LA Weight Loss - Friends and Losers- March 1-7

View Full Version : Friends and Losers- March 1-7

mj2007
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey All

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Did some clothes shopping after a long time...a real long time !!! I lost inches so quickly that it was almost a waste of money to keep buying clothes!So I hid under thick jackets over the winter....but come spring I desperately need a wardrobe make over....otherwise ppl might just start donating me clothes:p

I bought a cute pair of jeans...a low rise skinny at a very decent price...a size 27, whatever that means...( i usually understand 10-12-14....better)

So how is everyone else?

dizneemom
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi All,

Lurking for a while, but I finally decided to post. I am trying to start LAWL all over again. Have been trying to piece together the program together by way of the internet and ordered a copy a couple of years ago that was e-mailed to me so just need to update. Lost tons 10 years ago at a center, and of course gained it all back again as soon as my husband lost his job and the stress started to build. Fourth pregnancy in between certainly didn't help. Anyway, this was the only program that worked for me, and I am desperate to lose the weight now. I have determined that I would be on Plan 4. Got the new protein portion sizes, but I really need is, what constitutes a starch portion (the program print out I have says that 1/2 small bagel or 1 Wasa cracker is 1 starch. Does this sound like the right amounts to be considered a starch? If it does then I know that the rest of starches listed with their amounts must be correct. Also, as far as the dairy, I have milk (8 oz.) cheese (part skim 2 oz.) Does this sound right? Other items are listed I just wanted to give a few examples to get a feel for correct portion sizes in the categories. Looking forward to any help or support I can get.

JLem311
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
wow, where the heck is everyone? busy working out or planning meals i hope! ha! :)

anyways, we had a nice bday weekend for my DH, we were gonna go bowling, but DD got sick on sunday, so we've postponed it until next weekend for my bday.

anyway, lots of stuff going on in our lives right now, so i may become quite scarce around here, but i'll try to check in every now and again.
i'm still working out 5 days a week and eating well..because no matter what's going on in my life, i REFUSE to let that slide.

hope everyone is well! check in you lurkers!! everyone can use the support and comments!

Hoochie
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry I havent checked in. I went to Vegas for a few days and have been swamped at work since I have returned. I only ate two meals a day while I was away. Although I did have a few liquid meals....I know its bad but I was in Vegas!!! Since I have been home, its been back to chicken, salads, fruit and all that healthy stuff. I actually missed it. I am still trying to walk 5 days a week. My target is not far away. I told my son I would be down 10 pounds for his grad in May. I want to look fantastic! Anyways have a great week everyone. keep your head up high. Eat good, exercise and put a smile on your face!

Joan

Joni135
03-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Tons of folks chimed in last week and now it's quiet...I've been swamped at work. I can try and answer the starch question from my old material....
Yes, 1/2 small bagel = a starch; 1 Wasa = 1 starch....
the milk items you listed are correct too...Sounds like you are on the right track.

Since we don't have LAWL in the Atlanta area, I'm now doing QWLC (quick weight loss center)...very familiar to LAWL, but the counselors are a whole lot better. I am hopeful!!

dizneemom
03-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi Joni,

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel like I am doing this in the dark a little. It has been so long since I have done this. Tried WW in between, for some reason it just didn't do the trick. Like I said at this point I am really desperate to get this weight off. More than how I look, I hate the way I feel. Kind of scared that I will fail again. Maybe I will see if they have that program here in New Jersey. Thanks again. Have a great day:)

JLem311
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
morning all.

Kimphin
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately, the past 2 weeks have sucked. DH has a herniated disk, so he has been home for 2 weeks, and yesterday I got a frantic call from him that the dog was having some sort of attack. I rushed home and we got Dodger to the vet, but his heart gave out before they could get him stabilized. I am heartbroken.

dawn78
03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Kim - oh no, I'm so sorry about Dodger...

Arkantana
03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Good morning all,

Kim I'm so sorry about Dodger. I know it's tough. About your husband's back, I'm not sure he could use one right away but man the inversion table I bought a month ago has helped my back so much. Just a few min a day and my lower back pain is pretty much gone. I just bought a cheap one $100 and it works great.

Ok so today is it...finally my last day at this stinkin job!!!! I made the decision a month ago that the stress and despair that goes with this job was not something I would waste my life on anymore. Life is short and we gotta do what makes us happy. I went back to school a few years ago to get my degree so I could really help people and what I found is that with most jobs in my field, your hands are tied when it comes to really doing some good. So, I'm outta here and on to my next adventure, although not really sure what it is yet, since there are many things I really would love to try. Besides there are so many opportunities to make a difference outside of work every day. Wish me luck ladies :D

JLem311
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately, the past 2 weeks have sucked. DH has a herniated disk, so he has been home for 2 weeks, and yesterday I got a frantic call from him that the dog was having some sort of attack. I rushed home and we got Dodger to the vet, but his heart gave out before they could get him stabilized. I am heartbroken.

oh kim, i'm so sorry. big huge hugs to you. :hug:

mj2007
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey all

Diznee- the portions are correct. But be careful about the limits. Like- 1/2 bagel, 1/3 cup white rice,baked potato - 1/2 are all 1 starch...but should be limited to no more than 3 times a week.... etc

Kim- Sorry to hear about your dog,it is hard coping with loss of a pet...thatz the sad part about having a pet,we always get soo attached, sometimes we even forget they have a limited life span... hope your DH is up and running soon!

Arkantana- Good luck with whatever you so girl!

I am doing okay...1st week of stabilization- unlimited veggies. I still hope to lose a couple of pounds.When I was in weight loss phase I did light exercising 2-3 times a week. So now I hope that increasing level of exercise and amount of food would balance out.Next few weeks I decided to do something physically challenging...like 30-day-shred. i got the DVD and liked it...I'll start tomorrow.
If someone already gone through the whole loss-stability-maintain stages I would really like to get some tips and strategies...

DCB
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone-

Swamped! I am packing for a temporary move to Chicago by month's end. The job market has been stagnate here in ATL for the last year...so I decided to move my cheese temporarily, cast a wide net and while I'm there take some professional courses at DePaul U. I grew up in Chicago so its familiar, and quite frankly I like the south and my home here..... hopefully the big snow blast for the midwest has passed. Fingers crossed.

As for the weightloss...I whined last week about the 1.5lb pendulum; finally I broke the spell. YEAH! I feel recharged and praying the lbs keep disappearing.

Diznee-Welcome! I like you was on LAWL; lost weight, gained the weight back (++ some) and now back on the beaten path. Aren't you happy you found this forum, I just joined two weeks ago and everyone has been so supportive.

Kim: So sorry to hear of your loss. You will never replace the love Dodger brought to your life but time and memories heal all things.

Arkantana- Good luck with your job endeavors. That's a tough decision but you sound so sure. When its time it's simply just that TIME.

Ok, gotta go make some calls.

BarbaraB
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi all! Been really busy at work, and today is stressfull because my dad is having triple bipass surgery and I won't relax until I am sure he came through OK, which hopefully I will know here soon... It is a pretty routine thing until they are doing it to you or a loved one. My sister is down with him in Arizona, if I was closer I'm sure I would be sitting in a hospital now instead of trying to concentrate on work.

It is just one more thing that makes me want to be sure that I have the healthiest habits that I can manage to live with. We all want to avoid getting that kind of a surgery, and they say there are half a million a year done in the USA.

dizneemom
03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi MJ,

It has been so long that really I didn't remember all the little rules. If you don't mind, if you could fill me in on the "etc's" of the program I would really really appreciate it! I hope everyone doensn't mind me barging in on the group I just need some help getting started again. I am excited that I finished my take off and it seems that I am down 2.5 pounds :) Moving in the right direction. DCB - Thanks for the welcome and the words of encouragement. Off to get the kids on the bus. Have a great day everyone

dizneemom
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Again,

Another question for the group. In regards to eggs as protein, in the list I have it says three eggs (only 6 per week) or 6 egg whites = 1 protein. Sounds like a lot to me, just wanted to double check with all the experts out there. Thanks again.

mj2007
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
diznee-all the ladies here are very supportive and no one minds answering questions...so dont hesitate to ask!

There are lot of little things that yon need to keep in mind...I'll try to give you a general idea.

Starches- All kinds of white stuff, white rice,potatos...pasta etc...no more that 3 times a week...same goes for anything that contains sugar and salt such as cereals( less than 6 g sugar per serving), pretzels etc

Protein- All kinds of dark meat( poultry, veal, lamb, beef) should be limited to 3 times per week. Same goes for oily fish like salmon, fresh tuna , trout etc

Veggies- Limit use of vegetable juice, pasta sauce...etc

Fruits- Limited use of canned, dried fruits...also fruit juices

fats- limited use of butter, coconut milk, regular cream cheese ...anything that is not lite.

In my guide, there is not limitation to eggs.
2 eggs = 8 egg whites= 1 cup egg substitute = 1 protein

dizneemom
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks MJ, that definitely helps a lot. I know that you are all very supportive, and I really appreciate it. Actually before I got started again I lurked for a while and it gave me the push to try again. Just wanted to clarify that it would only be the white starchy stuff limited to 3x a week, but the starch that is whole grain, i.e. wasa cracker, ww pasta, is ok without restriction to amount of times per week as long as I don't go over the amount I am allowed per day. Very different than when I did this nine years ago, much more restrictive than as far as the food choices allowed and only FF stuff. I think that might have been my problem, I was just eating the same stuff over and over again. No carb cravers then either. Oh, I hope you don't mind just another question about cottage cheese, I have 3/4 cup= 1 protein. Does that sound right to you? Thanks so much for all of your help, it really is nice to "speak" to someone.

mj2007
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Diznee-

ur welcome! I think you should follow the Rapid Results menu for the first 20 lbs...check that thread out.It will give you some idea about the limits.

This plan is stricter...after first 20 lbs you get some more food like pasta etc and the limits change from 2 times a week to 3 times a week. You can eat WW pasta, brown rice after the first 20 lbs...but I would still advice you not to overdo it because rice and pasta doesnt help with WL. The weight just stays the same.I will have to check the cottage cheese part...but I do know it is loaded with tons of sodium...so be careful!

I have lost almost 2 lbs a week right till the end just by eating lean protein, fruits, veggies and whole-grain starch only...I had lite pizza 1-2 a week...and portion controlled or lean cuisine occasionally...thatz all.I have noticed that people who want to bend the rules and try work around ,actually hit plateau...personally, I never did!

dizneemom
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
MJ

Thanks so much!!! I saw you bumped the rapid results, so all I need now is to put paper in printer and copy. I can't begin to tell you how appreciative I am for sharing your info and encouragement. I will definitely keep you posted. I think I am starting to get the hang of this posting thing. Wasn't much of one before ( I am sure it shows). Started the day doing just the regular program, fruits, veggies proteins and stuck to only two ww starches, so I think I am still good to go to transfer to the rapid results program. I don't know if you will know the answer to this, but if I am 5' 5" at 243 do you think I would do the Plan 3? Thanks again. Hope I am not bothering you too much. Looking forward to just chatting and not always picking your brain.

mj2007
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Diznee - You are right on top of things!!! :) keep it up ...and do participate in our weekly chatter.

This is my first time on LAWL and I heard the Number plans are fairly new.I have only been on Plan-2 and Plan-1 and they are equivalent to Plan-3 & plan-2 without lites. I would guess you need plan-3 with lites i.e plan-4 without lites. Unfortunately I do not have the portion sizes for plan-4. You might add 1dairy+1 veg to Plan 3 and see how it goes :)

Or may be someone else can help you with plan-4 portions.

jovigirl
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I was on gold plan when I did LAWL. I am starting over and as far as I can tell I am on plan 2. I am preparing my food the night before for the next day and whatever I have left over is what I eat for dinner. If I know in advance what I am making in particular for dinner the next day then I will base the food for the rest of the day around that. I know if I start slacking off on the prep work then I fall off the wagon pretty quickly.

BarbaraB
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
They didn't have the rapid results thing when I was going to the COD. They only came out with that after they created the numbered plans and found people were unhappy with slow results. Of course the colored plans were already really low starch to start with. Smaller portion sizes and fewer of them, so there was less wiggle room to get into trouble with. They saved the cut out the other starches advice for when you hit a plateau.... well that and the take offs. I haven't done a take off in a long while... wonder if I should consider it... and going back on plan, this calorie counting thing is spiraling out of control (I'm not keeping good track again which seems to always happen when I try calorie counting).

mj2007
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Diznee- Cottage cheese 1% 1 cup= 1 protein

Hoochie
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Kim- I passed by all the messages when i say what happened to Dodger. I just went thru that last year with my dog. It is the most heart wrenching thing ever. I still have hooch that is 12 years old and we bought a puppy about 4 months agao which I swore I would never do after going thru the ordeal. I think about my Dexter every day still. I have some awesome pictures and lots of memories. I am so sorry!!!
Big hugs to you!!

Joan

Joni135
03-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Kim - I'm so sorry for your loss....our pets are truly are children and I know this is difficult for both you and DH. Did they say what happened exactly??

Kimphin
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi all - thanks for the support. DH and I are very sad, and the house seems really lonely, even though Dodger slept most of the day away! DH is handling it worse than me because he was there when the initial seizure.

Joni - We don't know 100%, possibilities include syncope, renal failure or diabetes (which I don't believe). Don brought him outside, he did his business, came in, got a treat, walked around for a few minutes and then had the seizure. When I got home he was quietly laying in his bed, was calm on the ride to the vet (but not terribly active). He seized once more at the vet and he was conscious but not aware. When they took him for and EKG and X-ray, he crashed. It all seems so fast, but he was 2 months shy of 16 years old, so he had lived a good long healthy life right up to the end. I have come to terms with that, but Don is still in the "what the He** just happened" phase.

The diet has not been great, needless to say. I have still been going to the gym, so that's a positive.