roasted chicken breast sub every time I go. I always load it up with all of my favorite veggies: lettuce, pickles, onions, and green peppers. Finally, to add a little kick, I throw on some spicy mustard and jalepenos. This sandwich tastes great and fills me up every time. Also, it has plenty of good stuff (lean protein, veggies) and nothing fried or greasy. No need to add chips or a soda. You’ll just pack on unnecessary calories. This one is a winner on its own.

j0lamo01
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
For Breakfast I like to have a McDonald's egg McMuffin without the canadian bacon= 280 cals you can add some coffee with cream and sugar to equal 400

Lunch I prefer Hormel Compleats Microwave Meals Chilli=310 you can add some saltine crackers to equal 400.

or Dr McDougal's Vegan Black Bean and Lime Soup cup=340 cals

Dinner
3 crab and cream cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms baked in the oven= 300 cals (these are pre-made in the produce section of the grocery)

I am a college student so I eat a lot of fast food and instant food I make McDonald's work for my weight loss lol

FlipFlop Love
06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Tuna and Crackers -- TOTAL: 318 cals, 22.2 g carbs

Tuna ŕ la FlipFlop -- 228 cals, 1.2 g carb
1 Large can of Sunkist Chunklight Tuna in water (5-serving can)
4 TBS Mayonnaise
3 TSP Mustard
1 Mt Olive Pickle (chopped)

Mix it all together and divide into 3 servings.

Crackers -- 90 cals, 20 g carbs
2 Wasa multigrain crackers

You can throw in some fruit and still keep it under 400. :)

femme fatale
06-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Wow, I am in love with this thread!!!

jessica2231
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Cheese and crakers with bellpeppers:

One wedge of Laughing Cow Light(toamto basil)- 35 cals
Allouette Brie Cheese 2 tablespoons (Garlic and Herb)- 90 cals
1/4 of a red bell pepper- 9 cals
1/4 green bell pepper- 9 cals
1 oz. of sharp cheddar cheese- 69 cals
Fiber Select Wheat Thins (15 crackers)-138 cals

Gwen
06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
My current favorite lunch is one I found in the biggest loser mag:

1 whole wheat wrap (100 cal) spread with
1/2 laughing cow tomato basil cheese (17 cal) lay on
3 slices lean roast beef (90 cal) lay on
1/2 roasted red pepper - drained of oil (50 cal) cover with
1/2 c. baby spinach leaves (maybe 10 cal?)

Roll it up and YUMMY! I drink my iced green tea all day to help boost metabolism.

Mix this up every morning:

4 decaf green tea bags steeped 10 min in 2 cups nuked bottled water.
2 cups bottled water
1 single serving packet Wyler's light lemonade
extra lemon if you have it (helps if you're detoxing)

ChickieChicks
07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Pepperoni Flatbread Pizza

1 Flaxseed flatwrap
10 turkey pepperoni
1/8 c. Alfredo light sauce (enough to slightly cover the flatbread)
2 light cheese sticks
1 small tomato, sliced
italian seasoning

Spread sauce on flatbread, sprinkle on seasoning. Layer pepperoni, cheese and tomato. Cook at 425 for 5 minutes to crisp.
310 cals, 13g fat, 25g protein

jessica2231
07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
DOLE and READY MADE SALAD KITS!!!!

all of them are under 500 cals some are under 300 cals!!!

these salad kits are great for dinners and lunches!

my favorite is the Light Caeser by DOLE and the whole bag is 270 cals!!!

Then there is the Santa Fe caeser. it is 375 cals. : )

melissakd
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I've been making some really good foil 'pockets' in the electric roaster to cut down on heat from the over. I make 3 or 4 to have for lunch or dinner during the week.

Double layer foil and fill with chopped onion, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini and about 3 oz chopper chicken breast. Season to your liking. I just use s&p and a tsp of ICBINB. Roast for about an hour. These are very low calorie and absolutely delicious.

kakers
08-20-2011, 06:48 PM
For lunch I like to bring things that are easy to grab...

Cajun Turkey Sandwich:
3 oz Boars Head Cajun Turkey lunchmeat (90 cal)
2 slices whole wheat bread (135 cal)

Polly-O 2% String Cheese (70 cal)
Cup of Mandarin Oranges (40-90 cal depending on brand and what liquid they're packed in)

Or I like me some pepperoni...
2 wheat thins flat bread garlic and basil (60 cal)
7 slices pepperoni (70 cal)
minute rice, brown rice (150 cal)
Mandarins in orange gel (100 cal) the extra sugar from the gelatin is so worth it for the yum factor.

you could always add in a few more slices of pepperoni and go for a healthier fruit option.

~Katy

happygirl5
08-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Wonderful thread and ideas! thank you!
Keep it up :))

sheshalesha
08-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I drink my iced green tea all day to help boost metabolism.

Mix this up every morning:

4 decaf green tea bags steeped 10 min in 2 cups nuked bottled water.
2 cups bottled water
1 single serving packet Wyler's light lemonade
extra lemon if you have it (helps if you're detoxing)

Does this really help with Metabolism?? I need some massive help w/ waking mine up!!

Thanks so much for posting...Can't wait to try it!!

124chicksinger
10-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I've been craving baked mac n cheese for a few weeks. I am a lover of pasta, and have pasta a few times a week with dinner. I like Ronzoni Smart Pasta and Barilla 51% wheat pasta.

I've been looking for mac n cheese diet friendly recipes and saw several that add cauliflower to reduce the pasta, stretch the dish for larger families, and make it healthier by introducing a veg. Today while grocery shopping, I didn't have a recipe with me, so I decided I would just cave and make Kraft mac n cheese (the powdery stuff) add cooked cauliflower and bake it. HOWEVER, they have a new product in a pouch, not a box, labeled "HOMESTYLE" that comes with bread crumb topping and can be baked. You add butter and 2% milk. It was on sale, 2 for ... whatever the reasonable price was.

Instead of 2 tblsp. of butter I used 1, and skim milk not 2%. As prepared per the package, it makes four 1 cup servings, at 340 calories. That reduction/substitution made it a smidge less. Then, I added 2 cups of cooked fresh cauliflower before baking, sprinkled the top w/black pepper, Lawrey's garlic salt & paprika. OMG, it was absolutely delicious. I had 1/4th of the casserole, with stewed tomatoes on the side and left over sirloin. The mac n cheese n cauliflower was so absolutely delicious, filling and satisfying that I didn't feel compelled to eat any more of it because it really hit the spot.

If you're craving it, I highly recommend it. Tasted baked/homemade and it was definitely lightened up calorically.

tingleheart
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Lots of really great ideas here!!! Thank you all.

I also found a blog that I really like that has meals that are 150 to 200 or so calories. Thought some folks here might like this as well. (This is not a site that is selling anything...just a blog of someone who is on a diet like the rest of us and sharing her recipes!)

150caloriemeals.blogspot.com

littlebiskit
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Anyone ever seen/tried these little lunch packs called "Go Picnic"? I just found them a few weeks ago at my local Super Target. They're usually between 3-400 calories, shelf stable, usually cracker/cheese/meat/trail mix or dried fruits/1 bite dessert. Most everything is organic, HFCS free, etc etc. They're maybe a little expensive for what they are (I bought them for $4 each), but they make a heckuva last minute life saver to keep in a desk at work or a bag for school or whatever. I'm kind of a fan, I try to keep 1 or two on hand at work for lazy days. Anyone else tried them? Thoughts?

DezziePS
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
littlebiskit- I love the GoPicnics! I buy them on Amazon- they are slightly cheaper and if you sign up for automatic delivery, shipping is free and there's a little bit of a discount. You can also buy them from the gopicnic website and if you sign up for their list they often have discounts. They are sometimes a bit small, but they feel like a real treat! They have a bunch of different kinds online. The only one I've tried that I didn't like was the salmon spread one. The salami and cheese one is probably my favorite, and the beef nuggets are sort of weird but pretty good, too! Definitely something I keep my pantry stocked with (also good to keep one in the car for emergencies)! I'm a student, so stuff I can take to school that isn't messy and that I can eat between classes without too much fuss is awesome!

somethingelse
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
1 pita - 200
1/2 cup marinara sauce - 90
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese - 80
veggies - like 10-30
bake
about 400

2 cups salad mix - 25
1 oz pre cooked grilled chicken microwaved - 100
1/4 cup pre cooked fajita veggies microwaved - 10
1/4 cup mexican shredded cheese - 100
2 tbsp salsa - 15
mix

1 1/2 cups dry egg noodles (cook them, measure them dry though) - 330
fresh veggies - 15
sprinkle shredded cheese - 50

ArtyKay
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
My new favorite garnish/side dish!!!

Pan Fried Curry Chickpeas

1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1 tbs curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs canola or olive oil
pinch of seasoned salt

Heat oil in pan on high heat until very hot. add seasoning and chickpeas, fry until chickpeas are brown with dark brown spots and crispy (some will split open or "pop.")

These are great on top of a salad, as a side dish, on top of steamed veggies, mixed in with tuna or on brown rice if you can stand the carbs. Loaded with fiber, protein, and good fats.

Nutrition info: 1 serving (1/2 cup)

213 calories
6.1 grams fat (good fat!)
362.7 mg sodium
7.4 g fiber
7.4 g protein

beesparkle
01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Very nice to beable to see what ideas you gals have tried.

Thank you. I am new in here of Yesterday January 25th/2012

so surfing around. This is a ral nice site. My friend recomended it.

:carrot:

Nadya
02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
I can't cook since I live in a hotel and only have access to a microwave so I find myself depending very heavily on healthy tv dinners. My favorites are Smart Ones Three Cheese Ziti Marinara at 300 calories and Healthy Choice Steamers Roasted Beef Merlot at a mere 210. Both are so good, omnomnom!

Also on my list:

Kahiki Chicken Fried Rize - 370
Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers Ziti & Meat Sauce - 340
Green Giant Broccoli & Cheese - 150 calories per pack (2.5 servings)

valalltogether
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
here's something super quick i just picked up

Tuna Salad Sandwich
170 Cals / 4.5 g Fat

1 pkg Starkist Sandwich Ready Tuna Salad (90)
2 Slices Arnold Bakery Light Wheat Bread (80)

and i like to toast my bread. it's great for when you're pressed for time. pair it with some yogurt or fruit and it's pretty much a meal. sooo easy.

Nuclear Indeed
03-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Can't go wrong with a simple chicken soup! This soup is 60 calories per cup. I usually eat two cups at a time (120 cals), which makes ample room for dessert (I had a greek yogurt parfait afterward).

3/4 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cans (or 4 cups) chicken broth
2 cups water

2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups fresh spinach
5 oz canned chicken (trust me, it'll taste okay)
5 grape tomates, chopped

1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs dried dill weed (optional)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1. In a large pot on medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons of chicken broth. Sautee onion and garlic in broth instead of oil until translucent.

2. Add remaining chicken broth and water to the pot.

3. Once hot, put in the bean sprouts, chicken, spinach, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the top.

4. Add all spices once the broth has been cleared of scum/foam. Stir, cover, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.

5. Enjoy!

dawn77
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
these are amazing thank you for sharing cant wait to try some!

J4COSKMB
04-05-2012, 05:46 PM
WHITE BEAN & SWEET ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
**Husband loves when I make this! It is a household favorite!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red pepper, diced
1/2 pound Sweet Italian turkey sausage, bulk or if using links, casings removed
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Two 15-ounce can Cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and divided
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup fat-free half & half
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish

In a stockpot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper and sauté until onions are tender. Stir in sausage and cook until no longer pink. Add basil, oregano, sage, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

With a fork coarsely mash the beans from one can. Add to broth mixture. Stir in remaining can of beans, spinach, and fat-free half & half. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Makes approx. 8 one-cup servings.

Per Serving: Calories 280; Protein 17 g; Fat 10 g; Carbs 16; Sugar 3 g; Sodium 893 mg

KittyKatFan
04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I love this combo: it is very easy and quick to make, leaves you feeling very full, and only contains 310 calories.

Place half a cup of canned black beans into a microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp of Pace Picante sauce (I use Medium spice) and mix. Place in microwave.

Meanwhile, break two eggs into a frying pan. Scramble them. When about halfway cooked, microwave the beans on high for a minute. Stir the beans and microwave for another 45-60 seconds.

By then, the eggs should be just about scrambled. Pull the beans out of the microwave, scoop the eggs into the bowl on top of the beans, and add 1/8 of a cup of low fat shredded mild cheddar cheese. Mix lightly until cheese is melted and enjoy the hearty, gooey eggy-beanie mixture :smug:

JM14534
06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
What an amazing thread! Loving the taco salad idea. Another great one is a full can of Progresso Italian Wedding Soup or a whole can of Tomato soup with a few Crutons. Amazing!!

domesticbliss
12-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Tuna Salad Plate w/options
I got my calorie counts from Spark People
1 5oz pouch Starkist Tuna = 80 calories
1 Tbsp Light Mayo = 35 calories
Dill Relish = 0 calories (but check your brand)
1/2 cup Cottage cheese = 80 calories
1 cup Chopped apples = 74 calories
= 269 filling calories

swap out the apple for:
1 Fiber one brownie = 90
for: 285 calories (and you even get a brownie!)
OR
1 Wasa Multi grain Crispbread = 60 calories
1 Laughing cow cheese wedge = 35 calories
for: 290 calories

These are all filling, portable and quick!

Tigerlilly6
12-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Thanks everyone - this thread has been extremely helpful! When I lost a lot of weight in previous years I would go months and months without fast food, but it was a lot of hard work, preparation, and dishes. ;) You have all given me so many great and practical fast food options. Thanks again.

-Tigerlilly6

OOPS I just realized I posted this in the wrong calorie counters thread. Sorry guys.

Kaitie9399
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I just made this for dinner tonight and found the recipe on AllRecipes.com
It's salsa chicken.

Place thawed chicken breasts in a baking dish.
Coat with Taco seasoning.
Cover with a cup of salsa.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
Sprinkle Mexican Blend cheese on top and continue baking until cheese is melted.

Yummy. The calorie count depends on the size of your chicken breast and how much cheese you put on it. My calorie count came in just under 400 calories. And it's almost all protein, yeah!

Mcm
01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
1/3 of a Paul Newman thin crust margherita pizza is 280 and it amazing! Add a small salad with light dressing and your set

edoetsch1
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Just made this and LOVED it!

Secret Ingredient Meatloaf

1lb Ground Sirloin 93/7
46g Egg Beaters - Southwestern Style Egg Beaters
6oz Pepperidge Farm - Herb Seasoning Stuffing
onion (optional)
celery (optional)
peppers (optional)
3/4 cup water

I mixed all together, devided into 7 4oz servings. Placed them in oven using a muffin tin. (use muffin wrappers for easy clean up) Baked 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

(these calculations were bassed on Fitness Pal and I used onion, pepper, &celery)
Calories~146
Carbs~10
Fat~5
Protein~15

My Topping I used:
Del Monte - Ketchup , 6 table spoon
Domino - Light Brown Sugar , 3 Teaspoon

Mix and dived over all 7 meatoafs, put back in over for 10 more minutes.

If used add 22 calories to the meatloaf.

NJChick78
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM
OMG! Chili! :carrot:

24 oz jar of salsa
1 lbs of lean ground turkey
1 can of drained corn
1 can rinsed black beans
1 cup of low sodium fat free chicken broth
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Brown the turkey in a nonstick pan, pour all ingredients in slow cooker, cook 4 hours on low.

you can add cilantro to , more spices if you like it spicey.

the ENTIRE pot of chili is 1571 calories! so divided as you'd like. I made nice big servings of 4, 393 calories, VERY filling and delicious!

Intotouch
01-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I have a gorgeous new mince/ bolognese recipe that I'd like to share. Nutritionally it's almost a complete meal, full of vitamins, protein and fiber and tastes delicious! I love it and I hope you will too.

This is the recipe for one large batch. I make enough for 6 days and freeze half of it. I add enough potatoes to a portion to bring it up to just under 400kcal. It's fairly quick to cook, 20 to 30 minutes, but the prep takes about the same length of time for a large batch. This makes 6 portions of 210 kcal or 4 or 311kcal. Peas also are great in this.

150g onion, 390g pasata or chopped tomatoes, 700g mince, 300g chopped courgette, 200g chopped carrots.

1. Fry the onions and leave to one side (I use low cal spray oil, 15 sprays on the pan)
2. Brown the mince in a pan, stirring frequently on a high heat.
3. Once the meat is browned add the pasata, onion and carrots and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the courgette and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes. Add some water whenever the liquid looks low.

This makes a total of 1289kcal for the batch, including the spray oil.
214kcal for a sixth and 322kcal for a quarter.

I steam potatoes to eat with this and then pour the sauce on top to eat. 235g potatoes gives me a 155kcal portion so this comes in a total of 370kcal for the meal.

tacocat1
02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
My *******ized chicken/shrimp tacos
Serving size: 2 tacos
Calories per serving: 247.5 kcal / 267.5kcal

I got the calorie counts from the food labels

2 small corn torillas (110 kcal)
4oz of chicken breast(100kcal) or shrimp(120kcal)
2tbsp salsa (10kcal)
Salt
Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (0 kcal)
A little bit of lettuce or cabbage (~5 kcal)
1/8c fat free cheddar cheese(22.5 kcal) I don't think the cheese actually makes that much of a difference. I skip it sometimes.

Rub some Mrs Dash on the frozen chicken breast or the shrimp
For shrimp, pan fry it on a non stick pan (no oil)
For chicken, bake it at 375F for 30mins, and then shred it
Add salsa to shrimp or shredded chicken (I usually use 1tbs salsa verde, and 1tbs normal salsa)
Add a little salt if you want to
Lay some cabbage/lettuce on the warmed tortillas, and add split the shrimp/chicken mixture to the 2 tortillas
Top with cheese

tacocat1
02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Crustless spinach quiche (119 kcal per serving)
Makes 8 servings

12oz frozen spinach (120kcal) (thaw it)
3/4 c chopped green onions (60kcal)
1/4 c sliced shallots (58kcal)
1 c egg beaters (100kcal)
1 c low fat cottage cheese (180 kcal)
1 3/4 c fat free cheddar cheese (315 kcal)
1tbs olive oil (119.3 kcal)
salt

Heat olive oil in skillet, and and fry spinach, shallots, and green onions. Let cool
Mix everything else into the cooled spinach mixture, and put everything in a 9in diameter non stick baking pan
Stick it in the oven for 40-45 mins at 375F

Really good with some tabasco!

ainslie
07-19-2013, 08:45 PM
My fav comes in at about 235 cal.

1 whole English cucumber split in half with seeds removed
6 lean and lite turkey slices
4 wedges of lite laughing cow cheese
Diced onion and red pepper to taste

Mixed cheese and onion and pepper together
Spread on cucumber and top with turkey.

Breadless subs. Eat open faced or together. Really yummy and filling.

NJChick78
07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
If you have a Wegman's near by, they now have these yummy chopped salad kits. The entire bagged salad is 400 calories and just $2.99, cheaper than a fast food salad.

FatCroat
08-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I had a pretty awesome dinner tonight, wanted to share!

+ 2 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted (70cals each)
+ a few teaspoons of canned tuna (in water) scooped onto each slice (maybe 50cals)
+ a few slices of onion on top
+ a salad consisting of half a large tomato, a tablespoon of crumbled feta, and salt and pepper.

All together clocking in at 307cals on my fitness pal! I could have had another slice of toast and still kept it under 400! Yum!

BestDaysAhead
09-01-2014, 03:20 AM
so many good suggestions here :)