General chatter - What are you reading?-March 2010

View Full Version : What are you reading?-March 2010

Smiling_Sara
03-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Another month of sharing what we are reading. I don't know about you all, but I'm so happy it's finally March!

I am about 3/4 of the way through My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler. She is hilarious!

ANOther
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
The Winter Olympics, and the Olympic read-a-thon, end, and I started in with Capture by Robert Tannenbaum

LuckyJules
03-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Well the title still says February :)

I'm in transition of books currently, but I plan on starting the Beach House by Jane Green here soon.

Smiling_Sara
03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
ahh! bummer! thank you for pointing that out LuckyJules! Perhaps a mod can fix that? I tried but it wouldn't let me.

Brittany1988
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
1984 by George Orwell :D

I have a whole list of books to read.

CanadianCutie
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I just finished The Shining before bed last night, and am planning on starting Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay. I went a little book happy at Chapters (Canada's version of Borders), I bought 3 novels and about 6 crossword puzzle books. What can I say I'm a nerd.

LovelyComplex
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor.

MotoMichelle
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I finished the Twilight saga last night. It started going downhill for me in the third book. The ending of the fourth book, and thus the whole saga, was a let down. Quite the fizzle.

Overall the books were ok but I'm glad I'm done.

I'm giving my eyes a rest for a couple days and plan to start Palimpsest by Catherynne Valente (http://www.amazon.com/Palimpsest-Catherynne-Valente/dp/0553385763/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267815660&sr=1-1) next.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ei_YYVXXw-4/ShCjxoEbtPI/AAAAAAAAA3I/Hy1p94SSKog/s400/palimpsest.jpg

Glory87
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I finished 2 books recently:

A Friend of the Family (http://www.amazon.com/Friend-Family-Lauren-Grodstein/dp/1565129164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267821817&sr=8-1) - loved this one! My only complaint was there was such a powerful build-up, the actual "mystery" might have been a let down (2 mysteries actually). But, just great characters, great pacing, great suspense, great writing.

Little Face (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Face-Sophie-Hannah/dp/B001RNI34E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267821888&sr=1-1) - I've read two books recently by this author and really liked them. This book was INFURIATING. The ending pissed me off so much, it was a huge cheat. I would give this book 2 stars, great writing, crap story.

HMS
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I've just finished "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson which I really enjoyed ... maybea wee bit gruesome at the beginning and the end .....but well worth it for the rest!

And I've started "Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver ...

CanadianCutie
03-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I've just finished "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson which I really enjoyed ... maybea wee bit gruesome at the beginning and the end .....but well worth it for the rest!...

The Gargoyle is next on my list, and I have a feeling I will be starting it very soon, as I am flying through Sarah's Key.

AzimuthRing
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I just finished Wesley the Owl, by Stacey O'Brien.

I found it at the grocery store one night and I told myself it would last me at least a week. It lasted one night. :)

It is a quick read about a young biologist who adopts an orphaned and physically challenged owl at 3 days old. He, Wesley the owl, lived for 19 years. It was amazing to read how devoted the biologist and the owl were to one another.

CanadianCutie
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Just finished Sarah's Key this morning. I recommend it, it is an emotional read, but I couldn't put it down, only stopped reading when I was on the verge of sleep. As stated above I'm about to start The Gargoyle.

LandonsBaby
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
One People, Two Worlds: A Reform Rabbi and an Orthodox Rabbi Explore the Issues That Divide Them
God in Search of Man
The War Against the Jews
His First Wife

HMS
03-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Just finished Sarah's Key this morning. I recommend it, it is an emotional read, but I couldn't put it down, only stopped reading when I was on the verge of sleep. As stated above I'm about to start The Gargoyle.

Hope you enjoy it ..... I do know a couple of people that hated it and a couple who loved it ..... let me know what you think ..... :)

mandalinn82
03-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Shadow of the Giant (Orson Scott Card)...before that my fiction pick was "Shadow Puppets" in the same series. Somehow I read the whole Ender series without hitting any of the Shadow series, so it's neat.

Just finished a fascinating pair of books on doctors and diagnosis - "How Doctors Think" and "Every Patient Tells a Story".

And then I have The Hunger Games coming....it was recommended.

Glory87
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I just finished Every Patient Tells a Story!

rachinma
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm currently reading:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
-Robert Heinlein

Don't Make Me Think
-Steve Krug

I just finished reading some Carl Hiassen stuff and also The Help, by Kathryn Sockett.

I read a lot. :)

sotypical
03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter and like others said the ending was kinda eh... seemed to drag on and I just kept waiting for something to happen. It wasn't a bad book, but don't think I need to read it again.

Now I am really Shutter Island, trying to finish it fast because I wanna read the 4th Twilight book again, haha.

fattiegirl
03-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi folks, currently reading Stuck why we can't or won't move on by Anneli Rufus

lolajean624
03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I am trying to keep up with my 13 year old who is reading the Vampire Diary Series by LJ Smith - she is officially obsessed with vampires and werewolves.

MotoMichelle
03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Palimpsest is really not doing it for me. I guess it's just not my kind of book. I'm about 1/3 into it and will try to push through.

mrsaugie
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I just started The Good The Bad and The Mad. It is a nonfiction book with just some odd and little know facts about famous people. It is a quick read this is actually the second time I am reading it.

ambpure
03-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Many women will probably think I'm insane, but I'm reading 'ultimate hitchhiker' (all 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' books by Douglas Adams), which I think is probably the funniest thing I ever read...

rachinma
03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Many women will probably think I'm insane, but I'm reading 'ultimate hitchhiker' (all 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' books by Douglas Adams), which I think is probably the funniest thing I ever read...
Not *this* woman. Sci-fi junkie with a quirky sense of humor here.

Ruthxxx
03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Just finished "The Books of Negroes" - excellent - and am ploughing through John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted River". Next on the book club list is "Middlesex". I've also got Alice Munroe's "Runaway" on the go plus "The End to Overeating".

No wonder I never get any housework done!

grrlscout
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I started Animal, Vegetable, Mineral during vacation, and got about half way through. Now that I'm home, progress has slowed immensely.

A lot of it hits on points brought up in the film Food, Inc., but on a more personal, experiential level.

artic123
03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
The Liberated Bride by A.B. Yehoshua

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-cat/lb/170/135/166/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

CanadianCutie
03-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Still reading The Gargoyle and enjoying it, the writer's style reminds me of Jackson Tippett McCrae who wrote The Bark of the Dogwood. Dark, humorous, sad.

I also joined the ranks of the Vampire people. I got myself a Sony reader for when I travel, and my local library has ebooks available so I downloaded the Twilight Series from them, started it this morning as I was on the go very early. So far so good.

heidi in PA
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm currently reading The Otherworld Series by Yasmin Galehorn.

Song of Surly
03-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Not insane at all! That series is definitely in the list of my top ten favorite books. Adams seems to have a finger on the humor found inheritently in well... just existence. It's like reading careless profundity. Any time I need a good laugh and a bit of a slap in the face, I read the sperm whale and bowl of petunias section of the Hitchiker's Guide.

Reading a few things currently. Have to juggle between class reading and my reading quite frequently.

Moby Dick - Herman Melville. LOVING it. I'm really quite ashamed I've never read this before. I've always loved Melville's short stories, but never got around to his monster of a novel. I've been delightfully surprised at just how cool Ishmael is.

The Plague - Albert Camus. I wish I knew French so I could read it in its original form. In my opinion, Camus definitely deserved the Nobel prize in lit. for this book alone.

I'm also reading a collection of essays by Bertrand Russell on the side.

All kinds of light reading. Lol. I think I need some humor next month, for sure.

mandalinn82
03-13-2010, 03:43 PM
OK so, I learned a valuable book lesson.

Everyone told me, "You MUST read The Hunger Games". There was a whole contingent devoted to getting me to read this book. I read a plot summary, and honestly, it sounded weird. I was NOT INTERESTED.

Finally I gave into peer pressure and I could NOT put it down...was up until 2am reading and woke up early to finish it.

So the lesson - don't judge a book by its plot summary!

Glory87
03-13-2010, 04:36 PM
You didn't think it was a little...kiddie? It was like a lite version of The Long Walk! The whole lovey dovey thing was very Twilight and annoying (to me).

mandalinn82
03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
You didn't think it was a little...kiddie? It was like a lite version of The Long Walk! The whole lovey dovey thing was very Twilight and annoying (to me).

Well, I read the whole Twilight series too...I'm not obsessed like many, but I did enjoy them for what they were.

My reading list has some room for fluff (the other book I'm reading right now is "When Gay People Get Married", which is an analysis of what actually happens to marriage trends and stability in both same sex and different sex couples when gay people are given the right to marry, based on data from the Netherlands and other parts of Europe that have given some variation of rights, so I do read heavier things as well), and I have a great appreciation for young adult fiction. Particularly, I tend to enjoy books about smart kids that get put in difficult/extreme/challenging situations (which was why the Ender series was so appealing), so it was right up my alley.

It's considered a Young Adult title, so yeah, it was written to an audience younger than I am. But I still enjoyed it.

Glory87
03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love fluff!! I just kind of wanted more like the Long Walk and it ended up being Twilight-y (for me). I ended up wishing a different author had run with the premise! Gladitorial-style games, always a crowd pleaser around here ;)

CanadianCutie
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Just finished with Twilight (not the entire saga, just the first book), and honestly for me, it was a struggle to get through. I just didn't enjoy it. I'm starting The City & the city tonight.

pinkalarmclock
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I just finished Red Zen by Jason Earls and Mansfield Park by Jane Austen...just started Hotel of Irrevocable Acts by Carl Watson and about to start The Van by Roddy Doyle.

and Song of Surly have you read Albert Camus' The Stranger I thing is the name. If you have, how did you think it compared to The plague bc I enjoyed the strnager a good bit.

Smiling_Sara
03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
About to start Breaking Dawn in the Twilight series.

ANOther
03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
It took me forever to read that darn Capture and I couldn't figure out the connection between the two subplots (the theatrical producer accused of murdering a starlet, and the terrorist gang). Anyway, now I'm on Murder at the Academy Awards

Jane
03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Just finished (and loved) Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, and now beginning Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.

lizziep
03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I just finished "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolley and it was phenomenal. Best book I've read in a long time.

Mandalinn- i'm curious to know what you think about the Shadow Series? I liked it much better then the Ender Series and in the end I think I love Bean a little more then Ender. :)

Hubby and I have been listening to an audio version of a young adults fantasy novel called "The Iron King" by Julie Kagawa. It is really really good.

misspriss78
03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I am trying to keep up with my 13 year old who is reading the Vampire Diary Series by LJ Smith - she is officially obsessed with vampires and werewolves.

this is the series i plan on reading next!

Right now im reading Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris. Im not even sure what book it is in the series...it has taken me forever to read(busy the past few months) but i have really enjoyed the book and all the books in the Sookie Stackhouse series.

AzimuthRing
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi MissPriss,

I too have enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series. The only bad thing about it, is they always seem like a quick read because I want to know what happens and I can't put them down.

wendychic
03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm reading Paula Deen Memoirs It Ain't All About the Cookin' . Really interesting about her life, I had no idea some of the things about her.
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, need to get back to that, but had to take a break.